PDA

View Full Version : Ethnicity Estimate ‘Up To Date’ disappeared!

euromutt
04-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Hello!
I was reading articles on whoareyoumadeof.com and there’s an article regarding your ethnicity amounts changing and the writer mentions a February 2018 update that puts a “Up to Date” notation on the top right corner.

I have a screenshot of my results on March 16th with the “Up to Date” in the corner but today there is no notation!

Did this disappear for anyone else? Any ideas if this is affecting all of us for an update,etc?

FionnSneachta
04-11-2018, 10:23 PM
I still have an up to date notation. When I click on the 'Up to date' beside the 'Ethnicity Estimate' title, it just says:

Latest update as of Apr 2018
Your ethnicity estimate is based on the data we have and the methods we use to compare your results to that data. When AncestryDNA launched in 2012, we compared your DNA against 22 possible regions. Since then, additional data and advances in science have enabled AncestryDNA to identify dozens of new regions and improved our ability to determine how likely it is a region is part of your past. DNA research is a fast paced, rapidly expanding field, and you can expect to see additional updates as DNA science evolves.

Total Regions 166
Reference Samples 2,995

My results haven't changed since I got them anyway.

euromutt
04-11-2018, 11:06 PM
I’m curious to see if this is affecting anyone else or if anyone else has noticed their results have changed. It’s been less than a month since my screen shot showing the “Up to Date” notation and I’ve tried multiple browsers and it won’t show on any of them anymore. An update would be great!

Clarke
04-11-2018, 11:30 PM
Hi mate, mine have not changed since I got them in 2015. A more precise result/ update would be a positive move though.

cvolt
04-12-2018, 12:53 AM
I got my results in 2015 or 2016 and nothing has changed. I hope they update soon. My results are... hogwash lol.

jshook
04-12-2018, 02:52 AM
I just logged in and mine still shows the "Up To Date" notification (which, if you click on, also shows that they went from 3,000 samples to 2.995. Wonder what's up with that.) But my results haven't changed whatsoever.

fostert
04-12-2018, 03:07 AM
Mine too are up-to-date (latest reference panel has 2995 people in it) but mu results have not changed one bit since I got them in early 2016. Nothing. I don't even have any new genetic communities - still a "possible" connection to the French settlers in Quebec, Canada. That is correct and a known part of my ancestry, but my broad percentages are quite far from my paper trail and other admix calculators. Ancestry freely mixes up my French, British and Irish into a jumble of scandinavian and europe west. It even assigns me 6% caucasus, whereas my father and mother have caucusus only as insignificant trace regions that can't even begin to add up to 6%. Sigh.
Ancestry is quickly sinking to the bottom of the list for ethnicity....23andme is absolutely king, and nails my paper trail very well, as does LivingDNA. You can't go wrong with either , IMO.

greerpalmer
04-12-2018, 04:17 PM
I also no longer see "Results Up To Date" on my results; however, I don't think its anything to get excited about.

Lirio100
04-12-2018, 07:14 PM
I haven't had an "up to date" notice but I did lose 3 of my six DNA circles, which is odd because all six of them were known ancestry.

coffeeprince
04-12-2018, 11:48 PM
I got the Up to Date notice too but mine are still the same.

greerpalmer
04-13-2018, 05:39 AM
I also no longer see "Results Up To Date" on my results; however, I don't think its anything to get excited about.

I now see Up To Date again, latest up to date as of April. It seems to come and go but no changes.

euromutt
04-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Mine is back to saying “Up to Date” as of April 2018 so perhaps it was just a fluke :\

JFWinstone
04-17-2018, 07:38 AM
Mine and mum’s didn’t have this up to date until today. Hers hasn’t changed but my European has gone down to 75% now, some of my European West decreased and my Asia East and African Southeastern Bantu went up :bounce:

Baltimore1937
04-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Mine seems to be the same as before. But I'm glad Ancestry reviewed it.

Mike_G
04-17-2018, 11:04 AM
I received and "up to date" notification this morning along with the statement that said the results are up to date with the information that's currently available but may change as they learn more.

I'm not sure if they read their surveys, but I answered one of them that addressed ethnicity results. I indicated their ethnicity estimates missed the mark by a wide margin compared to 23andme and even FTDNA, as I was one of the few whose FTDNA results improved significantly in the latest update.

On the other hand, Ancestry's relative matching and family tree information was crucial to my research. I went from knowing nothing about my past to identifying at least all of my great grandparents and much farther back on my maternal side. 23andme was useless, and FTDNA was helpful on a single line that kick started the whole thing. Everything else was Ancestry information -- relative matches, family trees, and database information. If they could improve their ethnicity estimates they'd smoke the other companies.

mwauthy
04-17-2018, 01:05 PM
A new feature I noticed today is now you get to see the ethnicity estimates of your matches.

RobinBMc
04-17-2018, 02:35 PM
I also noticed the "up to date" note but nothing about my results were different. Now, I just checked and it's doing this thing where it says "retrieving your results" and then says

"Your results are up to date!
Your DNA doesn’t change, but the science we use to analyze it does. Your results may change over time as the science improves."

I clicked the "got it" button and it finally showed my results. Still the same, no changes at all.

RobinBMc
04-17-2018, 02:39 PM
A new feature I noticed today is now you get to see the ethnicity estimates of your matches.

That's always been possible.

mwauthy
04-17-2018, 07:47 PM
That's always been possible.

Oh! I thought in the past they would show you only which regions your matches received, but not the actual percentages for each region.

RobinBMc
04-18-2018, 10:46 PM
Oh! I thought in the past they would show you only which regions your matches received, but not the actual percentages for each region.

Oh you mean the new "compare" option which I think they are still beta testing - it don't think it's available for everyone yet. I had it for a while but then it disappeared so I'd forgotten about it.

selectivememri
04-19-2018, 02:12 AM
yeah, i definitely cant see other peoples percentages, so with the exception of one person everyone elses results stayed the same? i wonder what the new categories they included were..

daragon39
04-19-2018, 04:17 PM
It looks like Ancestry is getting ready to add sub regions. Go to the map, scroll down to where is says show all regions, when you go there you can click on a region which will then show sub-regions, but they don't seem to be implemented yet.

FionnSneachta
04-19-2018, 04:56 PM
It looks like Ancestry is getting ready to add sub regions. Go to the map, scroll down to where is says show all regions, when you go there you can click on a region which will then show sub-regions, but they don't seem to be implemented yet.

You can see your sub regions through your matches. Go into your matches and filter your matches by clicking on 'Regions'. For select a region or migration, it will give the sub regions that you're a part of as well as the overall region.

You can also see the sub regions if you click on the genetic community that you've been assigned in the ethnicity estimate. It will list specific places in this region where your family might have lived.

RobinBMc
04-19-2018, 07:58 PM

Those are the Genetic Communities which were merged to look like sub-regions in November. If you don't have any of those in your results, it's because you didn't match any of the Genetic Communities, not because they haven't been implemented.