PDA

View Full Version : Family Networks - Beta coming soon.

Pages : [1] 2

Kylo_Ren
03-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Just announced today. You can participate in the upcoming private beta before the open beta if you want. See here: https://www.livingdna.com/familynetworks

SaltyShanker
03-16-2018, 01:00 AM
awesome ! just signed up cant wait

Araz95
03-17-2018, 09:57 AM
This looks super!!

Stephen1986
03-17-2018, 11:00 AM
That sounds interesting, I've signed up.

timberwolf
03-18-2018, 03:53 AM
Looking forward to it.

Really hope, it is as good as advertised.

firemonkey
03-18-2018, 07:27 AM
Signed up. I hope it lives up to the hype as much as possible.

timberwolf
04-03-2018, 01:23 AM
Has anyone heard anything more about this?

Is not the private beta version mean't to be live by the end of this month?

04-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Hey timberwolf, I just sent them a tweet asking precisely that for you.

04-04-2018, 07:31 PM

Here is the response I got from LivingDNA on Twitter

timberwolf
04-04-2018, 07:33 PM

Thanks

I will be interested in their reply.

Can you please post it, when you receive it?

timberwolf
04-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Here is the response I got from LivingDNA on Twitter

Thanks

I think you must have been posting your message, when I was posting my request.

Either that, or I was being distracted by the Champions league game from Anfield.

timberwolf
04-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Hmmm

April, May and June, does allow them, some wriggle room.

I would think June, may be the actual date, their beta version goes live.

Bearing in mind with LivingDNA, they have not been that punctual in the time frames they have stated in the past.

timberwolf
04-12-2018, 11:45 PM

I followed it up with an email to them, about a week ago, to see if I could get some more information, or at least a more concrete starting date.

I got no reply, which is kind of par for course, with their customer service.

They have some work to do with their customer service response.

timberwolf
06-07-2018, 06:06 AM
Anyone have any information, regarding this roll out? LivingDNA have gone very very quiet.

06-07-2018, 06:49 AM
Anyone have any information, regarding this roll out? LivingDNA have gone very very quiet.

I have no new information, of course I could go back to Twitter and poke them, but it’s not got me very far in the past.

Just tweeted this..

Hi LDNA, what is the latest timeline for rollout, from your blog it says...”the matching system will go into private beta in Q2 and open beta in Q3 2018” #FamilyNetworks

timberwolf
06-07-2018, 07:18 AM
I have no new information, of course I could go back to Twitter and poke them, but it’s not got me very far in the past.

Just tweeted this..

Hi LDNA, what is the latest timeline for rollout, from your blog it says...”the matching system will go into private beta in Q2 and open beta in Q3 2018” #FamilyNetworks

Thanks

I have tried about a half a dozen times to contact them via email, never replied once.

AntG
06-07-2018, 09:15 AM
I see that yesterday, they've replied to someone on Twitter with "I am sorry, but I don't have a time line(.) I know that we are still in private beta. Hopefully it won(')t be too long !".

timberwolf
06-07-2018, 09:26 AM
I see that yesterday, they've replied to someone on Twitter with "I am sorry, but I don't have a time line(.) I know that we are still in private beta. Hopefully it won(')t be too long !".

Thanks,

I thought that they were looking for people to sign up for the early beta phase. Obviously not there yet.

AntG
06-07-2018, 09:37 AM
I'm just wondering if I should really be excited about this... if they've not got a huge amount of testers, any interesting matching functionality may turn out to be pointless if there are no good matches. I'm hoping it won't be a let down (NPE here).

timberwolf
06-07-2018, 09:41 AM
I'm just wondering if I should really be excited about this... if they've not got a huge amount of testers, any interesting matching functionality may turn out to be pointless if there are no good matches. I'm hoping it won't be a let down (NPE here).

Yeah it is very much and see.

They certainly talked it up however.

06-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Yeah it is very much and see.

They certainly talked it up however.

Reply from LDNA
Living DNA
@Living_DNA
Replying to @Doodle7
We hope to have private beta testing completed by the end of Q2 (June) and will move in to open beta in Q3 ( Jul to Sep ) Due to the nature of testing we could discover improvements that require more time to deliver so keep an eye on the website & social media for more info.
6:01 pm · 8 Jun 2018

timberwolf
06-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Reply from LDNA
Living DNA
@Living_DNA
Replying to @Doodle7
We hope to have private beta testing completed by the end of Q2 (June) and will move in to open beta in Q3 ( Jul to Sep ) Due to the nature of testing we could discover improvements that require more time to deliver so keep an eye on the website & social media for more info.
6:01 pm · 8 Jun 2018

Thanks Mate

Hopefully they will be on time, for once. Fingers crossed.

Mind you in their reply, they have given themselves plenty of wriggle room to delay it even further.

edwardsson
06-09-2018, 08:30 PM

I’m the one they replied to. I thought they needed beta testers to the Family Network, therefore I signed up for beta testing, but obviously, they do not need/want any for the private beta phase or am I mistaken concerning their answer?

AntG
06-09-2018, 09:11 PM
I’m the one they replied to. I thought they needed beta testers to the Family Network, therefore I signed up for beta testing, but obviously, they do not need/want any for the private beta phase or am I mistaken concerning their answer?

I was under the same impression as yourself. From their website:

"How to get involved? The matching system will go into private beta in Q2 and open beta in Q3 2018 where it will be available to all existing and new users. To gain early access to Family Networks matching system, click on the link below and you will be able to pop in your name and email address to let us know that you would like to explore the system prior to August 2018 when it will be available to all."

So if Open Beta (Q3) starts July and it does state if you want access prior to August... so 1 month early access?

timberwolf
06-09-2018, 09:27 PM
I was under the same impression as yourself. From their website:

"How to get involved? The matching system will go into private beta in Q2 and open beta in Q3 2018 where it will be available to all existing and new users. To gain early access to Family Networks matching system, click on the link below and you will be able to pop in your name and email address to let us know that you would like to explore the system prior to August 2018 when it will be available to all."

So if Open Beta (Q3) starts July and it does state if you want access prior to August... so 1 month early access?

With LDNA timekeeping is not their strongest suit.

I signed up in March. Heard absolutely nothing.

06-10-2018, 11:46 AM
With LDNA timekeeping is not their strongest suit.

I signed up in March. Heard absolutely nothing.

Ditto....

AntG
06-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Reply I recieved from LDNA:

"With GDPR we're updating the way people can join the beta and overall family networks (and comply with legislation) which has meant we have had to move when people start joining the beta. That said we are making good progress and will be reaching out to existing users and those who applied to be part of the beta during July. Please note we will start with a small number of people and then expand this from August onwards, Many thanks Living DNA"

timberwolf
06-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Finally heard back from them.

Taking the guesswork out of DNA relationships, Family Networks is our Living DNA matching service, to help genealogists at all levels find and connect with previously unknown family connections. This feature is anticipated for public release during Q3/Q4 2018 (current estimate). The beta for this product will be released shortly before.

FionnSneachta
06-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Living DNA announced this on twitter today:

We are making good progress on #FamilyNetworks & will be reaching out to existing users and those who applied to be part of the #beta in Aug. We will be starting with a small number of users & will expand this from Aug onwards.

timberwolf
06-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Living DNA announced this on twitter today:

Excellent, a little later then the end of April originally stated. Still good to hear they have said something official.

FionnSneachta
07-19-2018, 07:57 PM
When you log into Living DNA, there is now a 'Family Networks' tab with 'coming soon!' written under it. At least it's a sign of progress.

07-19-2018, 08:10 PM
When you log into Living DNA, there is now a 'Family Networks' tab with 'coming soon!' written under it. At least it's a sign of progress.

Yes I see that too.

timberwolf
07-19-2018, 08:20 PM
Yes I see that too.

Looks like they have changed the layout as well. Different sign in.

07-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Looks like they have changed the layout as well. Different sign in.

Just noticed that, looks like it went live in the last couple of hours.

timberwolf
07-22-2018, 01:11 AM
Is the plan still for this to go live in August? Have Livingdna giving a specific date?

Gery
07-24-2018, 05:30 PM
I signed up for the beta version a while back, but haven't heard from Living DNA.
When I click on the "Family Networks" tab, I just get the coming soon message.

Gery
08-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Got this email from Living DNA today.

"We’re really excited to give you a little update on our new Family networks feature.

From August we will be opening up Family Networks to our first pioneering group of Beta testers.

We will then be inviting further carefully selected groups to join the testing. This means we can take our valuable customer feedback to develop and improve our service before a wider public release.

We will be back in touch with you soon with additional updates.

Best wishes,

Esmee Mortimer-Taylor
Living DNA customer service manager"

rldean
08-07-2018, 11:29 PM
I also got the message from LivingDNA. I moved my LivingDNA raw data to Gedmatch about 16 months ago. On Gedmatch I have 827 matches with LivingDNA people with 95% of them predicted to be more then 6 generations away. My immigrant ancestor from Ulster Ireland purchased land in Virginia USA 1754. He is 6 generations back from me so any branch off from UK people would be at least 6 generations. It will be interesting what my LivingDNA Family Networks will look like. My closest LivingDNA match on Gedmatch is 4.2 generations away. I have no idea how that person is related to me so we will see if LivingDNA is able to identify her in my Network.

edwardsson
08-08-2018, 07:35 AM
Hopefully, the Family Networks »Relative Finder» will be released at the beginning of August and not at the end of the month and hopefully, I'll be one of the selected to their first pioneering group of Beta testers. :)

AntG
08-08-2018, 10:26 PM
Hopefully, the Family Networks »Relative Finder» will be released at the beginning of August and not at the end of the month and hopefully, I'll be one of the selected to their first pioneering group of Beta testers. :)

If you're first, you'll match no-one ;)

edwardsson
08-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Haha, that's a good one. :)

Let's hope there are more people than me then.

Gery
08-09-2018, 05:18 PM
It's so true, the first will have no matches, lol.

I only have 700+ Living DNA matches at GedMatch, starting at 4.6 generations back,
so my expectations are low. Still I am eagerly awaiting my Family Networks results.
I'm pretty sure those 700+ matches are from my father's side. My mother was Sicilian,
and very few Sicilians give a DNA sample without a court order. :)

FionnSneachta
08-09-2018, 05:35 PM
It's so true, the first will have no matches, lol.

I only have 700+ Living DNA matches at GedMatch, starting at 4.6 generations back,
so my expectations are low. Still I am eagerly awaiting my Family Networks results.
I'm pretty sure those 700+ matches are from my father's side. My mother was Sicilian,
and very few Sicilians give a DNA sample without a court order. :)

I think that they might do it in such a way that the people in the beta group will be able to see all of their possible matches in the database including those not in the beta group. Regardless though, it's still likely that the matches will all be quite far out and I can't see it looking too impressive at the moment. The amount of people doing the free autosomal transfer could have quite an impact though eventually.

timberwolf
08-09-2018, 08:10 PM
To say thank you for your support, each uploader from now until October 31st, 2018 will soon be able to choose to see how they match and connect to other Living DNA participants. This feature is rolling out to small groups of users at a time, starting August 8th, 2018.

