PDA

View Full Version : Is the Ethnicity Estimate getting an update? 2018

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

laulei
04-19-2018, 08:31 PM
I was looking at some AncestryDNA results on Instagram and I noticed that some people have breakdowns of their Europe South region. I know what Genetic Communities and Migrations are and I am not referring to those. It looks like AncestryDNA is separating Italy from Greece and Spain from Portugal. I noticed that they have a category called Germanic Europe and France has its own separate region. It looks like they have added the Baltic States as a region and Native American has three regions. Has anyone found any information about this potential update or have your results changed?

Here are some of the pictures I have seen on Instagram:

JFWinstone
04-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Looks like it. I've seen some updated results on the facebook groups I'm on.

euromutt
04-19-2018, 10:10 PM
I was looking at some AncestryDNA results on Instagram and I noticed that some people have breakdowns of their Europe South region. I know what Genetic Communities and Migrations are and I am not referring to those. It looks like AncestryDNA is separating Italy from Greece and Spain from Portugal. I noticed that they have a category called Germanic Europe and France has its own separate region. It looks like they have added the Baltic States as a region and Native American has three regions. Has anyone found any information about this potential update or have your results changed?

Here are some of the pictures I have seen on Instagram:

I had created a thread about the “Up to Date” notation on my estimate disappearing. A few others noted theirs had disappeared. Myself and another user also had a weird “ Retrieving your results” loading screen when we tried to load our estimates. Perhaps the photos you found are related to what we had noted. Fingers crossed we all start getting more specific areas!

selectivememri
04-19-2018, 11:28 PM
im curious to see if mine will change at all, or if these were sourced from previous communities. im currently a member of the 'greece, albania, turkey' community. i dont have a community for my sizeable eastern euro percentage, but my mom does, for 'north italy, croatia, bosnia i herzigovina', i'd be interested to see how a new balkan category (if it is new) would parse her results, or mine!

selectivememri
04-19-2018, 11:30 PM
also itd be cool if they could offer some specificity about the lower percentage trace regions, although i imagine thats more difficult.

euromutt
04-19-2018, 11:39 PM
im curious to see if mine will change at all, or if these were sourced from previous communities. im currently a member of the 'greece, albania, turkey' community. i dont have a community for my sizeable eastern euro percentage, but my mom does, for 'north italy, croatia, bosnia i herzigovina', i'd be interested to see how a new balkan category (if it is new) would parse her results, or mine!

OP said they weren’t referring to Genetic Communties though. The regions themselves seem to be more specifically drilled down.

@laulei all of the photos showing the new regions on instagram are recent, so that’s a positive!

selectivememri
04-19-2018, 11:55 PM
OP said they weren’t referring to Genetic Communties though. The regions themselves seem to be more specifically drilled down.

@laulei all of the photos showing the new regions on instagram are recent, so that’s a positive!

oh there it is, in the second sentence. i cant read apparently, thanks for the clarification! it'll be cool to see how people's results change once they roll these out!

euromutt
04-19-2018, 11:59 PM
Hopefully we don’t have to wait too long, I’m chomping at the bit now after seeing proof.

timberwolf
04-20-2018, 01:04 AM
Any idea when this update may happen? Mine is just the same.

Loderingo
04-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Good news but still no love for the British Isles. Living DNA/POBI have shown that it is perfectly possible to split out England, Wales, Scotland and NI by region so Ancestry should be able to do it at the national level if nothing else, especially considering how many British testers they have now.

kujira692
04-20-2018, 12:27 PM
That's exciting news! I wonder what they'll call what seems to be the old "Great Britain" now that it encompasses so much of continental Europe. Really excited if they can accurately distinguish between Germanic Europe and French regions now!

Edit 1:

Was just trawling through Twitter to see if I could find any other results shared in the new format and found this:

euromutt
04-20-2018, 01:14 PM
From what I’ve seen on screen shots they’re doing “England and Wales” and ”Ireland and Scotland” as new regions.

Edit: you beat me to it!

Loderingo
04-20-2018, 04:01 PM
That's interesting. I wonder when it is being rolled out globally - I still have the old categories.

Amerijoe
04-20-2018, 04:03 PM
Checking my results would indicate a work in progress. There is a decent regional breakdowns which will be helpful once connections are made. Here are some screenshots showing my British Isles breakdown by regions.

Amerijoe
04-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Here are the balance of the regions. 226882268922690.

euromutt
04-20-2018, 04:54 PM
Checking my results would indicate a work in progress. There is a decent regional breakdowns which will be helpful once connections are made. Here are some screenshots showing my British Isles breakdown by regions.

These sub-regions have been there for quite some time. The screen shots of the new results are not of the sub-regions but of new main regional breakdowns.

selectivememri
04-20-2018, 05:49 PM
i'm not that confident that mine will change, it looked like it was processing something when i logged in a few days ago, and shows my results as "up to date", with no changes made to the numbers or regions.. maybe theyre only applying these categories to newer tests? a lot of the features people claim to have i've never seen before, i wonder if its some kind of variation between american, canadian, and uk ancestry users?

Lemba
04-20-2018, 07:15 PM
I have seen a few of these new results, that definitely seems to be the new ancestry breakdown.

Additoinally looking at youtube videos of new ancestry results i haven't found one, but I saw that Ancestry.com released a new short youtube video explaing "your dna results may change but your dna doesn't change" PLUS all the weird behavior with the up to date dissapearing, up to date re-appearing and the popup box coming out now. IT all poitns to them ramping up to roll this out sitewide.

Also for one person who is on the new breakdown and others like him I CAN'T do a compare from the app (to see his breakdown) it gets greyed out.

The best we can do for preliminaril knowing is to reach out to these folks and get them to click on "All regions" and take a screenshot of that. I haven't gotten anyone to do it, someone might have better luck then me.

Abcd123
04-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Can you post a link to the YouTube video?

Tz85
04-21-2018, 02:42 AM
Mine says updated as of April 2018. Their were no changes.

kujira692
04-21-2018, 11:25 AM
It will probably proceed the way it did when they introduced the Genetic Communities, and even the name changes (Italy/Greece -> Europe South, Ireland -> Ireland/Wales/Scotland): at first only a very small group of people get the changes, then a few more, and then finally everyone about a month or two after the first incidents showed up.

mwauthy
04-21-2018, 03:56 PM
From what I’ve seen on screen shots they’re doing “England and Wales” and ”Ireland and Scotland” as new regions.

Edit: you beat me to it!

Based on the new regions of England/Wales it looks like they might be separating the Germanic Saxon/Viking influence in England from the Roman/Brythonic influence vs the Gaelic influence in Ireland/Scotland.

Labeling the Germanic influence as Germanic instead of Great Britain or Europe West will decrease discrepancies found in the previous update.

I wonder though what they are going to label for France or Gaulish influences?

euromutt
04-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Based on the new regions of England/Wales it looks like they might be separating the Germanic Saxon/Viking influence in England from the Roman/Brythonic influence vs the Gaelic influence in Ireland/Scotland.

Labeling the Germanic influence as Germanic instead of Great Britain or Europe West will decrease discrepancies found in the previous update.

I wonder though what they are going to label for France or Gaulish influences?

I did see a screenshot of a region just labeled “France” but I’m not sure if that’s the only new label or if it’s split into anything else.

kujira692
04-21-2018, 09:07 PM
I've seen regions for "France", "Spain", "Portugal", "Basque", "Italy".

timberwolf
04-21-2018, 09:34 PM
I have just just been reading the 23andme forum on this topic.

Someone posted this.

Yes, there is an update coming soon. I don’t have it but I’ve seen it on Instagram. There’s no full list of regions yet, but it splits down way further than before: between Scandinavian countries and even between France and Germany! I contacted ancestry about it and they told me that it will be coming very soon.

coffeeprince
04-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Mine says "Up to Date" for April 2018 but there were no changes.

sktibo
04-21-2018, 11:27 PM
I'm very envious of various Instagram users who have posted updated results. The European overhaul looks very well done. Finally France is separate from Central Europe. I can't wait to see everyone's updated results here.

timberwolf
04-21-2018, 11:44 PM
I'm very envious of various Instagram users who have posted updated results. The European overhaul looks very well done. Finally France is separate from Central Europe. I can't wait to see everyone's updated results here.

It certainly looks more promising than the 23andme update which was a bit meh for me.

Sktibo can you link those results you have seen on Instagram? Please

sktibo
04-22-2018, 12:15 AM
It certainly looks more promising than the 23andme update which was a bit meh for me.

Sktibo can you link those results you have seen on Instagram? Please

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/ancestrydna/

There's a good number under this category scroll through and check em out

Categories I've seen so far for Europe:
Ireland & Scotland
England & Wales
France
Spain
Portugal
Italy
Germanic Europe
Greece and the Balkans
Baltic States
Norway
Sweden
Eastern Europe and Russia

The bubble that covers "England and Wales" also extends to the Netherlands, Belgium, Brittany and North France. France is the rest of France south of this line, but is still most of France. This is in my opinion a promising indicator as it shows they might not have just pulled these categories out of nowhere as they did last time (or currently still have for those of us without updates yet)

timberwolf
04-22-2018, 01:02 AM
Thanks.

I have just contacted them.

What I received in reply

Ancestry regularly updated information. They are currently rolling out an update. It should be completed soon. Also I do not have a completion date but it is an active rollout.

So you may be updated at any time.

kujira692
04-22-2018, 01:34 AM
I had wondered what the one huge region was that pretty much encompassed all continental Europe and southern Scandinavia & England (I was worried it would be a cop-out "Broadly European" category), but someone had it and it's European Jewish.

sktibo
04-22-2018, 02:17 AM
Thanks.

I have just contacted them.

What I received in reply

Ancestry regularly updated information. They are currently rolling out an update. It should be completed soon. Also I do not have a completion date but it is an active rollout.

So you may be updated at any time.

I hope my American friends here can forgive me for shouting a big YEE HAW upon hearing that! Thanks for asking them

I had wondered what the one huge region was that pretty much encompassed all continental Europe and southern Scandinavia & England (I was worried it would be a cop-out "Broadly European" category), but someone had it and it's European Jewish.

I was wondering the same, thanks for checking that one out - it is a relief!

ianz91
04-22-2018, 10:17 AM
This is proof that Ancestry is way ahead of the game, essentially "the best" of the big 3.

Cofgene
04-22-2018, 11:37 AM
This is proof that Ancestry is way ahead of the game, essentially "the best" of the big 3.

ONLY if they have established a valid way to get reference samples from missing regions into their system. Using statistical components and genealogy to define sub-divide the current data doesn't cut it. They need reference data from lineages which have resided in specific geographic locations for 300+ years. Until any of these are accomplished the numbers are crap. I just looked and see 10% incorrect on my father and 17% incorrect on my mother. And by incorrect I mean there should be 0% British Isle contribution present.

