PDA

View Full Version : Any African Americans with High Percentage Of DNA from Mali?

spacetygrss
03-10-2018, 11:29 PM
Are there any other African Americans (i.e. descendants of the translatlantic Slave Trade) here with a high amount of DNA from Mali? Number 1 and 2 are Nigeria (37%) and Mali (21%). From what I've come across, that seems a little out of the norm. Other people seem to have Cameroon/Congo or Benin/Togo as their second spot when they score highly for Nigeria.

Half of my family is originally "from" Louisiana, but not multigenerationally that I can tell, and the other half is from Georgia.

Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated.

BTW, for reference:

Nigera 37%
Mali 21%
Great Britain 11%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 8%
Benin/Togo 6%
Cameroon/Congo 4%
Senegal 3%
Africa SouthEastern Bantu 2%
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers 2%
European Jewish 2%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 1%
Asia East 2%
Finland/Russia <1%

Don Felipe
03-11-2018, 11:51 AM
From what I've seen 21% "Mali" is indeed above average. But not entirely atypical either. Many other African Americans might score in the 10-20% range for Mali. In a survey among 350 African Americans 20 persons had "Mali" as biggest region. For more details:

African American AncestryDNA results (https://tracingafricanroots.wordpress.com/ancestrydna/african-american-results/)

https://tracingafricanroots.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/nr-1-regions-aa.jpg

spacetygrss
03-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Don Filepe.
I've actually read through that site (Can we say "rabbit hole?" I love it. Haha!). What I find most interesting is that I have a high ranking of Mali AND it's in combo with Nigeria. It just seems like most other people seem to have Benin/Togo or Cameroon/Congo combined with Nigeria. <Shrug> Maybe it's a result of common ethnic groups between the two places. Off to play with GEDmatch some more.

Thanks for the reply. :)

spacetygrss
03-11-2018, 07:44 PM
double post.

inquartata
05-19-2018, 11:59 PM
I ended up with 40% from Mali. That's more than a native apparently!

jshook
05-22-2018, 03:37 AM
Thanks, Don Filepe.
I've actually read through that site (Can we say "rabbit hole?" I love it. Haha!). What I find most interesting is that I have a high ranking of Mali AND it's in combo with Nigeria. It just seems like most other people seem to have Benin/Togo or Cameroon/Congo combined with Nigeria. <Shrug> Maybe it's a result of common ethnic groups between the two places. Off to play with GEDmatch some more.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Interesting you say that about Benin/Togo. My husband is mixed African-American and white and that (and North Africa) was the only region he didn't show at all. His dad's family is also from Louisiana and gets Nigeria as #1 among African regions, followed by Senegal and Cameroon/Congo.

Europe West 25%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 23%
Nigeria 11%
Cameroon/Congo 9%
Senegal 9%
Great Britain 6%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 5%
Mali 4%
Scandinavia 2%
Native American 1%
Africa South-Central Hunter-Gatherers 1%
Europe South <1%