It is now past August 8th, get on with it.

Gery
08-09-2018, 09:46 PM
Great to hear that they're rolling it out now, even if it is just in small groups.

I'll keep looking daily at my email and my Living DNA account, and will post as soon as I get the Family Networks feature.
I'll also be looking in this thread daily to see if anyone here gets that feature. Do I sound too anxious?:)

jelliedsoup
08-10-2018, 02:45 AM
I have a message saying that mine will be updated on the 6 August 2018, yet it hasn't happened yet.

I wonder if anyone has received the update?

edwardsson
08-10-2018, 12:32 PM
I have a message saying that mine will be updated on the 6 August 2018, yet it hasn't happened yet.

I wonder if anyone has received the update?

Not yet, but hopefully soon. Since I haven't got any update today, it will probably show up during next week.

edwardsson
08-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Great to hear that they're rolling it out now, even if it is just in small groups.

I'll keep looking daily at my email and my Living DNA account, and will post as soon as I get the Family Networks feature.
I'll also be looking in this thread daily to see if anyone here gets that feature. Do I sound too anxious?:)

In that case, you're not the only one that sounds too anxious. :)

poppet
08-10-2018, 06:33 PM
I'm also eagerly waiting for this to go live! Hoping to trace my dad's unknown paternal line somehow. B)

csb
08-11-2018, 09:04 PM
I too have tested with livingDNA and signed up a while ago to a link to be included in beta testing. I am also full Ashkenazi so I am actually very curious to see how this looks when I am invited. Will I have the many falsely inflated relatives even in a database weighted to the UK? Another fact that plays to my curiosity is that although I get 99.5% Ashkenazi from 23andMe with a small remainder Sardinian, LivingDNA gave me 4.1% Great Britain and Ireland (and a whole lot of 45% Southern Italy). Could this 4.1% Britain assignment imply that I might actually see matches in their database? Or even suggest that a certain amount of shared ancestry 23andMe assigns as Ashkenazi is inherent in their Great Britain and Ireland assignment?

Gery
08-11-2018, 10:56 PM
I too have tested with livingDNA and signed up a while ago to a link to be included in beta testing. I am also full Ashkenazi so I am actually very curious to see how this looks when I am invited. Will I have the many falsely inflated relatives even in a database weighted to the UK? Another fact that plays to my curiosity is that although I get 99.5% Ashkenazi from 23andMe with a small remainder Sardinian, LivingDNA gave me 4.1% Great Britain and Ireland (and a whole lot of 45% Southern Italy). Could this 4.1% Britain assignment imply that I might actually see matches in their database? Or even suggest that a certain amount of shared ancestry 23andMe assigns as Ashkenazi is inherent in their Great Britain and Ireland assignment?

Living DNA did a great job with my British ancestry, pretty much spot on with my family tree and oral traditions, but they made a mess of my Sicilian side. I didn't expect living DNA to do well with my Sicilian side. Two of the admixture programs at GedMatch, Dodecad and MDLP Project seemed to confirm my Sicilian family's oral traditions. Have you uploaded your raw data to GedMatch?

csb
08-12-2018, 12:52 AM
Living DNA did a great job with my British ancestry, pretty much spot on with my family tree and oral traditions, but they made a mess of my Sicilian side. I didn't expect living DNA to do well with my Sicilian side. Two of the admixture programs at GedMatch, Dodecad and MDLP Project seemed to confirm my Sicilian family's oral traditions. Have you uploaded your raw data to GedMatch?

Indeed I have uploaded to Gedmatch. In many of the calculators my top single population oracles frequently contain an assortment between Ashkenazi, Sephardic, East Sicilian, Italian Jewish, and sometimes other north African Jewish subpopulations. Sometimes Ashkenazi is on top, though in others Sephardi and Sicilian can beat Ashkenazi. It came up on another discussion thread how much higher my 'South Italian' assignment was in LivingDNA compared to other Ashkenazi who have tested. But I have heard Sicilians and Ashkenazi are closely related.

Actually for example here are my Eurogenes K15 top 5 oracles
1 Sephardic_Jewish 5.35
2 East_Sicilian 5.65
3 Ashkenazi 5.85
4 Italian_Jewish 6.24
5 South_Italian 6.33

Gery
08-12-2018, 04:17 PM
Indeed I have uploaded to Gedmatch. In many of the calculators my top single population oracles frequently contain an assortment between Ashkenazi, Sephardic, East Sicilian, Italian Jewish, and sometimes other north African Jewish subpopulations. Sometimes Ashkenazi is on top, though in others Sephardi and Sicilian can beat Ashkenazi. It came up on another discussion thread how much higher my 'South Italian' assignment was in LivingDNA compared to other Ashkenazi who have tested. But I have heard Sicilians and Ashkenazi are closely related.

Actually for example here are my Eurogenes K15 top 5 oracles
1 Sephardic_Jewish 5.35
2 East_Sicilian 5.65
3 Ashkenazi 5.85
4 Italian_Jewish 6.24
5 South_Italian 6.33

Sicilian and Jewish results are quite similar, and as the science is refined, they may be able to differentiate them better. I say "may be" because many Sicilians were Jewish before the expulsion/mass conversion of 1493. My Sicilian family has the oral tradition that we were among those who converted and stayed in Sicily. Since my parents were of different ethnic backgrounds, I need to use the mixed mode population sharing. Dodecad, for one, seems to confirm this family tradition.

My Mixed Mode population sharing: from Dodecad K12b Oracle results:

# Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
1 59.5% CEU30 (1000Genomes) + 40.5% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 2.4
2 59.5% English (Dodecad) + 40.5% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 2.44
3 58% British_Isles (Dodecad) + 42% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 2.44
4 60.3% Kent (1000Genomes) + 39.7% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 2.47
5 56.3% Orkney (1000Genomes) + 43.7% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 2.84
6 56.6% Orcadian (HGDP) + 43.4% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 2.93
7 57% Irish (Dodecad) + 43% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 2.94
8 60.4% Dutch (Dodecad) + 39.6% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 2.97
9 58.6% British (Dodecad) + 41.4% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 3.07
10 59.3% Cornwall (1000Genomes) + 40.7% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 3.11
11 62.5% Mixed_Germanic (Dodecad)+ 37.5% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 3.11
12 57.3% Argyll (1000Genomes) + 42.7% Morocco_Jews (Behar) 3.18
13 57.5% Irish (Dodecad) + 42.5% Sephardic_Jews (Behar) 3.5
14 57.2% Orcadian (HGDP) + 42.8% Sephardic_Jews (Behar) 3.52
15 58.6% British_Isles (Dodecad) + 41.4% Sephardic_Jews (Behar) 3.54
16 59.1% British (Dodecad) + 40.9% Sephardic_Jews (Behar) 3.55
17 56.9% Orkney (1000Genomes) + 43.1% Sephardic_Jews (Behar) 3.58
18 60.9% Kent (1000Genomes) + 39.1% Sephardic_Jews (Behar) 3.6
19 60.1% English (Dodecad) + 39.9% Sephardic_Jews (Behar) 3.6
20 59.9% Cornwall (1000Genomes) + 40.1% Sephardic_Jews (Behar) 3.62

Gery
08-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Another day, and still no beta Family Networks for me. Anyone else having any luck?

Sikeliot
08-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Sicilian and Jewish results are quite similar, and as the science is refined, they may be able to differentiate them better. I say "may be" because many Sicilians were Jewish before the expulsion/mass conversion of 1493. My Sicilian family has the oral tradition that we were among those who converted and stayed in Sicily. Since my parents were of different ethnic backgrounds, I need to use the mixed mode population sharing. Dodecad, for one, seems to confirm this family tradition.

Which towns in Sicily do you descend from?

Gery
08-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Which towns in Sicily do you descend from?

Salemi and Campobello di Mazara, both in the province of Trapani

Sikeliot
08-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Salemi and Campobello di Mazara, both in the province of Trapani

So you are half Sicilian and the rest NW European I presume?

If so, it looks like you could model your Sicilian parent as 85% Moroccan Jewish, 15% NW European.

Gery
08-12-2018, 04:41 PM
So you are half Sicilian and the rest NW European I presume?

If so, it looks like you could model your Sicilian parent as 85% Moroccan Jewish, 15% NW European.

It's close to that, I'm sure. My aunt's (mother's sister) results are 78% Moroccan Jewish/Sephardic, 22% NW Europe.
My aunt expresses more north European features than my mother did, and that may be why my Sicilian half has a higher
Sephardic percentage.

Sikeliot
08-12-2018, 05:41 PM
It's close to that, I'm sure. My aunt's (mother's sister) results are 78% Moroccan Jewish/Sephardic, 22% NW Europe.
My aunt expresses more north European features than my mother did, and that may be why my Sicilian half has a higher
Sephardic percentage.

Sounds pretty typical result for Trapani. Believe it or not some other parts of western Sicily are even closer to Sephardim than that.

jonahst
08-12-2018, 06:12 PM

It's not so much that we (Ashkenazim) and Sicilians are closely-related, but more that we have similar general geographic makeups. In other words, similar amounts of West Asian, Southern European, and Northern European ancestry. The specific proportions and origins are different, but they average out to produce similar autosomal results.

We do share some ancestry, especially from the Greco-Roman period when Sicily was full of Jews, but we are very much distinct peoples with distinct origins and genetics. This fact is reinforced by the very different results most Ashkenazim get compared to Sicilians in Living DNA.

Gery
08-12-2018, 08:27 PM
It's not so much that we (Ashkenazim) and Sicilians are closely-related, but more that we have similar general geographic makeups. In other words, similar amounts of West Asian, Southern European, and Northern European ancestry. The specific proportions and origins are different, but they average out to produce similar autosomal results.

We do share some ancestry, especially from the Greco-Roman period when Sicily was full of Jews, but we are very much distinct peoples with distinct origins and genetics. This fact is reinforced by the very different results most Ashkenazim get compared to Sicilians in Living DNA.

The main reason I say Living DNA messed up my Sicilian half is that they they put me at 98.8% European, 1.2% Levant. Perhaps this is because Living DNA looks at more recent origins, and not the more distant past. Most of the admixture programs at GEDMatch say I have North African, Middle Eastern, and Gedrosian. All totaling approx. 20%. Again, I tested at Living DNA to get a clearer picture of my British half, not to better understand my Mediterranean half.

At GEDMatch, my Jewish results are almost always Sephardic, seldom Ashkenazim. In fact my Eurogenes J-Test result was 4.5% Ashkenazim. That was 2.5 percentage points less than one of my 100% Northern Irish cousins.