Lemba
04-22-2018, 01:10 PM
On the African side it seems they have added East African which is problaly using Nilotes, Masai, Horners, but perhaps merged Southeastern Bantu with Cameroon/Congo, because in about 10 of the new breakdowns haven't seen SE Bantu, and SE bantu is an important cluster for people of African descent, to diferentiate how far south or how far east one's bantu ancestry may be. If they did indeed merge it I and a friend will definetly write some good reasons why they need to break it back out (unless ADMIXTURE doesn't like that cluster).

miremont
04-22-2018, 01:17 PM

Yes, I especially love their amazing chromosome browser. It makes finding connections between my thousands of AncestryDNA matches so much easier!

:\

jpb
04-22-2018, 03:16 PM
I just saw on Instagram, someone who was 1/2 Filipino got exactly 50% Philippines!

fostert
04-22-2018, 03:46 PM

In short - no. LivingDNA and 23andme's ethnicity estimates beat Ancestry's hands-down, at least prior to this putative update of Ancetsry. To start, look at the reference populations - Ancestry has a mere 2995 people, whereas both Living and 23andme have >=10,000! Ancestry did have the edge for a while when they released Genetic Communities back in early 2017, which are amazingly accurate, but now others are following suit (23andme has sub-regional breakdowns now, for eg., and this year LivingDNA is coming out with sharper european regions too). And, as pointed out, the lack of tools like a chromosome browser makes Ancestry the "fast-food" of the genetic genealogy market.

sktibo
04-22-2018, 03:50 PM

In their current state absolutely not but if this update is good perhaps they'll move into first place

Ais
04-22-2018, 04:24 PM
I just saw on Instagram, someone who was 1/2 Filipino got exactly 50% Philippines!

That's pretty brilliant! I'm really excited about this update, I hope they improve their minor ethnicity estimates. They got my main ethnicity spot on, but they were all over the place in the small percentages, giving me things like 2% South European, 1% Iberian Peninsula, 1% Finland/Northwest Russia (I have no known ancestry from any of these places, and actually get lower South European than normal on gedmatch calculators).

timberwolf
04-22-2018, 07:35 PM
In their current state absolutely not but if this update is good perhaps they'll move into first place

Mostly agree. I think their Genetics communities was a big step forward for them. I thought also that the 23andme update was meh, original results were good, only when you compare them to people of the same ethnicity as youself.

Livingdna have promised a lot, so lets see what they come up with first, before one anoints them as the best company.

Still I would go with who your DNA matches are, as the best indicator of your ancestry.

sktibo
04-22-2018, 07:41 PM
Mostly agree. I think their Genetics communities was a big step forward for them. I thought also that the 23andme update was meh, original results were good, only when you compare them to people of the same ethnicity as youself.

Livingdna have promised a lot, so lets see what they come up with first, before one anoints them as the best company.

Still I would go with who your DNA matches are, as the best indicator of your ancestry.

It's a constant battle for first place between these companies the way I see it. It will probably be years before all of the major Living DNA projects are released and then our results are updated (so I ain't waiting for that to do any anointing!)
The king of ethnic DNA testing can likely only remain king for so long.. but let's see if Ancestry takes the crown with this new update. Exciting times for sure

timberwolf
04-22-2018, 07:47 PM
It's a constant battle for first place between these companies the way I see it. It will probably be years before all of the major Living DNA projects are released and then our results are updated (so I ain't waiting for that to do any anointing!)
The king of ethnic DNA testing can likely only remain king for so long.. but let's see if Ancestry takes the crown with this new update. Exciting times for sure

Yeah I am kinda looking at my ancestry profile about four times a day, to see if it has been updated, as of a minute ago, nope.

Also is not the LDNA beta family matching released end of this month?

Ais
04-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Yeah I am kinda looking at my ancestry profile about four times a day, to see if it has been updated, as of a minute ago, nope.

I just checked again, got excited when I saw my welcome page looked a bit different...then nothing :lol:

coffeeprince
04-22-2018, 10:34 PM
My map has been updated to all the new regions, but my results are still the same? Not sure if the results have "already updated"?

ianz91
04-22-2018, 10:53 PM
In short - no. LivingDNA and 23andme's ethnicity estimates beat Ancestry's hands-down, at least prior to this putative update of Ancetsry. To start, look at the reference populations - Ancestry has a mere 2995 people, whereas both Living and 23andme have >=10,000! Ancestry did have the edge for a while when they released Genetic Communities back in early 2017, which are amazingly accurate, but now others are following suit (23andme has sub-regional breakdowns now, for eg., and this year LivingDNA is coming out with sharper european regions too). And, as pointed out, the lack of tools like a chromosome browser makes Ancestry the "fast-food" of the genetic genealogy market.

LivingDNA is only useful for people of British or Irish descent, and they're new, so even attempting to put them up to the major DNA companies is laughable. I disagree about 23andme beating AncestryDNA on ethnicity estimates, that is a really bold claim. 23andme is not good for ancestry breakdown, period. 23andme's primary focus is health and traits, not ancestry. The v5 chip has been a disaster and was essentially 23andme's downfall. 23andme misses minor admixture while AncestryDNA does not, they only go back 300 years. A lack of a chromosome browser means nothing when AncestryDNA tests more autosomal SNPs than 23andme and has a largest database of over 7 million+ people. The reason why I think Ancestry is the best now is because they focus primarily on Ancestry, while 23andme does not. We'll see how LivingDNA does in the future.

ianz91
04-22-2018, 10:57 PM

Let's hope that LivingDNA doesn't go the way of MyDnaGlobal

ianz91
04-22-2018, 11:15 PM

Oh and one more thing, watch this video. 23andme vs AncestryDNA vs FTDNA on triplets. 23andme and FTDNA failed big time, while Ancestry was very accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyfWZZ7uPuE

Tz85
04-22-2018, 11:45 PM
Lmao 23andme's estimate is the worst out of every company by far. Most people I've seen are thrown into 20-30% Broad category, if not more. At least Ancestry is making progress.

sktibo
04-22-2018, 11:46 PM

I think it is, but IIRC you're more on top of that than I am. It's good to know I'm not the only one who checks multiple times a day. Thank God for Anthrogenica

ianz91
04-22-2018, 11:53 PM
Lmao 23andme's estimate is the worst out of every company by far. Most people I've seen are thrown into 20-30% Broad category, if not more. At least Ancestry is making progress.

That was actually a major disappointment for me when I tested with 23andme, I got 28.6% broadly NW European, 4.5% Broadly Southern European, and 7.1% Broadly European.

Also, I consider FTDNA to be the worst company. I recently tested with them and the whole experience was horrible. I regret doing it.

Mike_G
04-22-2018, 11:59 PM
LivingDNA is only useful for people of British or Irish descent, and they're new, so even attempting to put them up to the major DNA companies is laughable. I disagree about 23andme beating AncestryDNA on ethnicity estimates, that is a really bold claim. 23andme is not good for ancestry breakdown, period. 23andme's primary focus is health and traits, not ancestry. The v5 chip has been a disaster and was essentially 23andme's downfall. 23andme misses minor admixture while AncestryDNA does not, they only go back 300 years. A lack of a chromosome browser means nothing when AncestryDNA tests more autosomal SNPs than 23andme and has a largest database of over 7 million+ people. The reason why I think Ancestry is the best now is because they focus primarily on Ancestry, while 23andme does not. We'll see how LivingDNA does in the future.

In general you're right about LivingDNA's usefulness for non-Brits, although one poster on the forum, RobinMcB, has very accurate results. It currently also has an Irish recall problem that they're supposedly trying to fix. LDNA is a new company that made some foolish and overly ambitious claims at its launch.

Ancestry's results are far less accurate than 23andme for a lot of people. Half Lithuanian and wherever they hell else they came from before leaving Lithuania and half western European:

22736 22737

My known western European side goes back at least six generations and shows zero Eastern European ancestry. My western side also shows no Scandinavian or Finnish/Northern Russian history, so Ancestry's results are already approximately 15% in the hole for me. Like 23andme, I've had other tests pick up a few percentage points of southern European, but it's not enough to expend any effort tracking down. I'm on the v4 chip, but if anything I found 23andme's minor admixtures needless distractions. 23andme's Broadly Xxxxx categories initially frustrated me, but at least it admits uncertainty when it doesn't know about certain segments' origins instead of making a guess.

I really like Ancestry for a lot of things, but its ethnicity results isn't one of them.

Loderingo
04-23-2018, 12:22 PM
I would say that currently Living DNA is the best for ethnicity testing, Ancestry is best for matching (despite no chromosome browser due to their huge database) and FTDNA is best for Y testing.

As someone else said it is a bit of an arms race to keep coming up with new features. It got me wondering at what point the DNA market will reach maturity (i.e. at what point will new testers start to drop off). It seems to me that FTDNA have the most sustainable model as they are able to sell upgrades and new tests to existing customers, while the others are relying on a constant stream of new customers.

mwauthy
04-23-2018, 01:10 PM
I would say that currently Living DNA is the best for ethnicity testing, Ancestry is best for matching (despite no chromosome browser due to their huge database) and FTDNA is best for Y testing.

As someone else said it is a bit of an arms race to keep coming up with new features. It got me wondering at what point the DNA market will reach maturity (i.e. at what point will new testers start to drop off). It seems to me that FTDNA have the most sustainable model as they are able to sell upgrades and new tests to existing customers, while the others are relying on a constant stream of new customers.

As long as there are two dominant companies such as Ancestry and 23andMe competing against each other I see a lot of potential for the industry.

The problem that 23andMe made was for settling for the cost effective imputation chip which might increase profits in the short term but might lower sales in the long term.

A competitive industry might lead to new technology that tests millions of snps rather than thousands. Companies might send representatives all over the world to collect more samples rather than just relying on public data or their customer database.

sktibo
04-23-2018, 04:05 PM

Just looking through the images people are posting of their updated results, becoming more envious by the minute. I thought this one was good as it highlighted a lot of the updated regions. That mix up down in Iberia with Portugal, Spain, and Basque Country looks like it will be causing some tangle ups!

mwauthy
04-23-2018, 05:28 PM

Just looking through the images people are posting of their updated results, becoming more envious by the minute. I thought this one was good as it highlighted a lot of the updated regions. That mix up down in Iberia with Portugal, Spain, and Basque Country looks like it will be causing some tangle ups!

Looks like the France category is Southwestern France or Basque and that the England and Wales category covers most of Northern France. Interesting groupings!

timberwolf
04-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Has anyone here actually been updated?

kujira692
04-23-2018, 07:34 PM
I'm wondering if it will happen on Wednesday, since that's National DNA Day. But then again, maybe not.

sktibo
04-23-2018, 07:45 PM
Looks like the France category is Southwestern France or Basque and that the England and Wales category covers most of Northern France. Interesting groupings!

