PDA

View Full Version : Odd family result

Xtian
04-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Hi

My Friend and his parents have all tested on LDNA. All three are British from South Wales.

Strangely my friend has 6.8% Scandinavian DNA on the results, but both his parents score 100% British.

He's emailed LDNA and they just give him cut and paste answers.

He has tested on Gedmatch and his parents results and his are immediate relatives so no jokes about a secret Swedish father lol. Also the YDNA (R-L21) and MDNA (T2B) is identical.

Any ideas what this could mean? Perhaps an error with LDNA's chip?

sktibo
04-20-2018, 03:34 AM
So far I haven't seen a test that lines up children perfectly with their parents. My Ancestry DNA, FTDNA, and MyHeritage scores between my parents and myself do not add up. Scandinavia and the British Isles have a lot of DNA in common both from the early Middle Ages and it looks like quite a bit from ancient sources as well. Scandinavian percentages appear to be fairly common in people with entirely British Isles heritage. Unfortunately, these things ain't perfect - I don't think it is an error specific to Living DNA, I think this might happen with any company tested

msmarjoribanks
04-29-2018, 06:17 PM
So far I haven't seen a test that lines up children perfectly with their parents. My Ancestry DNA, FTDNA, and MyHeritage scores between my parents and myself do not add up. Scandinavia and the British Isles have a lot of DNA in common both from the early Middle Ages and it looks like quite a bit from ancient sources as well. Scandinavian percentages appear to be fairly common in people with entirely British Isles heritage. Unfortunately, these things ain't perfect - I don't think it is an error specific to Living DNA, I think this might happen with any company tested

This is true. I think it's tough to tell things like Scandinavian from British Isles, too, as like you said those seem to be confused a lot.

My FTDNA is an example. I'm 83% British Isles (which is a bit high in reality based on the paper trail), my parents are 75% (dad -- about right or low based on paper trail) and 47% (mom -- too low based on the paper trail). I get 0% Scandinavian, but my dad (who has no known Scandinavian ancestry) gets 4%, and my mother (who has a fully Swedish grandmother) gets 15%.

LivingDNA gives me 77% British/Irish, but I haven't tested my parents there.

04-29-2018, 06:27 PM
Hi

My Friend and his parents have all tested on LDNA. All three are British from South Wales.

Strangely my friend has 6.8% Scandinavian DNA on the results, but both his parents score 100% British.

He's emailed LDNA and they just give him cut and paste answers.

He has tested on Gedmatch and his parents results and his are immediate relatives so no jokes about a secret Swedish father lol. Also the YDNA (R-L21) and MDNA (T2B) is identical.

Any ideas what this could mean? Perhaps an error with LDNA's chip?

I get 2.5% with LDNA so I think it’s not unusual, I’m also from S Wales with zero known recent ancestors from there, probably is either ancient admixture or something from Viking times in my estimation.
Will be interesting how everyone’s results change over time.

Angriff
04-29-2018, 07:08 PM
LivingDNA was the only test that accurately pegged my Scandinavian ancestry at around 1/8 (it gave 11.4%).

Jessie
05-02-2018, 02:12 PM
It does happen that family members get different results. My brother gets 9% Scandinavian while I got none. I got 1.4% Chechen and 1.2% Pashtun while he got none. These are the only areas outside of Britain and Ireland that we got in our tests.

Vashti
05-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Yes, same with my sister and I. It could be an error with the LDNA chip.

Dewsloth
05-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Sometimes there are just massive differences between parent and child when the half you get is missing all/most of a specific component.

Look at the hash FTDNA and fate have made of mine:

^^From 47% British to 0% British in one generation; but I have Scandinavian when neither parent shows any (so the chip had to make a choice and the coin-flip landed differently, there).

Also note that LivingDNA can find NO German, French, Belgian in my dad's results, but they do find over 8% Scandinavian.

ianz91
05-02-2018, 09:34 PM
LivingDNA was the only test that accurately pegged my Scandinavian ancestry at around 1/8 (it gave 11.4%).

I am approximately 1/8 Danish and 1/16 Norwegian, AncestryDNA gave me 12% Scandinavian, which seems the most accurate so far. 23andme gave me 0.1% and FTDNA gave me a whopping 23%. I wonder how LivingDNA will do with mine. I'm planning on testing with LivingDNA in the future.

jshook
05-03-2018, 04:57 PM
This seems to be fairly common. I'm predominantly of English and Japanese ancestry with no known Scandinavian ancestry whatsoever. I still get a random Scandinavian result on every test I've taken (1.4% at Living DNA, 3.8% at 23andMe and 8% (!!!) at Ancestry.)

Molfish
05-06-2018, 10:53 PM
This is a problem LivingDNA deals with relatively well for British/Irish people. I am fully British Isles and got only 2.4% Scandinavian with LivingDNA, so easy enough to discount as noise. My mother is fully English and got 46% Scandinavian on MyHeritage. I had to explain to her that it probably represents Anglo-Saxon/Viking admixture. If she didn't know her genealogy inside out she might be going round telling people she's half Swede. I suspect there are similar results with Ancestry.

Angriff
05-06-2018, 11:05 PM
This is a problem LivingDNA deals with relatively well for British/Irish people. I am fully British Isles and got only 2.4% Scandinavian with LivingDNA, so easy enough to discount as noise. My mother is fully English and got 46% Scandinavian on MyHeritage. I had to explain to her that it probably represents Anglo-Saxon/Viking admixture. If she didn't know her genealogy inside out she might be going round telling people she's half Swede. I suspect there are similar results with Ancestry.

Ancestry massively underestimated my mother's Scandinavian ancestry.

ianz91
05-07-2018, 12:09 AM

This is what worries me about testing with LivingDNA at the moment, it works well for British and Irish, but not so much other groups. As a mixed Euro American, I'm going to wait until LivingDNA gets bigger and adds more populations.