PDA

View Full Version : besides ancestry what does dna land give you

SlytherclawRavenpuff
02-11-2018, 07:25 PM
im want to use dna land because i see they have more breakdowns in populations than 23 and me but i worried what other information ill get. I dont want any health results at all. with my tendency to get anxious i do not want to know any of that i will start freaking out over what could be minor things.

i saw on dnaland website they give traits. What type of traits? can someone who has already done dnaland tell me what information they got

thank you in advance

kingjohn
02-11-2018, 08:09 PM
im want to use dna land because i see they have more breakdowns in populations than 23 and me but i worried what other information ill get. I dont want any health results at all. with my tendency to get anxious i do not want to know any of that i will start freaking out over what could be minor things.

i saw on dnaland website they give traits. What type of traits? can someone who has already done dnaland tell me what information they got

thank you in advance

this what you will get ancestery
i don't care about disease and traits so i focus on the dna
this is how my report look ;
as and example

kingjohn
02-11-2018, 08:31 PM
and by the way you can always erase your account
with them :)

SlytherclawRavenpuff
02-11-2018, 09:34 PM
on the reports page do you have to click a link to see the traits or do they just show it

kingjohn
02-11-2018, 09:55 PM
on the reports page do you have to click a link to see the traits or do they just show it

you have to press on the view button

Name Status
Ancestry Report view
Find Relatives view
Find Relatives of Relatives view
Trait Prediction Report view you have to press on the view button to see your trait if i am not wrong

fostert
02-11-2018, 10:50 PM

thank you in advance

DNA.land gives you 3 things: ethnicity estimate, DNA matches and relatives, and some wellness and physical traits. These include Circadian Rhythm, Caffeine metabolism, Educational Attainment, Intelligence, Neuroticism, eye colour, height, and near-sightedness.

In my opinion: the ethnicity estimates are OK, but you'll get the same on geneplaza.com and gencove.com - all are the same calculator written by Joe Pickrell on DNA.land. the guys at geneplaza said that Joe's calculator there uses an updated reference panel, so ethnicity estimation is not a driving reason to join DNA.land except for sheer interest.

The relative finder is useless. The database is exceedingly small and you'll likely get one one or two distant relatives there. I've had the same two matches at DNA.land for nearly 2 years now that I've been a member, and both are distant cousins.

The physical and wellness traits are interesting, but are like candy - sweet and satisfying initially, but you'll forget about them soon afterwards. E.g. really I don't care that I metabolize caffeine faster than others and am likely addicted to coffee - I knew that already!

The only reason to participate IMO is to help them with your DNA in their search for breast cancer causes and cures. Thats why I am on there really. If thats not your thing then I'd just upload to gencove instead. Better (but questionable on these forums?) ethnicity estimates.