PDA

View Full Version : MyHeritage DNA results for myself, my mother and father[newbie]

samiam79
01-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Hello,

I just joined the forum yesterday with goals of learning a bit more about biological Anthropology and human genetic history. Over the few years, I've been exploring DNA and seeing what can it tell about my genetic history. I've been doing genealogical research on my family for 18 years and was curious to see what secrets my genes held. Out of all the DNA results, I'm a skeptic when it comes to the accuracy of all those ethnic tests commercial DNA companies push on television. With that said, the results of myself, my parents and me has me scratching my head.

For historical and cultural purposes, my father identifies as Louisiana Creole culturally and my mother identifies herself as Black. My father's known ancestors within the last 300 years were French, Italian, Corsican and Senegalese Africans of the Wolof and Fula nations. Some of his forebears were free persons of color and slaves of mixed origins, too. My mother's ancestors were mostly post-emancipation era former slaves in the deep south. She does have Scottish, British and Swiss forebears further back in time because of a White Anglo great-great grandfather.There is some possible Virginia Indian ancestry back into the 17th century because of her fpoc GIBSON lineage.

Because of the nature of the slave trade and the British not keeping details on the ethnic origins of African captives, I can never know the specific cultural origins of her African forebearers beyond an abstract reading of history. I'm sure she has other unknown European ancestors because I match with White Southerners and even a woman from New Zealand.

I don't know how to post images yet. I'll have to type in text. Here goes.

MyHeritage DNA results[ME]
Africa
67.5%
West Africa
60.7%
Nigerian
44.4%
West African
8.9%
Sierra Leonean
7.4%
East Africa
5.8%
Kenyan
5.8%
Central Africa
1.0%
Europe
30.9%
South Europe
27.3%
Italian
16.2%
Greek
11.1%
North and West Europe
3.6%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
3.6%
America
1.6%
South America
1.6%
Indigenous Amazonian
1.6%

[MOTHER's results]

Africa
77.5%
West Africa
65.3%
Nigerian
41.4%
West African
16.2%
Sierra Leonean
7.7%
East Africa
10.6%
Kenyan
10.6%
Central Africa
1.6%
Central African
1.6%
Europe
14.4%
North and West Europe
10.5%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
10.5%
East Europe
3.9%
East European
2.3%
Balkan
1.6%
Asia
4.4%
West Asia
4.4%

America
1.9%
Native American
1.9%
Native American
1.9%
Oceania
1.8%
Oceania
1.8%
Melanesian
1.8%

(DAD'S RESULTS)

56.0%
West Africa
50.1%
Nigerian
36.7%
West African
13.4%
East Africa
5.9%
Kenyan
5.9%
Europe
41.1%
South Europe
24.2%
Italian
24.2%
North and West Europe
14.9%
North and West European
14.9%
Ashkenazi Jewish
2.0%
Ashkenazi Jewish
2.0%
America
2.9%
Central America
1.9%
Central American
1.9%
South America
1.0%
Indigenous Amazonian
1.0%

msmarjoribanks
01-24-2018, 08:12 PM
What are your questions or puzzles? With just a quick look, your results seem to line up well with your parents and theirs seem consistent with what you know of the background, but I could have missed something.

Did you test at MyHeritage? I think you can upload the test to Gedmatch, which sometimes provides interesting additional information and more opportunity for matches.

msmarjoribanks
01-24-2018, 08:13 PM
Oh, and welcome!