My typical results:
Population
Gedrosia 8.04 Pct
Siberian -
Northwest_African 5.94 Pct
Southeast_Asian -
Atlantic_Med 35.84 Pct
North_European 28.41 Pct
South_Asian 0.23 Pct
East_African -
Southwest_Asian 5.62 Pct
East_Asian -
Caucasus 15.93 Pct
Sub_Saharan -

Gery
08-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Sounds pretty typical result for Trapani. Believe it or not some other parts of western Sicily are even closer to Sephardim than that.

The question for me is, are western Sicilians showing as Sephardic because of a common distant geographic ancestry, or that those western Sicilians are the descendants of the Conversos from 1493, or a combination of both. I think probably a bit of both, and hopefully future tests will be able to determine that. Regardless, all this proves just how closely we're all connected, especially in a complete mutt, such as myself.

St. Pierre
08-12-2018, 10:51 PM
I joined this also and got the update a few days back but now when I go to the site and hit the login button it pulls up a blank screen so I cant login. I tried home computer and work computer and both are a blank screen when you try to login.

jonahst
08-12-2018, 11:33 PM
The main reason I say Living DNA messed up my Sicilian half is that they they put me at 98.8% European, 1.2% Levant. Perhaps this is because Living DNA looks at more recent origins, and not the more distant past. Most of the admixture programs at GEDMatch say I have North African, Middle Eastern, and Gedrosian. All totaling approx. 20%. Again, I tested at Living DNA to get a clearer picture of my British half, not to better understand my Mediterranean half.

At GEDMatch, my Jewish results are almost always Sephardic, seldom Ashkenazim. In fact my Eurogenes J-Test result was 4.5% Ashkenazim. That was 2.5 percentage points less than one of my 100% Northern Irish cousins.

My typical results:
Population
Gedrosia 8.04 Pct
Siberian -
Northwest_African 5.94 Pct
Southeast_Asian -
Atlantic_Med 35.84 Pct
North_European 28.41 Pct
South_Asian 0.23 Pct
East_African -
Southwest_Asian 5.62 Pct
East_Asian -
Caucasus 15.93 Pct
Sub_Saharan -

What did Living DNA give you for the European part of your Sicilian half? I've seen a full East Sicilian get over 90% European:

Sicilian (Catania)
Europe (South) 76.7%
South Italy 50.9%
Tuscany 24.3%
Iberian Peninsula 1.4%
Great Britain and Ireland 15.2%
South Central England 7.7%
Southeast England 2.6%
Devon 1.9%
Cornwall 1.7%
South Yorkshire 1.4%
Near East 5.1%
North Turkey 3.1%
Levant 2%
Asia (South) 3%
Sindh 3%

It seems that often in Living DNA, people who are 1/8 Ashkenazi Jewish will get much less Southern European or Near East than they theoretically should, so it might be a symptom of Living DNA lumping ancestry that seems vaguely European in with other European ancestry, if that makes sense. Similarly, almost all Middle Easterners get 20-50% European, with Levantine Christians gets almost 50% Italy, mostly Tuscany and South Italy, which likely contain a lot of Caucasus and Levantine components.

I don't know about getting Sephardi vs Ashkenazi in GEDmatch for you, but I and my parents, as full Ashkenazim, get Sephardi, Maghrebi, or Italian Jewish populations (as well as Sicilians and some Greeks) almost as often as we get Ashkenazi as our top oracle population.

Gery
08-12-2018, 11:34 PM
I joined this also and got the update a few days back but now when I go to the site and hit the login button it pulls up a blank screen so I cant login. I tried home computer and work computer and both are a blank screen when you try to login.

I'm able to sign in at Living DNA. but I'm still getting the coming soon page when I click on Family Networks.
St. Pierre, I noticed that you're located in Maine. I used to live in Piscataquis county.

Gery
08-13-2018, 02:59 AM
What did Living DNA give you for the European part of your Sicilian half? I've seen a full East Sicilian get over 90% European:

Sicilian (Catania)
Europe (South) 76.7%
South Italy 50.9%
Tuscany 24.3%
Iberian Peninsula 1.4%
Great Britain and Ireland 15.2%
South Central England 7.7%
Southeast England 2.6%
Devon 1.9%
Cornwall 1.7%
South Yorkshire 1.4%
Near East 5.1%
North Turkey 3.1%
Levant 2%
Asia (South) 3%
Sindh 3%

It seems that often in Living DNA, people who are 1/8 Ashkenazi Jewish will get much less Southern European or Near East than they theoretically should, so it might be a symptom of Living DNA lumping ancestry that seems vaguely European in with other European ancestry, if that makes sense. Similarly, almost all Middle Easterners get 20-50% European, with Levantine Christians gets almost 50% Italy, mostly Tuscany and South Italy, which likely contain a lot of Caucasus and Levantine components.

I don't know about getting Sephardi vs Ashkenazi in GEDmatch for you, but I and my parents, as full Ashkenazim, get Sephardi, Maghrebi, or Italian Jewish populations (as well as Sicilians and some Greeks) almost as often as we get Ashkenazi as our top oracle population.

This is what Living DNA gave me. I'd like to note that though my surname is French, I am only, at best, 1/8th French, but living DNA has me over 35% French.
I've read that DNA companies like to error on the side of known ancestry, such as surnames. They may have assigned more to France based on this practice. My 1/2 Sicilian was reduced to 23.2% southern Italian, coupled with 10.8% Tuscan and north Italian.(34%)

From Living DNA:
Sub Regions
Europe 98.8%

Europe (North and West) 40.3%
France 35.2%
Scandinavia 5.1%

Europe (South) 34%
South Italy 23.2%
Tuscany 9.3%
North Italy 1.5%

Great Britain and Ireland 24.5%
South Central England 5.7%
Northwest Scotland 4.7%
East Anglia 3.3%
Devon 2.3%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 1.9%
Lincolnshire 1.5%
Cornwall 1.4%
Central England 1.3%
South England 1.2%
Southeast England 1.1%

Near East 1.2%
Levant 1.2%

jonahst
08-13-2018, 06:09 AM
This is what Living DNA gave me. I'd like to note that though my surname is French, I am only, at best, 1/8th French, but living DNA has me over 35% French.
I've read that DNA companies like to error on the side of known ancestry, such as surnames. They may have assigned more to France based on this practice. My 1/2 Sicilian was reduced to 23.2% southern Italian, coupled with 10.8% Tuscan and north Italian.(34%)

From Living DNA:
Sub Regions
Europe 98.8%

Europe (North and West) 40.3%
France 35.2%
Scandinavia 5.1%

Europe (South) 34%
South Italy 23.2%
Tuscany 9.3%
North Italy 1.5%

Great Britain and Ireland 24.5%
South Central England 5.7%
Northwest Scotland 4.7%
East Anglia 3.3%
Devon 2.3%
Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland 1.9%
Lincolnshire 1.5%
Cornwall 1.4%
Central England 1.3%
South England 1.2%
Southeast England 1.1%

Near East 1.2%
Levant 1.2%

Wow, that's very interesting. So you're 3/8 or more British? Living DNA is famous for overestimating British, but I guess some of the British and Sicily was collectively mistaken for France. Are the GB/Ireland estimates accurate for you aside from being underrepresented?

Otherwise, your results make sense from what I've seen, it just seems that "France" absorbed a lot. In their population descriptions, they often say things like "France is intermediary between Northern and Southern Europe so if you're mixed, you might get some France even if you're not French." I would imagine that in the future, they'll be able to more accurately distinguish between these populations. I'm hoping for that and better estimates for non-Europeans in the next update, whenever that comes. Levantines obviously shouldn't be getting 50% Italy...

Erikl86
08-13-2018, 07:54 AM

It's also because like Ashkenazim and Sephardim, Sicilians are also roughly 10%-20% West Asian and North African, 30%-50% South European (mainly Hellenic-derived, IMO), and 20%-30% West European (Sardinian-like, Italian etc.).

Ashkenazim also have a little bit of East European admixture.

AntG
08-13-2018, 01:15 PM
On the two tests that I've done directly with Living DNA, when clicking the Family Networks (Coming Soon) icon, it invited me to to create a profile for Family Networks and to opt in etc.
This is now my holding message....

Gery
08-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Wow, that's very interesting. So you're 3/8 or more British? Living DNA is famous for overestimating British, but I guess some of the British and Sicily was collectively mistaken for France. Are the GB/Ireland estimates accurate for you aside from being underrepresented?

Otherwise, your results make sense from what I've seen, it just seems that "France" absorbed a lot. In their population descriptions, they often say things like "France is intermediary between Northern and Southern Europe so if you're mixed, you might get some France even if you're not French." I would imagine that in the future, they'll be able to more accurately distinguish between these populations. I'm hoping for that and better estimates for non-Europeans in the next update, whenever that comes. Levantines obviously shouldn't be getting 50% Italy...

The GB/Ireland estimates are quite accurate, and seem to confirm the birth locations of many of my ancestors, as far back as I have a paper trail, to circa 1700.

Gery
08-13-2018, 04:06 PM
On the two tests that I've done directly with Living DNA, when clicking the Family Networks (Coming Soon) icon, it invited me to to create a profile for Family Networks and to opt in etc.

I got this too. Created my profile and received the I'm in the queue message. Makes me feel British, being in a "queue". ;)

edwardsson
08-13-2018, 04:29 PM

I did the same and are now, at last, queueing to the Family Network. One step closer to the realisation of the next phase of the Living DNA. :)

Gery
08-13-2018, 04:57 PM
When I was reading the Supplemental Terms, I came across something that surprised me, though I am easily surprised.

"6. Charges
We do not currently charge customers for use of our Family Networks service. We reserve the right to introduce a charge for the service or aspects of it. We will give you not less that 30 days notice by email before any charge is introduced. "

I hope this was just put in to cover any future members possibly being charged, I had never seen anything about a charge before, though I may have missed it.

FionnSneachta
08-13-2018, 05:27 PM

I also have this. Great to see some progress!

Capitalis
08-13-2018, 05:45 PM
I got this too. Created my profile and received the I'm in the queue message. Makes me feel British, being in a "queue". ;)

Made me laugh. :)

08-13-2018, 05:47 PM
Ditto..

timberwolf
08-13-2018, 08:30 PM
When I was reading the Supplemental Terms, I came across something that surprised me, though I am easily surprised.

"6. Charges
We do not currently charge customers for use of our Family Networks service. We reserve the right to introduce a charge for the service or aspects of it. We will give you not less that 30 days notice by email before any charge is introduced. "

I hope this was just put in to cover any future members possibly being charged, I had never seen anything about a charge before, though I may have missed it.

A little underhanded to say the least.

Lets just see what Family Networks is like when it arrives. They have certainly talked it up.

