PDA

View Full Version : The Nigerian thing!

firemonkey
01-25-2018, 01:32 AM
I reuploaded my Ancestry data and got a little Nigerian! The Native American and South Asian went to be replaced by the West African and Central Asian.

timberwolf
01-25-2018, 01:52 AM
I reuploaded my Ancestry data and got a little Nigerian! The Native American and South Asian went to be replaced by the West African and Central Asian.

The same for me, I received 1 % Nigerian and also 1.6% North African.

kitbluee
01-25-2018, 08:13 AM
snap! i was 3.6% finnish and 1.3% middle east,
now im 4% finnish and 1.4% nigerian...

i kinda feel like were owed a refund at this point

kitbluee
01-25-2018, 08:14 AM
im gonna try again and see if i get anything else different.

Sangarius
01-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Do you all have ancestry DNA kits?

miremont
01-25-2018, 09:05 AM
and got a little Nigerian!

Same here. My father is European, so it definitely is statistical noise.

Quite a few Europeans have reported getting Nigerian in their ethnicity estimate (not too impressed by their estimates in general).

timberwolf
01-25-2018, 09:05 AM

In my case yes.

miremont
01-25-2018, 09:06 AM

Nope, FTDNA.

Sangarius
01-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Nope, FTDNA.

Now that is strange, since MyHeritage uses FTDNA kits itself. So, it's not due to comparability issues.

miremont
01-25-2018, 09:17 AM
Now that is strange, since MyHeritage uses FTDNA kits itself. So, it's not due to comparability issues.

Indeed. It is most likely their software algorithm, which does differ from FTDNA's.

greerpalmer
01-25-2018, 03:21 PM
I've uploaded both multiple test kits to MyHeritage and received strikingly consistent results within 0.5% I do get a good chunk North African but even 23andme finds a little...
FTDNA gave me 1.5% central east african so I'd say its an improvement...

lilac9
01-25-2018, 06:26 PM
I reuploaded my 23andme results on the 18th and still waiting on results. What's going on?

kitbluee
01-25-2018, 06:46 PM

mines myheritage. literally just reuploading the same info lol

Sangarius
01-25-2018, 06:52 PM
mines myheritage. literally just reuploading the same info lol

Well, that sucks. But to be honest, their admixture analysis isn't that great anyway. In your signature you state that you ordered from FTDNA. Afaik you can simply transfer your myHeritage kit to FTDNA for free, no?

Mstock
01-25-2018, 08:04 PM
I uploaded my ancestrydna raw data 2 and a half months ago on MyHeritage and received the following

North and West European
44.2%
English
23.1%
South Europe
21.2%
Italian
13.5%
Iberian
7.7%
East Europe
11.5%

After reading this post I went back and reuploaded same raw data again yesterday and received

North and West European
58.4%
English
13.1%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
4.5%
Balkan
8.2%
East European
6.9%
South Europe
5.5%
Italian
5.5%
North African
2.5%
Nigerian
0.9%.

It looks to be confusing my Iberian Dna for African Dna.

kitbluee
01-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Well, that sucks. But to be honest, their admixture analysis isn't that great anyway. In your signature you state that you ordered from FTDNA. Afaik you can simply transfer your myHeritage kit to FTDNA for free, no?

yes, but someone else paid for the tests so i cant complain ;)

BalkanKiwi
01-25-2018, 11:59 PM
After reading this thread I thought I'd upload my 23andMe data, and now get 1.9% North African and 0.9% Nigerian.

Mstock
01-26-2018, 12:33 AM
Welcome to the club balkankiwi

firemonkey
01-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Re uploaded FTDNA data .

kingjohn
01-26-2018, 12:27 PM
so what is the big deal 1.5% are
in noise level .......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria#/media/File:Nigeria_(orthographic_projection).svg

lukaszM
01-26-2018, 12:35 PM
I'm afraid to re-uplaod now:)

Vestri
01-26-2018, 12:57 PM
I just uploaded my FTDNA and my AncestryDNA kits, my original kit upload was my 23andMe V3 kit.

Be interesting to see what happens, if anything.

My 23andMe V3 transfered results;

Europe 100.0%
North and West Europe 93.3%

English 62.7%
Scandinavian 29.2%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 1.4%

East Europe 6.7%
East European 6.7%

Vestri 100.0%

I'll edit this post when other results come in,

AncestryDNA transfered Results

FTDNA transfered Results

msmarjoribanks
01-26-2018, 01:35 PM
I screwed up the uploading of my FTDNA kit before so went ahead and did it again. Will be interesting to see how it compares to my Ancestry kit I uploaded months ago, and of course to see if I get Nigerian.

lilac9
01-26-2018, 08:34 PM
I reuploaded my results last week and still haven't received an ethnicity estimate. I sent an e-mail about it and no response. Is this only with Ancestry data?

I just tried to reload my Ancestry raw data and it said I had already uploaded that file and assigned it to myself! Well yeah I know that! Seems like they are discouraging reuploads.

I'm guessing you would have to delete the former upload in order to get another estimate.

FionnSneachta
01-26-2018, 09:52 PM
I reuploaded my results last week and still haven't received an ethnicity estimate. I sent an e-mail about it and no response. Is this only with Ancestry data?

I just tried to reload my Ancestry raw data and it said I had already uploaded that file and assigned it to myself! Well yeah I know that! Seems like they are discouraging reuploads.

I'm guessing you would have to delete the former upload in order to get another estimate.

My mum's took about a week or more when I uploaded it from Ancestry. I don't know the exact dates and I was wondering about it too but waited it out since it wasn't urgent or anything. I uploaded my dad's FTDNA kit on the 17th, I got the ethnicity estimate the next day (I got the ethnicity and matches on the one day for my mum's kit) but I only got his matches today. They also don't send out an email when it's ready so check your account every day. Just be patient with it. It should come in soon.

Mstock
01-26-2018, 10:33 PM
It takes about 9-10 hours from start to finish with uploading ancestrydna raw data

msmarjoribanks
01-27-2018, 12:14 AM
Heh, so I did properly upload my FTDNA. For comparison, here's my Ancestry upload to MyHeritage, from months ago:

Europe 95.7%

North and West Europe 92.5%
English 55.2%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 16.8%
North and West European 11.5%
Scandinavian 7.5%
Finnish 1.5%

East Europe 1.9%
Baltic 1.9%

South Europe 1.3%
Iberian 1.3%

Asia 4.3%
West Asia 3.2%
Central Asia 1.1%

And here's my new one from my upload from FTDNA, not that different except for one addition:

Europe 95.6%

North and West Europe 93.8%
English 55.3%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 20.8%
North and West European 9.7%
Scandinavian 6.9%
Finnish 1.1%

East Europe 1.8%
Baltic 1.8%

Asia 3.1%
Central Asia 2.0%
West Asia 1.1%

Africa 1.3%
West Africa 1.3%
Nigerian 1.3%

For the record, I uploaded my parents' FTDNA results months ago too (I didn't do mine because somehow I accidentally uploaded my mother's and didn't notice and then didn't care since I had the Ancestry already so just didn't bother redoing). Anyway, my parents did not have the Nigerian. It's clearly some weird new bug.

Vestri
01-27-2018, 09:45 PM
Lol so, here's my results compared..

My 23andMe V3 transfered results;

Europe 100.0%

North and West Europe 93.3%
English 62.7%
Scandinavian 29.2%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 1.4%

East Europe 6.7%
East European 6.7%

Vestri 100.0%

FTDNA

Europe 98.0%

English 55.5%
Scandinavian 32.3%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 4.7%

East Europe 5.5%
East European 5.5%

Africa 1.2%
West Africa1.2%
Nigerian 1.2%

Middle East 0.8%
Middle East 0.8%
Middle Eastern 0.8%

VestriFTDNA DNA 100.0%

AncestryDNA

Europe 98.0%

North and West Europe 92.7%
English 54.7%
Scandinavian 32.1%
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 5.9%

East Europe 5.3%
East European 5.3%

Africa 1.2%
West Africa 1.2%
Nigerian 1.2%

Middle East 0.8%
Middle East 0.8%
Middle Eastern 0.8%

FTDNA and AncestryDNA are almost the exact same. Just a few 0.1%'s in difference.

23andMe is the better result and most accurate IMO.

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 03:52 AM
My dad gets a bit of North African (Geno 2.0 transfer). He doesn't get that on any other test. It also put all of his non-Eastern European as Irish, Scottish or Welsh which is no way true. That said, at least it did detect about the proper amount of non-Eastern European which FTDNA MyOrigins can't do.

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 03:53 AM
23andMe is the better result and most accurate IMO.

surprising since the FTDNA chip is almost the same while 23 v4 is a lot more different

Researcher212
01-28-2018, 04:31 AM
I re-uploaded mine and the 1.8% Ashkenazi Jewish is gone, as is South Asian, but now I gained North and West Africa for a total of 2.2%! no other test I have taken with or uploaded to such as Ancestry, FTDNA, DNALAND, and, Gencove show African. Also, my original ethnicities of Scandinavian, Italian, and Balkan went down a few percentages each; but Eastern European went up 2% and I now gained Irish, Scottish and Welsh! How long does it take for the DNA matches with other people take to show?

Trixster
01-30-2018, 06:30 AM
I'd say Myheritage is a hot mess of faulty algorithms atm. There has been a multitude of people with otherwise strictly European results with other vendors show up on average ~1 to 2% ish Nigerian in their results within the past couple of weeks. The responses for the most part have been amusing. Having said this, seems to me it's a waste of money if they are sending people on wild goose chases for non existent ancestors.

BalkanKiwi
01-30-2018, 06:44 AM
I would like to think the people who have researched their tree, and have an understanding of autosomal DNA, to have enough know how to consider Nigerian to be false. It's more going to catch out the newbies who see it and take it literally.

Trixster
01-30-2018, 03:05 PM
I would like to think the people who have researched their tree, and have an understanding of autosomal DNA, to have enough know how to consider Nigerian to be false. It's more going to catch out the newbies who see it and take it literally.

Yep. Exactly, lol

JerryS.
01-30-2018, 04:41 PM
so what is the big deal 1.5% are
in noise level .......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria#/media/File:Nigeria_(orthographic_projection).svg

why not statistical noise from the middle east or far east? why always W. Africa and specifically Nigeria? seems like the model has some real problems.

msmarjoribanks
01-30-2018, 09:23 PM
I think it's a bug of some sort. It's not even real noise.

evon
01-30-2018, 09:56 PM
I have looked through over 50 new Norwegian matches today and the wast majority of them get around 1% Nigerian, so it is clearly a "bug" causing noise. Myheritage will likely fix it with a recalculation of everybody soon.. As at this point there must be 1000's of people wondering about a long lost Nigerian ancestor :\

timberwolf
01-30-2018, 10:08 PM
I have looked through over 50 new Norwegian matches today and the wast majority of them get around 1% Nigerian, so it is clearly a "bug" causing noise. Myheritage will likely fix it with a recalculation of everybody soon.. As at this point there must be 1000's of people wondering about a long lost Nigerian ancestor :\

Yes it is clearly a bug and it is in beta mode, so it is hardly the finished product.

Also as most people have used the free upload option, then it is, what it is.

Myheritage is probably at its most useful for its matches, more then its ancestry calculator which is a bit of a hot mess.

I am far more interested in finding out whether my Scandinavian, Spanish and southern French matches are actually real matches or false positives.

Robert1
01-31-2018, 12:57 AM
You mean I'm NOT related to that Nigerian Prince?!!! No I can't believe that. The guy said I was. So I'm still waiting for my big payday. A big suitcase full of money is supposed to come any day! :biggrin1:

Modernancientdna
01-31-2018, 01:12 AM
I'd say Myheritage is a hot mess of faulty algorithms atm. There has been a multitude of people with otherwise strictly European results with other vendors show up on average ~1 to 2% ish Nigerian in their results within the past couple of weeks. The responses for the most part have been amusing. Having said this, seems to me it's a waste of money if they are sending people on wild goose chases for non existent ancestors.

Depends where your ancestors lived, many people have existing amount SSA/MENA admixture and in case of MyHeritage is overestimated as "Nigerian". MyHeritage doesnt have extensive population references to begin with, leaving many holes in their reports. Personally I notice "Nigerian" is usually accompanied with (North African, Southern European and Jewish components).

Trixster
01-31-2018, 01:57 AM

I've seen quite a few people post their Ancestry kits showing no SSA or North African (or even middle eastern) side by side with their MH results showing that notorious 1%.

Seems to be rampant with transfers. And yes, these people are wrapped into finding these ancestors.

Good news is at least the uploads are free so no financial loss. But clearly Ancestry > Myheritage

Lol..

Modernancientdna
01-31-2018, 02:57 AM
I've seen quite a few people post their Ancestry kits showing no SSA or North African (or even middle eastern) side by side with their MH results showing that notorious 1%.

Seems to be rampant with transfers. And yes, these people are wrapped into finding these ancestors.

Good news is at least the uploads are free so no financial loss. But clearly Ancestry > Myheritage

Lol..

Good to know you are now genetics expert, couple months ago you were unable to analyze your own results pertaining to Jewish admixture, hence you asked me to interpret results. MyHeritage, Ancestry, 23andme, FTDNA, are profiting "business" providing "estimate" should not be taken literal the components or analysis from any company mentioned cause they are exactly "estimates" neither true or false, nonetheless if is satisfying you can lead the revolt against "Nigerian" component.

JerryS.
01-31-2018, 03:10 AM
Good to know you are now genetics expert, couple months ago you were unable to analyze your own results pertaining to Jewish admixture, hence you asked me to interpret results. MyHeritage, Ancestry, 23andme, FTDNA, are profiting "business" providing "estimate" should not be taken literal the components or analysis from any company mentioned cause they are exactly "estimates" neither true or false, nonetheless if is satisfying you can lead the revolt against "Nigerian" component.

first, LOL!

second, no need to be so harsh.

third, :)

Modernancientdna
01-31-2018, 03:13 AM
first, LOL!

second, no need to be so harsh.

third, :)

Just making my point :)

Babatunde
01-31-2018, 06:20 AM
I'm afraid to re-uplaod now:)

lol That's precisely how I felt when they replaced my Scandinavian with Eastern European. Yikes. ;)

Modernancientdna
01-31-2018, 06:43 AM
lol That's precisely how I felt when they replaced my Scandinavian with Eastern European. Yikes. ;)

If that is the case you are blessed don't complain hahah

evon
01-31-2018, 09:36 AM

Lol..

