PDA

View Full Version : GenCove: any thoughts on your results?

leo76
03-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Recent start-up DNA testing company GenCove is offering kits for $59.99, or free uploads if you have an existing autosomal file from other companies. They claim that their methodology (ultralow-resolution whole genome sequencing) is more accurate than traditional SNP array tests. Their CEO has a lot of info on his blog (https://medium.com/the-seeq-blog).

I uploaded my FTDNA file and it was generally accurate. Or apparently at least as accurate as other tests. Still a grossly inflated Scandinavian signal (probably should have been subsumed into Great Britain), and a few regions are too hyper-specific (eg, Northern Britain, Northern Italy). Just MHO.

Has anyone tested with them or done the free upload? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

kingjohn
03-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Recent start-up DNA testing company GenCove is offering kits for $59.99, or free uploads if you have an existing autosomal file from other companies. They claim that their methodology (ultralow-resolution whole genome sequencing) is more accurate than traditional SNP array tests. Their CEO has a lot of info on his blog (https://medium.com/the-seeq-blog).

I uploaded my FTDNA file and it was generally accurate. Or apparently at least as accurate as other tests. Still a grossly inflated Scandinavian signal (probably should have been subsumed into Great Britain), and a few regions are too hyper-specific (eg, Northern Britain, Northern Italy). Just MHO.

Has anyone tested with them or done the free upload? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

i uploaded my ftdna raw data
don't like it ....
and i sent them some questions 2 days ago about the north italy cluster and the southwest european cluster still no answer :\

mwauthy
03-03-2018, 08:15 PM
My Ancestry raw data on Gencove produced almost identical scores to my Ancestry DNA results. However, my 23andMe raw data produced significantly different results. I wonder which raw data is more compatible with their algorithm?

Censored
03-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Okay so Gencove has me at 40% South Indian Subcontinent, 46% North Indian Subcontinent, 6% Central Asia and 8% Bengal. This is a better breakdown than ftDNA which has 28% Central Asia(in reality the equivalent of North Indian subcontinent) and central South Asia(in reality the equivalent of South India) and 4% Anatolian with some trace results.

Dorsetshireman
03-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Results for context:

I don't really rate it all that much. I have no known southern European ancestry, and only a small amount of Scandinavian compared to the amount predicted here. My suspicion is that its seeing that my majority southern English ancestry is somewhere between Scandinavian and northern Italian, and rather than realising that's because I'm mostly English, it is instead modelling me as a mixture of the two.

kingjohn
03-03-2018, 09:52 PM
they use imputation
this unfortunate the new wave /generation of dna testing
in imputation you are guessing some part of the dna
which damn wrong :(
23nad me v5 and living dna use imputation also the new gsa chip instead of the illumina

Modernancientdna
03-03-2018, 11:52 PM
I don't know how accurate cause they say is better if you order kit from them, less accurate raw data upload but for me is similar with other calcs. I use Ancestry raw data.

mephisto
03-04-2018, 02:53 PM
My Gencove results are good. Impuation is an interesting method, especially if you get it as an extra service for free, however Gencoves imputation files are unhandy, because they do not remove duplicated SNPs, besides this their SNPs are not in rsid format which means that you have to prepare the imputed file before you can use it for "private" use (Gedmatch/calculators etc.). DNA Land also offers imputed files based on your uploaded raw data, they did make it right and with knwodlege of PLINK you can basically "extract" yourself for example a 23andme v3 raw data, even though you never have bought the test (actually you cannot even buy it anymore even if you wanted to), obviously much of it is "guessing", however it is based on references so the results are not just completely made up as some members here act like.

