PDA

View Full Version : 23andMe "in common" tool?

ilmari
08-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Hello,

I've had several messages from 23andMe members recently that speak about "in common" cousins in the 23andMe database, and often they provide a list to me.

Is there a new tool that is, so far, not obvious to me within the tools at 23andMe?

The only other thing I can think of is that people are taking the time to check me against all of their matches in Family Inheritance: Advanced.

Any light shed upon this will be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

DMXX
08-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I haven't heard of any tool like that, but it's quite possible they've also collected Ancestry Finder matches and are comparing those lists.

thetick
08-20-2012, 04:47 AM
Is the "in common" list from the Compare Genes tool? If so it's pretty worthless for cousin matches. It is just comparing results SNP by SNP and listing a similarity percentage. It's good to verify parents, siblings, and shared ethnic background.

ilmari
08-20-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't know where they are getting these "in common" lists, but I've now had at least 5 new members from 23andMe send me similar requests, all with very similar messages and a list of in common folks. None of the names are the same on any of these new lists.

Usually, I am offered to test new tools before they go "public" with them, so it is a mystery to me for now.

Ann Turner
08-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Humata is probably right. It's not a 23andMe feature per se, but you can now download Ancestry Finder match lists for anyone/everyone you share with. If you want to pursue that route yourself, search 23andMe for a thread with the word DownloadThemAll in it. It puts merges the individual lists into one big file for use with Excel. Once in Excel, I used a pivot table to locate matches "in common with."

ilmari
08-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks Ann and Humata.

jowston
09-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I would recommend clearing out all of the anonymous matches when doing this. It makes house keeping a lot easier.

Jim

Stephen1986
09-08-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm not a new member of 23andMe, but I often look to see if me and my RF matches have any AF matches in common.