I think it is a problem for all calculations at the moment, not just transfers..

msmarjoribanks
01-31-2018, 06:45 PM
Re Nigerian usually going along with MENA or Southern Europe in the results -- currently that's not the case. They seem to be routinely giving everyone around 1.3% Nigerian now (I'm assuming some get more, like people with actual W African ancestry). My ancestry results and my parents' FTDNA results that I uploaded to MyHeritage months ago had no Nigerian, and now out of the blue my FTDNA results have Nigerian when uploaded? Weird. I'd be totally cool with a long lost Nigerian ancestor and it wouldn't have shocked me if it had been my first result (I would have assumed it was real), but based on other results I know it's not.

The rest of my estimate looks good, though, and pretty consistent with the one from months ago, so I don't think MyHeritage's estimates are bad overall. The Nigerian thing is just a weird bug.

Modernancientdna
01-31-2018, 07:53 PM
Re Nigerian usually going along with MENA or Southern Europe in the results -- currently that's not the case. They seem to be routinely giving everyone around 1.3% Nigerian now (I'm assuming some get more, like people with actual W African ancestry). My ancestry results and my parents' FTDNA results that I uploaded to MyHeritage months ago had no Nigerian, and now out of the blue my FTDNA results have Nigerian when uploaded? Weird. I'd be totally cool with a long lost Nigerian ancestor and it wouldn't have shocked me if it had been my first result (I would have assumed it was real), but based on other results I know it's not.

The rest of my estimate looks good, though, and pretty consistent with the one from months ago, so I don't think MyHeritage's estimates are bad overall. The Nigerian thing is just a weird bug.

I cant speak for others, in my case Nigerian was "invented" from part of my 88% East European, and part of my 2.9% Ashkenazi Jewish after update.

If you dont know, Jewish people are majority (MENA and Southern European), while some particular not all Eastern Europeans have minor (MENA and Southern European) component due to historical Jewish presence in this region, on most commercial calculator this minor component (MENA and Southern European) has been added into East European component, however the Jewish is clear as day on other calculators.

From my experience, it comes down esentially people controlling the algorithm will dictate the end results of your estimate. Nigerian should not be taken literal. Ofcourse some have emotional investment, or quick conclusion that they descended from African slaves, or someone take cheap shot at their culture, etc. Learn the history and do the research necessary, try as many calcs to get alternate reading will not hurt. For the record, on other calcs I have minor African component higher % than MyHeritage, the difference with other calcs African component is not presented West African/Nigerian.

msmarjoribanks
01-31-2018, 08:19 PM
The point is that it seems to be something that is turning up in nearly all results now, was not before, and is not so much a MyHeritage reading of something classified differently elsewhere because of different source populations or algorithms or whatever but some weird bug where a small amount of Nigerian turns up in all recent results.

I'm not emotional about it, I know it's not real in my results (too bad, it would be interesting, and in my case likely African American ancestry, yeah). I uploaded my FTDNA after reading what was going on to test whether I would get the Nigerian (which I had not before, which my parents had not before, which I don't get on any other test, I don't even get any MENA), and just as suspected did. Since I know it's doing this I think it's funny, and I think it should be and will be fixed by the time they are out of beta. I do think people who do their first test with MyHeritage and may get interested/excited about the Nigerian should be told that they need to check with other sources, as chances are it's nothing. (I'd say that anyway, but here it's as clear as anything can be.)

I could claim they are reading my Iberian (which is probably from my French or UK ancestry) as Nigerian, but I don't think so (or that that would even make sense), I think somehow their system is adding Nigerian to everyone, regardless of actual ancestry.

timberwolf
01-31-2018, 08:21 PM
According to Myheritage's new feature.

This is the percentage of people who score Nigerian

Puerto Rico
11.4%
Brazil
8.6%
Japan
7.6%
USA
7.5%
Netherlands
5.4%
France
5.3%
Great Britain
4.3%
Luxembourg
3.1%
Belgium
3%
Canada
2.6%
Saudi Arabia
2.5%
Hong Kong
2.4%
United Arab Emirates
2.1%
South Africa
2%
Malta
1.8%
Portugal
1.6%
Switzerland
1.6%
Denmark
1.5%
Germany
1.5%
India
1.4%
Thailand
1.3%
Greece
1.3%
Spain
1.3%
Colombia
1.2%
Poland
1.1%
Ireland
1.1%
Mexico
1%
Bulgaria
1%
Austria
1%

Modernancientdna
01-31-2018, 09:04 PM
The point is that it seems to be something that is turning up in nearly all results now, was not before, and is not so much a MyHeritage reading of something classified differently elsewhere because of different source populations or algorithms or whatever but some weird bug where a small amount of Nigerian turns up in all recent results.

I'm not emotional about it, I know it's not real in my results (too bad, it would be interesting, and in my case likely African American ancestry, yeah). I uploaded my FTDNA after reading what was going on to test whether I would get the Nigerian (which I had not before, which my parents had not before, which I don't get on any other test, I don't even get any MENA), and just as suspected did. Since I know it's doing this I think it's funny, and I think it should be and will be fixed by the time they are out of beta. I do think people who do their first test with MyHeritage and may get interested/excited about the Nigerian should be told that they need to check with other sources, as chances are it's nothing. (I'd say that anyway, but here it's as clear as anything can be.)

I could claim they are reading my Iberian (which is probably from my French or UK ancestry) as Nigerian, but I don't think so (or that that would even make sense), I think somehow their system is adding Nigerian to everyone, regardless of actual ancestry.

Its not for everyone, @timberwolf has posted above the Nigerian ratios around the world, from looks MyHeritage had update today and being slightly more transparent with their results seems to be most common among Puerto Ricans, maybe reevaluate Iberian component.

FionnSneachta
01-31-2018, 09:53 PM
My parents (I'd probably get it too if I re-uploaded) are one of the 1.1% in Ireland that get Nigerian. I'm sure if more Irish people tested or transferred their results, that percentage would increase with the new bug.

msmarjoribanks
01-31-2018, 10:07 PM
Its not for everyone, @timberwolf has posted above the Nigerian ratios around the world, from looks MyHeritage had update today and being slightly more transparent with their results seems to be most common among Puerto Ricans, maybe reevaluate Iberian component.

Those numbers are not consistent with the recent results from people here.

What do you mean "reevaluate Iberian component"?

msmarjoribanks
01-31-2018, 10:27 PM
Ah, upon looking, the map says it's "the portion of MyHeritage DNA users with West African ethnicity in that country." I'd bet that if you just looked at the last few weeks the percentages would be quite different.

lilac9
01-31-2018, 10:56 PM
It's not just Iberians that are getting Nigerian so I don't understand what that has to do with reevaluating the Iberian.

What I was most confused by was the 7.6% Nigerian in Japan?

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 12:37 AM
It's not just Iberians that are getting Nigerian so I don't understand what that has to do with reevaluating the Iberian.

What I was most confused by was the 7.6% Nigerian in Japan?

North African Moors ruled in Spain since 700 AD, in 1492 after Alhambra decree all Jews was expelled from "Espana" into many regions these people have fled to Latin America colonies, Caribbean Islands, North Africa, Eastern Ottoman Empire at that time was accepting Jews they went Greece, Turkey, Balkans, Crimea Coast, some move into Eastern Europe, Baltic States, Netherlands, France, Italy and modern people have been dispersed countless times again to all corners their descendants are today in fact with diluted amount of Jewish admixture if traditions have been broken off and people have assimilated around. Reevaluate can be alternate form of saying learn the history that these components are connected.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 01:03 AM
Those numbers are not consistent with the recent results from people here.

What do you mean "reevaluate Iberian component"?

People results from here or any forum is only small fraction, for these results they have averaged their database

Also how you can diagnose a potential "bug" in their software, if you are not employed by their company. I admit already MyHeritage and other American consumer test aren't accurate, but if there was a so call "bug" MyHeritage has updated software today they could have fix if they deemed necessary which they didnt do, showing confidence in this Beta form.

lilac9
02-01-2018, 01:08 AM
North African Moors ruled in Spain since 700 AD, in 1492 after Alhambra decree all Jews was expelled from "Espana" into many regions these people have fled to Latin America colonies, Caribbean Islands, North Africa, Eastern Ottoman Empire at that time was accepting Jews they went Greece, Turkey, Balkans, Crimea Coast, some move into Eastern Europe, Baltic States, Netherlands, France, Italy and modern people have been dispersed countless times again to all corners their descendants are today in fact with diluted amount of Jewish admixture if traditions have been broken off and people have assimilated around. Reevaluate can be alternate form of saying learn the history that these components are connected.

You aren't getting my point. The point is that not only are Iberians getting Nigerian. It's Euros in general! I know the history of the Moors and where they went to.

No one can be sure if it is a bug but is probably the most likely explanation for every Euro getting 1% Nigerian when on every other test they don't have it.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 01:09 AM
You aren't getting my point. The point is that not only are Iberians getting Nigerian. It's Euros in general! I know the history of the Moors and where they went to.

And these Europeans descend from Spanish Jews.

lilac9
02-01-2018, 01:12 AM

Every Euro doesn't descend from Spanish Jews. Where do you get that from? Most Jews don't get Nigerian either. I can't follow your reasoning.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 01:14 AM
Every Euro doesn't descend from Spanish Jews. Where do you get that from?

I never said every Euro. You dont have to follow, follow MyHeritage if you believe you are Nigerian.

lilac9
02-01-2018, 01:16 AM
I never said every Euro.

So you meant Iberians? But it doesn't make sense what you are saying. If we follow your reasoning than only Iberians would get the Nigerian but that isn't the case here.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 01:20 AM
So you meant Iberians? But it doesn't make sense what you are saying. If we follow your reasoning than only Iberians would get the Nigerian but that isn't the case here.

I said descendants of Spanish Jews, I never said Iberians or Europeans.

lilac9
02-01-2018, 01:21 AM
I never said every Euro. You dont have to follow, follow MyHeritage if you believe you are Nigerian.

I think that is exactly what everyone is saying lol. Honestly I don't care much. I already know what I am.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 01:27 AM
I think that is exactly what everyone is saying lol. Honestly I don't care much. I already know what I am.

Everyone can say one thing, it can still be false, population genetics and popularity contest is 2 different.

I know what I am going back 300-400 years, can you?

lilac9
02-01-2018, 01:29 AM
Everyone can say one thing, it can still be false, population genetics and popularity contest is 2 different.

LOL just forget it because you aren't making any sense. This isn't a popularity contest. It's just unusual results for some. Your contention that it has something to do with the Iberian component makes no sense. That's what I am merely pointing out.

And yes I can go back 300-400 years. Your assertion still makes no sense.

Trixster
02-01-2018, 01:34 AM

No one can be sure if it is a bug but is probably the most likely explanation for every Euro getting 1% Nigerian when on every other test they don't have it.

This.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 01:42 AM
LOL just forget it because you aren't making any sense. This isn't a popularity contest. It's just unusual results for some. Your contention that it has something to do with the Iberian component makes no sense. That's what I am merely pointing out.

This is "merely" your opinion and everyone has own, you are not affiliated with MyHeritage.

So what is your take on Nigerian component being highest among Puerto Ricans do you believe this "merely" coincidence?

Also, if MyHeritage or 23andme, etc suggested the appropriate thing is jump off nearest bridge would you do it? Cause MyHeritage or 23andme said right... :)

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 01:53 AM
This.

I prefer this, more accurate than MyHeritage.

0.42% Kushitic*
4.13% North-Iberian*
2.68% East-Iberian*
0.00% Tibeto-Burman
1.82% North-African*
0.01% South-Caucasian
5.68% North-Caucasian
3.02% Paleo-Balkan
0.00% Turkic-Altai
0.00% Proto-Austronesian
0.01% Nilotic
0.00% East-Med
0.00% Omotic
0.00% Munda
0.00% North-Amerind
0.00% Arabic
28.76% East-Euro
0.00% Central-African_HG
0.00% Andean
0.00% Indo-Chinese
0.00% South-Indian
0.00% NE-Asian
0.27% Volgan
0.00% Mongolian
0.00% Siberian
6.98% North-Sea_Germanic
6.70% Celtic
0.00% West-African
12.53% West-Finnic
0.00% Uralic
0.00% Sahelian
0.00% NW-Indian
0.00% East-African_HG
0.00% East-Asian
0.00% Amuro-Manchurian
8.16% Scando-Germanic
0.12% Iranian
0.49% South-African_HG*
0.00% Amazonian
13.40% Baltic
0.00% Malay
0.00% Meso-Amerind
0.00% South-Chinese
0.00% Papuan
0.44% West-Med*
0.95% Pamirian
3.43% Central-Med*

JerryS.
02-01-2018, 02:12 AM
I prefer this, more accurate than MyHeritage.

0.42% Kushitic*
4.13% North-Iberian*
2.68% East-Iberian*
0.00% Tibeto-Burman
1.82% North-African*
0.01% South-Caucasian
5.68% North-Caucasian
3.02% Paleo-Balkan
0.00% Turkic-Altai
0.00% Proto-Austronesian
0.01% Nilotic
0.00% East-Med
0.00% Omotic
0.00% Munda
0.00% North-Amerind
0.00% Arabic
28.76% East-Euro
0.00% Central-African_HG
0.00% Andean
0.00% Indo-Chinese
0.00% South-Indian
0.00% NE-Asian
0.27% Volgan
0.00% Mongolian
0.00% Siberian
6.98% North-Sea_Germanic
6.70% Celtic
0.00% West-African
12.53% West-Finnic
0.00% Uralic
0.00% Sahelian
0.00% NW-Indian
0.00% East-African_HG
0.00% East-Asian
0.00% Amuro-Manchurian
8.16% Scando-Germanic
0.12% Iranian
0.49% South-African_HG*
0.00% Amazonian
13.40% Baltic
0.00% Malay
0.00% Meso-Amerind
0.00% South-Chinese
0.00% Papuan
0.44% West-Med*
0.95% Pamirian
3.43% Central-Med*

what GEDmatch model is that from?

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 02:18 AM
what GEDmatch model is that from?