Potentially far more exciting then any ancestry estimate.

Kathlingram
08-14-2018, 12:21 AM
Me Too:cheer2:

poppet
08-14-2018, 01:25 AM
How exciting! I'm in the queue now as well :fencing:

poppet
08-14-2018, 01:31 AM
Crikey, just had a thought.. wouldn't it be funny if some of us on here were 'related' :eek:

JonikW
08-14-2018, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the tip-off; I've signed up now too. They should make this much more visible when you sign into your account.

td120
08-14-2018, 05:20 AM
What is the little tickbox next to date of birth? Says "estimate"...estimate what?

Paid test here ,I already got the Family Ancestry results...

ValerieAnne
08-14-2018, 01:40 PM
What is the little tickbox next to date of birth? Says "estimate"...estimate what?

Paid test here ,I already got the Family Ancestry results...

I believe an estimate would be when you aren't submitting your own information - but on behalf of somebody that is deceased or a possible adoptee. I've heard of adoptee's having 2 birthdays, their actual birthdate according to their birth record/certificate and the one of their adoption/when they were officially adopted. So, they may not know the original. Or I've seen a new of my ancestors (using census records) have different birthdays. For example, for one family member, depending on the census record there was a difference of 7 or so years in their age. It wasn't until I found the birth records/certificate that I knew the correct date.

poppet
08-14-2018, 03:52 PM
I was just wondering if I should edit my Family Networks details and use an alias and estimate my birth date, I am a little concerned over the data privacy warning that came up about not be able to undo once your information is submitted. Has anyone else done this, or have you generally used all of your personal information? Thanks

Gery
08-14-2018, 04:11 PM
It would be too little too late in my case, if I altered my details to hide things like my birth date. For years I've had that info out there on family trees on the web,
freely available to anyone. It's because of those family details that I never use my mother's maiden name, or a school as a security question answer, or any
other answer that could be deduced from my family tree.

For others, who have not been as open, and now in retrospect, foolhardy, as I have been, I think altering your details a bit may be a good idea.

poppet
08-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Thanks a lot for your insight Gery :)

AntG
08-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Living DNA have announced this today:
"We are very excited about our latest feature Family Networks. If you have received your results from your Living DNA test then you can now Opt in to Family Networks. For those uploading their data, opting in will be coming in 1-2 weeks."
https://www.facebook.com/livingdna/posts/2109569369292727:0

Araz95
08-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Yeah, opted in. Message when opted in.

"You’re in the queue to be a part of Family Networks. How exciting!

Our first pioneering group of genealogy experts are currently testing the Family Networks beta. We will be inviting further carefully selected groups to join the testing soon, which includes you. This means we can take our valuable customer feedback to develop and improve our service before a wider public release.

We appreciate your patience as we iron out kinks in this revolutionary new tool. We will be back in touch with you soon with additional updates

St. Pierre
08-16-2018, 06:34 PM
I'm in York county, born and raised in Biddeford but live in a rural area now.

timberwolf
08-16-2018, 08:21 PM
Living DNA have announced this today:
"We are very excited about our latest feature Family Networks. If you have received your results from your Living DNA test then you can now Opt in to Family Networks. For those uploading their data, opting in will be coming in 1-2 weeks."
https://www.facebook.com/livingdna/posts/2109569369292727:0

Good to hear.

Did they actually say when Family Networks actually goes live fro us who have already optioned in?

J Man
08-17-2018, 01:12 AM
If you upload your 23andme raw data to Living DNA do you pretty much get as much informative genetic results compared to actually ordering a Living DNA kit?

JonikW
08-18-2018, 04:13 AM
If you upload your 23andme raw data to Living DNA do you pretty much get as much informative genetic results compared to actually ordering a Living DNA kit?

I'd say no, based on my mother's results. My father and I tested with both companies and both did a great job. My mother's 23andme results looked accurate, but her transfer to Living DNA was a waste of time. I remember they didn't even pick up much British, let alone get the regions right. She has a similar regional breakdown to me by paper trail (and our 23andme regions were almost identical).

Gery
08-20-2018, 04:53 PM
I'm still in the queue. Waiting not so patiently.

Anyone hear anything yet?

Araz95
08-21-2018, 06:50 AM
Nope, nothing yet

edwardsson
08-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Still waiting in the queue. Hope there will not be any rain in the meantime because I did not bring an umbrella with me. Thought it should be a lot faster after joining the beta program before the summer and started to queue at the beginning of last week (when it was possible to start to queue).

timberwolf
08-22-2018, 09:10 PM
Any word of when this feature actually goes live? It is way past August 8th

edwardsson
08-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Apparently, it doesn't seem to be going alive this week. That's a pity. :(

timberwolf
08-25-2018, 01:14 AM
Apparently, it doesn't seem to be going alive this week. That's a pity. :(

Seems to me they have been given a lot of data from people, and they given back nothing as of yet.

Originally this was scheduled for the end of April, then the beginning of this month.

timberwolf
08-27-2018, 11:03 PM
Any word?

Gery
08-27-2018, 11:53 PM
Poor communication and ever expanding time frames for the roll out. It's obvious that Living DNA is not run by it's marketing department.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. Let's hope the product makes these current bad feelings a distant memory.

timberwolf
08-28-2018, 12:39 AM
Poor communication and ever expanding time frames for the roll out. It's obvious that Living DNA is not run by it's marketing department.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. Let's hope the product makes these current bad feelings a distant memory.

Ever expanding time frames is totally in keeping with LDNA's history. The original roll out date for the Irish update was end of March last year.

As I said they have received a lot of free data and given back nothing at all, as of yet.

edwardsson
08-29-2018, 01:28 PM
I'm getting a little bit frustrated to wait, but at the same time, I prefer the system or the network to be working when it's released (even if it's a beta) and then it could take some time. But I keep checking several times a day to see if I have managed to pass the queue or not.

I really hope and believe that the wait will be worth it.

Kathlingram
08-30-2018, 02:13 PM
I have something new this morning.. I have not read through it all yet..
https://pages.livingdna.com/familynetworks

JimB
08-30-2018, 05:11 PM
I uploaded my Ancestry DNA on 25 July 2018. Today at the Living DNA site I was offered the choice to join "Family Networks". I opted in, but it is not clear if I will be in the Private Beta or the Open Beta Q4 2018. Just have to wait and see what happens.

timberwolf
08-30-2018, 07:01 PM
You can now opt in on your uploaded kits as well, so there is some movement.

FionnSneachta
08-30-2018, 09:03 PM
It also allows you to enter in the research details too. For males, it also asks for the oldest known direct male ancestor. I'm debating whether to put down my furthest back researched male ancestor or my most distant male ancestor through Y-DNA. I think that I'll just leave it as my most distantly researched male ancestor since it's more relevant to the Living DNA time frame.

edwardsson
08-31-2018, 03:10 PM
Now August is more or less gone. I thought that we all who joined the Family Network beta programme before or during the summer should be able to enter the beta programme already in August?!

Today I sent a DNA test to MyHeritage. They said it will take 4-6 weeks before I can get a result. It will be interesting to see if I'll get the result from MyHeritage before or after the Living DNA let me into the Family Network beta. :\

Update: More info regarding the Family Network at the Living DNA website: https://www.livingdna.com/blog/346-august-2018-living-dna-product-updates

timberwolf
08-31-2018, 07:51 PM
Interesting development.However no specific date was given, for its start and it is now September.

It seems all uploads will allow a later option to upgrade to an ethnicity report.

While again potentially very exciting, Potential has to turned into performance and reality and the time is now.

timberwolf
09-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Has anyone heard anything? Or is it in double secret beta.

euromutt
09-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Has anyone heard anything? Or is it in still double secret beta.

I haven’t come across anything new. Hopefully we don’t have another 4 month, 195 page extravaganza on our hands. :boink:

timberwolf
09-05-2018, 10:47 PM
I haven’t come across anything new. Hopefully we don’t have another 4 month, 195 page extravaganza on our hands. :boink:

I would not bet against that possibility.

JonikW
09-12-2018, 08:47 AM
At least the link on my Living DNA account takes me to a proper Family Networks page now (it didn't in August). There's also a link to sign up for news, which I've done. It mentions a Q4 Open Beta launch too, so presumably from October.

timberwolf
09-13-2018, 09:09 AM
On my uploaded kits, it now says DNA uploaded, instead of awaiting testing.

Afshar
09-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Mine also says "DNA uploaded", comedy continues.

euromutt
09-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Well mine said “DNA Uploaded” for two days, but now says: “Testing error; requires attention.” But I can’t click into it anywhere. >:(

jayvee
09-15-2018, 09:55 PM
I uploaded my mother's kit in November 2017 so it's been a long and frustrating wait. Looks like they're in second gear now, so I'm optimistic for the first time in 10 months.

mxcrowe
09-19-2018, 08:50 PM
I get the Family Networks page for both my LDNA test and the Ancestry test I uploaded. I asked them which kit they would use for Family Networks matching and the response was "probably both"...which is intriguing.

timberwolf
09-19-2018, 10:00 PM
I get the Family Networks page for both my LDNA test and the Ancestry test I uploaded. I asked them which kit they would use for Family Networks matching and the response was "probably both"...which is intriguing.

Interesting.

Did they say anything about when it would actually go live?

mxcrowe
09-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Interesting.

Did they say anything about when it would actually go live?

No, and I decided that pushing them on that would fall somewhere between un- and counter-productive. For sure, I'm not in the beta group, as that is supposedly underway, but it's hard to tell when the system will be operating for the 'rest of us'.

greerpalmer
09-21-2018, 09:43 PM
No, and I decided that pushing them on that would fall somewhere between un- and counter-productive. For sure, I'm not in the beta group, as that is supposedly underway, but it's hard to tell when the system will be operating for the 'rest of us'.

When FindMyPast launched with the partnership supposedly it was published that users that signed up via that route would have results/matching November 1st. On the facebook group for LivingDNA users I've seen two mentions of people who were part of the Beta, but had agreed not to disclose any details of the program during the Beta period.

firemonkey
09-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Still 'coming soon' . I wish these companies would give realistic dates as to when things are available to all customers.

timberwolf
09-21-2018, 11:11 PM
When FindMyPast launched with the partnership supposedly it was published that users that signed up via that route would have results/matching November 1st. On the facebook group for LivingDNA users I've seen two mentions of people who were part of the Beta, but had agreed not to disclose any details of the program during the Beta period.

Sounds like secret agent stuff.

ValerieAnne
09-24-2018, 03:02 AM
Both my kits (one 23andMe, one Ancestry) have said 'DNA uploaded' for days now (probably about a week). I uploaded the 23andMe at the end of Feb and the Ancestry one at the start of August.

