PDA

View Full Version : MyHeritage DNA Results: Maternal Line, Three Generations

MischievousRaven
02-17-2018, 06:02 AM
Hi all, I thought I'd take a moment to post up my results, my mother's results, and my maternal grandmother's results! We just got my grandmother's results back-- she loved this process and is so intrigued my the whole experience. She is 90 years old, and has always claimed her heritage to be German, which is substantiated by her ancestry's paper trail-- all of her ancestors I have been able to locate, up into the 1700s (6x great grandparents, to me), have been born/resided/associated with Saxony/Lower Saxony/Hannover Germany prior to immigrating to the USA.

My mother's trail is mostly German-- northern German from my maternal grandmother, and broadly German and a single known Swiss ancestor from her father's side.

My heritage is a mixture of my mother's known German and Swiss, and my father's German, Dutch, with distant traces of Welsh, English and Irish and Colonial American through his side.

My maternal grandmother's results are upper left
My mother's results are upper right
Mine are below

My grandmother went directly through the Myheritage site; my mother and I uploaded our raw DNA originally from AncestryDNA to MyHeritage-- not sure if that makes a difference. :)

I am under the impression that specific heritage is hard to detect for those of northwestern European descent like myself? (distinguishing German from Dutch, etc.) Or, for example, my grandmother's 20% Irish/Scottish/Welsh result, despite not having any known ancestors from those places?

kingjohn
02-17-2018, 12:08 PM
your maternal grandmother {north german as you say }
score 28% huge east european are you sure all her linage is from north germany and not part eastern german ?
best regards
adam

p.s
thanks for sharing
but your grandmother score northwest european 49% and i asked my heritage in the phone this the elments of gauls and germans
so that inline with her ancestery .....
i think it is always better to test with the company than to just upload raw data ...... :)

fostert
02-19-2018, 10:26 PM
i think it is always better to test with the company than to just upload raw data ...... :)

Agreed; presumably companies use different subsets of SNPs for their custom chips, so testing with multiple companies increases coverage of ones entire genome, albeit probably by a small amount - nevertheless, if you have (for eg.) a Native American DNA ancestor deep in your history who you inherited one segment from, testing with multiple companies increases the chance of coverage of that segment.