From LukaszM K47 World Calculator

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?12788-New-K30-K47-World-Calculator

lilac9
02-01-2018, 02:21 AM
This is "merely" your opinion and everyone has own, you are not affiliated with MyHeritage.

So what is your take on Nigerian component being highest among Puerto Ricans do you believe this "merely" coincidence?

Also, if MyHeritage or 23andme, etc suggested the appropriate thing is jump off nearest bridge would you do it? Cause MyHeritage or 23andme said right... :)

I don't like your tone. Nevertheless I will answer. What is the surprise with that? Most Puerto Ricans have Iberian, Amerindian and West African on DNA tests. I don't have to believe it either because none of my recent ancestors except for a Galician great-grandfather were from those areas. All my recent ancestors were born in Puerto Rico.

Also Puerto Rico is at the top for Nigeria because many other countries don't have data like Haiti, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago. These places would definitely have more Nigerian than Puerto Rico. Apparently the most frequent myHeritage testers among Latinos are Puerto Ricans and Mexicans.

lilac9
02-01-2018, 03:04 AM
Hmm. I was just looking at myHeritage's new feature and it seems this Nigerian thing is not showing up in Finland or Norway but it is showing up in Germany. Interesting! I need to look through more European countries. Maybe it is just Western Europe? Nope not just Western Europe.

I think it has to do with the North African. Every country that has a small percentage of North African also seems to have a small percentage of Nigerian.

JerryS.
02-01-2018, 03:11 AM
Hmm. I was just looking at myHeritage's new feature and it seems this Nigerian thing is not showing up in Finland or Norway but it is showing up in Germany. Interesting! I need to look through more European countries. Maybe it is just Western Europe?

I'm 1/4 German yet My Heritage does not show that region at all for me. could they be lumping it all into the U.K.?

lilac9
02-01-2018, 03:13 AM
I'm 1/4 German yet My Heritage does not show that region at all for me. could they be lumping it all into the U.K.?

I don't know Jerry. See what I added in the above post. I think it might have to do with the North African percentage. I'm just guessing. I haven't looked at every Euro country yet.

OK forget my theory. Ireland just ruined it. They have no North African but they do have Nigerian. How do they even get Central America at 1.5%?

I'm sorry Jerry I misread your question! Yes its entirely possible that they can't tell the difference between English and North and Western Euro. In fact I know so because I got 18% English and my Dad got no English but around the same amount as North and West Euro.

JerryS.
02-01-2018, 03:22 AM
I don't know Jerry. See what I added in the above post. I think it might have to do with the North African percentage. I'm just guessing. I haven't looked at every Euro country yet.

OK forget my theory. Ireland just ruined it. They have no North African but they do have Nigerian. How do they even get Central America at 1.5%?

My Heritage has a faulty model in use.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 03:31 AM
Hmm. I was just looking at myHeritage's new feature and it seems this Nigerian thing is not showing up in Finland or Norway but it is showing up in Germany. Interesting! I need to look through more European countries. Maybe it is just Western Europe? Nope not just Western Europe.

I think it has to do with the North African. Every country that has a small percentage of North African also seems to have a small percentage of Nigerian.

The correlation you notice with Nigerian and North African is consistent. I don't think MyHeritage is accurate as I have said. Something can't be ignore, if there is 1 error in the algorithm you can't expect there will only be 1 error total. So per say someone is assigned Nigerian as an error for similar mixture that are read in the markers, likely will be another part of report will have an error also to over compensate for first error, sometimes these errors are hard to detect and sometimes they are obvious you mention Central American component in Ireland...next to Nigerian component...

lilac9
02-01-2018, 03:36 AM
The correlation you notice with Nigerian and North African is consistent. I don't think MyHeritage is accurate as I have said. Something can't be ignore, if there is 1 error in the algorithm you can't expect there will only be 1 error total. So per say someone is assigned Nigerian as an error for similar mixture that are read in the markers, likely will be another part of report will have an error also to over compensate for first error, sometimes these errors are hard to detect and sometimes they are obvious you mention Central American component in Ireland...next to Nigerian component...

Yes, yes I completely agree with you! One error can lead to another. Just a couple of months ago this error wasn't there. I scored some African but it was all apparently from Sierra Leone. Now I get 3.7% Nigerian and only 2.4% Sierra Leone! Maybe you were right and it is the Iberian component! I'd have to eat my words LOL! Ireland does have Iberian!

Haha I just checked Croatia. They have 4% Iberian but no Nigerian!

Mstock
02-01-2018, 03:42 AM
I already stated it’s the Iberian compenant on the second page of this thread. Look at my results. My Iberian component disappeared. Take a look back before you guys keep arguing.

lilac9
02-01-2018, 03:46 AM
I already stated itís the Iberian compenant on the second page of this thread. Look at my results. My Iberian component disappeared. Take a look back before you guys keep arguing.

LOL we are no longer arguing. How much Iberian did you have? Nevermind I will look at the second page.

But you also picked up 2.5% North African that you didn't have previously.

Mstock
02-01-2018, 03:51 AM
It was like 7% Iberian. I believe it is ancient Dna from my grandmothers french side.

msmarjoribanks
02-01-2018, 04:20 AM

You are making a lot of assumptions about a component in someone else's results, and that I'm not aware of the events you describe.

You should be aware that Iberian in small amounts is common in a variety of results for people with no apparent Spanish Jewish ancestry, and seems to be connected to some quite old migrations, probably. Read the discussion in the thread about the Irish DNA Atlas (which goes into components found in ancestry from various parts of the British Isles). Iberian is one of the components found.

Also, even if my Iberian is from Spanish Jewish ancestry (which seems unlikely based on other results and matches), it has 0 to do with Nigerian. I've seen nothing to support the contention that Spanish Jewish heritage would read as Nigerian.

Again, I uploaded my results to MyHeritage a couple of days ago to test the current suspected bug. I have never had a Nigerian result before (I also don't get any MENA, I do occasionally get West Asian or Caucasian -- another thing that has nothing to do with Nigerian -- and I often get a bit of Iberian, which seems to come more from my dad who gets more). I had previously uploaded my Ancestry results and my parents' FTDNA results to MyHeritage, no Nigerian. Thus, I figured if I uploaded my FTDNA now, and got Nigerian, it would be a good sign that there's some weird bug going on. Others who, like me, have no reason to have Nigerian have reported the same thing, some on this thread.

I uploaded, lo and behold, Nigerian.

I really don't think it's that MyHeritage is weirdly seeing Nigerian where others see Iberian (especially since others get it without it being taken from Iberian), and I don't think I have any Spanish Jewish heritage either, although that would be cool and not impossible on paper, I just have never gotten any results that suggest it and it's obviously not the only possible source of Iberian and its related to Nigerian results anyway.

I'm really not following what you are trying to argue here -- it's not a bug? It's not something almost everyone who uploads (and maybe tests) with MyHeritage is getting in the past few weeks? I know noise is a thing, I get Amerindian sometimes that I think is noise (not 100% sure, I could have some Amerindian, it's just not enough or consistent enough to seem real). This seems to be something different, some kind of bug.

msmarjoribanks
02-01-2018, 04:27 AM

All of them?

And you know this how?

That such a high percentage of Europeans all of a sudden seem to descent from Spanish Jews without any prior indication in other tests seems, well, implausible.

msmarjoribanks
02-01-2018, 04:38 AM

I don't think the new feature/map tells us much, because the Nigerian thing is new. The percentage will be low if not many have added results in the time it has existed (I don't know when it started, but I added my parents' kits from FTDNA at the end of October, and it was not yet happening then).

BalkanKiwi
02-01-2018, 04:39 AM
I think now is a good time to jump in and request that everyone please remain civil.

I have no doubt someone has made MyHeritage aware of this by now. I'm sure we'll find out in the near future if it's a bug or not through result updates.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 04:44 AM
All of them?

And you know this how?

That such a high percentage of Europeans all of a sudden seem to descent from Spanish Jews without any prior indication in other tests seems, well, implausible.

It's not high % of Europeans I think this is third time I'm saying this same comment, already someone posted the Nigerian % averages the highest European country on list is Netherlands 5.4% many Jews took refuge there after 1492 so is possible, other European countries Nigerian is almost non existant. Maybe higher % of European Americans are getting assign Nigerian cause to be honest I know many Americans personally and they don't know their history well or if they do know it's a watered down version I'm not trying to take cheap shot more things happened in America historically where these type of things are more difficult to track. You have mention in your results Iberian, West Asian if you know elementary level population genetics you know who will get assign these components most likely.

Earlier today I helped a woman with her results on another forum she believed she was 100% German, she got on trace results 1.0% Iberian and 0.5% North African with 23andme, I told her upload Gedmatch and MyHeritage, in the meantime she show me her mothers results there was 19% Italy/Greece, 3% Jewish, >1% Middle East with Ancestry.

When she got her Gedmatch it was consistently showing her as 10-15% Jewish on K13 oracle from 1-20. On MyHeritage she got some Ashkenazi Jewish, North African, Nigerian.

She then admitted there was suspicion from her mothers side her great grandfather was Jewish, she showed me who he was and a little article on her family surname it checked out that it was German Jewish, I won't share the last name ofcourse.

msmarjoribanks
02-01-2018, 05:32 AM
It's not high % of Europeans I think this is third time I'm saying this same comment, already someone posted the Nigerian % averages the highest European country on list is Netherlands 5.4% many Jews took refuge there after 1492 so is possible, other European countries Nigerian is almost non existant. Maybe higher % of European Americans are getting assign Nigerian cause to be honest I know many Americans personally and they don't know their history well or if they do know it's a watered down version I'm not trying to take cheap shot more things happened in America historically where these type of things are more difficult to track. You have mention in your results Iberian, West Asian if you know elementary level population genetics you know who will get assign these components most likely.

We are not communicating, I am not sure why not.

The numbers from the ethnicity map do not tell us how many people (or what percentage) have gotten the Nigerian results in the past few weeks, which is when people seem to have started noticing and reporting it. It is useless for that purpose. It tells us of all US tests (or tests from wherever), x% of people have gotten Nigerian, 100-x% people have not. My old results (and that of my parents), all added before November 2017, would be in the percentage of people who did not get Nigerian, but I'd bet real money that if I uploaded all three now, all would get Nigerian. That of the total number of people who have tested or uploaded most have not (because it's a recent thing that we are talking about) does not tell us what percentage are getting the results now. Do you understand what I am saying here, and thus why I continue to think that it is nearly all results at present?

Indeed, over the past few weeks, pretty much all the reports here suggest that everyone of European ancestry is getting a little Nigerian. My own experiment was a result of that. I said (earlier in the thread): "I wonder if I upload my other test if all of a sudden Nigerian will turn up, despite it never being a result I've gotten in the past, despite my prior upload not having it, despite my parents' uploads not having it." Thus, at this point, I don't think it makes sense to assume it is meaningful at all, for anyone's results, if it's in a small amount and inconsistent with other tests. It seems too consistent to be just noise (which is the other option), so I suspect it is a bug of some sort. In particular, I don't think it makes sense to assume it really means North African (which is what I understand your position to be -- if I am misunderstanding, I apologize).

Also, it is not only people with Iberian ancestry (meaning a small amount of Iberian that often shows up in results). However, in my case, as I myself pointed out before, one of the differences between my previously uploaded results (from Ancestry, which also reports some Iberian) and the new ones (from FTDNA, which did not report Iberian) is that I have no Iberian on the new one and had a small percentage on the old one. Neither my prior MyHeritage upload or either of the source tests reported Middle Eastern or North African or Sephardic or even Ashkenazi results. The claim that MyHeritage is reading Iberian as Nigerian seems weird (and itself would be an issue), but doesn't explain why all of a sudden nearly all people of European descent (including those who do not normally get Iberian, from the comments above in the thread) seem to be getting a little Nigerian (even people of all Irish descent, although they likely do have a bit of Iberian). Nor does it explain why -- and this is one key point -- they were not getting it in most of the same cases before a couple of weeks ago, even in some cases with the exact same tests.

From your comments, you not only are assuming I must be ignorant of basic stuff because I am American, and must not have thought of them or have reasons to rule them out, but you also seem not to be aware of how common small amounts of Iberian and West Asian are in many European results and as a result to be making more assumptions that do not actually follow.

I'm not trying to argue; I'm trying to improve our communications in a civil way. I hope this was successful in at least clarifying what I am trying to say.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 05:34 AM

The numbers from the ethnicity map do not tell us how many people (or what percentage) have gotten the Nigerian results in the past few weeks, which is when people seem to have started noticing and reporting it. It is useless for that purpose.

Over the past few weeks, pretty much all the reports here suggest that everyone of European ancestry is getting a little Nigerian. My test -- "I wonder if I also will, despite never getting it before, including from MyHeritage, including my parents" -- resulted in me getting it too. At this point, I don't think it makes sense to assume it is meaningful at all, for anyone's results, if it's in a small amount and inconsistent with other tests. It seems too consistent to be just noise (which is the other option), so I suspect it is a bug of some sort.

And again, it is not only people with Iberian ancestry (meaning a small amount of Iberian that often shows up in results). However, in my case, as I myself pointed out before, one of the differences between my previously uploaded results (from Ancestry, which also reports some Iberian) and the new ones (from FTDNA, which did not report Iberian) is that I have no Iberian on the new one and had a small percentage on the old one. Neither the prior MyHeritage upload or either of the source tests reported Middle Eastern or North African or Ashkenazi results. The claim that MyHeritage is reading Iberian as Nigerian seems weird (and itself would be an issue), but doesn't explain why all of a sudden nearly all people of European descent (including those who do not normally get Iberian, from the comments above in the thread) seem to be getting a little Nigerian (even people of all Irish descent, although they likely do have a bit of Iberian). Nor does it explain why -- and this is one key point -- they were not getting it in most of the same cases before a couple of weeks ago, even in some cases with the exact same tests.

From your comments, you not only are assuming I must be ignorant of basic stuff because I am American, and must not have thought of them or have reasons to rule them out, but you also seem not to be aware of how common small amounts of Iberian and West Asian are in many European results and as a result to be making more assumptions that do not actually follow.

I'm not trying to argue; I'm trying to improve our communications in a civil way. I hope this was successful in at least clarifying what I am trying to say.