Afshar
09-24-2018, 02:21 PM
I have heard they are using latest technology for uploading data
I think my retirement will come before my results.

timberwolf
09-28-2018, 09:44 PM
September's almost gone and still nothing.

Gery
09-29-2018, 04:28 AM
I don't know if Living DNA monitors these forums, but they should. When I enter into a business relationship, I value honesty above all else. Broken promises and an ever expanding time frame for delivery of products, are no way to run a business. Communication is right after honesty. Living DNA needs to explore giving realistic time frames and communicating when issues arise that change those time frames.

rod
09-29-2018, 06:10 AM
I don't know if Living DNA monitors these forums, but they should. When I enter into a business relationship, I value honesty above all else. Broken promises and an ever expanding time frame for delivery of products, are no way to run a business. Communication is right after honesty. Living DNA needs to explore giving realistic time frames and communicating when issues arise that change those time frames.

David Nicholson recently made the mistake of showing upon facebook. He mentioned a new chip. NO SALE to me! LivingDNA makes me nostalgic for BritainsDNA.

timberwolf
09-29-2018, 06:14 AM

They most certainly do monitor the Livingdna users Facebook page. Perhaps you could contract then on that forum.

I think their business performance has been unbelievably poor with an inability to produce the goods after all the promises made.

timberwolf
09-29-2018, 06:29 AM
David Nicholson recently made the mistake of showing upon facebook. He mentioned a new chip. NO SALE to me! LivingDNA makes me nostalgic for BritainsDNA.

So much for the 'free' updates.

MacUalraig
09-29-2018, 08:40 AM
Nevertheless, expanded Y could prove interesting if it does actually show up...

firemonkey
09-29-2018, 08:40 AM
What I want to know is if they have your sample why do they need you to do a new kit? I'm sure FTDNA uses a sample for several tests before saying you need to provide another sample. The more I hear the more I get the impression that LDNA is not customer friendly.

The only thing they seem to have going for them would be the accuracy of their autosomal results , and I'm not even sure how accurate those are across the board. I hear differing stories on that score.

timberwolf
09-29-2018, 10:02 AM
What I want to know is if they have your sample why do they need you to do a new kit? I'm sure FTDNA uses a sample for several tests before saying you need to provide another sample. The more I hear the more I get the impression that LDNA is not customer friendly.

The only thing they seem to have going for them would be the accuracy of their autosomal results , and I'm not even sure how accurate those are across the board. I hear differing stories on that score.

I would be more impressed if they delivered on the much promised Irish update and family networks first, before they start worrying about new chips etc.

Also I don't see why one would have to send a new sample, sounds more like a money grabbing exercise to me.

JonikW
09-29-2018, 10:24 AM
I would be more impressed if they delivered on the much promised Irish update and family networks first, before they start worrying about new chips etc.

Also I don't see why one would have to send a new sample, sounds more like a money grabbing exercise to me.

I thought a benefit of this test is that we get free updates. I remember aDNA being mentioned as one feature they might add. I hope that's still the case. I'm frustrated re the Irish and German updates but can see that your average customer would rather they got these things right and rolled them out once rather than through constantly improving updates that might cause them to question the company's credibility to a greater extent.

mxcrowe
10-01-2018, 04:07 PM
I thought a benefit of this test is that we get free updates. I remember aDNA being mentioned as one feature they might add. I hope that's still the case. I'm frustrated re the Irish and German updates but can see that your average customer would rather they got these things right and rolled them out once rather than through constantly improving updates that might cause them to question the company's credibility to a greater extent.

My latest comms with them indicate that's the way they are thinking, in general - get all this right before rolling it out. They are saying Family Networks by the end of the year, but that if possible, it could come earlier. I may be reading between the lines, but I think they are particularly concerned about getting all the privacy and data control processes nailed down, particularly in light of GDPR. Nothing we can do but wish them the best.

timberwolf
10-01-2018, 06:17 PM
So in other words not anytime soon.

rldean
10-02-2018, 04:28 PM
I received an email from LivingDNA the beginning of August that I would be in the August Beta. They said they would be contacting me soon. I haven't received any more info from them since then. I checked my LivingDNA account daily during August which stated the Beta was starting soon and it included me. Then later the online message was changed to the generic Beta coming soon but did not say including me. I checked their online blog which said they were pulling in matches to their chosen Beta participants early but said nothing about people they sent their email out to. The blog also stated they would include and label missing relatives up to 2 generations. I know my direct ancestors (all diseased) on my father's and mothers side back 5-6 generations. The LivingDNA's CEO's name and picture were attached to the email in early August. I believe I didn't have any matches is why I wasn't included. It would have been nice if LivinDNA would have had a followuo to their initial formal email mailing sent at the beginning of August. I have no problems with their analysis and research but their communications is severely lacking.

FionnSneachta
10-02-2018, 05:09 PM
I think that there'd be a much bigger fuss made if it was a company like Ancestry that was announcing these dates that new features or updates would be released and never releasing them on time. I'm actually glad that they're not announcing dates for all of the world projects. Even if we knew from past experience that we probably wouldn't get the update on time, there would still be that small bit of hope that it might actually deliver. At least, they seem to realise now that they can't create these newer regions as quickly as they initially seemed to expect.

Dibran
10-02-2018, 05:12 PM
At least the link on my Living DNA account takes me to a proper Family Networks page now (it didn't in August). There's also a link to sign up for news, which I've done. It mentions a Q4 Open Beta launch too, so presumably from October.

Mine doesn't look like this it just says I am opted in. Whats worse is I signed up at start up, and uploaded my parents kits sometime end of last year, early this year! they have also been unresponsive. They have some of the most abysmal customer service.

timberwolf
10-02-2018, 07:35 PM
I think that there'd be a much bigger fuss made if it was a company like Ancestry that was announcing these dates that new features or updates would be released and never releasing them on time. I'm actually glad that they're not announcing dates for all of the world projects. Even if we knew from past experience that we probably wouldn't get the update on time, there would still be that small bit of hope that it might actually deliver. At least, they seem to realise now that they can't create these newer regions as quickly as they initially seemed to expect.

I don't think that just because they are a smaller company then Ancestry, we should give them a free pass or complain less.

In reality they have received a lot of free data from people, with the expectation that we would receive the benefits of that in a timely manner. A lot of us uploaded data one year ago and as of yet received absolutely nothing back.

I am not comfortable nor happy with this continual over promising and under delivering of services.

Here is a link in which Nicholson states clearly that cousin matching first features would be rolled by the end of April this year, it is from about the 1.50 mark

Really for me it is now time to put up or shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeAQ5waOKU4

TopLobster
10-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Living DNA claim that Family Networks was delayed because they had to make it compliant with the EU GDPR laws. I don't know what is delaying the Ireland and Germany "One Family, One World" projects.

mxcrowe
10-05-2018, 01:20 AM
At this point, I think it's best to just put this down to the growing pains of a small company. I've seen this pattern many times. The best strategy for now is to focus on something else and let the timetable run its course. Sure, the missed forecasts are disappointing, but now we know better than to put too much stock in them. This is basically the same strategy I used with them during the DNA test, which took an eternity. Rather than sit around wondering and waiting, I tested with a different company and got on with uploading to GEDMatch, contacting cousins, etc, etc. Sufficiently distracted, it was a nice surprise when the LDNA results finally showed up.

timberwolf
10-05-2018, 02:44 AM
At this point, I think it's best to just put this down to the growing pains of a small company. I've seen this pattern many times. The best strategy for now is to focus on something else and let the timetable run its course. Sure, the missed forecasts are disappointing, but now we know better than to put too much stock in them. This is basically the same strategy I used with them during the DNA test, which took an eternity. Rather than sit around wondering and waiting, I tested with a different company and got on with uploading to GEDMatch, contacting cousins, etc, etc. Sufficiently distracted, it was a nice surprise when the LDNA results finally showed up.

Fair points, they have proven themselves to be unreliable.

Their big test will be to see if they provide ethnicity estimates by the end of the month through their findmypast partnership. If this does not happen, or they walk it back. The murmur of dissatisfaction will become a lot louder.

sktibo
10-05-2018, 04:32 AM
So much for the 'free' updates.

With my current results being pretty close to garbage a new chip sounds good to me. This time I'll wait for it to be released for a while before i buy however.. That and I'll want to be sure the Irish project actually gets released

mxcrowe
10-07-2018, 05:51 PM
They are making some pretty lofty claims for Family Networks...beyond meeting timetables, they've set the bar pretty high for expectations. Hopefully this too is not part of the same overpromise/underdeliver pattern. I can sympathize with a small company trying to eek out a place in a crowded niche...gotta find the right balance of hype and delivery. Once you're a known quantity, you don't need hype to drive eyeballs to your site, but in the meantime... Right now, the single best thing these guys could do to capture market share is to deliver on the fabulous promises for FN. But that's just from my perspective. I guess most people who genotype just want to look at their simplified ethnicity map and move on.

The murmur of dissatisfaction will become a lot louder. Heh...remind me never to get on your bad side...

timberwolf
10-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Heh...remind me never to get on your bad side.

No mate, it is just expectation of performance.

newm1988
10-07-2018, 11:32 PM
Does anyone have any idea how many total kits they'll be starting with counting their own kits and the findmypast kits?

edwardsson
10-10-2018, 06:58 AM
Already 10 October and still no Family Networks Beta insight.

timberwolf
10-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Already 10 October and still no Family Networks Beta insight.

They are now saying by the end of the year. Take whatever they say with a grain of salt.

firemonkey
10-10-2018, 08:53 AM
It seems to me there's a balance between bringing a faulty product out too soon , and taking too long to bring a product out that has people saying,when it does come out, this wasn't really worth the wait.
With these delays to produce a good product people are going to expect something top notch when it does arrive. Can Ldna deliver is the big question?

Dragakan
10-10-2018, 11:25 AM

Thanks for getting in touch.

Our teams are currently working hard to have our new Family Networks feature up and running for all customers as soon as we can. Our aim is to have this feature go live by the end of 2018 (estimated completion date).

But don't forget to keep an eye on social media and our website for updates, as if we are able to do this sooner we will.

I received this message today.

Kathlingram
10-10-2018, 11:40 AM
I received this message today.

OMG it never ends..

firemonkey
10-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Come December they'll probably be another delay.

timberwolf
10-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Come December they'll probably be another delay.

Yes that would be expectation, after all they have only had more then a Year to get this right.

timberwolf
10-10-2018, 07:11 PM
[Delete double post

Saetro
10-10-2018, 07:59 PM
I don't think that just because they are a smaller company then Ancestry, we should give them a free pass or complain less.

In reality they have received a lot of free data from people, with the expectation that we would receive the benefits of that in a timely manner. A lot of us uploaded data one year ago and as of yet received absolutely nothing back.

I am not comfortable nor happy with this continual over promising and under delivering of services.

