PDA

View Full Version : What's the Hold Up at FTDNA with processing Big Y results?

Jessie
02-06-2018, 03:17 AM
My brother is S588 under M222 and I ordered the Big Y back on the 6 August. Just logged in to FTDNA now and they have once again postponed when the results will be done. This time it is 02/19/2018 - 03/05/2018. I'm wondering if I will ever get these results.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Jean-Pierre
02-06-2018, 06:47 AM
The same is happening at FGC with their Elite 2.1 test. I wonder if both companies are facing similar (big) problems.

Cofgene
02-06-2018, 11:54 AM
- Return of the sample in a timely manner establishes which batch it may be assigned to
- Batches provide approximate due dates
- An individual's real due date is influenced by
+ whether there is enough remaining stored sample to run the test
+ if not get a new DNA sample (shipment to/from client resets time line)
+ does the prepped sample pass initial quality control?
+ if not reprocess with new aliquot from existing sample or request new sample (reset time line)
+ did the sequencing run provide sufficient results to meet sequencing quality criteria?
+ if not prep/run additional sample or request new sample (reset time line)
+ oh, darn the tester has passed and no more sample can be acquired. Now what???? The data needs to be remapped so will FTDNA just do LIFTOVER of the existing results?
+ oh, darn the tester has NOT kept their contact information up to date and we need a new sample. Now what??? The data needs to be remapped so will FTDNA just do LIFTOVER of the existing results?

In order for FTDNA to provide the next level of analysis of the test - specifically the additional STR markers - in a consistent and reliable manner the test results will need to be more consistent across all testers. They are now working through the problem samples. That takes additional time....

sgdavies@hotmail.com
02-06-2018, 12:11 PM
My brother is S588 under M222 and I ordered the Big Y back on the 6 August. Just logged in to FTDNA now and they have once again postponed when the results will be done. This time it is 02/19/2018 - 03/05/2018. I'm wondering if I will ever get these results.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Hi Jessie,

I ordered mine during the summer sale 2017. mine were delayed about 3 times, I eventually got them just before Christmas 2017. so took some time. I think they have some technical problems at the moment, with conversion to Hg 38. which is adding to that processing and delivery times, also when requesting BAM file, that also is going to take some time (many months).
Think you going to have to grin and bear it. :\ im afraid/.

Robert1
02-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Jessie, I'm sorry your brother's results are taking so long and hope that they will finally come in during this new projected period. Before last summer Big Y results came quickly, I already had a sample in storage and got my results within 30 days during last years DNA Day sale. Since then there've been many problems with the with conversion to Hg 38, etc. It seems FTDNA have pushed out the results they can and now are working on the samples that have problems as Cofgene and SGDavies said. If a new sample is required, you'd hope they would have already asked for it so let's hope that's not an issue.

Good luck!

RobertCasey
02-06-2018, 06:30 PM
We had around 20 Big Y orders during the August sale and another ten during the Christmas sale under R-L226. We still have two late August testers who have not been processed to date and just received two more results for December sales. So, it appears that around five or ten percent of the new orders from August are still not completed.

We have to remember that the conversion to hg38 was a major issue that all vendors are struggling with (Full Genomes, YSEQ, YFULL and FTDNA). However, hg38 is calling a lot of singleton calls (where only one or two people from 100 Big Y testers are getting calls. For L226, we now have over 100 of these new private YSNPs to potentially investigate.

Another issue - late August was Hurricane Harvey in full fury. This hurricane dumped more rain in one week than has ever been recorded in the US (50 to 60 inches into a very flat area). It also now has become the largest amount damage for any hurricane in the US - surpassing hurricane Katrina. The FTDNA lab is high up in a commercial building but the bottom floor was flooded. The US Post Office made no deliveries for around one week as no mail could get into most of Houston. All the Interstate highways close to downtown are used for flood control and were under ten to forty feet of water for around one week. FTDNA is a small company with only one lab -they are not like other larger companies that have multiple lab facilities for backup purposes. They did have a dedicated backup generator that preserved the DNA samples.