PDA

View Full Version : Geno 2.0 and Insitome Ancestry

nathanxmeyer
02-28-2018, 05:35 AM
Thought this might be of interest. I had the Helix test done as part of the Geno 2.0. I then purchased the Insitome Ancestry test. Below are the two results, which, unless I am just dense, seem radically different. If I could post the pictures you would see that the geographies listed just don't seem to add up. Is there anyway to think about this other than that both are likely just crummy based on the Helix data? Thanks, n

Geno 2.0

Southwestern European 42%
Northwestern European 27%
Eastern European 23%
Northeastern European 7%

Insitome

Western European 69%
Northern Mediterranean 16%
Finnish 8%
Sardinian 4%
Basque 3%

wombatofthenorth
02-28-2018, 07:14 AM
Thought this might be of interest. I had the Helix test done as part of the Geno 2.0. I then purchased the Insitome Ancestry test. Below are the two results, which, unless I am just dense, seem radically different. If I could post the pictures you would see that the geographies listed just don't seem to add up. Is there anyway to think about this other than that both are likely just crummy based on the Helix data? Thanks, n

Geno 2.0

Eastern European 23%
Northeastern European 7%

Insitome

Western European 69%
Finnish 8%
Sardinian 4%
Basque 3%

16+4+3 = 23 of the 42

19 of the 42 + 27=46 of the 69

46+ 23 = 69

7=8

mwauthy
02-28-2018, 01:14 PM

Geno 2.0

Eastern European 23%
Northeastern European 7%

Insitome

Western European 69%
Finnish 8%
Sardinian 4%
Basque 3%

Your Northwestern 27 + Southwestern 42 = Western 69 perfectly.

Your Northeastern 7 is very close to Finnish 8. So 76% of your results are practically identical on both tests.

For the remaining 23-24% all I can say is that I have a friend who on some tests his Eastern European gets assigned to Eastern Med or Balkans, and his Northern Italian sometimes gets assigned to Iberia.

nathanxmeyer
02-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Hi, thanks for the responses.

Yes, the numbers look deceptively similar but between the two sites the only geographic overlap is the Finnish=Northeastern which is exactly overlapping. Western European on Insitome is British Isles and Atlantic seaboard of France, Netherlands, Denmark which is almost the same as Geno 2.0 Northwestern Europe, the latter including Norway and Sweden.

Geno 2.0 Southwestern is Iberia and the Pyrenees region of France, which would overlap best with Insitome's Northern Med which includes Catalonia in Spain. Geno 2.0 Eastern Europe includes Greece and at 23% would consume all the Insitome's Northern Med and some, still leaving me with 42% in Iberia.

So, there is really no good way to rearrange the numbers. And, as Helix data appears not to work with any independent sites, there is no way to bring in a third analysis at this time.

mwauthy
02-28-2018, 04:06 PM
Hi, thanks for the responses.

Yes, the numbers look deceptively similar but between the two sites the only geographic overlap is the Finnish=Northeastern which is exactly overlapping. Western European on Insitome is British Isles and Atlantic seaboard of France, Netherlands, Denmark which is almost the same as Geno 2.0 Northwestern Europe, the latter including Norway and Sweden.

Geno 2.0 Southwestern is Iberia and the Pyrenees region of France, which would overlap best with Insitome's Northern Med which includes Catalonia in Spain. Geno 2.0 Eastern Europe includes Greece and at 23% would consume all the Insitome's Northern Med and some, still leaving me with 42% in Iberia.

So, there is really no good way to rearrange the numbers. And, as Helix data appears not to work with any independent sites, there is no way to bring in a third analysis at this time.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into the maps they create for each region. It’s the snps they are assigning to each region that matters. I’m French Canadian and Belgian and I get the same amount of “Iberian Peninsula” on Ancestry as I get “Southwestern” on Gengove. Difference being that on Gencove the map for Southwestern shades almost up to the Loire River. Regardless of the maps they are looking at the same snps which primarily come from my French Canadian ancestors from La Rochelle in central/west France along the Bay of Biscay.

On FTDNA 2.0 my Northwestern scores and Southwestern scores are combined similar to Insitome. So some companies like to call all of France Western Europe and other companies like to differentiate between northwest France and southwest France.

dillardo torres
03-03-2018, 04:58 PM
My Geno 2.0 Helix results:
Northwestern European 43%
Southwestern European 38%
Northeastern European 12%
Eastern European 5.3%

My Insitome results

Western European 73%
Eastern European 10%
Finnish 8%
Sardinian 6%
North Mediterranean 3%

mwauthy
03-03-2018, 07:58 PM
My Geno 2.0 Helix results:
Northwestern European 43%
Southwestern European 38%
Northeastern European 12%
Eastern European 5.3%

My Insitome results

Western European 73%
Eastern European 10%
Finnish 8%
Sardinian 6%
North Mediterranean 3%

Pretty close scores. Insitome just separated Sardinia and Northern Med from Helix Southwestern. If you add up scores you have 81% Western Europe on Helix and 82% Western Europe/North And West Med on Insitome.

On Helix you have 17.3% North and East European and on Insitome 18% North and East Europe. Your scores are practically identical. You just have small nuance differences with region names.

dillardo torres
03-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Yeah, there just seems to be a difference in how they're grouped(the geographic regions/populations). I talked to Razib at insitome, and he basically said that the Geno 2.0 Northwestern European reference populations are more constrained (in terms of number of references and geography) than insitome. It should be noted that he help with designing both Geno 2.0 and insitome. Razib also said that they'll be tweaking the reference populations later in the next couple of months. So expect the results to change a little.

mwauthy
03-03-2018, 09:38 PM
Yeah, there just seems to be a difference in how they're grouped(the geographic regions/populations). I talked to Razib at insitome, and he basically said that the Geno 2.0 Northwestern European reference populations are more constrained (in terms of number of references and geography) than insitome. It should be noted that he help with designing both Geno 2.0 and insitome. Razib also said that they'll be tweaking the reference populations later in the next couple of months. So expect the results to change a little.

What is your paper trail? Your scores aren’t too far off from what I would score?

dillardo torres
03-04-2018, 01:49 AM
Paper trail? Sorry, I'm confused. Paper trail in what context?

mwauthy
03-04-2018, 03:38 AM
Paper trail? Sorry, I'm confused. Paper trail in what context?

I was just curious about your ethnicity. Are both your parents from the same place?

dillardo torres
03-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Well, they are both European Americans whose ancestors have been there for hundreds of years.