PDA

View Full Version : British results from Kent

deuterium_1
03-31-2018, 07:25 PM
Hi all

A friend of mine from Maidstone, Kent had himself tested on My Heritage where his results were the following:

49.4%
English
27.1%
Scandinavian
11.5%
Greek
4.4%
Finnish
7.6%
4 more ethnicities (didn't specify, just vague reasons)

Where could the Scandinavian be from?

Here are his GED match results on MDLP K16:

Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
1 Neolithic 29.6
2 NorthEastEuropean 26.35
3 Steppe 24.22
4 Caucasian 18.63
5 NorthAfrican 0.9
6 SouthEastAsian 0.29

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
1 Irish (Connacht) 2.68
2 Scottish (Dumfries_Galloway) 2.78
3 English (Kent) 3.09
4 Shetlandic (Shetland_Islands) 3.09
5 Scottish (Highlands) 3.13
6 French (WestFrance) 3.14
7 English (Cornwall) 3.21
8 Scottish (Grampian) 3.23
9 English (England) 3.43
10 Scottish (Fife) 3.46
11 Irish (Munster) 3.47
12 Irish (Cork_Kerry) 3.51
13 Irish (Leinster) 3.63
14 Irish (Ulster) 3.67
15 Scottish (Borders) 3.87
16 Dutch (Netherlands) 4.32
17 Scottish (Argyll_bute) 4.73
18 Orcadian (Orkney_Islands) 4.85
19 Welsh (Wales) 5.14
20 German (Germany) 5.2

Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

# Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
1 52.6% Scottish (Argyll_bute) + 47.4% German (Germany) @ 1.62
2 52% Orcadian (Orkney_Islands) + 48% German (Germany) @ 1.82
3 96% English (Kent) + 4% Georgian (Tbilisi) @ 2.12
4 95.3% English (Kent) + 4.7% Adygei (Adygea) @ 2.14
5 95.3% English (Kent) + 4.7% Chechen (Chechnya) @ 2.18
6 95.7% English (Kent) + 4.3% Georgian (Megrelia) @ 2.19
7 95.3% English (Kent) + 4.7% Balkar (Kabardino-Balkaria) @ 2.19
8 81.1% English (Kent) + 18.9% Croat (Croatia) @ 2.19
9 63.3% English (Kent) + 36.7% Dutch (Netherlands) @ 2.21
10 96% English (Kent) + 4% Turk (Trabzon) @ 2.23
11 84% English (Kent) + 16% Serbian (Bosnia-Herzegovina) @ 2.23
12 95.2% English (Kent) + 4.8% Kumyk (Dagestan) @ 2.24
13 78.6% Orcadian (Orkney_Islands) + 21.4% Italian (Bergamo) @ 2.26
14 71.4% English (Kent) + 28.6% German_Lipsian ((Saxony)) @ 2.27
15 95.8% English (Kent) + 4.2% Abhkasian (Abkhasia) @ 2.27
16 88.6% English (Kent) + 11.4% Bulgarian (Bulgaria) @ 2.27
17 95.5% English (Kent) + 4.5% Abkhazian_Lykhny (Lykhny) @ 2.27
18 56.7% Scottish (Dumfries_Galloway) + 43.3% English (Kent) @ 2.28
19 76.9% Irish (Connacht) + 23.1% German (Germany) @ 2.28
20 95.8% English (Kent) + 4.2% Georgians (Zugdidi) @ 2.28

spruithean
06-22-2018, 02:21 PM
The Scandinavian could come from anywhere, but Kent was settled by Anglo-Saxons, who originated in NW Germany and Denmark.

msmarjoribanks
06-22-2018, 02:54 PM
It's really common to get Scandinavian for English, especially eastern English. Ancestry does it a lot, but I expect MyHeritage does too.

For example, my sister and I are part Swedish (about 12.5%) but on Ancestry my sister gets 43% Scandinavian, and based on the other results most of that should be identified as English/Great Britain (which is the largest part of our heritage based both on pretty certain paper research and other tests).

(When my sister's results came in she said to me "I didn't know I had so much Scandinavian ancestry," and I said "you don't," although to be fair we could have a decent amount and my dad has perfect mtDNA matches with people in Scandinavia and northern Germany even though we have his mtDNA line back to a woman born in the 1500s in Suffolk (who is also the ancestor of most of his other perfect mtDNA matches). A good chunk of our English ancestry is from the southeast of England. Worth noting is that even in more sophisticated studies historical Danish inputs (i.e., Scandinavian) are very difficult or impossible to separate from Anglo-Saxon.)

Finn
06-22-2018, 04:50 PM
@msmajoribanks @deuterium This is wat member Huijbregts figured.....I get results like you. Anglo-Saxon/Nordic.
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13393-Davidski-s-Global-25-nMonte-results&p=420408&viewfull=1#post420408
If I'm well there were some of the same tribes that went to Friesland as to Kent!