Actually there's another one for France but it's very similar to the Basque one

ianz91
04-23-2018, 08:12 PM
I would say that currently Living DNA is the best for ethnicity testing,

For British people like yourself, yes it is. But for most non British Europeans and especially European mixed Americans like me, LivingDNA doesn't seem useful at all. The test is aimed specifically at British and Irish people. LivingDNA claims it will grow and reach an American audience soon, but I am extremely doubtful.

mwauthy
04-23-2018, 08:25 PM
Actually there's another one for France but it's very similar to the Basque one

Do you have an image for the France region? I’m wondering where on the map it might fit since Basque and England and Germanic seem to overlap so much with France.

ianz91
04-23-2018, 08:31 PM
As long as there are two dominant companies such as Ancestry and 23andMe competing against each other I see a lot of potential for the industry.

The problem that 23andMe made was for settling for the cost effective imputation chip which might increase profits in the short term but might lower sales in the long term.

A competitive industry might lead to new technology that tests millions of snps rather than thousands. Companies might send representatives all over the world to collect more samples rather than just relying on public data or their customer database.

The problem 23andme has now is that they're abandoning interest in ancestry and instead focusing more on medical health and traits. They're a company that will always have an ancestry test though because it's an add on that makes them money, but their main goal was and always will be medical.

FionnSneachta
04-23-2018, 09:38 PM
For British people like yourself, yes it is. But for most non British Europeans and especially European mixed Americans like me, LivingDNA doesn't seem useful at all. The test is aimed specifically at British and Irish people. LivingDNA claims it will grow and reach an American audience soon, but I am extremely doubtful.

Well Living DNA isn't even accurate for Irish people at the moment.

ianz91
04-23-2018, 10:03 PM

Sorry to hear that. I initially was very excited when LivingDNA launched, because I wanted to find out my exact English heritage from my mother's side. But I ended up going a different route. I connected with my English matches and ended up doing some genealogy work, and found my English ancestry is mostly from Warwickshire and Leicestershire. My father's Scottish (Northern Irish) ancestry region is still a mystery though. I think if I took the LivingDNA test it wouldn't help me in that area.

sktibo
04-23-2018, 10:53 PM
Do you have an image for the France region? I’m wondering where on the map it might fit since Basque and England and Germanic seem to overlap so much with France.

I'll do some digging for an image tonight but it's basically a bit north and a bit east of Basque. The northern coast of France is covered by the England category however most of France is covered by the French category. Should be good.

Angriff
04-23-2018, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear that. I initially was very excited when LivingDNA launched, because I wanted to find out my exact English heritage from my mother's side. But I ended up going a different route. I connected with my English matches and ended up doing some genealogy work, and found my English ancestry is mostly from Warwickshire and Leicestershire. My father's Scottish (Northern Irish) ancestry region is still a mystery though. I think if I took the LivingDNA test it wouldn't help me in that area.

The Scottish data in LivingDNA actually seems quite good; it's the Irish samples that are lacking.

timberwolf
04-24-2018, 12:45 AM
I'll do some digging for an image tonight but it's basically a bit north and a bit east of Basque. The northern coast of France is covered by the England category however most of France is covered by the French category. Should be good.

Languedoc?

timberwolf
04-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Again from the 23andme forum

Ancestry

We have released an update to a few members and plan to release it to all accounts soon.“

“we are slowly rolling out updated regions. It may or may not show changes in your particular results. Please be patient as we proceed with this new information.”

“We are still testing the beta version of this update, and will share this new experience once feedback has been collected and the newest version is ready for the general public.”

Patience is a virtue I guess, as I check my account for about the third time today! As long as it does not take weeks and months like the 23andme roll out.

sktibo
04-24-2018, 02:10 AM

This one has the France region, as well as Eastern Europe and the Baltic states.

tomz
04-24-2018, 02:13 AM
Now this appears to be real 'update' for once. I hope it works out for everyone.

sktibo
04-24-2018, 02:19 AM
Less random updates for Instagramers, more updates for Anthrogenicans. Thanks Ancestry.

ianz91
04-24-2018, 03:00 AM
Who do you guys think has the better update so far, 23andme or AncestryDNA?

Jessie
04-24-2018, 03:23 AM
Who do you guys think has the better update so far, 23andme or AncestryDNA?

I'll see what happens when it rolls out but I think this one looks better. I've ordered for my daughter as well so when her results come through I'll compare with mine.

mwauthy
04-24-2018, 03:33 AM

This one has the France region, as well as Eastern Europe and the Baltic states.

Thanks!

sktibo
04-24-2018, 03:38 AM
Thanks!

Most Welcome! May it correctly identify your French ancestry when the time comes.

mwauthy
04-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Most Welcome! May it correctly identify your French ancestry when the time comes.

I’m starting to realize that even though both of my parents are French speaking, genetically they are more similar to neighboring regions than to any type of French average.

2/3 of my mom’s French Canadian ancestors came from Normandy and Paris so based on that map they will probably pop up as English. My mom’s other 1/3 from Aunis and Poitiers will probably pop up as Basque or maybe France.

My dad’s northeastern French and Wallonia ancestors will probably pop up as English or Germanic.

The France region probably represents central France from where I have little to no ancestry so I’m not expecting too high of a percentage.

Even Living DNA said I was 63% from the United Kingdom and only 14% French. My question is though since the U.K. was populated by people from the continental mainland does it make more sense to call Northern French people British on these tests or to call British people Northwestern?

I am happy though that Ancestry separated the Europe West region because it’s always represented more Germanic/Celtic alleles and peaked in the Netherlands. The map for Europe West should never have included France since Northern France gets assigned to Great Britain and Southern France to Iberian or Italian.

kujira692
04-24-2018, 01:34 PM
I'm happy they've adjusted Europe West into more focussed categories, but am a little worried with the hugely widening of the scope of "England". About 2/3rds of my father's ancestry comes from northern Baden-Wurrtemburg and Haut-Saône in France, and both of those places can fall under the new "England" category, despite those ancestors never being there. I may be worrying for nothing, but I do hope they can accurately distinguish amongst all the overlap.

mwauthy
04-24-2018, 02:44 PM
I'm happy they've adjusted Europe West into more focussed categories, but am a little worried with the hugely widening of the scope of "England". About 2/3rds of my father's ancestry comes from northern Baden-Wurrtemburg and Haut-Saône in France, and both of those places can fall under the new "England" category, despite those ancestors never being there. I may be worrying for nothing, but I do hope they can accurately distinguish amongst all the overlap.

It will be interesting to see if you get more “Germanic” or “English and Wales.”

digital_noise
04-24-2018, 04:04 PM
well, I'm eagerly awaiting an update as Ancestry shows me at 37% Western Europe, although how they managed to get that % baffles me as I know my ancestral paper trail fairly well and in reality (if things were neat and clean, haha) should ony be about 12.5% German and Dutch combined. What I suspect will happen is the 37% West Euro will drop to 20%-ish, and my Great Britain will go from 38% to closer to 50%

timberwolf
04-24-2018, 07:13 PM
OK guys

I just received this email from an Ancestrydna rep

Your ethnicity estimate is based on the data we have and the methods we use to compare your results to that data. Because we’re always collecting more data and our methods are constantly improving, your estimate may change over time.
Your percentages for a region could change. Some new regions could appear. Some old regions, especially low-percentage regions, could disappear. Or you might not see much change at all.

What could change?
* When AncestryDNA launched in 2012, we compared your DNA against 22 possible regions. We now have more than 150.

You could see old regions turn into new ones.

* For example, instead of one Iberian Peninsula region, we now have separate regions for Spain, Portugal, and Basque. And our Asia East region has been replaced by China, Korea and Northern Asia, Japan, Southeast Asia—Dai (Tai), Southeast Asia—Vietnam, and Philippines.
You could see new percentages—higher or lower.

* Not only have new data and new methods enabled AncestryDNA to identify dozens of new regions, they have also improved our ability to determine how likely it is you belong to a region. These improvements mean that your percentages for a region could go up or down.

You could see regions drop off your estimate.

* Because what AncestryDNA knows about the relationships between regions and DNA has improved, some regions may disappear from your estimate.

The new ethnicity version has started to roll out to new DNA participants and is expected to start gradually rolling out to everyone in the next 2-4 weeks. Thank you for your patience while we make this transition.

So it is not that far away. Something to look forward too.

Loderingo
04-24-2018, 09:27 PM

I understand your frustration Fionn. Hopefully when the results finally arrive it will be worth it. I definitely think Living DNA have the potential to be the best and not just for GB but it's about them having enough resources to do things quicker.

JerryS.
04-25-2018, 02:36 AM
OK guys

Your ethnicity estimate is based on the data we have and the methods we use to compare your results to that data. Because we’re always collecting more data and our methods are constantly improving, your estimate may change over time.
Your percentages for a region could change. Some new regions could appear. Some old regions, especially low-percentage regions, could disappear. Or you might not see much change at all.

What could change?
* When AncestryDNA launched in 2012, we compared your DNA against 22 possible regions. We now have more than 150.

* For example, instead of one Iberian Peninsula region, we now have separate regions for Spain, Portugal, and Basque. And our Asia East region has been replaced by China, Korea and Northern Asia, Japan, Southeast Asia—Dai (Tai), Southeast Asia—Vietnam, and Philippines.

* Not only have new data and new methods enabled AncestryDNA to identify dozens of new regions, they have also improved our ability to determine how likely it is you belong to a region. These improvements mean that your percentages for a region could go up or down.

* Because what AncestryDNA knows about the relationships between regions and DNA has improved, some regions may disappear from your estimate.

The new ethnicity version has started to roll out to new DNA participants and is expected to start gradually rolling out to everyone in the next 2-4 weeks. Thank you for your patience while we make this transition.

so, a person's 5% Scandinavian can change to 15% or disappear completely. wow.

tomz
04-25-2018, 02:41 AM
I am curious to see what happens with my trace regions in particular with this update.

Lemba
04-25-2018, 03:50 AM

This is probably more in line with how it seems they have dropped Southeastern Bantu which was highly informative to compare folks with ancestry in places east of Congo vs folks with ancestry west of Congo. Also helped new worlders know how likely theri dna was angolan/malagasy vs cameroonian or congolese (in the bantu spectrum)

However I can see they would have "merged" to then later break it out.

sktibo
04-25-2018, 03:56 AM
2 weeks eh.. I can't wait that long! Thank you for getting that info out of them Timberwolf. I expect a complete overhaul for myself and my family collection. Our ethnicity estimates are just trash in their current state.

kostoffj
04-25-2018, 03:59 AM
2 weeks eh.. I can't wait that long! Thank you for getting that info out of them Timberwolf. I expect a complete overhaul for myself and my family collection. Our ethnicity estimates are just trash in their current state.

Same, haha I am also impatient like that. Ancestry's ethnicity estimates have always been way out of whack for me compared to other services, but the GCs are good. Nice to see them making big revisions.

ianz91
04-25-2018, 06:39 AM
Same, haha I am also impatient like that. Ancestry's ethnicity estimates have always been way out of whack for me compared to other services, but the GCs are good. Nice to see them making big revisions.

