PDA

View Full Version : MyHeritage, Nigerian???

JerryS.
01-30-2018, 04:04 PM
MyHeritage results. not what i was expecting and different than FTDNA and Ancestry

Europe

93.4%

ēNorth and West Europe

93.4%

English

71.6%

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh

21.8%

Africa

6.6%

ēNorth Africa

5.3%

North African

5.3%

ēWest Africa

1.3%

Nigerian

1.3%

Jerry XXXXXXX

100.0%

Using the various models here on GEDmatch, even the African specific versions I've never gotten W. African. I've gotten E. African and N. African. Just as with Ancestry dot com gives me less than 1% Iberian, Eurogenes K36 gives me 16% Iberian, and FTDNA never gave me any African on either version of their Origins models. So now......... I'm going to try to look back six generations to find my Nigerian ancestor.... at least according to MyHeritage (that's tongue in cheek).

Ignis90
01-30-2018, 04:36 PM
Results given by various companies are fun and are just there for the newbies. If you already know how to use gedmatch, I don't understand why you would still rely on them.

JerryS.
01-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Results given by various companies are fun and are just there for the newbies. If you already know how to use gedmatch, I don't understand why you would still rely on them.

I don't rely on them. I was just pointing out the flaw as I perceive it.

Ignis90
01-30-2018, 09:27 PM
I don't rely on them. I was just pointing out the flaw as I perceive it.

Great. And yes, they are all flawed so no need search for a Nigerian connection if it's absent everywhere else! haha

Don't know Myheritage very well but that high North African looks bogus, unless you have known ancestry from there or -more likely- Southern European ancestry since they are sometimes interchangeable.

JerryS.
01-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Great. And yes, they are all flawed so no need search for a Nigerian connection if it's absent everywhere else! haha

Don't know Myheritage very well but that high North African looks bogus, unless you have known ancestry from there or -more likely- Southern European ancestry since they are sometimes interchangeable.

yes, I mentioned the Nigerian ancestor and stated "tongue in cheek". my apologies I didn't know English was a second language for you. and yes, I have southern European ancestry.

Brains18
02-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Yes, I'm full Bengali and I got 1% Nigerian when I tested with my heritage. Really weird

Asia
97.9%
South Asia
88.0%
South Asian
88.0%
East Asia
9.9%
Filipino, Indonesian, and Malaysian
6.1%
Chinese and Vietnamese
3.8%
America
1.1%
Native American
1.1%
Native American
1.1%
Africa
1.0%
West Africa
1.0%
Nigerian
1.0%

fostert
02-04-2018, 11:13 PM
yes, I mentioned the Nigerian ancestor and stated "tongue in cheek". my apologies I didn't know English was a second language for you. and yes, I have southern European ancestry.
I uploaded my wife's AncestryV1 data to MH a few weeks ago and she also gets 4% African (2.7% North African, 1.2% Nigerian). There is no trace of African in any other DNA test I have subjected her to, and we had a friend flluent in dutch trace her family tree back in Holland to the 1500s and William of Orange.

My advice - do not pay any attention to components less than 5-6% or so. The reference panels of all of these admixture calculators, no matter who wrote them, are woefully incomplete.

r.h.ryan
07-07-2018, 07:11 AM
My advice - do not pay any attention to components less than 5-6% or so. The reference panels of all of these admixture calculators, no matter who wrote them, are woefully incomplete.

My Siberian friend got 1.1% of Nigerian which I can't even imagine where comes from. But also he got 2.3% of Eskimo/Inuit and this looks totally fine and real since he is Siberian. So, not everything less than 5-6% is irrelevant, I guess.

Dnaexplorer321
07-22-2018, 04:04 PM
I got Nigerian too, but it makes more sense for me being from Mexico and its history with the Atlantic slave trade. I've also seen a lot of people from the Middle East and Southern Europe get Nigerian too for some reason. I think there is a Middle East element mistakingly being categorized as Nigerian. I think this is also true for me because I also have North African, Middle East, and Europe South ancestry. So I think my Nigerian result on MyHeritage reflects both theories (from a West African ancestor from the Atlantic slave trade and from a MENA ancestor). I did get <1% Nigeria on AncestryDNA. I took the actual test with AncestryDNA and uploaded the raw data file from there to MyHeritage.

i.imgur.com/KT3qZGm
i.imgur.com/Bb7eKKO

Help? anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?14843-Is-DNA-Land-accurate-with-West-African-ancestry

msmarjoribanks
07-22-2018, 08:08 PM
It may well be accurate for some people, but it seems to be much more widespread (or it used to be) for MyHeritage.

My parents and I transferred tests over a year ago and none of us got Nigerian. Then after all the reports about it I transferred a test in December or January as a test, and presto Nigerian (1.3%). At the time lots of Western Europeans with no reason to think they might have unknown Nigerian were getting it too (there are reports from project admins in one of the threads on here about it). In my particular case (not everyone's) it does seem to have replaced trace West Asian/Caucasian with Nigerian, but really they shouldn't be interchangeable, so that doesn't make it any less weird.

Baltimore1937
07-24-2018, 09:47 PM
Nigerian could conceivably be linked to the Muslim invasion of Spain and into France. If you also have North African in your ancestry, then that could be the answer. Of course I am just speculating.

dinoprada
08-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Iíve just got 1.2% Nigerian lol

None of my other tests ancestry or family tree give me the least African component nor do I know of any African ancestry

Whatís even worse is I got North African at 7-8% none of my family come from that region and Iíve traced them back to at least my gg grandparents on most lines my English to the 1600s

How bad is this test if people didnít know better it could really mislead people in just glad I didnít pay for it (ancestry upload)

Iíve been doing some googling and it seems this site gives 100 % Northern Europeans and Europeans trace Nigerian dna