Here is a link in which Nicholson states clearly that cousin matching first features would be rolled by the end of April this year, it is from about the 1.50 mark

Really for me it is now time to put up or shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeAQ5waOKU4

They have been dangling additional features in front of people since they began.
That is their nature.
Why should delivery be swift this time?

JonikW
10-10-2018, 11:09 PM
I don't feel as passionately as you guys. I just want them to roll out the updates when they can (they may be a small operation compared to to the competition). But when they do I want them to get it right. First time.

FionnSneachta
10-10-2018, 11:20 PM
It's the timelines that bug me. I'd be happy enough waiting if they weren't constantly announcing dates for new features. They haven't made good on any of their deadlines or new features yet. It makes me feel like we'll never see these features. I remember when I first ordered the DNA test in late 2016, they had a notice on the website saying something like coming early 2017 (could have even been January) how much neanderthal you have. Once again, a feature being announced that was supposed to released in a relatively short time period as if they were actually working on it and then nothing. I would actually prefer if they worked on these features in secret and only announce a few weeks before they actually release it without making these big announcements months beforehand. It's been nearly two years since I tested and despite the different announcements, there have been no changes.

timberwolf
10-10-2018, 11:35 PM
It's the timelines that bug me. I'd be happy enough waiting if they weren't constantly announcing dates for new features. They haven't made good on any of their deadlines or new features yet. It makes me feel like we'll never see these features. I remember when I first ordered the DNA test in late 2016, they had a notice on the website saying something like coming early 2017 (could have even been January) how much neanderthal you have. Once again, a feature being announced that was supposed to released in a relatively short time period as if they were actually working on it and then nothing. I would actually prefer if they worked on these features in secret and only announce a few weeks before they actually release it without making these big announcements months beforehand. It's been nearly two years since I tested and despite the different announcements, there have been no changes.

You describe exactly my thoughts about them.

JonikW
10-10-2018, 11:36 PM

I absolutely agree with you there. They should have said they plan to launch these things over two years, which would have been reasonable for a new business. Then they could have tried to surprise on the upside.

Gery
10-11-2018, 12:07 AM
There comes a point where the damage done by promising services to an existing customer base, and not delivering, supersedes the benefit of any additional new customers created by those empty promises. Most consumers google companies before they buy, and those lead to threads like this one may think twice about buying Living DNA's services. Not to mention the point when not delivering on promises crosses the line where consumer protection laws come into play, with all the civil and criminal ramifications.

JonikW
10-11-2018, 12:27 AM
There comes a point where the damage done by promising services to an existing customer base, and not delivering, is superseded by any potential new customers created by those empty promises. Most consumers google companies before they buy, and those lead to threads like this one may think twice about buying Living DNA's services. Not to mention the point when not delivering on promises crosses the line where consumer protection laws come into play, with all the civil and criminal ramifications.

That's a complex area potentially covering several jurisdictions. I don't think in my case they promised any timeframe in my agreement when I was in the first batch of testers. I certainly wouldn't want to see them go out of business, as we did with Britain's DNA, which also gave me a lot for my money.

FionnSneachta
10-11-2018, 11:35 AM
I would actually be surprised if the people who uploaded through the FindMyPast promotion get a free ethnicity estimate. I'm not even talking about getting it on time, just ever. Of course, I would be very happy to be proven wrong. We'll just have to wait and see since we haven't passed November 1st yet. They seem to have a habit of brushing off past comments they've made without addressing them though. Even if they came through on that promise, it would restore a lot more trust in them.

edwardsson
10-11-2018, 01:16 PM
It seems to me there's a balance between bringing a faulty product out too soon , and taking too long to bring a product out that has people saying,when it does come out, this wasn't really worth the wait.
With these delays to produce a good product people are going to expect something top notch when it does arrive. Can Ldna deliver is the big question?

I do not mind if it takes a bit longer time to be able to launch a better product, but I do mind having better communication from LDNA to their customer. Never promise a certain date if you know that you are not able to keep that promise. You risk getting people frustrated and you will eventually lose your goodwill and reputation.

Saetro
10-11-2018, 10:30 PM
From past behaviour, LivingDNA can only be expected to deliver what it already is delivering.
To think otherwise is to plan for disappointment.
Kindly adjust your expectations accordingly.
Expect nothing of these promises.
If they happen, celebrate.

czl
10-13-2018, 01:11 AM
Well about 3 weeks left, I really hope all this time generates a very solid result, as it’s taken longer than my ancestry report by far, it’ll be doubled if it actually comes in November.

czl
10-13-2018, 01:12 AM
Well about 3 weeks left, I really hope all this time generates a very solid result, as it’s taken longer than my ancestry report by far, it’ll be doubled if it actually comes in November.

JimB
11-03-2018, 05:32 AM
I received an email from Living DNA on Oct 26th "Your BETA access to Family Networks is now live".

I signed into my Living DNA account and went to Family Networks to see my matches annnnnnd (drum roll) I had exactly one match: my brother.

Oh well, it is only the Beta version.

Maybe I'll get my second match in 2019.

timberwolf
11-03-2018, 05:39 AM
I received an email from Living DNA on Oct 26th "Your BETA access to Family Networks is now live".

I signed into my Living DNA account and went to Family Networks to see my matches annnnnnd (drum roll) I had exactly one match: my brother.

Oh well, it is only the Beta version.

Maybe I'll get my second match in 2019.

I just got matches with my other kits, at least it is some progress.

FionnSneachta
11-03-2018, 09:54 AM
My only match is to my mum's kit. I don't match my dad who isn't in the family networks yet so it seems that other kits have to be in beta to match them. I'm not able to see the Tree View yet. It wouldn't show much anyway. However, what I find strange is that it says I share 100.08% DNA with my mum and 3477.76 cM. The cM number is normal but it should say that we share about 50%.

Stephen1986
11-03-2018, 10:42 AM
My only match is to my brother, although his test hasn't been completed yet. It says that we share 80.65% (2802.46 cM).

evon
11-03-2018, 11:06 AM
My only match is to my mum's kit. I don't match my dad who isn't in the family networks yet so it seems that other kits have to be in beta to match them. I'm not able to see the Tree View yet. It wouldn't show much anyway. However, what I find strange is that it says I share 100.08% DNA with my mum and 3477.76 cM. The cM number is normal but it should say that we share about 50%.

They overestimate at the moment, I get 51.21% (1779.48 cM) with my grandmother..

JFWinstone
11-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Mum and I are in now and only match each other so far, again like others the % is over what it should be 99.8%

JonikW
11-03-2018, 12:23 PM
I have only one non-parental match. She's the granddaughter of my mother's cousin and matches me at roughly the same percentage as she does on MyHeritage.

Kathlingram
11-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Hmmm..None of this sounds promising

jonahst
11-03-2018, 05:25 PM
I have about 30 matches plus my parents, and most seem to be Ashkenazi Jews or likely have some Jewish ancestry.

They do say that my parents share 101% and 98% of my DNA, which might explain why it said Evon's grandmother shares 51% of her DNA with him.

Pylsteen
11-03-2018, 05:26 PM
They should only divide by two to get the actual shared DNA (instead of % of shared chromosome positions).
The number of matches will probably remain low since they still are a relatively new company. It depends whether it will catch on (and I hope so, since I like their ethnicity breakdown). The number of matches I have at FTDNA only grows slowly. At MyHeritage, it grows really fast.

Nqp15hhu
11-03-2018, 07:02 PM
I would actually be surprised if the people who uploaded through the FindMyPast promotion get a free ethnicity estimate. I'm not even talking about getting it on time, just ever. Of course, I would be very happy to be proven wrong. We'll just have to wait and see since we haven't passed November 1st yet. They seem to have a habit of brushing off past comments they've made without addressing them though. Even if they came through on that promise, it would restore a lot more trust in them.

Would people like myself who have uploaded with Living DNA get a free estimate? I'm still waiting on this Family Networks program being released.

timberwolf
11-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Nothing more seems to be said about a free estimate.

FionnSneachta
11-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Would people like myself who have uploaded with Living DNA get a free estimate? I'm still waiting on this Family Networks program being released.

They posted this on 23rd October on Twitter:

If you made the upload before the 1st of October 2018 through Find My Past, Living DNA will give you a free autosomal DNA ancestry breakdown. We are working with your raw data to provide this for you as soon as possible.

At least they're still acknowledging it. My fear is just that they'll keep saying it's delayed until people just forget about it. At the moment, there's no reason to think that this will happen though. Hopefully, they are just really slow.

timberwolf
11-03-2018, 08:36 PM

At least they're still acknowledging it. My fear is just that they'll keep saying it's delayed until people just forget about it. At the moment, there's no reason to think that this will happen though. Hopefully, they are just really slow.

LivngDNA does not exactly fill me with confidence. I mean the very slow roll out of family networks, like more than a year. How much more time do they need?

Also the FMP partership was announced on July 19th, three and a half months ago, plenty of time to release an ancestry estimate, again how much time do they need?

FionnSneachta
11-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Also the FMP partership was announced on July 19th, three and a half months ago, plenty of time to release an ancestry estimate, again how much time do they need?

As well as that, I sure don't have a way to prove that I uploaded through Find My Past except for some screenshots that I took along the way. Their emphasis on if you uploaded through Find My Past seems like it could be used as an excuse for not providing an estimate. I went to the Find My Past website but it merely gave me a link to Living DNA. I just don't know how they're supposed to be able to tell that you were uploading through the Find My Past promotion or is everyone just getting it who uploaded during that time period.

timberwolf
11-03-2018, 09:20 PM
As well as that, I sure don't have a way to prove that I uploaded through Find My Past except for some screenshots that I took along the way. Their emphasis on if you uploaded through Find My Past seems like it could be used as an excuse for not providing an estimate. I went to the Find My Past website but it merely gave me a link to Living DNA. I just don't know how they're supposed to be able to tell that you were uploading through the Find My Past promotion or is everyone just getting it who uploaded during that time period.

Exactly it was the same for me. A number of posters on this forum did the same, what I find most frustrating is they promise a lot and deliver very little.

Nqp15hhu
11-04-2018, 03:03 AM

I didn’t upload through FindmyPast!

czl
11-04-2018, 12:32 PM
November 4th and I’m still waiting for anything, I at least wish they’d let you know where in the process your dna is like ancestry or 23andme.

Dibran
11-04-2018, 04:42 PM
It’s pretty underwhelming. My only matches are my parents and there’s no option to upgrade for ancestry like they claimed. Disappointed.

