PDA

View Full Version : sepharic jew

reddog
04-01-2018, 07:29 AM
can anyone tell me if they have sepharic jew in them what there dna results are?i am getting southern europe,middle east and sardinia.little bit of north african

Geborgenheit
04-01-2018, 08:04 PM
MyHeritage offers the Sephardic category. Do you have % there ?

Mina
05-02-2018, 04:57 PM
MyHeritage offers the Sephardic category. Do you have % there ?

MH themselves admit that they don't have Sephardi Jewish in their database… yet, it appears in their admixture estimations. Not very honest and kind of a joke. They give me 16% SJ when I have no (at least recent) Jewish ancestry, and didn't pick up any of my French (which constitutes like 50% of my DNA). I would be very cautious about their results.

Geborgenheit
05-02-2018, 06:39 PM
I would be very cautious about their results.

I agree. Ethnicity estimates are approximate anyway.

I haven't known that they do not have Sephardi Jewish in their database.

Mina
05-02-2018, 07:05 PM
I agree. Ethnicity estimates are approximate anyway.

I haven't known that they do not have Sephardi Jewish in their database.

This is what they (recently) wrote to someone who asked them about it:

"Currently Sephardic Jewish is an Ethnicity not currently in our database yet but we are continuously growing our database so this could be added in the future."

Quite surprising, to say the least…

ianz91
05-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Question, did you buy the actual MyHeritage test or did you transfer your raw data to them? The reason I ask is because I transferred both my 23andme and my FTDNA results to MyHeritage and the ethnicity estimates were laughable, there were HUGE differences in both results, one gave me 3% Middle Eastern with no Southern European, the other gave me 10% Italian with no Middle Eastern.

evon
05-03-2018, 07:58 AM
My wife matches a good number of Sephardic jews they usually get between 80-100% North African Sephardic %. I dont know if they are native MY accounts or transfer accounts..

Mina
05-04-2018, 07:42 PM
Question, did you buy the actual MyHeritage test or did you transfer your raw data to them? The reason I ask is because I transferred both my 23andme and my FTDNA results to MyHeritage and the ethnicity estimates were laughable, there were HUGE differences in both results, one gave me 3% Middle Eastern with no Southern European, the other gave me 10% Italian with no Middle Eastern.

I just transferred my Ftdna raw data to MH.

bzaa't
05-05-2018, 12:19 AM
MH themselves admit that they don't have Sephardi Jewish in their database… yet, it appears in their admixture estimations. Not very honest and kind of a joke. They give me 16% SJ when I have no (at least recent) Jewish ancestry, and didn't pick up any of my French (which constitutes like 50% of my DNA). I would be very cautious about their results.

What do you mean by that? How can they give you an estimate of a population they don't have a reference population for in their database?

Mina
05-05-2018, 08:24 AM
What do you mean by that? How can they give you an estimate of a population they don't have a reference population for in their database?

No idea, I'm only reporting what they wrote to someone on another genetic genealogy group I belong to. That member took a screen capture of their email and posted it… Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the thread where it was posted.

bzaa't
05-05-2018, 08:54 AM
No idea, I'm only reporting what they wrote to someone on another genetic genealogy group I belong to. That member took a screen capture of their email and posted it… Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the thread where it was posted.

Seems bizarre. I can't think of a way they could assign it to anyone. Maybe they use DNA matches to determine that but still sounds nonsensical, or maybe it's all just a misunderstanding. Either way, is your Italian side from the South? If that's so then it might have assigned you with Sephardic as a placeholder for the Levantine input in Southern Italy/Sicily. Otherwise no idea.

Mina
05-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Seems bizarre. I can't think of a way they could assign it to anyone. Maybe they use DNA matches to determine that but still sounds nonsensical, or maybe it's all just a misunderstanding.

Maybe. I wish I could find that damn post with the screen capture. I'm pretty sure it was a very recent email from MH. Anwyway…

Either way, is your Italian side from the South? If that's so then it might have assigned you with Sephardic as a placeholder for the Levantine input in Southern Italy/Sicily. Otherwise no idea.

Yes, my paternal family is from South Italy (Campania: Ercolano/Procida/Torre del Greco). Ftdna gives me no Sephardi or Ashkenazi, instead they give me 19% Middle East, so what you say makes sense.

