PDA

View Full Version : Is it rude to ask for the origins/ethnic of the Gedmatch Kit numbers you have?

Tsakhur
02-19-2018, 11:57 PM
As in if you are not their genetic matches genetically but you got their kit numbers from another user. Is it rude to ask someone who is not your matches their origins if you are curious? Has anyone ever tried this?

jortita
02-20-2018, 01:48 AM
As in if you are not their genetic matches genetically but you got their kit numbers from another user. Is it rude to ask someone who is not your matches their origins if you are curious? Has anyone ever tried this?

Tsakhur, thats a very good question and I have also been meaning to ask. By the way, I found another person of Assamese origin on gedmatch, he is a US citizen. When I ran his data, he turned out to be less East Asian including Southeast Asian than me but looks quite Thai. I could share his kit and details separately if you would like.

therrien.joel
02-20-2018, 03:00 AM
That's at least safer than asking if they are a specific nationality. I could probably rattle off a half dozen cases where getting it wrong would be hugely insulting.

I actually did that a week ago when I was looking around at some of my own matches. I was going on a harebrained idea checking a few to see if they were Romani. That particular idea was wrong, but at least those who replied were polite about it.

Tsakhur
02-20-2018, 03:45 AM
Tsakhur, thats a very good question and I have also been meaning to ask. By the way, I found another person of Assamese origin on gedmatch, he is a US citizen. When I ran his data, he turned out to be less East Asian including Southeast Asian than me but looks quite Thai. I could share his kit and details separately if you would like.

Yes this is because I found a lot of gedmatch kit numbers who might not be related to me but I want to found out their ethnicity or country if their results turn out very interesting. Oh wow so he looks pretty Thai , even though he have even less East Asian? Yes I would appreciate it if you can share his kit and details. Also I found more SE Asian gedmatch kits with a lot of Western Eurasian admixture and they seem to be mostly from Malaysia, Indonesia or Brunei if I have to guess. If you want their kits I can also share it with you as well.

Tsakhur
02-20-2018, 03:47 AM
That's at least safer than asking if they are a specific nationality. I could probably rattle off a half dozen cases where getting it wrong would be hugely insulting.

I actually did that a week ago when I was looking around at some of my own matches. I was going on a harebrained idea checking a few to see if they were Romani. That particular idea was wrong, but at least those who replied were polite about it.

Oh really many of them can be offended by such questions? Can you give some examples of those that feel insulted by it?

Hmm how do you ask them that they will answer kindly and politely back?

jortita
02-20-2018, 04:21 AM
Yes this is because I found a lot of gedmatch kit numbers who might not be related to me but I want to found out their ethnicity or country if their results turn out very interesting. Oh wow so he looks pretty Thai , even though he have even less East Asian? Yes I would appreciate it if you can share his kit and details. Also I found more SE Asian gedmatch kits with a lot of Western Eurasian admixture and they seem to be mostly from Malaysia, Indonesia or Brunei if I have to guess. If you want their kits I can also share it with you as well.

Thanks Tsakhur, I would really appreciate if you could please share the other SE Asian kits by PM. I will send you the kit of the person I mentioned on gedmatch genesis. In fact, my top matches for my Living DNA data on Gedmatch Genesis, 7/10 are East Asian with top 6 being East Asian.

Tsakhur
02-20-2018, 06:52 AM
Thanks Tsakhur, I would really appreciate if you could please share the other SE Asian kits by PM. I will send you the kit of the person I mentioned on gedmatch genesis. In fact, my top matches for my Living DNA data on Gedmatch Genesis, 7/10 are East Asian with top 6 being East Asian.

Yes I can do that. Do you want me to post the results also in PM? Thank you for the kit you are sending to me.

jortita
02-20-2018, 07:43 AM
Yes I can do that. Do you want me to post the results also in PM? Thank you for the kit you are sending to me.

Yes please, I forgot to ask whether you are based in Bangkok as I am? thank you

Tsakhur
02-20-2018, 07:52 AM
Yes please, I forgot to ask whether you are based in Bangkok as I am? thank you

No I am currently studying in the US. You welcome.

therrien.joel
02-20-2018, 10:34 PM
Oh really many of them can be offended by such questions? Can you give some examples of those that feel insulted by it?

Hmm how do you ask them that they will answer kindly and politely back?

I can give two examples:

Never ask a Korean if they are Japanese. The reverse may be true too, but you'll get a much stronger reaction from the Korean. And a number of people from eastern Europe don't see Gypsies in a good light, so suggesting they have such ancestry will probably result in no reply whatsoever.

But seeing what you are asking about specifically, I can't suggest any obvious insult in asking about that region of the world... but that only means that I can't! :)

Capitalis
02-21-2018, 07:22 PM

I think it's okay to ask but that's because I've put a description of my ancestry in brackets after my name on GEDmatch so anyone who matches me can see my ethnicity.