Ok, I updated my comment, check it out

msmarjoribanks
02-01-2018, 05:49 AM
Heh, I edited mine to try to be clearer too, so read it again if you care to. I'm going to bed now, spending too much time on this. I'm sure I'll respond tomorrow, and have a good whatever time of day it is where you currently are! ;-)

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 06:12 AM

The numbers from the ethnicity map do not tell us how many people (or what percentage) have gotten the Nigerian results in the past few weeks, which is when people seem to have started noticing and reporting it. It is useless for that purpose. It tells us of all US tests (or tests from wherever), x% of people have gotten Nigerian, 100-x% people have not. My old results (and that of my parents), all added before November 2017, would be in the percentage of people who did not get Nigerian, but I'd bet real money that if I uploaded all three now, all would get Nigerian. That of the total number of people who have tested or uploaded most have not (because it's a recent thing that we are talking about) does not tell us what percentage are getting the results now. Do you understand what I am saying here, and thus why I continue to think that it is nearly all results at present?

Indeed, over the past few weeks, pretty much all the reports here suggest that everyone of European ancestry is getting a little Nigerian. My own experiment was a result of that. I said (earlier in the thread): "I wonder if I upload my other test if all of a sudden Nigerian will turn up, despite it never being a result I've gotten in the past, despite my prior upload not having it, despite my parents' uploads not having it." Thus, at this point, I don't think it makes sense to assume it is meaningful at all, for anyone's results, if it's in a small amount and inconsistent with other tests. It seems too consistent to be just noise (which is the other option), so I suspect it is a bug of some sort. In particular, I don't think it makes sense to assume it really means North African (which is what I understand your position to be -- if I am misunderstanding, I apologize).

Also, it is not only people with Iberian ancestry (meaning a small amount of Iberian that often shows up in results). However, in my case, as I myself pointed out before, one of the differences between my previously uploaded results (from Ancestry, which also reports some Iberian) and the new ones (from FTDNA, which did not report Iberian) is that I have no Iberian on the new one and had a small percentage on the old one. Neither my prior MyHeritage upload or either of the source tests reported Middle Eastern or North African or Sephardic or even Ashkenazi results. The claim that MyHeritage is reading Iberian as Nigerian seems weird (and itself would be an issue), but doesn't explain why all of a sudden nearly all people of European descent (including those who do not normally get Iberian, from the comments above in the thread) seem to be getting a little Nigerian (even people of all Irish descent, although they likely do have a bit of Iberian). Nor does it explain why -- and this is one key point -- they were not getting it in most of the same cases before a couple of weeks ago, even in some cases with the exact same tests.

The only thing I will add, is not common for Europeans to get assign Iberian, West Asian unless they actually have this mixture in their markers. Assuming is a "ghost" admixture, is sort of unorthodox approach to follow. You mention that some west Europeans particularly Irish get assign Iberian, and there is some truth to your statement cause these groups share some ancient Celtic markers in western Europe from south to north. Regardless if we exclude the Celtic markers, Nigerian component remains.

firemonkey
02-01-2018, 06:55 AM

I have 1.3-1.4 Nigerian based on 2 different uploads. I am not descended from Spanish Jews.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 07:05 AM
I have 1.3-1.4 Nigerian based on 2 different uploads. I am not descended from Spanish Jews.

Is that you on FTDNA or nah? What is your Y-DNA origin?

firemonkey
02-01-2018, 07:23 AM
I am E-Z16664* and have no idea of origin of the Y-DNA . FTDNA still has me as E-BY5219 with there being a supposed link to England and Iberia. However I don't score Iberian on Ancestry/FTDNA/My heritage/23andMe/DNA land/Gencove/Gene plaza. Dna tribes does give me with Table 2: Iberian 4.5(FTDNA) , Iberian 4.3(23andMe) , Iberian 5(Ancestry) .

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 07:50 AM
I am E-Z16664* and have no idea of origin of the Y-DNA . FTDNA still has me as E-BY5219 with there being a supposed link to England and Iberia. However I don't score Iberian on Ancestry/FTDNA/My heritage/23andMe/DNA land/Gencove/Gene plaza. Dna tribes does give me with Table 2: Iberian 4.5(FTDNA) , Iberian 4.3(23andMe) , Iberian 5(Ancestry) .

Interesting, from northern region I assume and you are E.

I haven't done DNA Tribes I probably will order for only 40$, I heard sometimes they are over generous with MENA component though.

Ancestry: (0-1%) Iberian
DNALAND: 11.7% Southwest Euro + 2.1% Balkan + 1.2 Mediterranean Islander
Geneplaza K29: 12.4% Southwest Euro + 9.3% Sicilian + 1.8% Caucasian + 0.7% East African
Gencove: 11% Southwest Euro + 8% Eastern Mediterranean + 3% Northern Italy
MyHeritage: 2.4% Ashkenazi Jewish + 1.3% Nigerian
K47: 10% Iberian/North African/East African + 3.4% Central Med
Gedmatch: 10-30% Spanish populations low distance under 1

msmarjoribanks
02-01-2018, 07:24 PM
The only thing I will add, is not common for Europeans to get assign Iberian, West Asian unless they actually have this mixture in their markers. Assuming is a "ghost" admixture, is sort of unorthodox approach to follow. You mention that some west Europeans particularly Irish get assign Iberian, and there is some truth to your statement cause these groups share some ancient Celtic markers in western Europe from south to north. Regardless if we exclude the Celtic markers, Nigerian component remains.

I'm not sure what you are saying here, so let me ask as specifically as possible.

Are you saying it is rare for Europeans (other than actual Iberians, I suppose) to have Iberian (or West Asian) as a component, such as at Gedmatch? That is not true.

Are you saying it is rare for Europeans to get a little Iberian or West Asian on commercial tests, like Ancestry or FTDNA, etc.? I don't think that is true either.

Or are you saying it is rare for Europeans to get a little Iberian or West Asian on commercial tests without having those as a component on Gedmatch or the like? That I think is absolutely true. I do not at all question that I have some West Asian/Caucasian and some Iberian components in my DNA, it comes up frequently and at Gedmatch. (I don't think that has a thing to do with the Nigerian Question we are discussing.)

I am not sure what you mean by "ghost admixture" -- you mean thinking it comes from something other than a recent Spanish or West Asian ancestor? Like I said, it's wildly common to have such components, far more common than it would be if only being the result of being a Spanish Jew or whatever (and I think West Asian is somewhat distinct from what you seem to be getting at in many cases anyway).

I am not at all following your statement "Regardless if we exclude the Celtic markers, Nigerian component remains."

Sikeliot
02-01-2018, 08:37 PM
My mother got 1.5% Sierra Leone with her old 23andme and Ancestry uploads but when I uploaded ftdna it was replaced with 2.3% Nigerian...

My guess is without the bug she would've scored some anyway.

Sikeliot
02-01-2018, 08:50 PM
I'll also add I've seen recent Sicilian results not scoring it.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 10:12 PM
I'm not sure what you are saying here, so let me ask as specifically as possible.

Are you saying it is rare for Europeans (other than actual Iberians, I suppose) to have Iberian (or West Asian) as a component, such as at Gedmatch? That is not true.

Are you saying it is rare for Europeans to get a little Iberian or West Asian on commercial tests, like Ancestry or FTDNA, etc.? I don't think that is true either.

Or are you saying it is rare for Europeans to get a little Iberian or West Asian on commercial tests without having those as a component on Gedmatch or the like? That I think is absolutely true. I do not at all question that I have some West Asian/Caucasian and some Iberian components in my DNA, it comes up frequently and at Gedmatch. (I don't think that has a thing to do with the Nigerian Question we are discussing.)

I am not sure what you mean by "ghost admixture" -- you mean thinking it comes from something other than a recent Spanish or West Asian ancestor? Like I said, it's wildly common to have such components, far more common than it would be if only being the result of being a Spanish Jew or whatever (and I think West Asian is somewhat distinct from what you seem to be getting at in many cases anyway).

I am not at all following your statement "Regardless if we exclude the Celtic markers, Nigerian component remains."

It's simple, we have opposing views cause you have strong confidence in the validity commercial reports, that they are accurate in their component reporting. I know these company are simply comparing your data to base population references and filling the "difference" or "void" with similarity components. Just say you are Spanish from Spain, you will likely match close with the reference samples Ancestry or MyHeritage has collected for their base, therefore the person will probably get a high Iberian score for sake of conversation we will assume (80% Iberian) that covers most of their ancestry. Now this same person had 1 Jewish great-grandparent and we know Jews are a diverse mixture. So they will add components to fill the void, 10% Italy/Greece, 2% Irish, 1% Central Asia, 3% Caucasus, 2% Middle East, 1% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1% Africa North and there is 100% for Ancestry.

The same person on MyHeritage can be model for example 75% Iberian, 3.5% Italian, 6% Irish, Scottish, Welsh, 7.5% North African Sephardic Jewish, 7% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1% Nigerian and there is 100% for MyHeritage.

Contradicting results, no? So why trust them?

To conclude, they are all estimates comparing your data to base populations, I look at these results regularly from people they are always going be different depending what avenue of commercial DNA test you decide to go down.

Also these results commercial were made to entice American consumers, and are willing to use numerous propaganda in their advertising campaigns. So it's personal judgement what company to use. I prefer third party DNA population genetics, rather than commercial company, but I try all of the results just to see where they at with their references.

FionnSneachta
02-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Just to add on the Iberian side of things, neither my parents nor I have ever gotten an Iberian percentage with any commercial company. In combination, we've been assigned Irish, British, Scandinavian, Finland/Northwest Russia, East Europe and South American from Ancestry and FTDNA with MyHeritage now giving both parents Nigerian. I did initially put it down to being just noise but too many people seem to be getting it for me to think that it's noise. I'm sure that some people are getting genuine Nigerian but for most people it seems to be false.

Modernancientdna
02-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Just to add on the Iberian side of things, neither my parents nor I have ever gotten an Iberian percentage with any commercial company. In combination, we've been assigned Irish, British, Scandinavian, Finland/Northwest Russia, East Europe and South American from Ancestry and FTDNA with MyHeritage now giving both parents Nigerian. I did initially put it down to being just noise but too many people seem to be getting it for me to think that it's noise. I'm sure that some people are getting genuine Nigerian but for most people it seems to be false.

I have seen Irish with minor (Spanish, Africa) they told me they are known as what's called "Black Irish".

Chad Rohlfsen
02-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Differences I have are no SSA in 23andme, but Ancestry did and took it out of my Ashkenazi. I think it is a mapping issue. Different formats for different companies. Different hg builds.

lilac9
02-01-2018, 11:20 PM
"Black Irish" is a misnomer. It was given to Irish who had a more Mediterranean look than the stereo-typical fair Irish look.

Sikeliot
02-01-2018, 11:39 PM
So for my mother should I take the 2.3% Nigerian seriously? That is too high to be noise or calculator error especially since we have known/proven Cape Verdean ancestry. Though Sierra Leonean, which she scored on the first 2 uploads from months ago, makes more sense for Cape Verde than does Nigeria.

FionnSneachta
02-01-2018, 11:50 PM
I have seen Irish with minor (Spanish, Africa) they told me they are known as what's called "Black Irish".

Well an Irish person getting a small percentage of Spanish wouldn't really surprise me since it's not that far away. However, it doesn't match up with my previous tests and I'm not even sure if 'Black Irish' is a genuine thing. I think it was just a name given to describe Irish people with a darker complexion and hair. I've never actually heard people living in Ireland use the term but rather people from other countries to give a reason for an Irish person not matching the known stereotypical appearance. I'm not sure if this is due to origins from other countries or just natural variation but if it is, the phenotype is doing well to stick around after all of these generations. I know some people with a darker complexion and dark hair but I wouldn't mistaken them for another nationality either. The 'Black Irish' term doesn't really fit with my family's phenotype anyway. My mum's family are all pale with dark hair. My brother had blond hair as a child but can tan on his body. My dad has dark hair and can tan also (good old farmer's tan) while my grandfather had red hair. Both my father and grandfather had a more weather beaten face from farming than a naturally dark complexion. It would be one thing if one of my parents got a Nigerian percentage but I find it unlikely that both are getting a genuine Nigerian or even mistaken Iberian result.

FionnSneachta
02-02-2018, 12:06 AM
So for my mother should I take the 2.3% Nigerian seriously? That is too high to be noise or calculator error especially since we have known/proven Cape Verdean ancestry. Though Sierra Leonean, which she scored on the first 2 uploads from months ago, makes more sense for Cape Verde than does Nigeria.

I would personally go with the original result rather than the more recent upload based on other people's experience. I wouldn't place too much weight on it at the moment. You don't have to totally rule out the idea but just be aware that there's a high possibility that it could be false. Just take into consideration what previous results from other companies have given. If other companies gave a percentage from Nigeria or near it, then I don't see why it couldn't be possible. It could be real but I would still consider 2.3% small enough to be noise (if that's even what it is for anyone). I mean it's only 1.3% higher than 1%. Ancestry puts everything under 5% to be in the trace regions which suggests that they're not confident in these regions. I mean my dad gets 2.27% Amerindian on the GEDmatch K13.

Sikeliot
02-02-2018, 12:25 AM
I would personally go with the original result rather than the more recent upload based on other people's experience. I wouldn't place too much weight on it at the moment. You don't have to totally rule out the idea but just be aware that there's a high possibility that it could be false. Just take into consideration what previous results from other companies have given. If other companies gave a percentage from Nigeria or near it, then I don't see why it couldn't be possible. It could be real but I would still consider 2.3% small enough to be noise (if that's even what it is for anyone). I mean it's only 1.3% higher than 1%. Ancestry puts everything under 5% to be in the trace regions which suggests that they're not confident in these regions. I mean my dad gets 2.27% Amerindian on the GEDmatch K13.

My grandmother gets Nigerian on DNALand and DNATribes, not Senegambia/Sierra Leone so I don't know.

msmarjoribanks
02-02-2018, 01:09 AM
It's simple, we have opposing views cause you have strong confidence in the validity commercial reports, that they are accurate in their component reporting.

No, not at all. You are making a bunch of assumptions and as a result misunderstanding what I (and others) are saying, I think.

I do not have strong confidence in the commercial reports in a number of ways, as I have discussed on various threads here. I uploaded two tests (with quite different results from FTDNA and Ancestry) to MyHeritage for fun and out of curiosity, I've done Gedmatch, I also know my paper ancestry pretty well so am not relying on these. I'm interested in how they try to separate out my components and assign them to ethnic origin results, which I think is hard to do.

