PDA

View Full Version : Mauritian Slaves

JFWinstone
02-15-2018, 10:20 PM
I was filmed today for a tv show and they found that 3 of my Mauritian slave ancestors were from Madagascar, Mozambique and India. I didnít realise there were Indian slaves there too. They are sending their research to me so Iím hoping I can carry on from where they got to. They said my mumís dna is consistent with someone who would have Malagasy slave Ancestry. Iím curious about the branches they werenít able to do now 🤓 🇲🇬🇮🇳🇲🇿

Angoliga
02-16-2018, 02:05 AM
Interesting, I was under the guise that there were never any Indian slaves in Africa or the West-Indies -- indentured servants were the more common terms I recall. That was at least the case in Uganda, the rest of East-Africa and Guayana/Trinidad if I'm not mistaken -- perhaps someone more informed on British colonial history could confirm that.

I have a distant GEDmatch of half Mauritian/direct Irish ancestry; I think I mentioned this to you a while back. I figured it had to do with the East-African slave trade but the segments too small to confirm if it's IBD.

Did the TV show disclose if they used a particular commercial DNA company to trace your ancestry?

JFWinstone
02-16-2018, 01:07 PM
I was also under that impression but they showed me the records and there were slaves from East Asia, South Asia, South East Asia, Oceania also there. The researcher who did mine was from Ancestry.

ffoucart
02-16-2018, 06:05 PM
Maurice was a former French colony, as a large part of India, till the mid-XVIIIth century. I have read that Indian slaves were present in the French colonies in Indian Ocean. The French writer FranÁoise Chandernagor is a descendant of such a slave, brought in France by his owner (and freed as a consequence).

JFWinstone
02-16-2018, 07:38 PM
That's very interesting :) Clearly need to look into it a lot more.