PDA

View Full Version : Map changes between Standard and Cautious

TopLobster
02-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Why do the group boundaries on the map change to exclude some sub-regions that seem to be contributing to the group's total number. For instance, in standard mode I have 16.9 NW Scotland, 6.6 Aberdeenshire, 2.3 Ireland. In cautious mode, the NW Scotland Related group doesn't include Aberdeenshire on the map but the percentage from Aberdeenshire is included in the total for the group (16.9 + 6.6 + 2.3 = 25.8). A similar thing happens with Central England, which gets put into South East Related (17.9 + 17.5 + 7.7 + 5.1 = 48.2), and Devon, which gets put into Cornwall related (3.6 + 1.5 = 5.1) but doesn't show highlighted on the map.

I don't yet have permissions to post images or links on this forum.

I contacted LivingDNA helpdesk but they just copy-pasted info from the FAQ which doesn't properly answer the questions.

Regarding the Cautious view: In this view, we have grouped the most genetically similar populations together. By being cautious and conservative about your assignments, we are most certain about these assignments of your ancestry breakdown. If you click on a region, and scroll down to its description, you will find some explanatory text. For example:

Southeast England-related ancestry
This is a confidence group* for Southeast England ancestry with small spread**. It includes Southeast England and South England populations. As it is the smallest possible grouping for Southeast England and surrounding ancestry, it is very likely that your true ancestry falls inside one or both of these two populations.

*Confidence groups are chosen so that we are confident that you have ancestry from at least one of the populations highlighted.
**Spread refers to the number of populations within the confidence group. A confidence group can be made up of 2 (small), 3 (medium), or 4 (large) similar populations.

This descriptive first paragraph will vary per confidence group and may vary per set of results; this means that your description of Southeast England-related ancestry (if you have it) may not be the same as another person's description of their Southeast England-related ancestry (if they have it).

jshook
02-15-2018, 05:54 PM
I haven't quite figured this out either. For mine, it shows South England as being part of both the Cornwall-related and South Central England-related maps, but it assigns it to South Central England (which makes sense to me.) Weirdly though, my "North Yorkshire-related ancestry" description says "it includes North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Cumbria and Northumbria populations" and shows that way on the map, but LDNA actually doesn't include Cumbria in that group calculation, instead leaving the 4.8% result as its own separate cautious group. Not exactly sure why.21499

greerpalmer
02-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Yes, and how they determine the labels for the cautious groups are also a mystery. My 19.1% Northumbria combines with my 1.3% North Yorkshire to make 27.5% North Yorkshire related. I've seen others' have Northumbria-related as their label and the geographies it pulled from made much more sense with my results. I don't necessarily have any paper trail going back to Northumbria so I assume it is my Fife ancestry being pulled in, which seems like quite the geographic stretch to be "North Yorkshire"

Molfish
03-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Apparently NW England & East Anglia are more closely related to each other than they are to Central England. Who knew?

It's simply an error. The East Anglia related ancestry is SE England, not NW England. NW England should be included with the Central England related category, but for some reason that stretches down South where I have no ancestry.