For example, I don't think they can consistently separate out and peg "English" from "German" from "Irish" from "Scandinavian" from "French" and so on. I'm sure there are many other such examples that I'm less familiar with.

I am also sure that many of the small additions are "noise."

In fact, in this discussion, I'm the one who has been arguing that the "Nigerian" is meaningless, and you the one claiming it means people are descended from Spanish Jews or some such.

My point, however, has been that this particular result has been SO consistent over the past couple of weeks and SO out of the blue that I think it's some odd bug.

I know these company are simply comparing your data to base population references

Yes, I know that too.

and filling the "difference" or "void" with similarity components.

I don't think this is correct, but if it were, it would make the current Nigerian results MORE puzzling. Look at the results discussed above which are basically 99% Irish and 1% Nigerian -- for BOTH of a poster's parents.

Just say you are Spanish from Spain, you will likely match close with the reference samples Ancestry or MyHeritage has collected for their base, therefore the person will probably get a high Iberian score for sake of conversation we will assume (80% Iberian) that covers most of their ancestry. Now this same person had 1 Jewish great-grandparent and we know Jews are a diverse mixture. So they will add components to fill the void, 10% Italy/Greece, 2% Irish, 1% Central Asia, 3% Caucasus, 2% Middle East, 1% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1% Africa North and there is 100% for Ancestry.

You are saying they just add stuff? How do they know this person has a Jewish great grandparent for them to do this, and why wouldn't they reflect that more specifically in the results? (And again that makes no sense with the current Nigerian pattern.)

The same person on MyHeritage can be model for example 75% Iberian, 3.5% Italian, 6% Irish, Scottish, Welsh, 7.5% North African Sephardic Jewish, 7% Ashkenazi Jewish, 1% Nigerian and there is 100% for MyHeritage.

Yes, people get different results and different percentages, that is not weird.

Adding a small percentage of Nigerian for all recent testers or uploaders (or so it seems), including many who have never gotten Nigerian before and don't on any other tests -- weird.

My first MyHeritage upload had a bit of South Asian, that did not seem weird to me, it seemed like noise (or maybe connected with my West Asian results I sometimes get). If I had just happened to get 1.3% Nigerian without knowing more, I might have thought it was odd, but figured noise, like seeing a bit of Oceanic on Gedmatch. But when all recent testers seem to be getting it and I never had before (and neither had my parents) and I uploaded to MyHeritage just to see if I would and I did, I think that's evidence that for some reason their system is just including Nigerian in results at the moment -- seems like a bug.

msmarjoribanks
02-02-2018, 01:15 AM

What does she get on the various Gedmatch calculators?

I'd be really skeptical of any current MyHeritage Nigerian results (at least in small percentages, and 2.3% is still small) until this is resolved.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 02:06 AM
Ladies, the conversation has shifted from genetic components to off topic physical appearance dialogue, how I can take this seriously when people are talking about farmer tan or no? When I spoke to some Irish gentleman recently he scored 95% Irish on Ancestry, I asked why so high Irish component? He replied that his ancestors all had Irish origin. He said one line of his family were of "Black Irish" also known as French Huguenots who were descendants of Sephardic Jews who escaped from Spain into France during inquisition times and later resettled in Ireland.

As far as Nigerian component there is a number of possibility I have an opinion others have opinion. I have made some points, so have others, read them maybe they clarify or not some things you don't have to agree you can always trust the laws of MyHeritage. I'm not debating off topic things for sake of debating, jumping from a one topic to the next is too much fruitless investment.

I posted my scores on other page you can look, my Jewish component varies on all the estimates and sometimes it's not present (Ancestry) or is replaced by South Euro/MENA components. I mention before I documented my history back 300-400 years.

JerryS.
02-02-2018, 02:20 AM
the "black Irish" tag has a few origins. in the Caribbean it was given to the offspring of Irish indentured servants and slaves working the sugar cane fields. later it was coined in the Appalachians by American Indians not wanting to get herded off of their land with the forced march to Oklahoma (they said they were black and Irish instead of Indian so that they could stay).

now, the Nigerian thing seems to be a simple default error used for this model at least for the time being. notice no one is getting a 1.3% Japanese or 1.3% Turkish..... yet the Nigerian thing is common across the board and in the same percentage.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 02:31 AM
"Noise" is not a component, markers sometimes wont be accurate, so there will be errors in your "estimate" is estimate nothing more or less. Term "Noise" I view almost as get out jail free card for these commercial company to silence errors in their own product, to keep income flowing. I have explain if there one error likely on the report there will be second error to over compensate for original error. Cherrypicking Nigerian as a "Noise" is comedic, cause if you believe you are not part Nigerian (some of you most likely are not) guess what there is somewhere in your report an over compensating error besides Nigerian making these estimate false on more than 1 front, while everybody is distracted by Nigerian where there is more errors present in results.

Scarlet Ibis
02-02-2018, 02:32 AM
Having said this, seems to me it's a waste of money if they are sending people on wild goose chases for non existent ancestors.

This part drives me absolutely crazy. I was chatting with a friend about it just last night, and complaining about how I can imagine how confused some adoptees, and people with large gaps in their family tree are feeling after looking at their MyHeritage results. "Hot mess" is a great way to describe it.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 02:38 AM
the "black Irish" tag has a few origins. in the Caribbean it was given to the offspring of Irish indentured servants and slaves working the sugar cane fields. later it was coined in the Appalachians by American Indians not wanting to get herded off of their land with the forced march to Oklahoma (they said they were black and Irish instead of Indian so that they could stay).

now, the Nigerian thing seems to be a simple default error used for this model at least for the time being. notice no one is getting a 1.3% Japanese or 1.3% Turkish..... yet the Nigerian thing is common across the board and in the same percentage.

Actually, I got 1.3% Central Asian to go with 1.3% Nigerian with MyHeritage

If I use LukaszM model I am 6.8% North Caucasian/Pamirian/Iranian, 2.8% North African/Kushitic/South African HG

JerryS.
02-02-2018, 02:44 AM
MyHeritage is barely that. when I look at their drawn circle for their North African region I can see how maybe, just maybe they are including Italian_South_Sicilian in it. but they completely missed my German.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 02:44 AM
This part drives me absolutely crazy. I was chatting with a friend about it just last night, and complaining about how I can imagine how confused some adoptees, and people with large gaps in their family tree are feeling after looking at their MyHeritage results. "Hot mess" is a great way to describe it.

Why should an adoptee use MyHeritage, not wise decision at all.

JerryS.
02-02-2018, 02:46 AM
Why should an adoptee use MyHeritage, not wise decision at all.

because not everyone is a DNA poindexter, and a novice must start somewhere with a commercial for profit DNA testing company.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 02:58 AM
because not everyone is a DNA poindexter, and a novice must start somewhere with a commercial for profit DNA testing company.

Tell them when they get email for results, go directly to option "download raw data" and never look back. Special advice from Polish poindexter who knows exactly who controls algorithms, and the ones who contols algorithms is not your friend unless you are chosen one, but that is my riddle. :)

JerryS.
02-02-2018, 03:29 AM
Tell them when they get email for results, go directly to option "download raw data" and never look back. Special advice from Polish poindexter who knows exactly who controls algorithms, and the ones who contols algorithms is not your friend unless you are chosen one, but that is my riddle. :)

I tell all the folks I know that get a DNA test done from ABC....XYZ.... to upload the raw data to GEDmatch, use the various ethnicity calculators and sub-models, then look for repeated ethnicities in repeated percentages. if one calculator has small amounts of @#$% and three others have larger amounts of @#$%, its clearly there and the amount is probably the one that's repeated most often. i.e. if one test (Jtest for instance) shows 6% AJ, and MDLP and Dodecad for example show 10% AJ + 90% @#$% in their mixed mode populations over and over..... you might want to buy a yarmulke, even if grandpa says it ain't so.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 03:35 AM
I tell all the folks I know that get a DNA test done from ABC....XYZ.... to upload the raw data to GEDmatch, use the various ethnicity calculators and sub-models, then look for repeated ethnicities in repeated percentages. if one calculator has small amounts of @#$% and three others have larger amounts of @#$%, its clearly there and the amount is probably the one that's repeated most often. i.e. if one test (Jtest for instance) shows 6% AJ, and MDLP and Dodecad for example show 10% AJ + 90% @#$% in their mixed mode populations over and over..... you might want to buy a yarmulke, even if grandpa says it ain't so.

:amen: .

Chad Rohlfsen
02-02-2018, 03:42 AM
You can score as high as Jews on the Jtest and have no Jewish ancestry. If you aren't bombarded with Jewish matches, you don't come from Jews, period.

JerryS.
02-02-2018, 04:39 AM
You can score as high as Jews on the Jtest and have no Jewish ancestry. If you aren't bombarded with Jewish matches, you don't come from Jews, period.

which is why I said to use multiple calculators and look for repeats.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 04:43 AM

Jews score 25-30% Ashkenazi JTest via their own sources ex. Tracing The Tribe, Jewish DNA Interest Group, etc. Also I check many kits from my list Gedmatch. I have seen few also 30-35% range but more rare.

So lets assume person is bombarded with Jewish matches with evident triangulation on non-European DNA segments, and person scores relatively low Ashkenazi score JTest, what is possibility for source of the Jewish matches? If you have time to answer...

I tend to agree @JerryS on this people with 6% range likely have some Jewish ancestor whether Ashkenazi, Sephardic, who knows, many are denial people of mostly Southern European ancestry tend to fall in that 5-7% range on Jtest.

Scarlet Ibis
02-02-2018, 04:55 AM
I tell all the folks I know that get a DNA test done from ABC....XYZ.... to upload the raw data to GEDmatch, use the various ethnicity calculators and sub-models, then look for repeated ethnicities in repeated percentages.

Same, but most people are just falling prey to advertising (AncestryDNA has pretty horrible interpretations, but advertises heavily to consumers, for example). They get the results, and accept the interpretation on the interface as it is without thinking too much about it, and, more importantly, without having someone more acquainted with this stuff to talk to or get advice from.

My sister just got her 23andme results back tonight, actually, and she was wondering about the 0.1% stuff. I told her to ignore it. We have 0.1% Ashkenazi Jewish from our Korean mother's side (she also has the 0.1% in her results). It's highly unlikely to be real. If she didn't have me to tell her, though, she might have accepted it as a factual part of our ancestry, and went about her day.

JerryS.
02-02-2018, 05:07 AM
Same, but most people are just falling prey to advertising (AncestryDNA has pretty horrible interpretations, but advertises heavily to consumers, for example). They get the results, and accept the interpretation on the interface as it is without thinking too much about it, and, more importantly, without having someone more acquainted with this stuff to talk to or get advice from.

My sister just got her 23andme results back tonight, actually, and she was wondering about the 0.1% stuff. I told her to ignore it. We have 0.1% Ashkenazi Jewish from our Korean mother's side (she also has the 0.1% in her results). It's highly unlikely to be real. If she didn't have me to tell her, though, she might have accepted it as a factual part of our ancestry, and went about her day.

yeah, 1/10th of 1% isn't anything I'd hang my hat on no matter what the ethnicity.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 05:12 AM

I agree with first paragraph 100% :)

For second paragraph I am not saying this is case with 0.1% Ashkenazi on your sibling result, just please read:

"Earlier today I helped a woman with her results on another forum she believed she was 100% German, she got on trace results 1.0% Iberian and 0.5% North African with 23andme, I told her upload Gedmatch and MyHeritage, in the meantime she show me her mothers results there was 19% Italy/Greece, 3% Jewish, >1% Middle East with Ancestry.

When she got her Gedmatch it was consistently showing her as 10-15% Jewish on K13 oracle from 1-20. On MyHeritage she got some Ashkenazi Jewish, North African, Nigerian.

She then admitted there was suspicion from her mothers side her great grandfather was Jewish, she showed me who he was and a little article on her family surname it checked out that it was German Jewish, I won't share the last name ofcourse."

Scarlet Ibis
02-02-2018, 05:19 AM

For second paragraph I am not saying this is case with 0.1% Ashkenazi on your sibling result, just please read:

"Earlier today I helped a woman with her results on another forum she believed she was 100% German, she got on trace results 1.0% Iberian and 0.5% North African with 23andme, I told her upload Gedmatch and MyHeritage, in the meantime she show me her mothers results there was 19% Italy/Greece, 3% Jewish, >1% Middle East with Ancestry.

She then admitted there was suspicion from her mothers side her great grandfather was Jewish, she showed me who he was and a little article on her family surname it checked out that it was German Jewish, I won't share the last name ofcourse."

Oh yeah, for sure, if there is more circumstantial evidence, and if calculators and commercial interpretations are consistent, then smaller numbers can definitely be worth digging into!

I don't think there would be a distant Ashkenazi Jewish ancestor from Korea, though. Or at least I haven't seen evidence of it. It is interesting to think about, though.

JerryS.
02-02-2018, 05:22 AM

For second paragraph I am not saying this is case with 0.1% Ashkenazi on your sibling result, just please read

I looked at my DNA matches on MyHeritage and find some bad discrepancies. one was a cousin that is more than 1/4 south Italian and got 0% southern European, but 13% west Asian. another that is 1/4 Italian and got 8% Greek and 12% Iberian. on the flip side I have another cousin that is half Italian and got 62% Italian! LOL. BTW, some of us got Nigerian too but there was no pattern to it. I think when the data was loaded and "estimated" played a big part in how it was analyzed. I had yet another cousin load the very same raw data two months apart and get different readings as in Italian on the first, then no Italian on the second but instead had 12% Scandinavian. all this leads me to have serious doubts regarding MyHeritage's calculating model for anything other than N.W. Europe which seems to be the only thing they get reasonably correct, except for German.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 05:28 AM
Oh yeah, for sure, if there is more circumstantial evidence, and if calculators and commercial interpretations are consistent, then smaller numbers can definitely be worth digging into!

I don't think there would be a distant Ashkenazi Jewish ancestor from Korea, though. Or at least I haven't seen evidence of it. It is interesting to think about, though.