What I will do is make a "master" raw data by extracting all possible commercial SNPs (the relevant SNPs only like 23andme v3/v4/v5, ftdna and maybe ancestry), then merge them back together and convert them to a gedmatch compatible format. This what I explained is possible and working (tried) and it is great.

kingjohn
03-04-2018, 03:28 PM
gencove and dna land contradict all my other results including
yours :\
for sure they must be doing something wrong
your calculators are better than dna land and gencove any day any time :)

digital_noise
03-29-2018, 05:35 PM
My Gencove results based off ancestry dna upload

28% North Central Europe
18% Scandinavian
17% Eastern med.
16% eastern Europe
12% SW Europe
4% Northern British isles
3% Central Asia
2% Ashkenazi

The Scandinavian is inflated. Im probably 10% Swedish at most. The SW Europe I get alot in various calculators, mostly pointing to Iberian or basque. I have no known Spanish ancestry, although I read its common to see in Southern Italian/Sicilians, so imnot sure how to interpret that. In Gedmatch K13 I show 16% West Med and 10% Eastern med.

The 3% Central Asia is most likely Caucasus that i see in Gedmatch (usually between 7 and 15% depending on calculator), from the Calabrese side of my ancestry. I see Ashkenazi Jewish in many calculators also, always 2-4%. I also see an Eastern Euro component so I cannot totally dismiss the Ashkenazi as noise however I cannot reliably pinpoint where the eastern Euro came from (many show Polish or Ukrainian). I have a 23 and me test in progress and going to have my mom do a 23 and me test so i can have more kits to play with and hopefully shed some light on that.

Overall, not bad results, just could use some refinement.

firemonkey
03-30-2018, 12:31 PM
If Northern British = Scottish it seriously underestimates mine .

23andMe

90 North and Central Europe
7 Northern British isles
3 Finland

FTDNA

100 Northern and Central Europe

Ancestry

90 Northern and Central Europe
6 Northern British isles
4 East Mediterranean

My heritage

95 North and Central Europe
5 East Mediterranean

Living dna

80 Northern and Central Europe
10 Northern British isles
8 East Mediterranean
2 Finland

SonsOfHerakles
04-05-2018, 02:13 PM
37% E Med.
19% NE Europe
19% Ashkenazi
8% SW Europe
8% N British Isles
3% N&C Europe
3% Anatolia, Caucus, Iranian Plateau
2% N Italy
1% N Africa

These results are similar to what I have seen in other databases/calculators. Interestingly none of them match my known genealogy which is 5/8 British isles, 2/8 Sicilian and 1/8 Greek.

Kukkuu
04-10-2018, 06:19 PM
83% Finland
10% Southwestern Europe
6% Northeast Europe
1% Scandinavia

These are my FamilytreeDna results
Finland 89%
Scandinavia 5%
Southeast Europe 3%

Trace results:
West Middle East < 2%
East Europe < 2%
Oceania < 1%

Similar results, but % are different.

Sizzles
04-19-2018, 07:59 PM
Gencove

31% east Mediterranean Sicily Greek
29% north&central Europe British, Irish, German
18% northern Italy Tuscan
12% Scandinavian iceland norwegian Swedish
4% north British isles British, orcadian, Scottish
3% Finnish
3% north east Europe

Ancestry dna
36% Europe south Sicily
26% east Europe n e Italy, Croatia Bosnia
24% great Britain
5% Ireland Scotland wales
4% caucasas
2% middle east
1% west Europe
1% scandinavian
1% north Africa

Known ancestry italian -sicilian, German, Irish, Croatian/Serbia/bosnian

JFWinstone
04-19-2018, 08:25 PM
Gencove (23andme data)

78% Northern and Central European
8% Southeast Asia
6% Western Africa
5% Eastern Mediterranean
3% North-Central Asia

Gencove (Ancestry data)

69% Northern and Central European
8% Scandinavian
7% Southeast Asia
6% Western Africa
3% Central Asia
4% East Asia
3% Eastern Africa

Gencove (FTDNA Data)

74% Northern and Central European
8% Western Africa
7% Southeast Asia
5% Scandinavia
3% North Central Asia
3% Central Indian Subcontinent

So some differences depending on which data I put on there...

My mum's from AncestryDNA data for comparison

36% Northern and Central European
12% East Asia
12% Southeast Asia
11% Scandinavia
10% East African
9% Western Africa
5% Central Indian Subcontinent
3% Finland