AncestryDNA's ethnicity estimates are far superior to other services, especially 23andme. At least Ancestry can assign people's ancestry to a region, they don't have none of that "Broadly European", "Broadly Northwestern European" nonsense. Don't get me started on 23andme's confidence levels either, I get over 50% Broadly European on there, which is not very helpful. Other people also get a lot of unassigned, which again proves that 23andme's ancestry composition is unreliable. FTDNA's myorigins is a disaster and not worth going into detail about.

Loderingo
04-25-2018, 08:41 AM
OK guys

What could change?

I'm interested in the bit about collecting more data. Their current reference panel is 3,000 samples for the whole world. This includes, for example, only 111 samples for Great Britain and 81 for Iberia. I'd hope the reference panel will at least double, if they are breaking some of these regions down further.

kostoffj
04-25-2018, 02:17 PM
AncestryDNA's ethnicity estimates are far superior to other services, especially 23andme. At least Ancestry can assign people's ancestry to a region, they don't have none of that "Broadly European", "Broadly Northwestern European" nonsense. Don't get me started on 23andme's confidence levels either, I get over 50% Broadly European on there, which is not very helpful. Other people also get a lot of unassigned, which again proves that 23andme's ancestry composition is unreliable. FTDNA's myorigins is a disaster and not worth going into detail about.

All your assertions seem to be based on sample n = 1. I said my AncestryDNA estimate were way off based on my known ancestry and as measured elsewhere. Now I’m wrong because why?

BTW I prefer the “broadly X” approach to saying that I’m X% Scandinavian when I have no Scandinavian ancestry, then the fine print says Scandinavian could also mean British or German or some other northwestern European ethnicity. Words should mean things, after all.

Your DNA shows that you have ancestry from Scandinavia and links you to these specific regions:
Germany & the Midwestern United States

lol ok Ancestry

jshook
04-25-2018, 04:50 PM

I would prefer that, honestly. Of the three I've tested with, Ancestry but me at 8% Scandinavian versus 3.8% at 23andMe and 1.4% at LivingDNA. I'm almost certainly not 8% Scandinavian.

jshook
04-25-2018, 04:55 PM
I have to agree with everyone else that Ancestry is definitely NOT the best of the three for me personally.

I don't love 23andMe's "broadly" categories (14% of my results ended up in five different broadly categories.) But Ancestry's results are just wildly divergent, not just with other companies but also my known paper trail. For example, they have me as 31% Ireland/Scotland/Wales but my actual ancestry is predominately south-central English. There is zero chance I'm actually that high. And as noted above, they have a strangely high level of Scandinavian listed for me. I know it's probably ancient, Orkney, etc. etc. but it seems that my Celtic-based DNA is vastly overstated compared to 23andMe and LivingDNA.

JerryS.
04-25-2018, 05:12 PM
I would prefer that, honestly. Of the three I've tested with, Ancestry but me at 8% Scandinavian versus 3.8% at 23andMe and 1.4% at LivingDNA. I'm almost certainly not 8% Scandinavian.

that might be misread or cross over from you English and Scottish heritage as Scandinavia had direct influence on those two regions.

jshook
04-25-2018, 05:18 PM
that might be misread or cross over from you English and Scottish heritage as Scandinavia had direct influence on those two regions.

I'm sure it probably is. But, although I've been not terribly impressed with 23andMe's "dots" update, they correctly gave me higher strength for "United Kingdom" than "Ireland." Whereas Ancestry has me at 31% Ireland/Scotland/Wales and 17% Great Britain when those numbers should, in reality, be flipped. I am hoping this upcoming update separates that out a bit better though.

JerryS.
04-25-2018, 05:33 PM
I'm sure it probably is. But, although I've been not terribly impressed with 23andMe's "dots" update, they correctly gave me higher strength for "United Kingdom" than "Ireland." Whereas Ancestry has me at 31% Ireland/Scotland/Wales and 17% Great Britain when those numbers should, in reality, be flipped. I am hoping this upcoming update separates that out a bit better though.

forgive my ignorance, but it is the same island for three of those and the other island is so near by and has such a tight history with the other one, can't it be that your "English" is showing low because of migration into England from the other groups?

jshook
04-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Possibly. I'm simply saying that both 23andMe and Living DNA (which correctly assigned me down specific regions of England) were much better at differentiating English and Celtic (i.e. Irish/Scottish) DNA. Living DNA had me at about 10% Scottish and the rest English, which is what it should be. 23andMe also put me as a stronger England match than an Irish one. Make sense? I think there's something up with Ancestry's sample that makes it overstate Irish DNA, as I've heard that complaint repeatedly by many different people. Which is fine but maybe then don't advertise as if you can really differentiate the two, ya know?

ianz91
04-25-2018, 08:12 PM
All your assertions seem to be based on sample n = 1. I said my AncestryDNA estimate were way off based on my known ancestry and as measured elsewhere. Now I’m wrong because why?

BTW I prefer the “broadly X” approach to saying that I’m X% Scandinavian when I have no Scandinavian ancestry, then the fine print says Scandinavian could also mean British or German or some other northwestern European ethnicity. Words should mean things, after all.

I didn't say you were wrong, I just find the other major DNA testing companies, 23andme and FTDNA, to be inaccurate compared to AncestryDNA. I used to hate on AncestryDNA, like many other people do, but I realized after researching my family genealogy, that AncestryDNA was in fact more accurate. And it's not just me. Take for example those sets of triplets who tested with 23andme, FTDNA, and AncestryDNA. AncestryDNA was the only test to give accurate ethnicity results, while 23andme and FTDNA failed. That's a huge red flag and people should really watch that video if they haven't already

ianz91
04-25-2018, 08:16 PM

23andme's dot update is a huge fail. There have been Italians on 23andme with over 60% Italian but only have 1 dot for Italy.

JerryS.
04-25-2018, 08:29 PM
will this ancestry update mean reinterpreting the test data they already ran or re-examining the entire test data for a new interpretation? would one benefit from submitting a new dna sample for a completely new reading?

msmarjoribanks
04-25-2018, 08:54 PM
forgive my ignorance, but it is the same island for three of those and the other island is so near by and has such a tight history with the other one, can't it be that your "English" is showing low because of migration into England from the other groups?

Exactly.

In addition, my guess is that Scandinavian plus Irish (or Welsh, etc) would potentially look a lot like English (especially in areas with lots of Danish input, which itself is pretty impossible to sort out from German input, given the source of much of the German migration to the British Isles).

Same German plus Irish, etc.

My Ancestry results overstate my Scandinavian (28% vs. about 12.5%), give me about 20% Welsh/Irish/Scottish (which is probably in the ballpark), and dump most of the rest in Western European, with only a tiny amount of English and "low confidence region" given. In reality I'm over 50% English, probably (quite hard to sort out from Welsh/Irish/Scottish, for me, as a segment of my English ancestors lived on the border of Wales, and I know others intermarried with some Scots back in England, and once they came to America it gets more confusing). Nonetheless, under 5% is absurd and inconsistent with what I get from everywhere else. I don't think this makes Ancestry's results bad, though -- you just can't really sort out these types of results without knowing the paper trail.

jshook
04-25-2018, 08:54 PM
23andme's dot update is a huge fail. There have been Italians on 23andme with over 60% Italian but only have 1 dot for Italy.

Yeah. I seen some people get some interesting dot results, even on smaller (less than 5%) percentages. For both my husband and myself, we both got nothing outside of the UK/Ireland (and he's mixed European and African-American.) Of course last time I criticized the dot system, I got snarked at for it here. Haha

crossover
04-25-2018, 10:21 PM
not seeing any notable differences in dna results of kits i manage

euromutt
04-25-2018, 11:34 PM
not seeing any notable differences in dna results of kits i manage

Have your kits already been updated to the new regions? If so, can you post the comparisons for before and after?

crossover
04-26-2018, 06:31 AM
Have your kits already been updated to the new regions? If so, can you post the comparisons for before and after?

I'll just start off posting my grandpa jose's results from prior to ancestry's layout change for now. i may add others later

mwauthy
04-26-2018, 12:18 PM
I'll just start off posting my grandpa jose's results from prior to ancestry's layout change for now. i may add others later

Those pics are not showing the new regions. Great Britain is now England and Wales. Ancestry had an update several months ago. However, a new update will be occurring in the next month.

fostert
04-27-2018, 09:35 PM
I have to agree with everyone else that Ancestry is definitely NOT the best of the three for me personally.

I don't love 23andMe's "broadly" categories (14% of my results ended up in five different broadly categories.) But Ancestry's results are just wildly divergent, not just with other companies but also my known paper trail. For example, they have me as 31% Ireland/Scotland/Wales but my actual ancestry is predominately south-central English. There is zero chance I'm actually that high. And as noted above, they have a strangely high level of Scandinavian listed for me. I know it's probably ancient, Orkney, etc. etc. but it seems that my Celtic-based DNA is vastly overstated compared to 23andMe and LivingDNA.

Actually, 23andme's "Broad" categories are to be commended, and are the right thing to do, rather than erroneously assigning ambiguous SNPs to components at all costs. 23andme rightly don't want the generally uneducated public to be chasing down ghost ethnicities that should not be taken too seriously.
This is one reason I trust their estimator the most of all of them - like LivingDNA they allow you to see the limits of their algorithm and reference population. Ancestry does this too, by giving one percent limits for each component estimated. Those should be taken much more seriously than they are by the public, IMO.

sktibo
04-28-2018, 04:37 AM
Actually, 23andme's "Broad" categories are to be commended, and are the right thing to do, rather than erroneously assigning ambiguous SNPs to components at all costs. 23andme rightly don't want the generally uneducated public to be chasing down ghost ethnicities that should not be taken too seriously.
This is one reason I trust their estimator the most of all of them - like LivingDNA they allow you to see the limits of their algorithm and reference population. Ancestry does this too, by giving one percent limits for each component estimated. Those should be taken much more seriously than they are by the public, IMO.

Well said!

mwauthy
04-28-2018, 03:28 PM
Well said!

23andMe’s non broadly categories are not perfect either though. I received 23% British Isles when I have no ancestry from there. In theory almost all percentages should be put into broadly categories.

Living DNA’s Cautious Mode is far from exact either giving me 63% UK. These companies should not assign nationalistic borders to snps that are found broadly all over Europe.

sktibo
04-28-2018, 03:33 PM
23andMe’s non broadly categories are not perfect either though. I received 23% British Isles when I have no ancestry from there. In theory almost all percentages should be put into broadly categories.

No test is perfect for everyone mwauthy, but more people appear to have 23andme most closely match their paper trails than the other commercial tests.

mwauthy
04-28-2018, 04:04 PM
No test is perfect for everyone mwauthy, but more people appear to have 23andme most closely match their paper trails than the other commercial tests.

I agree because 23andMe is looking at longer chromosome segments so more recent ancestry which matches paper trails better. I personally believe it’s difficult to assign Northwestern European ancestry to specific countries so why bother.