In her case she was 98.5% Northwest European on 23andme, so that is where her Jewish component was masked, that might be controversial for some to believe, but its reality and comes down to the reference samples for each commercial company and if Jewish component is present in reference samples, everyone who gets assign that component results potentially is skewed.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 05:36 AM
I looked at my DNA matches on MyHeritage and find some bad discrepancies. one was a cousin that is more than 1/4 south Italian and got 0% southern European, but 13% west Asian. another that is 1/4 Italian and got 8% Greek and 12% Iberian. on the flip side I have another cousin that is half Italian and got 62% Italian! LOL. BTW, some of us got Nigerian too but there was no pattern to it. I think when the data was loaded and "estimated" played a big part in how it was analyzed. I had yet another cousin load the very same raw data two months apart and get different readings as in Italian on the first, then no Italian on the second but instead had 12% Scandinavian. all this leads me to have serious doubts regarding MyHeritage's calculating model for anything other than N.W. Europe which seems to be the only thing they get reasonably correct, except for German.

I think they are wrong region sometimes what is assigned, but the general area of component usually matches the markers of your data, I believe other commercial company all make similar errors, for some reason MyHeritage is more obvious errors ex. Polish assign Native American, Jews assign Nigerian, Irish assign Central American, etc

JerryS.
02-02-2018, 05:42 AM
I think they are wrong region sometimes what is assigned, but the general area of component usually matches the markers of your data, I believe other commercial company all make similar errors, for some reason MyHeritage is more obvious errors ex. Polish assign Native American, Jews assign Nigerian, Irish assign Central American, etc

that contradicts itself.

msmarjoribanks
02-02-2018, 05:42 AM
There's still no actual evidence that MyHeritage is assigning Nigerian specifically to those with Jewish ancestry. I'm not sure why you think it is true.

JerryS.
02-02-2018, 05:43 AM
There's still no actual evidence that MyHeritage is assigning Nigerian specifically to those with Jewish ancestry. I'm not sure why you think it is true.

what? I never said that.

msmarjoribanks
02-02-2018, 05:49 AM
Sorry, Jerry, did not see your post. I was responding to the bolded below:

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 05:49 AM

Still no evidence bug, or noises. :)

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 05:55 AM
Sorry, Jerry, did not see your post. I was responding to the bolded below:

Since you are expert @msmarjoribanks here is my match 15 CM, one of highest for me, how we are related you think?

msmarjoribanks
02-02-2018, 05:56 AM
This, from a few days ago, plus many other such results mentioned in the thread in the past few days, plus my own experiment.

Chad Rohlfsen
02-02-2018, 06:08 AM
Jews score 25-30% Ashkenazi JTest via their own sources ex. Tracing The Tribe, Jewish DNA Interest Group, etc. Also I check many kits from my list Gedmatch. I have seen few also 30-35% range but more rare.

So lets assume person is bombarded with Jewish matches with evident triangulation on non-European DNA segments, and person scores relatively low Ashkenazi score JTest, what is possibility for source of the Jewish matches? If you have time to answer...

I tend to agree @JerryS on this people with 6% range likely have some Jewish ancestor whether Ashkenazi, Sephardic, who knows, many are denial people of mostly Southern European ancestry tend to fall in that 5-7% range on Jtest.

Southern Euros have Levantine ancestry that isn't Jewish. Forget the calculators. Go by relative matches, haplotype sharing, IBD, etc.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 06:13 AM
Southern Euros have Levantine ancestry that isn't Jewish. Forget the calculators. Go by relative matches, haplotype sharing, IBD, etc.

True, I was going mention that possibility but tired of typing, usually Southern Euros are bombarded with Jewish matches though they kits I check on Gedmatch, ofcourse from my own Top 2000 Matchlist.

msmarjoribanks
02-02-2018, 06:16 AM
Since you are expert @msmarjoribanks here is my match 15 CM, one of highest for me, how we are related you think?

Answering this seriously, although I know it was not intended that way, I would not look at the ethnicities unless there was an obvious connection there. I certainly would not look at the trace ethnicities. And I would keep in mind that there have been lots of reports of MyHeritage matches that lack any common ethnicity. I would not assume that the Nigerian represents something the two of you share in common, as it doesn't seem to track any specific component (and does not seem to represent actual Nigerian).

If the TOTAL match is 15 cM, I'd be aware it could be a false positive, too, but one question would be whether there's a 15 cM segment, making the match more likely. If at all possible I would triangulate. One reason I had my parents tested (not the only one) is that it makes it easier to compare matches.

Given that MyHeritage matching seems iffy at the moment, I'd also try to find the person on another service, like Gedmatch, to compare there.

To figure out the source of the relationship (if a real one), I'd be aware we are talking distant cousins, but try a paper record -- what countries is he aware of ancestry from, vs. you? If you think it's on the Jewish side, is he aware of Jewish ancestry? If not, I'd start by looking at comparisons with the chromosome where the match is and, ideally, other matches.

I would not look in Nigeria based on what you've said about your ancestry, obviously.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 06:38 AM
MyHeritage

FionnSneachta
02-02-2018, 08:47 AM
Ladies, the conversation has shifted from genetic components to off topic physical appearance dialogue, how I can take this seriously when people are talking about farmer tan or no? When I spoke to some Irish gentleman recently he scored 95% Irish on Ancestry, I asked why so high Irish component? He replied that his ancestors all had Irish origin. He said one line of his family were of "Black Irish" also known as French Huguenots who were descendants of Sephardic Jews who escaped from Spain into France during inquisition times and later resettled in Ireland.

As far as Nigerian component there is a number of possibility I have an opinion others have opinion. I have made some points, so have others, read them maybe they clarify or not some things you don't have to agree you can always trust the laws of MyHeritage. I'm not debating off topic things for sake of debating, jumping from a one topic to the next is too much fruitless investment.

I posted my scores on other page you can look, my Jewish component varies on all the estimates and sometimes it's not present (Ancestry) or is replaced by South Euro/MENA components. I mention before I documented my history back 300-400 years.

I was merely pointing out that the term 'Black Irish' is mainly used to describe phenotype when applied to people still living in Ireland. The term has little basis to go on. The term is used on people with no known Spanish or African ancestry. It was used on people with a certain phenotype and assumed it arose from the Spanish Armada. It's also very impressive if an Irish person was able to research back to inquisition times. I don't know why you seem to think that people here are believing these reports. If that was the case we would have all believed that we have Nigerian ancestry. You're the one who seems to be adding weight to it.

sktibo
02-02-2018, 09:04 AM
Here in Canada I've met a few people who have told me they are "Black Irish" just meaning that one of their ethnicities is Irish (sometimes the only one) and they have black or very dark brown hair and they tan quite well. Seems the people I've met who use it use it pretty loosely. That is the context in which I have encountered this term so far.
Kinda weird that they mention the "black" part when they could have just told me "Irish" but it seems to be a thing somehow...

firemonkey
02-02-2018, 09:35 AM
I reuploaded my father's FTDNA data. As you can see no Nigerian.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 09:47 AM
I reuploaded my father's FTDNA data. As you can see no Nigerian.

Check post #3 in this thread, the girl Nigerian was invented from her Northwest Euro.

What does your father results change? You are still an E, and you have tested FTDNA even though it has come from your father, don't trust MyHeritage estimate regardless even if makes more sense now or before.

firemonkey
02-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Check post #3 in this thread, the girl Nigerian was invented from her Northwest Euro.

What does your father results change? You are still an E, and you have tested FTDNA even though it has come from your father, don't trust MyHeritage estimate regardless even if makes more sense now or before.

I am puzzled by your response. What is so relevant about post #3 ? Also why the focus on the fact my Y-dna is E? That only covers one line.

evon
02-02-2018, 10:51 AM
This, from a few days ago, plus many other such results mentioned in the thread in the past few days, plus my own experiment.

I can add that literary every 2nd match my accounts (I have 10 uploaded profiles there now) have gotten over the last few days have Nigerian at around 1%. The bug is not limited to our predominantly northern European matches, as my wife has plenty of Greek and other southern European matches with the exact same "Nigerian" %. There is no way this is real admixture..

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 11:37 AM
I can add that literary every 2nd match my accounts (I have 10 uploaded profiles there now) have gotten over the last few days have Nigerian at around 1%. The bug is not limited to our predominantly northern European matches, as my wife has plenty of Greek and other southern European matches with the exact same "Nigerian" %. There is no way this is real admixture..

You are sure, post K36

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 11:40 AM
I am puzzled by your response. What is so relevant about post #3 ? Also why the focus on the fact my Y-dna is E? That only covers one line.

Relevant post #3 Nigerian has been reinvented from Northwest Euro showing this pattern as probable.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 11:51 AM
that contradicts itself.

What does that contadict? If you don't think you are Nigerian you have some markers that will plot close with Nigerian or else they would not assign this component if deemed not necessary.

evon
02-02-2018, 12:19 PM
You are sure, post K36

What do you mean? Are you referring to Eurogenes K36? If so please explain your argument.

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 12:29 PM
What do you mean? Are you referring to Eurogenes K36? If so please explain your argument.

Ok makes sense now, you are subjectively speaking on other people results that you manage not your own, I see

evon
02-02-2018, 12:43 PM
Ok makes sense now, you are subjectively speaking on other people results that you manage not your own, I see

Not sure if you are trolling or not here, but for the sake of argument..

I am talking about the 100's of new matches we have received this week, where about half of them have Nigerian at 0.5-1,5%, which is contrasted with the 100's of new matches we got a few weeks ago, where 0 in a 100 have Nigerian %. So clearly something is wrong here. The statistical chance that 50% of our matches this week have Nigerian at 0,5%-1,5%, whereas 99% of our matches from the previous weeks have 0% Nigerian are astronomical (even more so if you also consider that these new matches are usually closely related to the matches we gained the previous weeks)..

The argument that Nigerian is so widespread in the population, that it comes up in 1 in 2 matches, could be made for countries such as USA etc, but when I see it at 1 in 2 matches from Finland and Scandinavia, something is wrong... The little African admixture we have in the Nordic region is very rare and is usually tied to a known African ancestor within the last 300 years.

One of my recent Finnish matches admixture % as an example:
http://i66.tinypic.com/kdr0oy.jpg

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Not sure if you are trolling or not here, but for the sake of argument..

I am talking about the 100's of new matches we have received this week, where about half of them have Nigerian at 0.5-1,5%, which is contrasted with the 100's of new matches we got a few weeks ago, where 0 in a 100 have Nigerian %. So clearly something is wrong here. The statistical chance that 50% of our matches this week have Nigerian at 0,5%-1,5%, whereas 50% of our matches from the previous weeks have 0% Nigerian are astronomical (even more so if you also consider that these new matches are usually closely related to the matches we gained the previous weeks)..

The argument that Nigerian is so widespread in the population, that it comes up in 1 in 2 matches, could be made for countries such as USA etc, but when I see it at 1 in 2 matches from Finland and Scandinavia, something is wrong... The little African admixture we have in the Nordic region is very rare and is usually tied to a known African ancestor within the last 300 years.

One of my recent Finnish matches admixture % as an example:
http://i66.tinypic.com/kdr0oy.jpg

Where did Italian go? On the update

evon
02-02-2018, 02:36 PM
Where did Italian go? On the update

That is my admixture %, not the Finnish match, and since I uploaded before this bug took effect I dont have any Nigerian (as is right).

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 03:25 PM
That is my admixture %, not the Finnish match, and since I uploaded before this bug took effect I dont have any Nigerian (as is right).

How do you know upload now, it will change. Those Southern European and MENA components are interchangeable cause of close proximity they plot to each other that region has connected Mediterranean historically, when you upload your data numerous times the results change, there is not set-in-stone components.

evon
02-02-2018, 04:01 PM
How do you know upload now, it will change. Those Southern European and MENA components are interchangeable cause of close proximity they plot to each other that region has connected Mediterranean historically, when you upload your data numerous times the results change, there is not set-in-stone components.

Yes the various components can vary somewhat with each upload, and they might even change into a neighboring cluster, but Nigerian is not a neighboring cluster of Italian. Furthermore, if this was a matter of "mislabeling" it would vary much more than between 0,5%-1,5%. As my wife has matches with predominantly southern European ancestry, and they too only get between 0,5%-1,5%. None of her matches has say 40% Nigerian in place of their 40% Italian..

Modernancientdna
02-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Yes the various components can vary somewhat with each upload, and they might even change into a neighboring cluster, but Nigerian is not a neighboring cluster of Italian. Furthermore, if this was a matter of "mislabeling" it would vary much more than between 0,5%-1,5%. As my wife has matches with predominantly southern European ancestry, and they too only get between 0,5%-1,5%. None of her matches has say 40% Nigerian in place of their 40% Italian..

This ratio can't be compared 1:1 Nigerian/Italian. If the company substitutes Nigerian for some southern component (or any component really) in your results in my case Nigerian was out of (Eastern European, Ashkenazi Jewish) than obvious counter reaction for this will be increase in northern component in your estimate due to how southern Nigerians will plot.