Gery
11-04-2018, 08:30 PM
I'm so happy to hear that some people are getting their Family Networks Beta going live. Mine still isn't, but I'm not surprised about that, if only close matches are showing up. I don't expect any close matches from Living DNA. I hope this is just a beginning, because if all we get are parents, siblings, grandparents and first and second cousins and such, I don't see the purpose of Family Networks for anyone who isn't adopted. I've tried to tamp down my expectations, but I wasn't able to limit them to the level I've seen reported by postings on this thread so far. Anyway, hope springs eternal, and for now my quest for distant relatives will have to be satisfied by GedMatch lists and chromosome browsing tools. Sigh.

mxcrowe
11-06-2018, 09:10 PM
My experience with the beta is about the same as everyone else's: one match to my own Ancestry kit, flagged as a twin brother (God forbid).
So I thought I'd help out and upload some additional kits from my family: parents and siblings. However, it seems I need to create a separate email address for each kit. Am I missing something? That would be an extremely cumbersome way to have to manage a bunch of kits. I understand that each kit needs its own account number, etc., but can't I assign myself as the manager and access the kits via a single login? Even FTDNA, which forces you to log out and back in with each individual kit number at least allows all kits to have the same email address. I must be missing something - no way they'd be that obtuse, right?

timberwolf
11-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Still no word on those free ancestry estimates by the end of October yet?

FionnSneachta
11-06-2018, 10:07 PM
My experience with the beta is about the same as everyone else's: one match to my own Ancestry kit, flagged as a twin brother (God forbid).
So I thought I'd help out and upload some additional kits from my family: parents and siblings. However, it seems I need to create a separate email address for each kit. Am I missing something? That would be an extremely cumbersome way to have to manage a bunch of kits. I understand that each kit needs its own account number, etc., but can't I assign myself as the manager and access the kits via a single login? Even FTDNA, which forces you to log out and back in with each individual kit number at least allows all kits to have the same email address. I must be missing something - no way they'd be that obtuse, right?

I had to create a separate account using different email addresses for my parents.

Still no word on those free ancestry estimates by the end of October yet?
No, nothing except that tweet. However, my dad did get an email about his non-existent results on 16th October saying:

We hope you are excited by your Living DNA Ancestry breakdown!

How would you like the opportunity to present your results in a new and exciting way?

Here at Living DNA, we are working on some exciting new products, and would love to get your feedback. Please follow the link below to check out some of our ideas, and let us know what you think, and if you’d be interested in any of the options.

Rubbing salt in the wound like they're laughing right at me. I actually thought it was an update at first.

Mykhailo
11-06-2018, 10:20 PM
"Status: DNA Uploaded" What does this mean?

Mykhailo
11-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Where can you find ancestral report? That they tell you to upload data from Ancestry, 23andme, etc

edwardsson
11-07-2018, 05:54 PM

I am my own twin brother as well, as I discovered after I uploaded my raw file from MyHeritage and it matches with my raw file from Living DNA. :)

I have convinced some of my closest family (my parents, my eldest son and of course my wife) to take a test at LivingDNA earlier this year. Somehow I managed to get them into my account (separated from my file of course). Do not remember if I used separated email addresses or not. Very convenient to be able to manage all the files with one login.

FionnSneachta
11-07-2018, 07:06 PM
I am my own twin brother as well, as I discovered after I uploaded my raw file from MyHeritage and it matches with my raw file from Living DNA. :)

I have convinced some of my closest family (my parents, my eldest son and of course my wife) to take a test at LivingDNA earlier this year. Somehow I managed to get them into my account (separated from my file of course). Do not remember if I used separated email addresses or not. Very convenient to be able to manage all the files with one login.

Out of curiosity, what's the % DNA shared with yourself? It has me down as sharing 100.08% of my DNA with my mum so I'd be interested to see what percentage they give for the same person.

11-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Out of curiosity, what's the % DNA shared with yourself? It has me down as sharing 100.08% of my DNA with my mum so I'd be interested to see what percentage they give for the same person.

Well for me, with my 23andme it’s got me at

Predicted Relationship: Identical twin
DNA shared: 103.30% (3589.57 cM)

mxcrowe
11-08-2018, 01:47 AM
Somehow I managed to get them into my account (separated from my file of course). Do not remember if I used separated email addresses or not. Very convenient to be able to manage all the files with one login.

I can't see how to do that. I have, of course, emailed them suggesting that the process be simplified, but no answer. Frankly, this will be the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned...I'm not going to go and create fake gmail addresses for every family member...a bridge too far. Seems to me the last thing they want to be doing at this stage is placing impediments between us and their product.

edwardsson
11-08-2018, 05:45 AM

DNA shared: 103.00% (3579.28 cM)

What's even more surprising is the fact that the percentage is higher if I compare my DNA share with my eldest son, my father and my mother (between 103.49-103.84%). But that could be that the raw file for my »identical twin» is uploaded from MyHeritage.

If I compare from my »identical twins» point of view (the MyHeritage raw file) toward my Living DNA raw file, I'll get this instead:

DNA shared: 103.00% (3579.28 cM)

And then I'll get 98.46-100.49% DNA share when I compare to my eldest son, my father and mother.

edwardsson
11-08-2018, 05:49 AM
I can't see how to do that. I have, of course, emailed them suggesting that the process be simplified, but no answer. Frankly, this will be the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned...I'm not going to go and create fake gmail addresses for every family member...a bridge too far. Seems to me the last thing they want to be doing at this stage is placing impediments between us and their product.

I had a look at the accounts and the email used, and I did use different email addresses for each and one of the people that are reachable from within my login. These are not fake addresses.

I believe that I activated their kits while already signed in to my own account, but used their email addresses and names during the activation of their kits.

Fungene
11-08-2018, 01:26 PM
Open question to anyone who has tried out Family Networks:
In 23andMe one can choose to stop participating in DNA Relatives and resume at any time. Also, one can choose, to some extent, how much information other participants get to see.

How do the privacy settings in Family Networks compare with 23andMe's in DNA Relatives?

edwardsson
11-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Open question to anyone who has tried out Family Networks:
In 23andMe one can choose to stop participating in DNA Relatives and resume at any time. Also, one can choose, to some extent, how much information other participants get to see.

How do the privacy settings in Family Networks compare with 23andMe's in DNA Relatives?

Right now there are no settings at all available to choose between. It also states that both I and the rest of my family is »OUT OF NETWORK». Hopefully, we'll be in the network soon and hopefully, the tree view will be activated as well.

timberwolf
11-14-2018, 06:38 PM
The only thing you are guaranteed with LivingDNA, is nothing, is delivered on time.

firemonkey
11-16-2018, 10:52 PM
Will I forever just be related to myself?

timberwolf
11-17-2018, 12:42 AM
Will I forever just be related to myself?

Well at least they got that right. I am in the same boat as you.

timberwolf
11-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Well my matches with myself are now gone. Replaced with a message Keep fishing.

Maybe something good is about to happen? Who knows with these guys.

FionnSneachta
11-20-2018, 08:01 PM
Well my matches with myself are now gone. Replaced with a message Keep fishing.

Maybe something good is about to happen? Who knows with these guys.

I have the same message except my match was my mum. My mum has lost her only match as well (me). My dad is still not apart of the beta networks.

JimB
11-20-2018, 09:25 PM
I had one match at Family Networks and now the match is gone.

Family Networks now says:
"We haven't caught you any matches yet

Finding new relatives means fishing for them in many databases. Spread the word and help turn this fishing pond into an ocean of new matches."

What, spread the word that Living DNA is useless? No communication or updated information from Living DNA, just blue sky promises.

JFWinstone
11-20-2018, 10:01 PM
mine And mum’s to each other have gone as well.

Robert1
11-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Our six accounts also lost every match, about 5 matches each, most known family. Maybe the beta is ending and this thing is going live?

timberwolf
11-20-2018, 10:32 PM
I had one match at Family Networks and now the match is gone.

Family Networks now says:
"We haven't caught you any matches yet

Finding new relatives means fishing for them in many databases. Spread the word and help turn this fishing pond into an ocean of new matches."

What, spread the word that Living DNA is useless? No communication or updated information from Living DNA, just blue sky promises.

I am thinking pretty much the same thing.

You could also read into it that the matching system might not be that flash because they do not have enough volunteers/guinea pigs/chumps.

They are a bit like a football manager who talks as if they are going to win the champions league, when the results are 2-0 losses every week and they are more likely to be relegated then win anything.

Gery
11-20-2018, 10:54 PM
I was not included in the beta launch, and really hope Family Networks is about to go live. I have no known close relatives that tested at Living DNA or uploaded their data there, so I expect a "still fishing" message for a long time to come, but at least that would be a start. For me, the standard match system other testing companies use would be more helpful, and hopefully someday Living DNA will use that type of matching system alongside Family Networks.

FionnSneachta
11-21-2018, 12:13 AM
I was not included in the beta launch, and really hope Family Networks is about to go live. I have no known close relatives that tested at Living DNA or uploaded their data there, so I expect a "still fishing" message for a long time to come, but at least that would be a start. For me, the standard match system other testing companies use would be more helpful, and hopefully someday Living DNA will use that type of matching system alongside Family Networks.

Yes, I agree. I'd prefer if they just released normal matching first. Once they know they can do that, then they can try out Family Networks. It's a bit like their projects. I'd prefer if they just got Ireland as a region right first before trying to find a unique DNA signature in Roscommon and Galway and all those other predicted regions in Ireland. I still have no idea how they identified these distinct regions or if they just randomly made them up hoping it would look impressive. They really don't do the stepping stones approach anyway but instead want to deliver big straight away except that it just ends up alienating and causing disillusionment among customers.

timberwolf
11-21-2018, 12:26 AM
Yes, I agree. I'd prefer if they just released normal matching first. Once they know they can do that, then they can try out Family Networks. It's a bit like their projects. I'd prefer if they just got Ireland as a region right first before trying to find a unique DNA signature in Roscommon and Galway and all those other predicted regions in Ireland. I still have no idea how they identified these distinct regions or if they just randomly made them up hoping it would look impressive. They really don't do the stepping stones approach anyway but instead want to deliver big straight away except that it just ends up alienating and causing disillusionment among customers.

Yeah it is the little things like they say on their website, you are in control of your data and you can delete your file anytime. I tried that end of last year. I sent them many requests to do so, never got one reply.

Kathlingram
11-21-2018, 04:29 PM
I get this message when I try to look at where Family Networks WAS:"We've recently updated our entire website and some links are currently in the process of relocating. Bear with us while we complete our move.
Go to Living DNA"

anyone else?

timberwolf
11-21-2018, 06:06 PM
https://www.livingdna.com/news/living-dna-november-update-you-shared-and-we-listened

What's Next
Thousands more will be given access to the Family Networks beta so keep watching your matches. If you’ve opted into Family Networks, you’re likely to see your match list before the end of the month. To help test and expand your network, you now have the ability to invite friends and family to upload to Living DNA for free and see how they match.

