PDA

View Full Version : Living DNA at RootsTech 18 (Irish/German/Scottish Project update)

AntG
03-16-2018, 08:18 PM
Apologies if already posted but here is the presentation by Living DNA at RootsTech 18.
I've attached screenshots regarding some updates on the regionalisation projects...
https://www.rootstech.org/video/dna-one-family-one-world

(Click thumbnails to enlarge)

03-18-2018, 05:43 PM
Only 20% complete!?! The whole reason I ordered the Living DNA test was to get a thorough breakdown of my Shetland and Orkney ancestry

I feel like I should have waited now

sktibo
03-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Fantastic, they've actually progressed. Might live to see some of these, thank you for the update. I'm quite thrilled to see they have actually started collecting for the Scotland project.

Autosomal transfers and these new regional breakdowns might put Living DNA on top... I'm hoping anyhow.

timberwolf
03-18-2018, 06:21 PM
Fantastic, they've actually progressed. Might live to see some of these, thank you for the update. I'm quite thrilled to see they have actually started collecting for the Scotland project.

Autosomal transfers and these new regional breakdowns might put Living DNA on top... I'm hoping anyhow.

Wait and see

The new matching system has a far more tangible feel to it, as it has been announced etc.

Still a bit annoyed by the miscommunication regarding the initial raw data uploads and ethnicity estimates last October.

They are certainly ambitious I will give them that.

MacEochaidh
03-20-2018, 03:24 AM
I thought it was horrible for Living DNA to go after Irish testers for St. Patrick's Day, when they know full well their Irish database is not good enough to give a decent determination of Irish ancestry. Just yesterday a Belfast friend got his DNA results and he showed 0.0% Irish. Like me, he got Northwest Scotland and related ancestry. Had I not been with him at the time he would have believed that he had no Irish ancestry. I'm certain he is one of thousands.

FionnSneachta
03-20-2018, 07:23 PM
I thought it was horrible for Living DNA to go after Irish testers for St. Patrick's Day, when they know full well their Irish database is not good enough to give a decent determination of Irish ancestry. Just yesterday a Belfast friend got his DNA results and he showed 0.0% Irish. Like me, he got Northwest Scotland and related ancestry. Had I not been with him at the time he would have believed that he had no Irish ancestry. I'm certain he is one of thousands.

I have to agree with this. Although the more samples tested the better, it's only going to leave people disappointed and confused. I didn't like that they were specifically targeting a group that they don't have a proper reference set up for yet. Only last week on Twitter, someone asked Living DNA why they didn't have any Irish DNA in their results. The reply was that the way DNA is inherited is completely random so even if you have Irish ancestry they may not have passed the DNA to you. There was no mention at all of the Irish reference population being inadequate and that there was a project in the works. I messaged the person to let them know that there was a research project in the works and that even completely Irish people get low percentages for Ireland with Living DNA. I'm surprised that some people who aren't completely Irish manage to get as high percentages as they do. Considering I get 19.6% Ireland with them, it's no surprise that someone with one great grandparent or even one grandparent who was Irish doesn't get any percentage but it's those people who will be left the most confused by the results.

Loderingo
03-21-2018, 12:54 PM
I watched the Rootstech presentation and found it really interesting, although I'm slightly sceptical that all the school kids came from far flung places and not Essex....

Looking forward to seeing the new matching in action.

03-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Just watched the video. Jesus. I wish they would drop the whole "we're all one people, one world" bullcrap, no one cares

greerpalmer
03-22-2018, 02:51 PM
I'm surprised the German project was started so much later than Irish project and is only 20% behind.
I would have thought the Scottish and Irish projects would have been done in Tandem so there is so much crossover. I'm apprehensive that they may realize this after the fact and delay updates.

Although I'm predominately Irish and that is likely the most under-represented group in my results besides German, I think the Scottish piece will be most interesting for my results as I currently get 20% Northumbria with no known ancestry within the Northumbrian geography besides the Scottish parts.

Canadian Cousin
03-22-2018, 04:00 PM

It would be much better if they warned people before testing - my maternal grandparents were both Irish (back to my 2xgreat-grandparents on that side, which is as far as I've been able to trace), so I expected to show 50% Irish ancestry, Instead, the test results indicated only 24% Irish, with roughly 20% from various subregions in Scotland and Cumbria. I was starting to wonder about my grandmother until I read of others who had similar experiences. I don't mind waiting, although it's been longer than I expected, but I wish that the company would acknowledge this problem publicly.

