PDA

View Full Version : Ashkenazi Jewish result: real or noise?

jshook
04-10-2018, 03:19 AM
Hi guys. So I received my 23andMe results, after previously testing with both Ancestry and Living DNA. Pretty much what I expected except for a random, small (0.3%) Ashkenazi Jewish result. I have no AJ ancestry that I know of and because it's small and none of the other testing sites flagged any AJ for me, I kind of dismissed it as noise. But playing around with the confidence levels, I discovered that even at the 90%/conservative confidence level, it still have 0.2% AJ. So I'm wondering what you guys think? Is that a legit result or just noise?

For reference, on Gedmatch using the Eurogenes JTest calculator, I get 4.12% AJ from my Ancestry DNA resuls and 2.99% from both 23andMe and LivingDNA on the Genesis version (although I don't much stock in the last two yet given how many fewer SNPs it uses.)

Oleg (Rus)
04-10-2018, 07:11 AM
I think it's just a Neolithic genes, but it's still possible that you have some distant Jewish ancestry. It will be easier to solve if your parents' tests were also available. I found a source of my Ashkenazic influence when I tested my granny.

jshook
04-10-2018, 03:19 PM
I think it's just a Neolithic genes, but it's still possible that you have some distant Jewish ancestry. It will be easier to solve if your parents' tests were also available. I found a source of my Ashkenazic influence when I tested my granny.

I wish I could test my parents. But I'm actually on the second guess as to who my biological father is thanks to these test results, after thinking we'd solved it from my Ancestry ones. But that's a different story for a different time haha