Therefore will be more than 1 error with MyHeritage, actually kind of clever trick I admit, proof look how many people can be get confuse.

msmarjoribanks
02-03-2018, 12:24 AM
I don't think Nigerian looks much like Southern European or Ashkenazi in reality. Some various others from Eurogenes K13, and then a Nigerian population, with some of the components we have been discussing (sigh, unfortunately my formatting did not work out):

Population WMed WAsian EMed RedSea NEAfr SSA
Algerian_Jewish 22.86 10.35 37.03 7.63 2.22 1.91
Ashkenazi 18.44 10.29 34.61 5.98 1.15 0.50
Assyrian 11.50 32.63 39.64 7.78 0.19 0.02
Austrian 14.58 7.23 8.23 1.56 0.07 0.00
French 19.50 4.96 10.33 2.82 0.07 0.12
French_Basque 35.86 0.35 3.07 0.31 0.22 0.04
Georgian_Jewish 10.91 36.22 36.59 8.26 0.11 0.00
Iranian_Jewish 8.94 29.82 41.97 9.77 0.74 0.20
Irish 12.39 6.32 1.41 0.82 0.18 0.10
Italian_Jewish 21.20 10.89 38.45 7.05 1.82 0.06
Lebanese_Druze 10.62 21.22 48.65 9.37 0.58 0.30
Sephardic_Jewish 19.83 13.04 36.91 8.90 1.12 0.65
Spanish_Aragon 29.79 1.32 12.05 2.37 0.46 0.04
Spanish_Cataluna 25.78 3.08 13.09 1.51 0.45 0.77
Spanish_Galicia 26.23 1.97 11.93 4.55 1.26 1.16
Spanish_Valencia 27.72 1.90 14.85 1.32 0.31 0.65

Yoruban 0.11 0.20 0.13 0.91 2.91 95.20

Modernancientdna
02-03-2018, 05:00 AM
I don't think Nigerian looks much like Southern European or Ashkenazi in reality. Some various others from Eurogenes K13, and then a Nigerian population, with some of the components we have been discussing (sigh, unfortunately my formatting did not work out):

Population WMed WAsian EMed RedSea NEAfr SSA
Algerian_Jewish 22.86 10.35 37.03 7.63 2.22 1.91
Ashkenazi 18.44 10.29 34.61 5.98 1.15 0.50
Assyrian 11.50 32.63 39.64 7.78 0.19 0.02
Austrian 14.58 7.23 8.23 1.56 0.07 0.00
French 19.50 4.96 10.33 2.82 0.07 0.12
French_Basque 35.86 0.35 3.07 0.31 0.22 0.04
Georgian_Jewish 10.91 36.22 36.59 8.26 0.11 0.00
Iranian_Jewish 8.94 29.82 41.97 9.77 0.74 0.20
Irish 12.39 6.32 1.41 0.82 0.18 0.10
Italian_Jewish 21.20 10.89 38.45 7.05 1.82 0.06
Lebanese_Druze 10.62 21.22 48.65 9.37 0.58 0.30
Sephardic_Jewish 19.83 13.04 36.91 8.90 1.12 0.65
Spanish_Aragon 29.79 1.32 12.05 2.37 0.46 0.04
Spanish_Cataluna 25.78 3.08 13.09 1.51 0.45 0.77
Spanish_Galicia 26.23 1.97 11.93 4.55 1.26 1.16
Spanish_Valencia 27.72 1.90 14.85 1.32 0.31 0.65

Yoruban 0.11 0.20 0.13 0.91 2.91 95.20

Exactly right, thats why it can not be compared 1:1 ratio.

Trixster
02-03-2018, 05:15 AM
I see this thread is still going. MyHeritage has acknowledged the issue in the algorithm for people of European descent showing unexplained Nigerian dna ~ 1%

They are currently working on an update.

"Edit*

Modernancientdna
02-03-2018, 05:57 AM
MyHeritage random person complaint via online

timberwolf
02-03-2018, 06:33 AM
Gentleman from other forum message MyHeritage cause he was pissed they not show Jewish component for him instead (Nigerian) and same his kids results he was getting various Jewish on other commercial calcs.

Here what MyHeritage said, ofcourse they will not admit mistake bad for business so blame it on "Noise". First MyHeritage response, his results, both his kids results.

There no consistency regardless with MyHeritage, you can discount Nigerian still his result and kids I counted 9 seperate components shuffled, how? MyHeritage defense team, please explain how is possible, or how this company can be validated at all?

The measure of Myheritage's quality, will how they respond to these obvious errors.

If they are updating their algorithms. I will wait and see what they come up with. Hopefully a massive improvement on the hot mess it currently is.

Modernancientdna
02-03-2018, 06:43 AM
MyHeritage is still in the works, only development level for now

Modernancientdna
02-03-2018, 06:49 AM
The measure of Myheritage's quality, will how they respond to these obvious errors.

If they are updating their algorithms. I will wait and see what they come up with. Hopefully a massive improvement on the hot mess it currently is.

I agree, we will see what changes. I would not assume though was forsure unintentional error on part of MyHeritage, I think they got a lots of complaints.

I wonder if so many Europeans would still make complaints if was not foreign component to Europe as Nigerian is, my guess probably not.

evon
02-03-2018, 09:16 AM
This ratio can't be compared 1:1 Nigerian/Italian. If the company substitutes Nigerian for some southern component (or any component really) in your results in my case Nigerian was out of (Eastern European, Ashkenazi Jewish) than obvious counter reaction for this will be increase in northern component in your estimate due to how southern Nigerians will plot.

Therefore will be more than 1 error with MyHeritage, actually kind of clever trick I admit, proof look how many people can be get confuse.

I think you are confusing admixture with PCA map, these are not the same thing.

evon
02-03-2018, 09:18 AM
I see this thread is still going. MyHeritage has acknowledged the issue in the algorithm for people of European descent showing unexplained Nigerian dna ~ 1%

They are currently working on an update.

"Edit*

Did they mention if this would result in a recalculation of all samples in the database?

Geborgenheit
02-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Gentleman from other forum message MyHeritage cause he was pissed they not show Jewish component for him instead (Nigerian) and same his kids results he was getting various Jewish on other commercial calcs.

And I have thought MyHeritage overestimates the Jewish component for everybody. :)

Not taking their results too seriously anymore.

But it should be admitted that they do try to improve, all respect for their team!

Modernancientdna
02-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Did they mention if this would result in a recalculation of all samples in the database?

Ok we will see update if there is update, what is big change of components and where they are re-distribute next.

MyHeritage is only development company for now

Modernancientdna
02-03-2018, 10:00 AM
I think you are confusing admixture with PCA map, these are not the same thing.

PCA Map has nothing to do with Nigerian being assigned.

Modernancientdna
02-03-2018, 10:20 AM
When will be update?

Jessie
02-03-2018, 11:29 AM

Irish don't appear to get Iberian much. There are many other nationalities where it is more common to get Iberian in their results. None of my family does and I've done a lot of dna tests.

http://i63.tinypic.com/x3a34w.jpg

I just uploaded my Ancestry results so it should be interesting to see if I get any Nigerian.

Modernancientdna
02-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Irish don't appear to get Iberian much. There are many other nationalities where it is more common to get Iberian in their results. None of my family does and I've done a lot of dna tests.

http://i63.tinypic.com/x3a34w.jpg

I just uploaded my Ancestry results so it should be interesting to see if I get any Nigerian.

You are making bias base of 1 fraction of people your own family. I have seen Irish persons get assign Iberian before, my word.

Jessie
02-03-2018, 11:54 AM
You are making bias base of 1 fraction of people your own family. I have seen Irish persons get assign Iberian before, my word.

I've seen a lot of Irish results so no. I also share with a large amount of Irish on 23andMe and can see their results. It is not common for Irish people because on these sorts of tests that get an overwhelmingly amount of British & Irish on 23andMe, Ireland, Scotland and Wales on Ancestry etc. I've also been looking at this for years. There is another Irish person that has stated the same thing and there are also some other Irish people that have posted their results in some of the threads on here.

There is also detailed dna studies now where you can see the admixture in Ireland.

You should look at lots of results of different nationalities to make comparisons.

Modernancientdna
02-03-2018, 11:57 AM
I've seen a lot of Irish results so no. I also share with a large amount of Irish on 23andMe and can see their results. It is not common for Irish people because on these sorts of tests that get an overwhelmingly amount of British & Irish on 23andMe, Ireland, Scotland and Wales on Ancestry etc. I've also been looking at this for years. There is another Irish person that has stated the same thing and there are also some other Irish people that have posted their results in some of the threads on here.

There is also detailed dna studies now where you can see the admixture in Ireland.

Floyd Mayweather :boxing:

Jessie
02-03-2018, 01:19 PM
This is my dna kit uploaded to MyHeritage from ftdna. It was done a while ago but some differences from my 23andMe kit. My Ancestry kit hasn't been processed yet.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2ih3zuc.jpg

evon
02-03-2018, 03:30 PM
This is my dna kit uploaded to MyHeritage from ftdna. It was done a while ago but some differences from my 23andMe kit. My Ancestry kit hasn't been processed yet.

The datafile used by Myheritage is closer to the one used by FTDNA in terms of SNP placement and count, so it should be more valuable than a 23andme transfer (especially if it is a 23andme V4 or V5 file). As an example, my family members who are tested with FTDNA have more matches at Myheritage than me (my file is a 23ande V3 file)...

Jessie
02-03-2018, 03:45 PM
The datafile used by Myheritage is closer to the one used by FTDNA in terms of SNP placement and count, so it should be more valuable than a 23andme transfer (especially if it is a 23andme V4 or V5 file). As an example, my family members who are tested with FTDNA have more matches at Myheritage than me (my file is a 23ande V3 file)...

That makes sense as my FTDNA breakdown is remarkably similar to my brother's although his was also a 23andMe upload.

This is his breakdown.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2jc5ulj.jpg

evon
02-03-2018, 04:48 PM
It looks like it is fixed, as the new matches we got today lack the Nigerian %. But the matches we got last week still have it, so I dont know if they will recalculate them or just keep it as if?

JerryS.
02-03-2018, 05:24 PM
It looks like it is fixed, as the new matches we got today lack the Nigerian %. But the matches we got last week still have it, so I dont know if they will recalculate them or just keep it as if?

I just checked mine on MyHeritage, it has not been corrected.

evon
02-03-2018, 05:34 PM

Hopefully a recalculation of those affected it will happen within a few days..

Jessie
02-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Here's my Ancestry upload. It is almost identical to my 23andMe upload.

http://i67.tinypic.com/b7faep.jpg

My brother's FTDNA upload

http://i63.tinypic.com/jrzdcn.jpg

Trace regions are obviously not something you can take too seriously.

msmarjoribanks
02-03-2018, 07:40 PM
And I have thought MyHeritage overestimates the Jewish component for everybody. :)

Not taking their results too seriously anymore.

But it should be admitted that they do try to improve, all respect for their team!

On the majority of the results MyHeritage matched my paper research really well, better than either FTDNA or Ancestry, but clearly that is not the case for everyone and may just be a total coincidence.

Trixster
02-03-2018, 11:52 PM

Delete it and upload it again

:)

Modernancientdna
02-04-2018, 12:58 AM
Here's my Ancestry upload. It is almost identical to my 23andMe upload.

http://i67.tinypic.com/b7faep.jpg

My brother's FTDNA upload

http://i63.tinypic.com/jrzdcn.jpg

Trace regions are obviously not something you can take too seriously.

MyHeritage said over 2% not "statistical noise", if trace region not taken seriously why would take the rest of report seriously?

So far you are Greek, Ashkenazi Jewish, Italian, Eastern European, Baltic. What will be next? :)

JerryS.
02-04-2018, 02:08 AM
Delete it and upload it again

:)

done, now waiting (two days?) for the results....

timberwolf
02-04-2018, 07:05 AM
Reloaded my 23andme kit and Nigerian is gone.

Europe
100.0%
North and West Europe
58.6%
47.0%
Scandinavian
11.6%
South Europe
22.5%
Iberian
17.4%
Italian
5.1%
East Europe
18.9%
East European
17.7%
Baltic
1.2%

Mstock
02-04-2018, 07:35 AM

Europe
100.0%
North and West Europe
58.6%
47.0%
Scandinavian
11.6%
South Europe
22.5%
Iberian
17.4%
Italian
5.1%
East Europe
18.9%
East European
17.7%
Baltic
1.2%
Does it seem correct or closer to what you expect? I reloaded mine as well and I’m waiting for results.

BalkanKiwi
02-04-2018, 07:37 AM

Europe
100.0%
North and West Europe
58.6%
47.0%
Scandinavian
11.6%
South Europe
22.5%
Iberian
17.4%
Italian
5.1%
East Europe
18.9%
East European
17.7%
Baltic
1.2%

I also did this. However my sister's is still there and my mothers is still processing. It's gone from my results, my grandmothers and grandfathers.

Mstock
02-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Balkan what did it reassign from the African Dna?

BalkanKiwi
02-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Balkan what did it reassign from the African Dna?

It seems to have gone back into my East European, 1.5% back into Italian and potentially some into Baltic. I also uploaded my 23andMe data to compare. I didn't get any African on this either. I'm not sure why Italian is being picked up. My sister doesn't get any.

FTDNA

https://i.imgur.com/GArAAy2.jpg

23andMe

https://i.imgur.com/sUQqNDB.jpg

timberwolf
02-04-2018, 09:14 AM
Does it seem correct or closer to what you expect? I reloaded mine as well and I’m waiting for results.

Nope. My paper trail is solely British last 200-300 years.
Very often I do get Iberian, and I do seem to get the odd distant Spanish, southern French match, and the same with Scandinavians. There maybe something in that, or there may not be.

I don't think Myheritage is reflecting recent history at all. Your DNA matches will tell you more, than any ancestry calculator.

BalkanKiwi
02-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Upon re-uploading, my grandfather lost his 3.3% Greek, where as now my mother has 3.9% Greek. Clearly still in beta.

firemonkey
02-04-2018, 10:40 AM
My Nigerian 1.3 and 1.4% went to be replaced by Central Asia 1.8%. Less than 1% Great Britain and Ireland get it . Also checked Finnish I get again less than 1% Great Britain and Ireland get it.

JerryS.
02-04-2018, 05:00 PM
i just got my reloaded results back. 100% all U.K. in fact I'm more U.K. than the folks born and raised in the U.K. with family roots there for generations LOL!!!

Europe

100.0%

•North and West Europe

100.0%

English

74.5%

25.5%

they've reassigned the previous N. African and Nigerian all to the U.K.
there is clearly something wrong with this model.

msmarjoribanks
02-04-2018, 08:18 PM
That's weird and hilarious, Jerry.

I think I'm the only one MyHeritage's algorithm seems to work for (although I deleted the FTDNA upload with the Nigerian so will have to see what they do with it now). My Ancestry upload is:

Europe 95.7%

English 55.2% -- probably about right
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 16.8% -- low, but not too bad
North and West European 11.5% -- a bit high, but consistent with having a bit of German, French, and Dutch
Scandinavian 7.5% -- combined with the Finnish not far off my known 12.5% Swedish
Finnish 1.5%

East Europe 1.9%
Baltic 1.9% -- beats me, but could come from my German or Swedish

South Europe 1.3%
Iberian 1.3% -- my dad's Iberian is a bit higher than usual for someone with his background on Gedmatch, so I'm not surprised I get a little, could also be from the French (I have no idea where in France those ancestors are from, could have some Southern French)

Asia 4.3% -- no clue about this, but not that weird
West Asia 3.2%
Central Asia 1.1%

FionnSneachta
02-04-2018, 10:14 PM
I think I'm the only one MyHeritage's algorithm seems to work for (although I deleted the FTDNA upload with the Nigerian so will have to see what they do with it now).

