PDA

View Full Version : Jung in North America Academia

loppipolly
02-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Hello, I'm a new member!

I'd like to know if Jung is still being taught in Canada and the U.S.A., inside the psychology departments of the Universities.

Obviously his contribution is even of a cultural and historical scope, but do his ideas keep being in the courses of the psychology departments?

Thanks for any further contributions you'll feel like sharing, all the best~

Kale
02-08-2018, 12:11 AM
I can't say I've taken top of the line psychology courses, but among those I've taken, Jung only gets a passing mention.

mainer
06-10-2019, 10:38 AM
I realize this is an old post, but I thought I'd share my thoughts here nonetheless.

It depends on whether it's the undergrad or the postgrad level. At the undergrad level, if you're taught Jung, it will mostly be introductory but critical nonetheless. Jung is not only taught in Psychology courses. Most humanities disciplines/courses are receptive of Jung's works. Literary criticism, other critical approaches to literature, and the question of text versus context are especially receptive. Barthes, Derrida, Spivak, Freud, and Jung are quite staple. But this holds only for intensive courses. If a Management student opts for Psychology 101, Jung can only be a passing mention.
At the postgrad level, you are free to pick any text. It depends on how well you can blend that text into your work. So you may not have professors teaching you Jung. Instead you may find yourself reading his works with little help. This won't be hard, however. If you take Jung up on your own and unprompted, it means you can handle him. If you want an idea of what typical college-level texts are like, take a look at this Psychology (https://www.bartleby.com/subject/social-science/psychology) page.

Btw, may I ask: did you find a suitable course? :)