We will see

Nqp15hhu
11-22-2018, 03:25 PM
I have been added but I have no matches!

jdean
11-22-2018, 03:32 PM

Same here for both parents : )

Wing Genealogist
11-22-2018, 03:34 PM
I took their test in Feb 2017 and finally have been added to their Family Network. Like many folks, I don't have any matches.

I wonder how wide their matches go. I have matches as far back as 8th Cousins via AncestryDNA and likely similarly distant matches at 23andMe and FTDNA Family Finder. It appears that (at least for now) LivingDNA may be restricting matches to something like 4th or 5th cousin level?

I have distant matches from folks who never left Europe, as well as from Australians. Since most of my ancestry comes from "Great Migration" Colonists to New England, it appears these matches go back about 400+ years.

Has anyone asked them how far their matches will be in their Family Network?

atlant91
11-22-2018, 04:20 PM
I wonder how wide their matches go.

As far as I can remember, they said, they will start with the close matches and from time to time give access to more distant matches. That shall help to build up the family network (the actual network, not only the matching list) better, when it goes live.

timberwolf
11-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Well I just received this email form them

Hi there,

We're very excited to share that you are in the next group of users to gain access to our Family Networks beta!

As a beta customer, we’re looking for your help to determine if the predicted relationship and amount of shared DNA with people in your match list is as expected. We know that not all of the functionality is there yet. We first want to ensure that we get great results for as wide a range of customers as possible.

With this tool you'll be able to see your DNA matches. It's important to know that we're not a records company, so matches are based on shared DNA only and will only show those who have opted in to our beta group.

You might find that you have very few matches at this stage, if any at all. Don't worry - this is just the beginning. Your match list will grow as the database increases. We expect to be updating our systems every 2 weeks, meaning you should check back regularly to see if you have more matches. You can also encourage family and friends to upload their DNA into Family Networks for FREE, or you can always purchase a Living DNA test for a relative and have them opt into Family Networks. Our 3-in-1 DNA ancestry tests are now on sale in our Black Friday sale with up to 40% off.

Thanks as always for being a loyal Living DNA customer,

Living DNA

And I all I got was the matches with myself again. Not quite the match list I would have expected. I am not sure my opinion of this company, can get any lower

Total and utter joke.

mxcrowe
11-22-2018, 06:29 PM
Well I just received this email form them

Hi there...

Same. Actually, it would have been nice to have received a similar 'warning letter' prior to my first invitation to the beta - that would have avoided the disappointment of discovering that I matched only to my own kits. These are little things, but so important to get right when you're trying to build rapport with your early adopters. The positive view is that it's all down to growing pains, but I fear that these guys don't appreciate how competitive the market is. I always thought they had a unique opportunity to really do things right, but they need to stop screwing up the easy parts.

Kathlingram
11-22-2018, 06:32 PM
Guess I should be Thankful.. I am Thankful I saw what ya'll were posting or would not have looked at the email account I had to make JUST for Living DNA

timberwolf
11-22-2018, 06:38 PM
Same. Actually, it would have been nice to have received a similar 'warning letter' prior to my first invitation to the beta - that would have avoided the disappointment of discovering that I matched only to my own kits. These are little things, but so important to get right when you're trying to build rapport with your early adopters. The positive view is that it's all down to growing pains, but I fear that these guys don't appreciate how competitive the market is. I always thought they had a unique opportunity to really do things right, but they need to stop screwing up the easy parts.

Checking through various forums, they seem to have alienated a lot of their customers. The growing pains part of the argument does not wash with me, as they have had more than a year to get it right.

It seems that some people may have got Ancestry estimates through FMP. I thought I uploaded a kit through that partnership, got nothing.

mxcrowe
11-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Guess I should be Thankful.. I am Thankful I saw what ya'll were posting or would not have looked at the email account I had to make JUST for Living DNA

Yeah, I just read the blurb that Timberwolf posted earlier about "You Shared and we Listened" -- I certainly hope they are. I manage 8 kits on various testing and post-processing services, so making a separate email from every one of these kits would be extremely cumbersome, to say the least. I am going to test the system and see if I can upload a kit for another of my family members and associate it with my existing account (and more importantly) my existing email address.

mxcrowe
11-22-2018, 06:46 PM
It seems that some people may have got Ancestry estimates through FMP. I thought I uploaded a kit through that partnership, got nothing.

That brings up an interesting question: I get lots of matches on Genesis that are from LivingDNA...so are they throttling my matches on LDNA or what's going on? My highest match on Genesis is like 70cM and is from LDNA! What's up with the beta?

timberwolf
11-22-2018, 06:56 PM
That brings up an interesting question: I get lots of matches on Genesis that are from LivingDNA...so are they throttling my matches on LDNA or what's going on? My highest match on Genesis is like 70cM and is from LDNA! What's up with the beta?

Yes I get the same on gedmatch genesis and I am/was hoping LDNA matching system would answer some of those questions.

mxcrowe
11-22-2018, 07:08 PM
I just tested the process for uploading a kit that I manage. Takes me to a page where I need to create a new account for that kit (ok, cumbersome, but others do the same, like FTDNA), but when I enter my email address, it errors out saying that username and email address has already been used. There is no way I'm going to maintain and check 9 different email addresses all the time to see if a match has tried to reach out to me (my kit plus the 8 others I manage for family). Honestly, this is just unnecessarily foolish...I was hoping "they listened", but apparently they have not yet heard that making users create a separate email account for every kit they manage is idiotic.

FionnSneachta
11-22-2018, 08:13 PM
My mum and I are back are back in Family Networks beta. My dad is also in beta now but has no matches and is told to keep fishing. I can only conclude that we mustn't be related.

Kathlingram
11-22-2018, 08:42 PM
When do we add our Tree? I do have my grandparents names down but see no place to upload..??

MitchellSince1893
11-22-2018, 10:28 PM

Ditto for my dad's kit. Added today but no matches.

kiterunner
11-22-2018, 11:27 PM
I have two matches, both estimated as 5th cousins. One is also a match to me on My Heritage so I know he is 100% Ashkenazi Jewish and probably not that closely related to me (I have about 9 - 12% Ashkenazi Jewish DNA and I have read articles explaining why estimates of degree of relationship are often going to be closer than they really are.) I don't know about the other one as I haven't found him as a match on any other sites yet.

MacEochaidh
11-23-2018, 02:01 AM
Got my email today, but no matches; "Keep Fishing". So, basically what LDNA is telling me is that if I get my own DNA relations to upload to LDNA, then LDNA will find them as matches for me! Brilliant!!

Gery
11-23-2018, 04:04 AM
Timberwolf wrote- "And I all I got was the matches with myself again. Not quite the match list I would have expected. I am not sure my opinion of this company, can get any lower

Total and utter joke."

Timberwolf, you summed up my feelings pretty well.

msmarjoribanks
11-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Bunch of people I know just got matching (they mostly have around one match, but not known relatives, so that's good). I still don't have matching.

Gery
11-23-2018, 06:29 PM
Bunch of people I know just got matching (they mostly have around one match, but not known relatives, so that's good). I still don't have matching.

People getting matches of relatives they don't know is wonderful news.

Mykhailo
11-23-2018, 06:36 PM
I got 0 matches.

Here is results for Ukrainian:

Mykhailo
11-23-2018, 06:37 PM
I swear, on me, all these company is steal my data and then they use it for Eastern Europe reference.

Ohio
11-24-2018, 02:56 AM
Vertellis vertellis! Why do you think that?

emc
11-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Will those who update their data for free (like me) get some kind of ethnicity estimate or only matches?

Exosuits
11-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Will those who update their data for free (like me) get some kind of ethnicity estimate or only matches?

I uploaded my raw data in July, I have only 3 matches since beta testing was released and the ethnicity estimate just came in yesterday.

emc
11-24-2018, 05:49 PM
I uploaded my raw data in July, I have only 3 matches since beta testing was released and the ethnicity estimate just came in yesterday.

Thanks for the info!
I still cant see mine, though. I'll keep waiting.

Exosuits
11-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info!
I still cant see mine, though. I'll keep waiting.

After you have clicked on My Tests, try clicking on the Research tab, then Test Details. Worked for some, not for others

csb
12-01-2018, 05:09 AM
So now I've got 5 pages worth of 'relatives' totaling 45. A couple are estimated at 4th cousin with by far most of them at 5th cousin. Keeping in mind I'm Ashkenazi at this point I have every reason to believe this will play out the same scenario of 1000's of matches that are far beyond any genealogical relevance. But who knows, perhaps their algorithm could still surprise me. The buttons for the chromosome browser or to message these people remain inactive.

timberwolf
12-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Lucky you. I still just match myself.

firemonkey
12-01-2018, 10:39 AM
Well at least I'm still related to myself. When I click and I'm not I'll know there are real problems.

Gery
12-01-2018, 05:05 PM
So now I've got 5 pages worth of 'relatives' totaling 45. A couple are estimated at 4th cousin with by far most of them at 5th cousin. Keeping in mind I'm Ashkenazi at this point I have every reason to believe this will play out the same scenario of 1000's of matches that are far beyond any genealogical relevance. But who knows, perhaps their algorithm could still surprise me. The buttons for the chromosome browser or to message these people remain inactive.

CSB, did you have 45 matches from the beginning? Or, did the matches appear at some point after? My hope is that all of us will begin to get more matches soon.

csb
12-02-2018, 12:01 AM
Months ago I originally had 30 on a single page that said 'Out of Network' when they emailed me that my beta went live. Then I lost all of them one day about a month ago. Then less than thirty came back on a single page a few days later. And when I checked two days ago is when I noticed there were now 5 pages with each page capable of having ten entries, and they removed the 'Out of Network' tag.

timberwolf
12-06-2018, 07:47 PM
When is the next round of matches due? I am a bit over, just matching myself.

edwardsson
12-08-2018, 07:56 PM
When is the next round of matches due? I am a bit over, just matching myself.

Who knows? Hopefully, it will be before Christmas, but my guess is as good as anyone else.

Up till now, I'm only matching myself (with a help of an uploaded raw file from MyHeritage together with another raw file from Living DNA), and those of my family that have been tested by Living DNA. I really hoped some more matches, even if it's in the beta stage.

Kathlingram
12-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Well finally my BETA shows Family Networks shows something. Can I hope that things will progress ?
My son's profile which I uploaded ( time #2 ) about 3 weeks ago)
"Predicted Relationship: Parent/Child/Sibling DNA shared:47.79% (3465.79 cM)"

Looks like that sharing is close to accurate.. Now why can Gedmatch Genesis get other matches for me and MyHeritage also? Most of them are 5th cousins however..

csb
12-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Updated this morning. I now have 9 pages of mostly '5th cousin' matches for a total of 88 people. I do recognize a couple of the names in my match list from the other major sites keeping in mind I have almost 1100 cousins listed in 23andme, and almost 14000 on Ancestry.

firemonkey
12-21-2018, 05:09 PM
All this expectation for nothing.