Cascio
05-05-2018, 12:23 PM
can anyone tell me if they have sepharic jew in them what there dna results are?i am getting southern europe,middle east and sardinia.little bit of north african

It's Sephardic not Sepharic.

giorgio
05-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Sephardic is something like Levant shifted South Italian so I guess it covers some deep South European broadly Near Eastern ancestry so most Mediterranean populations would get it.

bzaa't
05-05-2018, 01:37 PM
It's more like Levant with a shift towards Mediterranean Islanders rather than the opposite. I hope I can find that kit, but I once ran a kit of a Sephardi Jew on GEDmatch and in the mixed mode oracle some of the combinations were 70%-80% Samaritan or Lebanese and the remaining portion was Sardinian.

bzaa't
05-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Yes, my paternal family is from South Italy (Campania: Ercolano/Procida/Torre del Greco). Ftdna gives me no Sephardi or Ashkenazi, instead they give me 19% Middle East, so what you say makes sense.
Did you get mostly West Middle East, or Asia Minor? What's funny about Ftdna in my opinion is they have a specific population cluster for the Levant yet most Levantines I saw who posted their results scored mostly Asia Minor as well as some Sephardi. I think it might be too Arabian shifted or maybe the Asia Minor cluster is too Levant shifted... which kills the purpose of a Levant cluster.

Mina
05-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Did you get mostly West Middle East, or Asia Minor? What's funny about Ftdna in my opinion is they have a specific population cluster for the Levant yet most Levantines I saw who posted their results scored mostly Asia Minor as well as some Sephardi. I think it might be too Arabian shifted or maybe the Asia Minor cluster is too Levant shifted... which kills the purpose of a Levant cluster.

I got 12% West Middle East, and 7% East Middle East (which DID surprise me quite a bit). I only got 17% South East Europe. The rest: 55% West and Central Europe, and 9% East Europe. No Iberian at all (contrary to Gedmatch). Gedmatch also gives me Samaritan, Sephardic Jewish and some Ashkenazi. From what I could read here and from what you said, that kind of result is consistent with S. Italian ancestry.

bzaa't
05-05-2018, 02:39 PM
East Middle East I did not expect at all! (hence why I didn't even mention it in my question) But overall very cool results.

Mina
05-05-2018, 03:35 PM
Well, thanks (though I have absolutely no merit in this, lol). What are your results (and from which company/ies), if you don't mind me asking? (Maybe post them in a more relevant thread, if you want to of course :))

AJL
05-05-2018, 03:55 PM
I have a bit of Sephardi ancestry, which shows up as North African.

bzaa't
05-05-2018, 04:17 PM
Well, thanks (though I have absolutely no merit in this, lol). What are your results (and from which company/ies), if you don't mind me asking? (Maybe post them in a more relevant thread, if you want to of course :))

In my case my Sephardi is over estimated. In actuality 25% of my ancestry is Sephardi but I score 42% on FTDNA and 44.8% on MyHeritage. The rest is broken down as 31% West Middle East, 19% Asia Minor and 8% East Middle East. But since the Sephardi cluster acts as a "second Levantine cluster" (i.e. many Levantines score it) I'm not surprised it got over estimated.

JerryS.
05-05-2018, 04:22 PM
the problem (as I see it anyway) with tracing your Y-DNA is that it only shows the Y passed down male to male, none of your father's mother's history...

coffeeprince
05-09-2018, 09:47 PM
My Sephadic has been under-represented in both MyHeritage and FTDNA (~28% and ~35% respectively), when it should be closer to half.

bzaa't
05-11-2018, 01:01 PM
My Sephadic has been under-represented in both MyHeritage and FTDNA (~28% and ~35% respectively), when it should be closer to half.

What did you score for the rest (remaining 22% and 15% for each test)?

coffeeprince
05-12-2018, 09:16 PM
What did you score for the rest (remaining 22% and 15% for each test)?

Middle Eastern, Balkan, then Iberian in that order for MyHeritage and West Middle East and Southeast Europe for FTDNA.

The Iberian is definitely real because AncestryDNA and 23andme also assign me Iberian.