PDA

View Full Version : Eupedia autosomal maps

alan
09-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Out of all the autosomal clusters I think the Eupedia ones are easiest to make sense of in relation to archaeology

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/autosomal_maps_dodecad.shtml

Does anyone have an opinion on these?

My guess is the core bulk of the north-west European component is the remanant of the Mesolithic of western, central and northern Europe - the eastern European hunters may have been different. This componenet probably originated in the western regugia and expanded with the Magellanian and related hunters. Probably originally associated with some brand of I yDNA. Some of it moved about later the Germanics but that seems to me to have just been minor shuffling and it was clearly a major component much earlier - more than half the DNA across all of northern Europe.

There is a Med. component too which surely has to be considered Neolithic in origin. It is around a quarter in the isles. It has both a south-north and west-east cline. Again some of it probably also relates to east-west movements along the Med. in much later historically recorded times. This component probably originated in the Anatolia/Levant area but has been reduced there by the expansion of west Asian etc in later times. Probably originally associated with haplogroup G predominantly.

The Gedrosian one is interesting in that it in that it does have some resemblance to R1b. Like R1b it looks split into two by being reduced, probably by later Slavic expansion in the areas in between in eastern Europe. However, I have little doubt that this component was once more of a consistant cline, still represented to some degree although reduced. The contribution of about 10-15% in the isles is in line with the sort of expectations I would have for a copper age intrusion into an already well populated area. My feeling is that component goes all the way back to the R* phase and was associated with R1* in Iran. It probably expanded with R1b and R1a.

The east European component looks like it originated the eastern European hunters which, as in western Europe, survived better to the north of its original distribution due to the the retardation of farming in the area. Its still very significant around the western steppes but diluted no doubt by Neolithic and Slavic expansion (which probably also had a high amount of this but diluted by other elements) at later times.