JonikW
06-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Kent also has some of the most interesting Anglo-Saxon burials and artefacts discovered in England, such as the 244 inhumation graves found at Buckland in 1994. Would love to see those sequenced....
My favourite objects though are two fifth to sixth century runestones, which were found in 1830 near Sandwich. They are unique because they are the only known surviving pagan grave markers from the period. One of the stones spells out the name Raehaebul. Here's a pic I took of them at a small museum in Canterbury. You can almost see the warbands of Hengist and Horsa when you gaze on them.

Govan
06-22-2018, 11:53 PM
msmarjoribank; The Mtdna could be from the Angles who brought their wives to Suffolk. more rare would be a viking woman

JerryS.
06-23-2018, 12:47 AM
what is the explanation for the 11.5% Greek?

spruithean
06-23-2018, 02:19 AM
what is the explanation for the 11.5% Greek?

A Greek ancestor they don't know about?

JerryS.
06-23-2018, 02:31 AM

well yeah, but I didn't want to be the one to say it. its like the Jewish guy with a Y haplogrpup from Scandinavia but doesn't know how it happened.

Sikeliot
06-23-2018, 03:37 AM
The Greek ancestry could be filling in for that unknown and mysterious Mediterranean affinity in southern England that has been discussed on this forum that might be from the Roman era or earlier.

JonikW
06-23-2018, 08:59 AM
How good is My Heritage? Does it sometimes throw in ancestry that isn't really there? Just a thought.

JerryS.
06-23-2018, 03:18 PM
The Greek ancestry could be filling in for that unknown and mysterious Mediterranean affinity in southern England that has been discussed on this forum that might be from the Roman era or earlier.

you're far more versed at this stuff than I am, so I have to ask if you think it is truly probable that ~1,600 years later.... Roman'esk DNA (presumably from the Med) would still show that much (11.5%) in an Englishman without having it reintroduced within the past 100 years? i figured it would have been watered down to next to nothing by now had it been from Roman times.

msmarjoribanks
06-23-2018, 03:22 PM
How good is My Heritage? Does it sometimes throw in ancestry that isn't really there? Just a thought.

Other than the 1.5% or so Nigerian they seem to like to toss in for nearly everyone for the last 6 months or so (I'm not actually sure they are still doing it)? ;-)

More seriously, that reminded me that my mom gets 5.6% Greek with MyHeritage, which I seriously doubt has anything to do with her actual ancestry. Not as high, but still.

JerryS.
06-23-2018, 03:59 PM
Other than the 1.5% or so Nigerian they seem to like to toss in for nearly everyone for the last 6 months or so (I'm not actually sure they are still doing it)? ;-)

More seriously, that reminded me that my mom gets 5.6% Greek with MyHeritage, which I seriously doubt has anything to do with her actual ancestry. Not as high, but still.

a while back i tried my kit three different times with MyHeritage and got 1.3% Nigerian each time. i simply gave up on them.

Jessie
06-24-2018, 03:14 AM

They give people Ashkenazi Jewish a lot. Lots of Irish people get this including myself on MyHeritage. There was a very small Jewish presence in Ireland and with MyHeritage in particular too many Irish showing up with this.

JerryS.
06-24-2018, 03:39 AM
They give people Ashkenazi Jewish a lot. Lots of Irish people get this including myself on MyHeritage. There was a very small Jewish presence in Ireland and with MyHeritage in particular too many Irish showing up with this.

you list your maternal haplogroups as J1, isn't that middle eastern origin?

Idwaajeden
06-24-2018, 03:40 AM

I am looking my new matches Gedmatch now highlight in GREEN for new. This is odd match, Eurogenes K13

1 91.4% West_Scottish + 8.6% Assyrian @ 2.07
2 92.2% Irish + 7.8% Iranian_Jewish @ 2.11

Im forsure not West Scottish or Irish, to check segments I can utilize chromosome painter that will likely showing West Asian, Middle Eastern, East Med shared components.

Jessie
06-24-2018, 05:19 AM
you list your maternal haplogroups as J1, isn't that middle eastern origin?

I'm J1c3f which has been in Europe since the Neolithic. I doubt that Ashkenazi Jewish would be picked up from that. I have had the full mitochondrial sequencing done at FTDNA and my closest matches are Irish, Norwegian, Swedish and the Russian Federation. I think J1c has had a particularly long time in Europe. Even in the Icelandic study there was a few Js in the original Icelanders.

If it was just me getting Ashkenazi Jewish I would be intrigued but so many other Irish get it and not just Irish either. Too many people getting it. I don't get it on any other tests and nothing remotely similar shows up in Gedmatch. I wouldn't put any stock in it.

deuterium_1
08-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Apologies for the delay in replying.

