PDA

View Full Version : squirrel vs owl standoff

MikeWhalen
04-11-2018, 01:04 PM
This was a cute pic taken by a local in my city yesterday, of their bird feeder in the back yard being the scene of several 'standoffs' between a Grey squirrel and Barred owl. The homeowner says that a Horned owl has also been challenging the squirrels for the bird food.

The good news is all these 'standoffs' have been resolved peacefully, with much chittering and glaring, but not much else
....poor birds have no chance it seems to get what was supposed to be theirs!

oh ya, and its snowing hard here again today so the critters will be hungry with not much to eat

Mike

C J Wyatt III
04-11-2018, 02:12 PM
This was a cute pic taken by a local in my city yesterday, of their bird feeder in the back yard being the scene of several 'standoffs' between a Grey squirrel and Barred owl. The homeowner says that a Horned owl has also been challenging the squirrels for the bird food.

The good news is all these 'standoffs' have been resolved peacefully, with much chittering and glaring, but not much else
....poor birds have no chance it seems to get what was supposed to be theirs!

oh ya, and its snowing hard here again today so the critters will be hungry with not much to eat

Mike

That squirrel is not being very smart. I did not know that owls like bird seed, but the squirrel should let the owl eat all of the seed that he wants, lest he be on the menu himself.

Jack

C J Wyatt III
04-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Talking about squirrels and food, here is a timely article:

http://www.bakersfield.com/ap/national/study-uncovers-surprising-things-about-squirrels/article_68ce7f8d-a802-5e8e-a902-26991202499e.html

Jack