PDA

View Full Version : How much West Asian DNA in Eastern Europeans?

memianec88
03-27-2018, 12:31 AM
Hi there! I was hoping to see how common it is for those with Eastern European ancestry to also have West Asian DNA. Thank you for your thoughts :)

yelmex
03-27-2018, 12:50 AM
Well it depends on the part of Eastern Europe we are referring to.

memianec88
03-27-2018, 11:53 AM
I am curious about the different parts of Eastern Europe and how typical it is to have West Asian DNA :). Personally, some of my ancestors came from Poland at the time of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. GED match calculators consistently propose 10% West Asian DNA.

lukaszM
03-27-2018, 05:12 PM
I am curious about the different parts of Eastern Europe and how typical it is to have West Asian DNA :). Personally, some of my ancestors came from Poland at the time of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. GED match calculators consistently propose 10% West Asian DNA.

You are of Ashkenazi or Slavic ancestry?

memianec88
03-28-2018, 02:00 AM
You are of Ashkenazi or Slavic ancestry?

I have mixed ancestry. My paper trail includes Poland and then one couple who shuffled between Poland-Germany and Poland-Russia, along with Germany, Holland, and Prussia. That’s as far as I’ve come so far :)

JonikW
04-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Slavic expertise needed please: I posted similarly on the Caucasus forum but could use some advice here. (My wife has 10.8% Western Asia on 23amdme.) She is from Georgia; known ancestry 25% Georgia (Kakhetia), 75% Russia (Urals + Kursk region). Her 23and me results are just in but not yet phased with our son. She hasn't tested anywhere else. Does the level of Balkans and Italy below look expected? I notice she has some cousin matches on the first couple of pages with Romanian surnames. Her Russian cousin matches show pretty much 100% Eastern Europe Russia when I look at their individual breakdowns. So does this mean her results are considerably out from the expected 75% Russian?
Her Gedmatch Genesis kit is NS4188352 (I only have access to a smartphone and the formatting messed up when I tried to post oracles here.)

- European 87.3%
- Eastern European 38.6% Russia
- Balkan 27.9%
- Italian 7.8%
- Finnish 0.9%
- Sardinian 0.4%
- Broadly Southern European 5.9%
- Broadly Northwestern European 1.3%
- Broadly European 4.6%

- Western Asian & North African12.0%
- Western Asian10.8%
- Broadly Western Asian & North African1.2%