Current 23andMe results used to be labeled 50% Speculatively accurate in the past which I feel was a more honest approach. Under their 90% correct analysis I remember the majority of my ethnicity estimate fell under “Broadly European.” Having most of your dna being assigned to “Broadly European” isn’t very fun but was probably an honest approach.

A lot of these ethnicity estimates are causing people to chase phantom ancestors or to question their own paper trails with non paternal events because the estimates are misleading. I understand than Northern France and Belgium are closely related to Southern England. However, the average layman might be utterly confused by receiving results saying they are 63% English.

euromutt
04-28-2018, 04:27 PM

Agreed. Additionally, the field would never make progress if they simply went with the safest bet.

100 years from now the borders could be completely different again from where they are now. It’s never going to be a perfect science, but I believe that’s why most of us are so interested in the field.

sktibo
04-28-2018, 06:36 PM
I agree because 23andMe is looking at longer chromosome segments so more recent ancestry which matches paper trails better. I personally believe it’s difficult to assign Northwestern European ancestry to specific countries so why bother.

Current 23andMe results used to be labeled 50% Speculatively accurate in the past which I feel was a more honest approach. Under their 90% correct analysis I remember the majority of my ethnicity estimate fell under “Broadly European.” Having most of your dna being assigned to “Broadly European” isn’t very fun but was probably an honest approach.

A lot of these ethnicity estimates are causing people to chase phantom ancestors or to question their own paper trails with non paternal events because the estimates are misleading. I understand than Northern France and Belgium are closely related to Southern England. However, the average layman might be utterly confused by receiving results saying they are 63% English.

All very good points. I heard that Ancestry re-named the new England and Wales to Great Britain and Northwestern Europe. A very good move I think, and a decent solution to the point you make

coffeeprince
04-28-2018, 09:31 PM
I think the "broadly" category that 23andme uses is definitely the right thing to do. Although it's annoying a significant chunk of my ancestry falls under these broadly categories, it's better than being given "Caucasus" like AncestryDNA does when neither 23andme, FTDNA, MyHeritage, etc. gives me that area.

mwauthy
04-28-2018, 10:03 PM
All very good points. I heard that Ancestry re-named the new England and Wales to Great Britain and Northwestern Europe. A very good move I think, and a decent solution to the point you make

I’m happy to hear that they are renaming that region to include Northwestern. So now my French Canadian Uncle will receive 64% Northwestern instead of Great Britain. Imagine his surprise when he received 64% Great Britain and 0% Europe West, especially since the Europe West map covered all of France and all his ancestors have French surnames.

timberwolf
04-28-2018, 10:12 PM
I think the "broadly" category that 23andme uses is definitely the right thing to do. Although it's annoying a significant chunk of my ancestry falls under these broadly categories, it's better than being given "Caucasus" like AncestryDNA does when neither 23andme, FTDNA, MyHeritage, etc. gives me that area.

delete

timberwolf
04-28-2018, 10:14 PM

Is it official that they are going down the path on naming that region GB and NW Euro?

I asked a follow up question to my inquiry, asking what the British and French regions would be named and got a rather non committal answer on what the regions were going to be.

sktibo
04-28-2018, 10:37 PM
Is it official that they are going down the path on naming that region GB and NW Euro?

I asked a follow up question to my inquiry, asking what the British and French regions would be named and got a rather non committal answer on what the regions were going to be.

Not a certainty unfortunately. At the very least, if the new region is named "England and Wales" the map for it very clearly covers Northern France and the Low Countries.

oz
04-29-2018, 08:11 PM
They added this on mine last time I checked:

Northeast Italy, Croatia & Bosnia and Herzegovina
You probably have relatives who lived in this region in the past few hundred years.
Your connection to this region is likely through your ancestry from:

Europe East
Europe South

1750–1775
Northeast Italy, Croatia & Bosnia and Herzegovina
The City of Blacksmiths
After the House of Zrinski opened an iron mine in the 17th century, people flocked to the area, and Fužine, Croatia, quickly grew to be a city of blacksmiths, miners, and iron workers searching for work. With so many laborers concentrated in such a relatively small area, other industries sprang up, and Fužine soon became a key commercial center in southeastern Europe, producing some of the area’s finest carriages for aristocracy and gentry alike.

1775–1800
Venice and the Slavs
Leading up to the 18th century, Venice was one of Europe’s most powerful and wealthy cities. The rest of Europe looked to Venice as a leader in art, music, and architecture. For years it also dominated the sea in commerce and trade. Venice enjoyed self-government until 1794 when Napoleon captured the city and sold it to the Habsburgs, a royal house that ruled much of Europe. Given its proximity to northern Croatia—just across the Adriatic Sea—many Venetians lived in Croatia, and Croats traveled and traded with the Venetians, with both cultures informing and influencing the other.

1800–1825
Rijeka: The Favorite Child of Empires
The Habsburg Empire purchased the city of Rijeka in the 1400s. Although their control lasted for several centuries, it didn’t diminish the city’s diversity and increased its rivalry with neighboring Venice. Given its strategic geographic location on the northwest coast of modern-day Croatia, Rijeka was a powerful and thriving port city in the 1800s. It attracted people from all over the region, including Italians, Germans, Greeks, Slovenians, Serbs, and Croats. Its deep port facilitated trade and encouraged commerce, so much so that the city was a constant bickering point between Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Italians.

1825–1900
The Rise of Slavic Nationalism
By the 19th century ethnic Croats and Serbs were chafing under the rule of the Habsburg Empire. Croat intellectuals started a movement that attempted to awaken Slavic identity and culture with the hope of eventually gaining autonomy for the first time in their history. Slavic cultural traditions, language, and religion rose in popular esteem and practice as these groups fought back against the Germanization and Magyarization of their people. As a result of the movement, many Slavs relocated to Zagreb, the main political and cultural center of Croatia.

1900–1925
America Offers Stability
Political and economic uncertainty plagued Eastern and Central Europe at the turn of the 20th century as rumblings of the Habsburg Empire’s downfall flew through the region. Consequently, opportunities in America drew hundreds of immigrants from Croatia and surrounding areas to cities like Chicago, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh, where they found steady work and acceptance of their minority ethnic status. Colorado offered coal mining and smelters for anyone who was physically able to withstand the backbreaking and dangerous work, and thousands of Slavs traveled to the Rockies to fill those jobs.

1925–1950
Fleeing the Aftermath of World War I
With the collapse of the Habsburg and Ottoman Empires after World War I, much of Europe found itself in chaos. While early Slavic immigrants to America tended to be less educated, those who left after the First World War usually had more skills, as American sentiment had turned against immigration and the criteria to enter the country became more rigid. Even so, America still beckoned as a place unmarked by the savage trauma of the first “modern” war of the 20th century. Clannish, religious, and devoted to their traditions, most Slavs followed others from their homeland who had gone before, and large communities formed in Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Cleveland.

tomz
04-29-2018, 11:04 PM
I used to be upset with the "broadly" categories with 23andMe, but as I learn more about the science, I would much rather be assigned into a broad region then grouped into a subregion/country that may not be correctly assigned to me. I want results that are as accurate as possible and I that means more "broadly" then so-be-it. This is still a very new science, and as more samples are gathered there will be more precision.

kujira692
04-30-2018, 12:00 PM
So my niece just received her results back from testing, and she has the new format, but when I look at my match to her I can still see her regions broken down in the current format (but obviously with no percentages attached); so just for comparison going from least to most she had received:

(Trace Regions: Europe East, Europe South, Iberian Peninsula, Finland/Northwest Russia, Asia Central), Europe West, Ireland/Scotland/Wales, Great Britain

Those results are now:

Norway 2%, Ireland and Scotland 9%, England and Wales 89%

So I'm happy that it seems like a lot of the noise is cleared away from the trace regions.

hdurmic
04-30-2018, 02:28 PM
I hope they make an official statement in regards to this. It still looks like some new people aren’t getting this update.. although when it comes to the matches/DNA comparisons on mobile device... they are still calculating the old format for everyone..

mwauthy
05-03-2018, 12:19 AM
OK guys

What could change?

One week down, one to go?🤔

timberwolf
05-03-2018, 12:39 AM
One week down, one to go?��

We can only hope.

jshook
05-03-2018, 05:06 PM
One week down, one to go?��

Thanks for this info! As someone with a lot of "East Asian" DNA, I always found it odd that they couldn't break it down any further. This should def help.

bzaa't
05-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Did no one on the forum get the update yet? I'm curious to see the entire new breakdown of all available populations. I also saw on Instagram they now separated Turkey and Caucasus from (what I assume is now) Iran.

Touchet
05-05-2018, 02:20 PM
When you get your ethnicity evaluate, the main thing you search for are the locale names and rates, correct? "I'm 32% Ireland! 24% Native American! 9% Benin/Togo—where's Benin/Togo?" But there are some different numbers that are similarly as critical.

jshook
05-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Did no one on the forum get the update yet? I'm curious to see the entire new breakdown of all available populations. I also saw on Instagram they now separated Turkey and Caucasus from (what I assume is now) Iran.

Not only have I not, I chatted with customer service and the "Expert" they assigned to me had no idea what I was talking about and insisted that those regions had always been there. Her exact words: "Even brand new testers are still falling under the same general regions like Europe West and Iberian Peninsula. Any further breakdown is under the subregions.

Here is a screenshot of results of a family member that I received just this week: https://imgur.com/a/XVE6PPn

As you can see, the broad regions are still the same. It's only once you open them up and look at the further breakdowns that you can see anything else.

So new testers results look just like our results.

That being said, 23andMe also rolled out updated ethnicity regions recently. It's possible that their broad regions have changed. Could the people you've been hearing from have tested with them?"

Even though we can obviously see that 1. that isn't true and 2. that contradicts timberwolf was told. When I pressed her and replied with screenshots showing the new regions, she simply disconnected the chat. lol *shrug*

bzaa't
05-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Not only have I not, I chatted with customer service and the "Expert" they assigned to me had no idea what I was talking about and insisted that those regions had always been there. Her exact words: "Even brand new testers are still falling under the same general regions like Europe West and Iberian Peninsula. Any further breakdown is under the subregions.

Here is a screenshot of results of a family member that I received just this week:

As you can see, the broad regions are still the same. It's only once you open them up and look at the further breakdowns that you can see anything else.

So new testers results look just like our results.

That being said, 23andMe also rolled out updated ethnicity regions recently. It's possible that their broad regions have changed. Could the people you've been hearing from have tested with them?"

Even though we can obviously see that 1. that isn't true and 2. that contradicts timberwolf was told. When I pressed her and replied with screenshots showing the new regions, she simply disconnected the chat. lol *shrug*

Lol, so much for being an expert. I guess we'll have to wait and see. It's just that I want to order the Ancestry kit but not before this update is final and official.