Kent has long had a connection with continental Europe so who knows

My friend is from Maidstone which apparently has a good amount of Anglo-Saxon archaeology?.

I have attached a map of Romanisation in Britain.

JonikW
08-22-2018, 09:29 AM

My friend is from Maidstone which apparently has a good amount of Anglo-Saxon archaeology?.

Yes, a lot of Anglo-Saxon sites in the area including the reputed grave of Horsa. The town museum is tiny but has one of the best collections of Migration Period artefacts that you will find anywhere.
ADD: Here's a pic I took of one of several cases there. I love how it's just an honest old-fashioned display with no distractions.

deuterium_1
08-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Yes, a lot of Anglo-Saxon sites in the area including the reputed grave of Horsa. The town museum is tiny but has one of the best collections of Migration Period artefacts that you will find anywhere.

I did my undergraduate degree in Canterbury but unfortunately haven't had a chance to visit Maidstone as I never really ventured outside the town (not even to Whitstable. I am curious to visit the museum now.

ADD: Here's a pic I took of one of several cases there. I love how it's just an honest old-fashioned display with no distractions.

25411[/QUOTE]

Impressive, I must visit Maidstone one day.

I have a fragment of an Anglo Saxon Bronze cup, it is gilted with intricate floral decorations.

So it is highly likely that my friend's ancestors were Saxon migrants?. He apparently has some "Traveller" admixture in his family too.

JonikW
08-22-2018, 06:08 PM
I did my undergraduate degree in Canterbury but unfortunately haven't had a chance to visit Maidstone as I never really ventured outside the town (not even to Whitstable. I am curious to visit the museum now.

Impressive, I must visit Maidstone one day.

I have a fragment of an Anglo Saxon Bronze cup, it is gilted with intricate floral decorations.

So it is highly likely that my friend's ancestors were Saxon migrants?. He apparently has some "Traveller" admixture in his family too.[/QUOTE]

There's a museum in Canterbury with an important and fascinating.collection too, as I posted earlier. Does you friend know his haplogroups? I haven't tested where he did so don't know if that's included. That might give us a clue on his paternal and maternal lines at least

Saetro
08-22-2018, 07:44 PM

Will be nearby next month.
Hope to make a visit. Thanks for mentioning it.
Lived in the area long ago.

A few years ago there were archaeological excavations in the area, with an exhibition in the town "CSI: Sittingbourne".
Where did the Anglo-Saxon artifacts go that they found?
Are they in Maidstone?

deuterium_1
08-22-2018, 08:08 PM
There's a museum in Canterbury with an important and fascinating.collection too, as I posted earlier. Does you friend know his haplogroups? I haven't tested where he did so don't know if that's included. That might give us a clue on his paternal and maternal lines at least

Where is it exactly?.

Unfortunately not as he used MyHeritage.

A few years ago there were archaeological excavations in the area, with an exhibition in the town "CSI: Sittingbourne".
Are they in Maidstone?

Apparently they are in Maidstone.

JonikW
08-22-2018, 08:09 PM

Are they in Maidstone?

I haven't seen them in Maidstone. I missed that exhibition but I think it was small from what I saw online at the time. I'd like to know where those artefacts are now. Definitely check out Maidstone museum and the one I mentioned in Canterbury. There's also a Roman museum in Canterbury with a helmet that may have been left in Caesar's invasions, among other fascinating objects. If you're venturing a bit further, the Norwich museum collection is almost as good as the national museum in Copenhagen. That really is off the scale.

Anglecynn
08-22-2018, 08:31 PM
Hi all

A friend of mine from Maidstone, Kent had himself tested on My Heritage where his results were the following:

49.4%
English
27.1%
Scandinavian
11.5%
Greek
4.4%
Finnish
7.6%
4 more ethnicities (didn't specify, just vague reasons)

Where could the Scandinavian be from?

Here are his GED match results on MDLP K16:

Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
1 Neolithic 29.6
2 NorthEastEuropean 26.35
3 Steppe 24.22
4 Caucasian 18.63
5 NorthAfrican 0.9
6 SouthEastAsian 0.29

His K16 results are almost identical to mine (although i have no southeast Asian but just under 1% Indian instead) - Ancestry is largely from south & east England (including Kent - probably about 1/8 of my ancestry is from Kent). So perhaps they are somewhat typical for the south?

1 Neolithic 29.12
2 NorthEastEuropean 26.03
3 Steppe 24.4
4 Caucasian 18.11
5 NorthAfrican 1.16
6 Indian 1.09
7 Ancestor 0.08
8 EastAfrican 0.02

Capitalis
08-23-2018, 08:55 PM

Your friend's MDLP K16 is almost identical to mine, so we may both have a small amount of Roman ancestry but then that wouldn't make us unusual if so.

EDIT: responded without reading Angelcynn's reply. :P