PDA

View Full Version : Wegene is offering full genome sequencing at ¥2999($480)?

bluesky
04-09-2018, 11:40 PM
https://www.wegene.com/events/presell/

If it's true, it's the cheapest on the market...

It's not available until June 1st...

Araz95
04-10-2018, 12:04 PM
When they say "full genome sequencing", what exactly is included? (for the people who dont read mandarin)
Can you give us some information?

bluesky
04-10-2018, 10:06 PM
When they say "full genome sequencing", what exactly is included? (for the people who dont read mandarin)
Can you give us some information?

The sequencing of all your genome, just like what Illumina has been providing, but at a much lower price($999->$480). It will come with reports and raw data.

They also offer full genome sequencing with Illumina at ¥9999(compared to ¥2999 with this new BGI machine), with additional 'shipping of special storage device and professional consulting services'.

C J Wyatt III
04-10-2018, 11:21 PM
The sequencing of all your genome, just like what Illumina has been providing, but at a much lower price($999->$480). It will come with reports and raw data.

They also offer full genome sequencing with Illumina at ¥9999(compared to ¥2999 with this new BGI machine), with additional 'shipping of special storage device and professional consulting services'.

Is this just Y-DNA, or the whole works (i.e mtDNA, autosomal, Y-DNA)?

Jack

bluesky
04-12-2018, 12:49 AM
Is this just Y-DNA, or the whole works (i.e mtDNA, autosomal, Y-DNA)?

Jack

The whole works.
I don't know what it means but they say the depth is x30.

Mich Glitch
04-12-2018, 01:04 AM
For x30 WGS $480 is a good price.
This company works just for China?

Araz95
04-12-2018, 07:41 AM
How good are their privacy/security?

evon
04-12-2018, 09:42 AM
How good are their privacy/security?

I would not test with them, they are unresponsive when people try to get in contact with them, check Wegene FB forums etc..

bluesky
04-12-2018, 07:07 PM
For x30 WGS $480 is a good price.
This company works just for China?

I don't know. 23andme works only for the US because of the customs, but I don't know if the Chinese customs have similar rules. It's very possible that they do not offer international shipping too. The whole thing looks like it's in a very raw state. Maybe they are not selling it until June because they are not completely ready.

Lion Heart
04-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Interesting, the Chinese government probably wants to get more information on foreign citizens so they can clone us and use our clones as slaves.

skyyrie
04-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Interesting, the Chinese government probably wants to get more information on foreign citizens so they can clone us and use our clones as slaves.

If 23andme offer the same things, people would go for them? considering Uncle Sam is famous for his Prism.

jortita
04-22-2018, 05:00 AM
I agree, there is no difference between Chinese company or American company, I wouldnt be surprised if our information is not provided to the CIA. There is a lot of hypocricy including China bashing.

evon
04-22-2018, 10:32 AM
I agree, there is no difference between Chinese company or American company, I wouldnt be surprised if our information is not provided to the CIA. There is a lot of hypocricy including China bashing.

While China is not a dystopian nightmare, it is still authoritarian and the USA is a paradise compared to China in terms of consumer rights..

I challenge you to try and get in direct contact with Wegene, to ask a simple question.. Then try the same with an American company, see which is most responsive ;) I bet my shoe you cannot even get a simple reply from Wegene..