JerryS.
05-05-2018, 04:06 PM
When you get your ethnicity evaluate, the main thing you search for are the locale names and rates, correct? "I'm 32% Ireland! 24% Native American! 9% Benin/Togo—where's Benin/Togo?" But there are some different numbers that are similarly as critical.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Benin/Togo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilqbnU-e7aAhWJ6lMKHUy-AeoQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=659#imgrc=DkU9ILxXkfgfyM:&spf=1525536400260

euromutt
05-05-2018, 08:15 PM
I’ve tried reaching out to some of the people with screenshots of the new results on Instagram but not a single one has responded. Has anyone else had any luck with this?

An odd thing I noticed was that none of the screenshots of new regions show “Low Confidence Regions” separating their higher and lower percentages. It lists all results from 100% down to 1% without any break in distinction like the current results. (Unless there is a way to display them without it saying low confidence that I haven’t figured out yet?)

I’m beginning to wonder if this is all an elaborate hoax. :(

cvolt
05-05-2018, 08:55 PM
I’ve tried reaching out to some of the people with screenshots of the new results on Instagram but not a single one has responded. Has anyone else had any luck with this?

An odd thing I noticed was that none of the screenshots of new regions show “Low Confidence Regions” separating their higher and lower percentages. It lists all results from 100% down to 1% without any break in distinction like the current results. (Unless there is a way to display them without it saying low confidence that I haven’t figured out yet?)

I’m beginning to wonder if this is all an elaborate hoax. :(

I think there are some YouTube videos with the "new" results, if I remember correctly.
My patience is running low too haha

kujira692
05-05-2018, 11:44 PM
No there are new regions and results. My family has had 6 different tests done over the last 2 years or so, and my niece just got her results this week and hers are in a totally new format that have none of the current regions.

Modernancientdna
05-05-2018, 11:54 PM
No there are new regions and results. My family has had 6 different tests done over the last 2 years or so, and my niece just got her results this week and hers are in a totally new format that have none of the current regions.

Post results if possible

kujira692
05-06-2018, 12:04 AM
Here is my niece's results:

sktibo
05-06-2018, 12:05 AM

That is very exciting!

FionnSneachta
05-06-2018, 05:16 PM
I don't expect my results to change too much but I'm curious to see where my small Scandinavian percentage gets assigned.

bzaa't
05-06-2018, 05:47 PM

Cool! Care to post the entire list of regions if possible?

kujira692
05-07-2018, 02:18 AM
That should be possible. I'll have to wait for my niece, since it's her account, but I should be able to get a look at the list!

Angriff
05-07-2018, 02:21 AM
I think you can see the list even in an un-updated account if you click the link to show all regions.

FionnSneachta
05-07-2018, 09:23 AM
I think you can see the list even in an un-updated account if you click the link to show all regions.

No, it still lists the regions by the old names like Great Britain, Ireland/Scotland/Wales, etc. when you click to show all regions.

kujira692
05-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Okay so here are the regions: (also, there is "Sweden" underneath "Spain" for Europe, I just couldn't fit it in)

kujira692
05-07-2018, 01:20 PM
And the last one (I couldn't only do 5 images at a time)

daragon39
05-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Looks interesting.

timberwolf
05-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Just wish they would get on with it.

ianz91
05-07-2018, 09:33 PM
AncestryDNA's updates are by far superior to 23andme's so far.

digital_noise
05-07-2018, 10:21 PM
I dont know what it is, but waiting on DNA related updates, kit processing etc.. brings out the worst, most impatience in me. I'm talking young boy, age 7 waiting for next Christmas impatience. They need to get on with it, pronto!

sktibo
05-08-2018, 03:56 AM
I dont know what it is, but waiting on DNA related updates, kit processing etc.. brings out the worst, most impatience in me. I'm talking young boy, age 7 waiting for next Christmas impatience. They need to get on with it, pronto!

yes, this

AbdoNumen
05-08-2018, 04:21 AM
Not very informative or progressive on West Asia, as far as I'm concerned. The overlap between Turkey/Caucasus/Iran is just too great. I believe that a company this size can get enough samples to narrow down the region.

jshook
05-08-2018, 04:59 AM

Same. It's bizarre to me that they know we all know about this update but they haven't officially said a word about it.

selectivememri
05-08-2018, 01:30 PM
i think they made it worse for themselves with that little little info button that says "Up To Date", and the appearance that the results had been recalibrated, without any of the data changing. Plus what other users said, no official public statement that they'd be rolling out changes, or a solid date for when to expect them by, so in the meanwhile we're all distrustfully refreshing our results being like "is this it? did it happen? are they just going to skip mine?"

fostert
05-08-2018, 02:14 PM
I wonder what size the reference panel will be? Ancestry is lagging far behind right now with only 3000 people, compared to 23andme's >10000. With their database of testers over 7 million they should be able to do better?

ianz91
05-08-2018, 07:44 PM
I wonder what size the reference panel will be? Ancestry is lagging far behind right now with only 3000 people, compared to 23andme's >10000. With their database of testers over 7 million they should be able to do better?

Yes, considering Ancestry's database is over 10 million people right now.

Researcher212
05-08-2018, 07:47 PM
I called Ancestry to ask about when will the new update be applied to everyone, and the agent I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about! So I called back and spoke with another agent who wasn't much help either and she just stated that Ancestry will offer periodic updates to the website, and that was it.

timberwolf
05-09-2018, 12:59 AM
I called Ancestry to ask about when will the new update be applied to everyone, and the agent I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about! So I called back and spoke with another agent who wasn't much help either and she just stated that Ancestry will offer periodic updates to the website, and that was it.

Yeah that is interesting

I got a rather detailed reply a couple of weeks ago from Australia stating it would be 2-4 weeks. I followed the message up and got a different rep, who I got the distinct impression, that she was annoyed that I had asked a follow up question. Something about being patient.

I sent another message inquiring about the update during the weekend and received no reply as of yet. It has been two weeks since I received that message.

It is all rather strange. My patience is kinda at an end, to be honest.

jshook
05-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Apparently we're all getting crazy mixed messages. Some 2-4 weeks, some have no idea, and some like me have no firm date because "it's sill in beta testing." Welp.

Reply from Ancestry:

Hello Joshua,

Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regard to ethnicity updates.

Ancestry does update our ethnicity regions as we are able to gather more information. The most recent update that you are describing is still in the Beta testing phase and as such not everyone will see it yet. Unfortunately we do not have a specific time frame for when this update will be done with the Beta testing phase and available to every member.

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to reply to this message or call us at 1-800-ANCESTRY (1-800-262-3787) between the hours of 9am to 11pm EST, seven days a week.

Sincerely,

Rachael
Customer Solutions Associate
Ancestry

timberwolf
05-10-2018, 08:06 PM
This is what I received in a follow up email.

Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regards to an update for AncestryDNA ethnicity results.

We apologize for the delayed response and appreciate your patience.

We are happy to hear how excited you are for updated ethnicity information. This is still in the process and we do not have a time frame of when it will be online. When new information is released, expect to see it announced on the blog and an email saying that we have released new information.

Hope this helps!

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to reply to this email or call us at 1-800-251-838 between the hours of 9 AM to 8 PM AEST, Monday through Friday or between the hours of 9 AM to 4 PM AEST, Saturday and Sunday

selectivememri
05-10-2018, 09:20 PM
ugh, get it together ancestry!

kujira692
05-11-2018, 02:32 AM
I'm likely reading into things too much, but my kits' ethnicity breakdowns aren't displaying anymore. Where the pie chart would be is a broken image link, and when you click to view the map, it doesn't list any regions, it just immediately zooms into a genetic community. Also clicking on the "view regions list" doesn't load any of the regions names.

daragon39
05-11-2018, 02:40 AM
I'm likely reading into things too much, but my kits' ethnicity breakdowns aren't displaying anymore. Where the pie chart would be is a broken image link, and when you click to view the map, it doesn't list any regions, it just immediately zooms into a genetic community. Also clicking on the "view regions list" doesn't load any of the regions names.

Mine aren't showing either and my map isn't loading the regions or breakdowns too. Looks like we may be getting the update?

laulei
05-11-2018, 02:43 AM

I just checked mine and I'm seeing the same thing.

fostert
05-11-2018, 02:47 AM

Yup - 10 PM Central Daylight and ethnicity estimates are still down. Maybe?...naaaa

mwauthy
05-11-2018, 03:02 AM

Me too for my account and both of my parents. Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow morning I’ll see new regions lol. It’s 8pm pacific.

daragon39
05-11-2018, 03:36 AM
Just came back up with the same old results. So no update. Ancestry sure does know how to play with people's heads.

kujira692
05-11-2018, 03:37 AM
Well if nothing else that was a fun little drill that brought us closer together as a board *haha*

Saba123
05-11-2018, 06:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piMWjJ2k-50
heres a video with all the new categories. I'm so excited for this update !!!! its very detailed

Nqp15hhu
05-11-2018, 11:51 AM
No changes. I am particularly interested to see if my Europe West changes to England or France/Germany.

Clarke
05-11-2018, 12:06 PM
No changes. I am particularly interested to see if my Europe West changes to England or France/Germany.

I'm with you on that one, personally with 28% (range 5-40%) WE & 27% SEngland (range 0-55%) and a paper trail tracking back three-four hundred years from South England and Southern Ireland it's always interesting to find more information

bzaa't
05-11-2018, 12:54 PM
This update really makes me want to purchase it...
By the way while we're at it, has anyone here ordered it on eBay? They won't ship to my country so it's the only option for me but it feels kind of risky.

jshook
05-11-2018, 02:30 PM

Same. Especially since 23andMe was unable to place my "French/German" results into any particular country. I'm also hoping they fix their problem with overstating Irish at the expense of English with this update. Right now, they have me 31% "Ireland/Scotland/Wales" and 17% "Great Britain", when those in reality should be reversed.

https://image.ibb.co/gt6bkd/ancestry2.png

Tz85
05-11-2018, 02:45 PM
This is clearly NOT an update, the video posted is a summary of all present regions within the test. You can yourself run through them all, the video is simply showing them all.

lilac9
05-11-2018, 03:23 PM
This is clearly NOT an update, the video posted is a summary of all present regions within the test. You can yourself run through them all, the video is simply showing them all.

It is an update because Eastern Africa is there which is not in the present regions. The question is rather when or will they implement it to all users.

jshook
05-11-2018, 04:01 PM

It absolutely is an update. You're confusing Genetic Communities (which you *can* look at all of them) with the new regions that don't exist in the old version. Here are two examples posted this week on Instagram. As you can see in the first one, where us old testers get "Scotland/Ireland/Wales" and "Great Britain", there are now separate regions for "England and Wales" and "Ireland and Scotland". Where old testers get "Scandinavian", they've now split up Sweden and Norway. And France, which is under "Europe West" in he old test, is now it's own separate category. None of those exist in the old test, even if you try to go to the "150+ Ancestry categories". Because they're new.