Loderingo
03-23-2018, 12:41 PM
Germany has a much bigger population than Ireland and Scotland so it should be easier to get the samples

warwick
03-29-2018, 04:59 PM

One item: a number of companies provide widely different estimates:

My own personal example:

Ancestry.com 10% Irish,Scottish,Welsh
MyHeritage: 36.8% Irish, Scottish, Welsh
23andme: 32.2% British and Irish
Living DNA: Ireland: 0%

The case can be made that the estimates from these companies have some real problems with accuracy.

MacEochaidh
03-29-2018, 06:28 PM
One item: a number of companies provide widely different estimates:

My own personal example:

Ancestry.com 10% Irish,Scottish,Welsh
MyHeritage: 36.8% Irish, Scottish, Welsh
23andme: 32.2% British and Irish
Living DNA: Ireland: 0%

The case can be made that the estimates from these companies have some real problems with accuracy.

Even when the others are bad Living DNA is the worst. Judging by this Living DNA is the testing company least likely to discern Irish ancestry, yet they advertised for Irish testers during their St. Patrick's Day special. Despicable.

warwick
03-29-2018, 06:32 PM
Even when the others are bad Living DNA is the worst. Judging by this Living DNA is the testing company least likely to discern Irish ancestry, yet they advertised for Irish testers during their St. Patrick's Day special. Despicable.

To be honest, these companies have a "truth in advertising problem."

Robert1
03-30-2018, 09:43 PM
I'm fairly happy with my Living DNA results even though my Irish and German are slightly under reported at 6% and 0% respectively. (Should be about 15% and 4-5%) Wales is a bit low at 12%, should be about 18-20%. My Scottish is good at 29% but I look forward to more sub-regional sampling there.

These updates do worry me. For example the Irish update may incorrectly pull from Scotland and Wales instead of England which is about 20% high. And that Germany may increase over the 5% I expect.

I wish Wales and Welsh Borders updates were included, to protect from Ireland from sucking away too much and also to better compare Welsh Borders and Central/South England.

Loderingo
04-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Robert - I too would like to see a little bit of love for Wales in due course, particularly considering that Powys didn't seem to have been sampled in the original POBI study.

There are also quite a few areas of England that need more samples e.g. Somerset, Wiltshire, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Surrey

Jessie
04-15-2018, 07:53 AM
I'm fairly happy with my Living DNA results even though my Irish and German are slightly under reported at 6% and 0% respectively. (Should be about 15% and 4-5%) Wales is a bit low at 12%, should be about 18-20%. My Scottish is good at 29% but I look forward to more sub-regional sampling there.

These updates do worry me. For example the Irish update may incorrectly pull from Scotland and Wales instead of England which is about 20% high. And that Germany may increase over the 5% I expect.

I wish Wales and Welsh Borders updates were included, to protect from Ireland from sucking away too much and also to better compare Welsh Borders and Central/South England.

Judging from my results and family Irish people's results are all over the place. While I get a high Irish at 47% the next highest is Scottish regions, then English and then Wales. Brother's results are Ireland at 49.1%, the next highest is English regions, then Scottish, then Wales and Scandinavia at 9%. Daughter though only gets 11.7% Ireland and her highest region is Southeast England at 16.4%. She gets quite high Scottish with 12.2 Northwest Scottish, 11.3% Southwest Scottish and Northern Ireland, 5.5% Aberdeenshire and 2.1% Orkney. Her full Wales is 6.1%. All English regions added up is highest at 50.3%. She also gets some Sardinia, Scandinavia and Pashtun.

sktibo
04-15-2018, 09:07 PM

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I don't know much about this but I have a little experience playing with some relatively basic tools, and I don't think that getting as many categories as possible is going to result in great DNA test results. I think it's going to splinter (we're gonna get a bunch of 1.6% or other miniscule percentage results in strange regions) and as you put it "suck away" from other related categories. It is very cool that they are trying to map Ireland (though a little late as the IDA did that not too long ago now and I doubt Living DNA will do better at collecting samples...) but I think 13 or whatever number of categories for Ireland is too many just as I think they have too many categories for England.
But here's to hoping we are wrong about this eh?