My results also seemed to be accurate with MyHeritage. I got 100% Irish etc. My dad got 99% Irish and then that 1% Nigerian. My mum's were a bit off though. She got 85% Irish, 14% English and 1% Nigerian. The 14% English seems a bit high. There's probably some English at some stage but I don't think that it should be that high. The only surname that seems like it could be of recent English origin is Knott. Knott wouldn't be a common surname and the two main clusters seem to be in Dublin and the Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim border. I don't think that my ancestor was meant to have been originally Protestant which could indicate more English recent ancestry. However, according to family lore a lot of her sisters married Protestants so there could have been some mixing going back before that like a parent or grandparent being Protestant. It makes me wonder though why Knotts would have gone to that area of the west of Ireland if they were from England rather than go to Dublin like most other Knotts.

My 3x great grandmother is a bit of a mystery and she would have been about a half hour drive or almost 5 hour walk from her future husband which would have been unusual in my family since most seemed to marry someone from a neighbouring townland. I haven't found her in any records since it's too far back but it's interesting that her name has been passed down. My mum recalls her dad mentioning her name and she recognised the name when I came across it in family notes sent to me. Unfortunately, she can't remember what it was in relation to. She regrets not having paid as much attention when he was around since he loved family history and history in general and would often talk about family stories. I never knew him since I wasn't even a year when he passed away. Another thing that I found interesting was that on the family gravestone her maiden name is recorded along with her married name. This didn't happen for any other female ancestor in my family which makes me wonder if there's something to her. I know that my cousins' ancestors kept naming their children Stafford since there was a female ancestor with this surname from a prominent family and they wanted to hold on to that connection. I don't know if it's anything like that but it makes me wonder nonetheless and I'll probably keep wondering forever. I know that I'm rambling but I'm sort trying to get my own thought in order.

I've reuploaded my mum and dad's results anyway to see what happens. It will be interesting to see what happens to my dad's 1% and if my mum's English remains as high. It will probably be about a week before I get the updated results though based on last time.

Mstock
02-04-2018, 10:50 PM
My results came back and no African. Everything looks pretty accurate but I still have no clue where my Italian and Balkan came from.
North and West Europe
79.8%
North and West European
64.8%
English
11.2%
3.8%
East Europe
13.9%
East European
7.3%
Balkan
6.6%
South Europe
6.3%
Italian
6.3%

msmarjoribanks
02-05-2018, 04:02 PM
My 3x great grandmother is a bit of a mystery and she would have been about a half hour drive or almost 5 hour walk from her future husband which would have been unusual in my family since most seemed to marry someone from a neighbouring townland. I haven't found her in any records since it's too far back but it's interesting that her name has been passed down. My mum recalls her dad mentioning her name and she recognised the name when I came across it in family notes sent to me. Unfortunately, she can't remember what it was in relation to. She regrets not having paid as much attention when he was around since he loved family history and history in general and would often talk about family stories. I never knew him since I wasn't even a year when he passed away. Another thing that I found interesting was that on the family gravestone her maiden name is recorded along with her married name. This didn't happen for any other female ancestor in my family which makes me wonder if there's something to her. I know that my cousins' ancestors kept naming their children Stafford since there was a female ancestor with this surname from a prominent family and they wanted to hold on to that connection. I don't know if it's anything like that but it makes me wonder nonetheless and I'll probably keep wondering forever. I know that I'm rambling but I'm sort trying to get my own thought in order.

I love things like that -- you really wonder about the backstory.

My dad has a mystery 3x great grandmother, perhaps. That part of his family was from a farm in Diddlebury, Shropshire, and almost all marriages are easy to find there or in neighboring parishes, but in 1795 he went to London (in his early 20s) to marry an older woman, Anna Maria, who had been married before (I don't know her surname or where she was from). She died between the 1841 and 1851 censuses, so "NO" is written for "born in this county?" (Shropshire) in 1841, but I don't get the information on her birthplace. I hope I someday manage to find out more of the details.

timberwolf
02-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Just when I thought they had fixed their bug. They updated my latest upload. Originally Nigerian was gone, now its back.

97.5%
North and West Europe
57.1%
45.8%
Scandinavian
11.3%
South Europe
22.0%
Iberian
17.0%
Italian
5.0%
East Europe
18.4%
East European
17.3%
Baltic
1.1%
Africa
2.5%
North Africa
1.7%
North African
1.7%
West Africa
0.8%
Nigerian
0.8%

Two days ago it was

Europe
100.0%
North and West Europe
58.6%
47.0%
Scandinavian
11.6%
South Europe
22.5%
Iberian
17.4%
Italian
5.1%
East Europe
18.9%
East European
17.7%
Baltic
1.2%

FionnSneachta
02-05-2018, 09:42 PM
It's strange that your Nigerian came back. They completed my parents upload much quicker than expected. My dad's results came back and his Nigerian went into Irish so he's now 100% Irish, Scottish Wales. My mum's 1% Nigerian got split between Irish and English with 0.1% going to Irish 0.9% going to English. She's now 85.1% Irish and 14.9% English so there's not much of a change other than the Nigerian.

BalkanKiwi
02-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Just when I thought they had fixed their bug. They updated my latest upload. Originally Nigerian was gone, now its back.

97.5%
North and West Europe
57.1%
45.8%
Scandinavian
11.3%
South Europe
22.0%
Iberian
17.0%
Italian
5.0%
East Europe
18.4%
East European
17.3%
Baltic
1.1%
Africa
2.5%
North Africa
1.7%
North African
1.7%
West Africa
0.8%
Nigerian
0.8%

Two days ago it was

Europe
100.0%
North and West Europe
58.6%
47.0%
Scandinavian
11.6%
South Europe
22.5%
Iberian
17.4%
Italian
5.1%
East Europe
18.9%
East European
17.7%
Baltic
1.2%

My kits have also been updated. I now get 1.1% Nigerian. I better start looking for that elusive Nigerian ancestor.

firemonkey
02-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Same here. The Nigerian went and then came back!

timberwolf
02-05-2018, 09:52 PM
My kits have also been updated. I now get 1.1% Nigerian. I better start looking for that elusive Nigerian ancestor.

Yeah there is a problem with their algorithm.

If I look at my matches about 2000, 99% are from Anglo Saxon nations, that tells me far more about my ancestry, than their ancestry estimate.

There is a small lot from the Nordic nations and the Spanish speaking world and some with Southern French ancestry, but that would total maybe 20 matches in total. My matches reflect my real ancestry.

FionnSneachta
02-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Oh well looks like I deleted it for nothing since it will probably come back. Unfortunately my matches aren't back yet. I wouldn't mind but I have a match on GEDmatch who tested with MyHeritage and I'd be interested to see if shared matches there could tell me anything. Even if it gets fixed in the future, I don't think that I'll bother deleting it for the sake of losing 1% Nigerian.

evon
02-05-2018, 10:21 PM

At least we know they are working on it... Some of our new Norwegian matches are now showing a similar % of West African, which I guess is the Nigerian % :p They really should warn people about this issue..

fostert
02-06-2018, 12:06 AM
I don't think Myheritage is reflecting recent history at all. Your DNA matches will tell you more, than any ancestry calculator.

I personally don't think MyHeritage is reflecting any history - of all the big 5 (23,FTDNA, Ancestry,Living,MH) they are the worst for matching, or even coming close to, my paper trail. They completely miss my 25% Irish and French, assigning it all to scandinavian. Useless. This along with their initial DNA relative matching problems means they have a very, very long way to go before they put out a trustworthy and useful product, at least to my standards.

JerryS.
02-06-2018, 02:34 AM
well, yesterday my reloaded results showed all U.K. but today the Nigerian is back. LOL

Modernancientdna
02-06-2018, 05:49 AM
Before, After:

78.1% East European, now 77.7%
16.9% Baltic, now 17.3%
2.4% Ashkenazi Jewish, now 2.5%
1.3% Nigerian, now 1.3%
1.3% Central Asian, now 1.2%

Big update :)

Jessie
02-06-2018, 11:40 AM
This was another upload of my brother ftdna and he now has Nigerian. :)

http://i64.tinypic.com/30wnm8y.jpg

Isidro
02-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Sharing my results. I see no changes in mine.

evon
02-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Sharing my results. I see no changes in mine.

It only affected those who uploaded their results within the last few weeks. those of us who uploaded our results before that time have not had the Nigerian/west African %..

Isidro
02-06-2018, 01:11 PM
It only affected those who uploaded their results within the last few weeks. those of us who uploaded our results before that time have not had the Nigerian/west African %..

Thanks, I've uploaded FF and 23andMe.
Will share results to compare.

msmarjoribanks
02-06-2018, 07:32 PM

Right -- I uploaded my own Ancestry several months ago, and my parents' FTDNA in October, and no Nigerian on any of those.

I did my own FTDNA whenever I mentioned it in this thread (last week or the week before) and got Nigerian. Just redid it, it took longer than usual, and was exactly the same.

Isidro
02-07-2018, 01:31 AM
Today, I deleted my old Ancestry DNA results posted above and uploaded Family Finder and 23andMe, I got my results a couple of hours ago:

timberwolf
02-07-2018, 01:46 AM
Today, I deleted my old Ancestry DNA results posted above and uploaded Family Finder and 23andMe, I got my results a couple of hours ago:

Better?

JerryS.
02-07-2018, 02:14 AM
I just deleted mine (again) and re-re-uploaded it. just to see.....

Isidro
02-07-2018, 03:19 AM
Pretty much the same results on all 3 companies before and after.

Better?

wilhelmhalys
02-07-2018, 06:31 AM

My Nigerian thing!

Robert1
02-07-2018, 03:15 PM
I deleted 4 data files then re-uploaded. There were small changes but the 1-1.4% erroneous Nigerian remained. I think it's actually Iberian or Italian. Or who knows.

JerryS.
02-07-2018, 03:42 PM
my third rebooted upload shows Nigerian again. I give up on them.

FionnSneachta
02-07-2018, 07:11 PM
my third rebooted upload shows Nigerian again. I give up on them.

My Nigerian hasn't returned for my parents, yet anyway.

JerryS.
02-07-2018, 09:40 PM
My Nigerian hasn't returned for my parents, yet anyway.

since you're 100% UK it probably won't because there isn't an enigma minor ethnicity that it has to try to figure out.

LarryMc
02-13-2018, 08:45 PM
You hate to think political correctness could seep into this venue, but...!!!!!????

kingjohn
02-13-2018, 08:52 PM

My Nigerian thing!

6% aschenazi :\
my heritage is generous with this componnet it gave 8% to hanibal an alawite
and now you
against all logic .....

LarryMc
02-13-2018, 09:16 PM

Lol.. I got the 1% Nigerian BS and I paid for it!!

Trixster
02-25-2018, 08:19 AM
I got the 1% Nigerian BS and I paid for it!!

I hope people are messaging them. A random amount of noise is understandable but this is a pattern.

I would definitely contact them if you haven't already.

wilhelmhalys
04-30-2018, 06:02 PM
6% aschenazi :\
my heritage is generous with this componnet it gave 8% to hanibal an alawite
and now you
against all logic .....

I read your post quite late :P... yeah, my father is from Poland and he got mtdna k2a2a (aj founder mtdna), hundreds and hundreds aj dna cousins... so funny to deal with that bloat amount of "cousins"... and in his maternal gparent town 90% of their inhabitants were aj til early 1900. Any calculator in which we test returns same amount of aj.. anyway, % itself are not a solid proof, you need dna matches, haplogroups and family tree to proof it.. :). So, this time is for real. 23andme 4%, ftdna 5%, MH 6%, Gencove, dna.land.. jtest full column AJ..

PoxVoldius
05-24-2018, 01:44 AM

Lol..

My dad & I actually did have a trace amount of SSA showing in the low confidence regions on our Ancestry DNA results, but what My Heritage returned on the transfers seems to have taken any & all low confidence percentages that could have any African connection at all, and lumped them together as either Nigerian or North African. Except for Mom's 4% Europe South which they decided was Greek & Italian. Though, based on known family history & Ancestry's region maps, I suspect it's more likely to be southern France & Switzerland.

My Ancestry DNA results:

45% Great Britain
27% Europe East
11% Ireland/Scotland/Wales
6% Scandinavia
---
3% Europe South
3% Europe West
<1% Asia East
<1% Caucasus
<1% European Jewish
<1% Iberian Peninsula
<1% Ivory Coast/Ghana

My transfer to My Heritage:

55.3% North & West European
12.8% Scandinavian

30.2% East European

1.7% Nigerian

My Dad's Ancestry DNA results:

40% Europe West
33% Europe East
7% Ireland/Scotland/Wales
6% Finland/Northwest Russia
5% Great Britain
---
3% Scandinavia
3% Europe South
2% Mali
1% Iberian Peninsula

My Dad's My Heritage transfer:

37.9% English
8.3% North & West European
7.9% Scandinavian

33.4% East European
7.4% Baltic

2.7% North African
2.4% Nigerian

Mom's Ancestry DNA results:

29% Scandinavia
28% Great Britain
21% Ireland/Scotland/Wales
14% Europe East
---
4% Europe South
1% Iberian Peninsula
<1% Europe West
<1% Melanesia
<1% Middle East

Mom's My Heritage transfer:

35.6% North & West European
19.8% Scandinavian
17.1% Irish, Scottish, Welsh
1.6% Finnish

18.2% East European

4.3% Greek
2.1% Italian

1.3% Nigerian

dinoprada
08-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Yay another Nigerian here

Nothing from SSA or NA in my familyís paper trail or any other dna company like ancestry and ftdna but myheritage shows me at a whopping 7% NA and 1.2% Nigerian lulz

Baltimore1937
08-07-2018, 03:00 AM
Not long ago, I was browsing in the My Heritage DNA section, looking at a few ethnic groupings for various geographical locations. And I looked at Maryland, USA. It showed 20+% Nigerian, and no other version of sub-Saharan Africans. So it's obvious that My Heritage uses "Nigerian" as all inclusive for SSA. I think that company is based in Israel, with a California regional base. I mean, Israelis may have done the assigning of ethnic groups and are not very familiar with the complexity of Afro-American ancestries. But that is just my current speculation.