Same in the 2nd pic. Italy goes from "Europe South" to it's own separate category. A brand new category called "Germanic Europe" also appears that seems to cover much of what is "Europe West" outside of France. And Greece and the Balkans become their own category. As you can see, under that persons Italy result, they do get put into the Southern Italy Genetic Community, which we can all see now. But that broad Italian subset is a totally new thing.

https://image.ibb.co/gbP78y/Screenshot_83.png
https://image.ibb.co/gtKPoy/Screenshot_84.png

RobinBMc
05-11-2018, 11:02 PM

It is an update. Previously, Europe was broken down like this, for percentages (not including GCs which have no percentages):

Europe East
Europe South
Europe West
European Jewish
Finland/NW Russia
Great Britain
Iberian Peninsula
Ireland/Scotland/Wales
Scandinavia

With the update, it includes percentages for:

Baltic States
Basque
Eastern Europe and Russia
England and Wales
European Jewish
Finland
France
Germanic Europe
Greece and the Balkans
Ireland and Scotland
Italy
Norway
Portugal
Sardinia
Spain
Sweden

16 regions/groups versus the current 9. Several groups are getting split up into more specific regions.

JerryS.
05-12-2018, 12:55 AM
I have some ancestry kits from people I'm told were family. using the default GEDmatch SNP 700 and 5 cm no match shows, but lowering them down to 300 and 3 we match all over the place. is this the result of a false positive or distant relations?

Saba123
05-12-2018, 04:37 AM
I'm getting antsy, I want to see my damn new results its been weeks. Why does this take so long? I wish they could just give a set date so I can stop checking.

jshook
05-12-2018, 02:25 PM
The most interesting thing to me is that the vast majority of new testers on Instagram are still getting the old test breakdown. Only a handful are getting the updated version. I wonder how Ancestry chooses.

jshook
05-12-2018, 02:28 PM
I am extremely happy to finally see people getting results than aren't just "Asia East" though. I'll be interested to see what happens with my 26% in that category.

https://preview.ibb.co/cGEe6J/Screenshot_86.png

Sizzles
05-12-2018, 03:42 PM
No changes to mine and it says up to date may 2018. My kit was processed in April so maybe it already includes changes. Whatever they are.

Nqp15hhu
05-12-2018, 03:55 PM
My kit also says updated 'May 2018'.

RobinBMc
05-13-2018, 09:46 PM
The most interesting thing to me is that the vast majority of new testers on Instagram are still getting the old test breakdown. Only a handful are getting the updated version. I wonder how Ancestry chooses.

It's probably random, and it suggests it's still in beta testing, meaning it will likely be weeks, if not months, before it's rolled out to everyone.

timberwolf
05-13-2018, 09:59 PM
It's probably random, and it suggests it's still in beta testing, meaning it will likely be weeks, if not months, before it's rolled out to everyone.

Agree totally. I am sure it will eventually happen. Just not holding my breath while we wait.

jortita
05-14-2018, 02:00 AM
My results are not yet updated

Nqp15hhu
05-14-2018, 03:48 PM
What do people suspect the Europe West will change to?

Dewsloth
05-14-2018, 04:21 PM
My dad just got his results, yesterday, and they are still in the old format.

OTOH, within hours, he got contacted by the daughter of one of his decades-deceased cousins on our German side, so we're pretty happy with how things are turning out so far.

mwauthy
05-14-2018, 05:52 PM
My dad just got his results, yesterday, and they are still in the old format.

OTOH, within hours, he got contacted by the daughter of one of his decades-deceased cousins on our German side, so we're pretty happy with how things are turning out so far.

It’s a bit disconcerting that people are still getting new results in the old format. That tells me that it’s definitely still in the Beta phase and who knows when if ever they will decide to do an update for everyone.

FionnSneachta
05-14-2018, 06:11 PM
My dad's paternal aunt's (my grandaunt) DNA came in yesterday. Her results are in the old format unfortunately. Ancestry do a lot of things in Beta testing that never get released to everyone so I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't either. These were my grandaunt's results anyway:

Ireland/Scotland/Wales 95%
Europe South 2%
Great Britain 1%
Europe West <1%
European Jewish <1%

It's the first time that any of my family (the 4 that had tested before this) have gotten Europe South, Europe West and European Jewish so that's interesting to me anyway.
Her genetic community is Connacht, Ireland with the places in this region being North Connacht and Galway.

My results: 96% Ireland, 2% Great Britain, 1% Finland/Northwest Russia, <1% Scandinavia (North Connacht, Galway)
Paternal aunt: 99% Ireland, <1% Great Britain (Galway, North Connacht, Mayo & Galway)
Mum: 98% Ireland, 1% Finland/Northwest Russia, <1% Scandinavia (North Connacht, Galway)

Dewsloth
05-14-2018, 06:24 PM
It’s a bit disconcerting that people are still getting new results in the old format. That tells me that it’s definitely still in the Beta phase and who knows when if ever they will decide to do an update for everyone.

Yeah, I've been on Ancestry for a while and my results are also still in the old format. So if they are updating people, it's certainly not all at once.

Latest update as of May 2018
Your ethnicity estimate is based on the data we have and the methods we use to compare your results to that data. When AncestryDNA launched in 2012, we compared your DNA against 22 possible regions. Since then, additional data and advances in science have enabled AncestryDNA to identify dozens of new regions and improved our ability to determine how likely it is a region is part of your past. DNA research is a fast paced, rapidly expanding field, and you can expect to see additional updates as DNA science evolves.

Total Regions 166
Reference Samples 2,995

I just realized there is a "COMPARE" feature when browsing Ancestry on my iPhone that isn't available through Chrome. How long has this been in existence?

Ais
05-14-2018, 09:13 PM
I just realized there is a "COMPARE" feature when browsing Ancestry on my iPhone that isn't available through Chrome. How long has this been in existence?

I had that feature for a little while, but it went back to the regular format quite quickly. I remember when I looked at one of the comparisons it said something like 'This person's results have recently been updated.' I thought since I had the new Compare option that my results would be updated soon, but unfortunately not!

digital_noise
05-14-2018, 10:31 PM
So at this point, we have 19 pages of emotional roller coaster, anxiety and impatience.

timberwolf
05-15-2018, 01:05 AM
So at this point, we have 19 pages of emotional roller coaster, anxiety and impatience.

And it is even worse over on 23andme.

euromutt
05-15-2018, 12:36 PM
And it is even worse over on 23andme.

On which thread?

RobinBMc
05-15-2018, 02:14 PM
What do people suspect the Europe West will change to?

We know what the categories will change to, if that's what you mean. Europe West will be split up into Germanic Europe and France. Or did you mean what we think our personal results will change to?

Nqp15hhu
05-15-2018, 09:56 PM
We know what the categories will change to, if that's what you mean. Europe West will be split up into Germanic Europe and France. Or did you mean what we think our personal results will change to?

Our Personal result.

timberwolf
05-16-2018, 01:08 AM
On which thread?

It is titled Ancestry DNA update.

euromutt
05-16-2018, 01:31 AM
It is titled Ancestry DNA update.

I think I’m losing it because I can’t find that thread... you mean on the 23andme sub forum ? can you link it?

cvolt
05-16-2018, 01:33 AM
Just dropping by with some macarons to cheer you guys up in the meantime.

timberwolf
05-16-2018, 01:48 AM
I think I’m losing it because I can’t find that thread... you mean on the 23andme sub forum ? can you link it?

It is on the front page of the forums, last I looked about an hour ago.

Ais
05-16-2018, 03:21 AM
My dad's paternal aunt's (my grandaunt) DNA came in yesterday. Her results are in the old format unfortunately. Ancestry do a lot of things in Beta testing that never get released to everyone so I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't either. These were my grandaunt's results anyway:

Ireland/Scotland/Wales 95%
Europe South 2%
Great Britain 1%
Europe West <1%
European Jewish <1%

It's the first time that any of my family (the 4 that had tested before this) have gotten Europe South, Europe West and European Jewish so that's interesting to me anyway.
Her genetic community is Connacht, Ireland with the places in this region being North Connacht and Galway.

My results: 96% Ireland, 2% Great Britain, 1% Finland/Northwest Russia, <1% Scandinavia (North Connacht, Galway)
Paternal aunt: 99% Ireland, <1% Great Britain (Galway, North Connacht, Mayo & Galway)
Mum: 98% Ireland, 1% Finland/Northwest Russia, <1% Scandinavia (North Connacht, Galway)

I read somewhere that Ancestry stopped showing <1%, have they started again?

jshook
05-16-2018, 03:37 AM
I read somewhere that Ancestry stopped showing <1%, have they started again?

My results still show <1% Asia Central and my husband gets <1% for Europe South, Europe East, Africa Southeastern Bantu and Caucasus. If you click on the range estimate though, they all show a range from 0%-3%. I think if the possible range shows anything over 1%, they show it.

Ais
05-16-2018, 11:54 AM
My results still show <1% Asia Central and my husband gets <1% for Europe South, Europe East, Africa Southeastern Bantu and Caucasus. If you click on the range estimate though, they all show a range from 0%-3%. I think if the possible range shows anything over 1%, they show it.

That's interesting, they might have kept the results of people who had already tested, but they stopped giving <1% results to new testers. I remember being quite annoyed about it, because I have minority ancestry around/just under 1% that wasn't reported, and instead they gave me 2% Europe South, 2% Central Asia, 1% Iberian, and 1% Finland/Northwest Russia in my Low Confidence Regions. The range on all of them was 0-2% and 0-4%, and none of them are accurate as far as I'm aware.

FionnSneachta
05-16-2018, 12:46 PM
That's interesting, they might have kept the results of people who had already tested, but they stopped giving <1% results to new testers. I remember being quite annoyed about it, because I have minority ancestry around/just under 1% that wasn't reported, and instead they gave me 2% Europe South, 2% Central Asia, 1% Iberian, and 1% Finland/Northwest Russia in my Low Confidence Regions. The range on all of them was 0-2% and 0-4%, and none of them are accurate as far as I'm aware.

They're still giving <1% to new testers since it came up in my grandaunt's results that were just released. I know that before when you clicked view all regions, percentages below 1% used to be seen that weren't reported in the ethnicity estimate. I remember my aunt getting a percentage below 1% for Native American when I did this but it doesn't come up anymore when you do it as far as I know.

Ais
05-16-2018, 01:19 PM
They're still giving <1% to new testers since it came up in my grandaunt's results that were just released. I know that before when you clicked view all regions, percentages below 1% used to be seen that weren't reported in the ethnicity estimate. I remember my aunt getting a percentage below 1% for Native American when I did this but it doesn't come up anymore when you do it as far as I know.

I thought that was part of the new update, giving <1% results again. It's very strange, because I was surprised when nothing under 1% showed on my results, and when I looked into it I saw that they didn't show that anymore. I just checked 'all regions' and they haven't given anything there either. Seems like they messed up my small percentages a bit, giving me weird results from all over Europe but missing the actual minority admixture that's picked up in other tests. I would have thought it would be easier to pick out as well, since none of my minority admixture is European. I hope that when the update comes, my results will be revised for the better!