Hatton1995
05-07-2018, 01:42 AM
Does anyone have an update on the irish project being implemented? Also, wouldn't it make more sense to release the update when both the scottish and irish projects are completed? Living Dna is kinda rnweird because i know for a fact i have quite a bit of irish ancestry but next to no irish was reported at all except for a possible 5 percent northen ireland. And 23andme predicted i had 26 percent german but absolutely no german at all, not even a hint.

msmarjoribanks
05-08-2018, 11:33 AM
I'm another who didn't get any Irish or Scottish, although I know I have some. Interested in the update.

Jessie
05-15-2018, 01:09 PM
I'll email LivingDNA again. I gave them my mother's raw dna and they said they would let me know more once the project was implemented in the New Year. This was last year. This is all taking a very long time.

timberwolf
05-15-2018, 06:56 PM
I'll email LivingDNA again. I gave them my mother's raw dna and they said they would let me know more once the project was implemented in the New Year. This was last year. This is all taking a very long time.

Good luck with that Jesse.

I have emailed them repeatedly about the family networks, and I have never received any reply. So in regards any projects they are actually running, believe it when you see it.

mike86
05-22-2018, 03:57 PM
I have tested several companies and the most complete in ancestry is 24Genetics (https://24genetics.it/) with more than 400 regions. It is the most complete ancestry test I have found until date

sktibo
05-23-2018, 04:03 AM
Any news on any kind of Living DNA update?

timberwolf
05-23-2018, 04:11 AM
Any news on any kind of Living DNA update?

It's a bit like waiting on that Ancestydna update. It was 28 days ago since I received that email stating it would be 2-4 weeks.

What are they all waiting on, the next Canadian team to win the Stanley cup?

sktibo
05-24-2018, 01:49 AM
It's a bit like waiting on that Ancestydna update. It was 28 days ago since I received that email stating it would be 2-4 weeks.

What are they all waiting on, the next Canadian team to win the Stanley cup?

I caved and asked them on facebook, here's what they told me:

"Its still being worked on but I have heard that we are now closer than ever before to getting the panels updated to reflect the hard work that the research team have been putting in. Fingers crossed that we will all see some changes by the end of this year. Kate @ Living DNA"

timberwolf
05-24-2018, 02:07 AM
I caved and asked them on facebook, here's what they told me:

"Its still being worked on but I have heard that we are now closer than ever before to getting the panels updated to reflect the hard work that the research team have been putting in. Fingers crossed that we will all see some changes by the end of this year. Kate @ Living DNA"

Can you ask them when the beta version of their family networks is being rolled out? please

Jessie
05-24-2018, 02:25 AM
I did get a reply but not about the Irish update which I specifically asked for. My mother's dna was sent in for this. :)

Thanks for getting in touch.

The Living DNA One Family One World project is a long term project designed to run over 5 years. Although we cannot confirm whether your mother's sample will be used in our research, all those who have transferred data to us will be receiving free access to our Family Networks service once it becomes available as a thank you for taking part.

As part of the project, all data and information submitted to us will need to be quality controlled, verified and and compiled securely. Only once this has been done, can we then make the matching service available to you.

Our aim is to have this in place as quickly as we can, and we would expect to have this live by August 2018 (estimated completion date). But don't forget to keep an eye on social media and our website for updates, as if we are able to do this sooner we will.

Warmest regards,

Billie

timberwolf
05-24-2018, 05:15 AM
I did get a reply but not about the Irish update which I specifically asked for. My mother's dna was sent in for this. :)

Thanks for getting in touch.

The Living DNA One Family One World project is a long term project designed to run over 5 years. Although we cannot confirm whether your mother's sample will be used in our research, all those who have transferred data to us will be receiving free access to our Family Networks service once it becomes available as a thank you for taking part.

As part of the project, all data and information submitted to us will need to be quality controlled, verified and and compiled securely. Only once this has been done, can we then make the matching service available to you.

Our aim is to have this in place as quickly as we can, and we would expect to have this live by August 2018 (estimated completion date). But don't forget to keep an eye on social media and our website for updates, as if we are able to do this sooner we will.

Warmest regards,

Billie

Thanks Jesse. At least you got a response.

Still no mention of the private Beta version of family networks that was supposed to becoming available by end of April.