FionnSneachta
05-16-2018, 04:56 PM
I thought that was part of the new update, giving <1% results again. It's very strange, because I was surprised when nothing under 1% showed on my results, and when I looked into it I saw that they didn't show that anymore. I just checked 'all regions' and they haven't given anything there either. Seems like they messed up my small percentages a bit, giving me weird results from all over Europe but missing the actual minority admixture that's picked up in other tests. I would have thought it would be easier to pick out as well, since none of my minority admixture is European. I hope that when the update comes, my results will be revised for the better!

I don't think that <1% ever went away. I got <1% Scandinavia and my results were released on 9 December 2016. My aunt got <1% Great Britain and her results were released on 2 July 2017. My mum got <1% Scandinavia and her results were released on 29 December 2017. Now these most recent results came in on 14 May 2018 and she got <1% Europe West and European Jewish. If they ever stopped giving <1%, it must have been very briefly.

Could you clarify what you meant by this?

I have minority ancestry around/just under 1% that wasn't reported, and instead they gave me 2% Europe South, 2% Central Asia, 1% Iberian, and 1% Finland/Northwest Russia in my Low Confidence Regions.

How do you know that Ancestry picked up DNA for an area but didn't report it because it was under 1%?

Ais
05-16-2018, 05:07 PM
I don't think that <1% ever went away. I got <1% Scandinavia and my results were released on 9 December 2016. My aunt got <1% Great Britain and her results were released on 2 July 2017. My mum got <1% Scandinavia and her results were released on 29 December 2017. Now these most recent results came in on 14 May 2018 and she got <1% Europe West and European Jewish. If they ever stopped giving <1%, it must have been very briefly.

Could you clarify what you meant by this?

How do you know that Ancestry picked up DNA for an area but didn't report it because it was under 1%?

I'm saying I have minority admixture at around those percentages, but they weren't picked up by Ancestry. I assumed that they were under 1%, and weren't reported for that reason. If Ancestry never stopped providing <1% results, and what I read was wrong (I can't remember the source, but it does seem like it was wrong), then they've missed some of my admixture. My minority percentages are usually picked up on other testing sites.

Instead of detecting the small percentages that are actually there, they reported me as having Iberian, Europe South, and Finland/Northwest Russia - none of which is accurate.

FionnSneachta
05-16-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm saying I have minority admixture at around those percentages, but they weren't picked up by Ancestry. I assumed that they were under 1%, and weren't reported for that reason. If Ancestry never stopped providing <1% results, and what I read was wrong (I can't remember the source, but it does seem like it was wrong), then they've missed some of my admixture. My minority percentages are usually picked up on other testing sites.

Instead of detecting the small percentages that are actually there, they reported me as having Iberian, Europe South, and Finland/Northwest Russia - none of which is accurate.

It can't really be expected that an autosomal test would be able to pick up such small percentages in a person's ancestry though. Especially when a lot of people consider percentages that small to be noise and meaningless anyway. It's great and exciting when the DNA seems like it confirms the paper records but sometimes expectations with this kind of thing has to be managed since it's not an exact science and is based on the reference population used. None of the trace regions that are picked up in my family members are accurate since I don't have any ancestry connected to these places but at the same time who knows. Maybe my grandaunt does have a European Jewish ancestor going back that I don't know about. Either way though, I'm not going to get bogged down on my 4% that seems to be incorrectly assigned. I'm happy enough when the majority is correct and I can get a laugh out of the strange trace regions that come up. The ethnicity estimates are a bit of fun in the end.

Ais
05-16-2018, 06:15 PM
It can't really be expected that an autosomal test would be able to pick up such small percentages in a person's ancestry though. Especially when a lot of people consider percentages that small to be noise and meaningless anyway. It's great and exciting when the DNA seems like it confirms the paper records but sometimes expectations with this kind of thing has to be managed since it's not an exact science and is based on the reference population used. None of the trace regions that are picked up in my family members are accurate since I don't have any ancestry connected to these places but at the same time who knows. Maybe my grandaunt does have a European Jewish ancestor going back that I don't know about. Either way though, I'm not going to get bogged down on my 4% that seems to be incorrectly assigned. I'm happy enough when the majority is correct and I can get a laugh out of the strange trace regions that come up. The ethnicity estimates are a bit of fun in the end.

Yes, but I'm saying that other testing companies have picked my trace regions up. Ancestry is the pretty much only one that throws random European results at me. It would be different if my minority admixture was German, or even Lithuanian, as European DNA is so difficult to distinguish, but companies usually find it easier to differentiate on a continental level, even in smaller percentages, which is why my admixture shows up consistently elsewhere. Anyway, all I'm saying is that I'm looking forward to the update, because it might improve my results. I'm pretty sure a lot people are looking forward to it for the same reason.

euromutt
05-16-2018, 06:33 PM

May I ask what ancestry and percentages you were expecting for under 1%?
I'm curious how they compare to the low confidence you did receive. Maybe the update will better capture them now that it's drilled down more.

Ais
05-16-2018, 06:55 PM
May I ask what ancestry and percentages you were expecting for under 1%?
I'm curious how they compare to the low confidence you did receive. Maybe the update will better capture them now that it's drilled down more.

I wasn't really expecting it, but was curious to see if it would show up. It's only since then that I'm surprised, since it's reported elsewhere, and I don't show any particular percentages of Southern Europe, Finland, or Iberian on any other test. My known ancestry is largely British, with some South Asian (Indian) on my paternal line. My maternal grandmother also took an Ancestry DNA test and got 4% Native American, my aunt got around 2%, and I show around 1% on most other tests. I don't know what is giving us that result, although it's very consistent.

laulei
05-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Could the source you looked at be referring to the "Other Regions Tested" section? If so, then that doesn't exist anymore. "Other Regions Tested" wouldn't show percentages but if something small was there below 0.5% it would only show in the range.

Ais
05-16-2018, 07:20 PM
Could the source you looked at be referring to the "Other Regions Tested" section? If so, then that doesn't exist anymore. "Other Regions Tested" wouldn't show percentages but if something small was there below 0.5% it would only show in the range.

That must have been it, although I had been so sure it was about low percentages. I wonder why they removed that feature, it looks quite interesting.

Vestri
05-16-2018, 07:26 PM
That must have been it, although I had been so sure it was about low percentages. I wonder why they removed that feature, it looks quite interesting.

Perhaps you mean this, Ais.

I recieve >1% South Asian on my AncestryDNA result. Low Confidence Regions / Trace Regions?

I'm still awaiting the update myself.

Ais
05-16-2018, 07:38 PM
Perhaps you mean this, Ais.

I recieve >1% South Asian on my AncestryDNA result. Low Confidence Regions / Trace Regions?

I'm still awaiting the update myself.

Yeah that's it, it's funny that you get trace South Asian! I'm surprised none of my random 1% regions came out at <1%.

AbdoNumen
05-20-2018, 04:50 PM
And the last one (I couldn't only do 5 images at a time)

For what it's worth, I got my results today and it's still in the old format: just "Caucasus" and "Middle East", no Persia, Turkey/Caucasus and Middle East as separate categories. Says "latest update as of May 2018".

Still no official word from the company?

euromutt
05-20-2018, 05:48 PM
My sister’s results came back yesterday and are in the old format. My parents results should be in later this week, I’m curious to see if either of there’s are in the new one.

Ais, my sister came back with <1% on Great Britain and Middle East so it looks like they are still releasing them with less than 1% results.

daragon39
05-21-2018, 03:12 PM
For what it's worth, I got my results today and it's still in the old format: just "Caucasus" and "Middle East", no Persia, Turkey/Caucasus and Middle East as separate categories. Says "latest update as of May 2018".

Still no official word from the company?

Still no word as of yet. I am starting to wonder if maybe they are waiting for MyHeritage to update their ethnicity results which also should be soon.

Ais
05-21-2018, 05:08 PM
My sister’s results came back yesterday and are in the old format. My parents results should be in later this week, I’m curious to see if either of there’s are in the new one.

Ais, my sister came back with <1% on Great Britain and Middle East so it looks like they are still releasing them with less than 1% results.

Yeah, I just got my mum's results a couple of days ago and she got some <1% regions as well.

euromutt
05-23-2018, 04:54 PM
I did notice a small update today, now instead of reading "150+ Regions" the Ethnicity Estimate states "350+ Regions". It looks like they're lumping in the migrations as well now into their total.
This wasn't there when I screen shot my sister's results on 5/19 but are today when I checked my parents. (5/23)

timberwolf
05-24-2018, 01:23 AM
Just reading the 23andme forum.

A member there posted this in regards a Facebook response

We are still using the beta version of this update, and will share this new experience once feedback has been collected and the newest version is ready for the general public. We don't have a specific date as to when all members will receive this newest version of the results, but we hope to be ready to update all of our members DNA pages soon. Please let us know if you have any other questions for us!”

Tz85
05-24-2018, 01:33 AM

We are still using the beta version of this update, and will share this new experience once feedback has been collected and the newest version is ready for the general public. We don't have a specific date as to when all members will receive this newest version of the results, but we hope to be ready to update all of our members DNA pages soon. Please let us know if you have any other questions for us!”

Good. People need to stop getting their hopes up. Their is no update, any time soon.

timberwolf
05-24-2018, 02:05 AM
Good. People need to stop getting their hopes up. Their is no update, any time soon.

Not quite how I read it.

More an indication that an update is planned, but it will be awhile.

Tz85
05-24-2018, 02:20 AM
Not quite how I read it.

More an indication that an update is planned, but it will be awhile.

When genetic companies use lingo such as, "beta" or "no specific date", it means don't expect anything soon.

timberwolf
05-24-2018, 02:27 AM
When genetic companies use lingo such as, "beta" or "no specific date", it means don't expect anything soon.

Correct. However they have acknowledged an update is planned, which is the most important feature of the response. Just don't expect any update soon. It could still be weeks if not months.

ianz91
05-24-2018, 08:30 AM

Since you posted this, I've been reading more about AncestryDNA vs 23andme comparisons. The reference populations you mention is really interesting, why does Ancestry have such low numbers? You'd think with the size of their database they'd have more than 23andme. I've also read reviews from people with their paper trails, and how AncestryDNA was really off with their ethnicity estimates. There's also those who are British but get very low amounts of Great Britain. It seems I may have this all wrong, and need to research more before praising AncestryDNA so much.

kujira692
05-24-2018, 12:31 PM
(Edited for added photos)

Just an observation for two out of my four kits:

Myself and my mother's kits now no longer have a "+ Low Confidence Regions" tab to click on and reveal the Low Confidence Regions; they're just part of one big list now, which I think is the format that the new Update is taking. My sister's and father's kits though are still with the clickable "+ Low Confidence Regions" list.

My father's with the "+ Low Confidence Regions" tab still in place:

Mine no longer having the "+ Low Confidence Regions" tab:

mwauthy
05-24-2018, 01:00 PM

What I find a bit troubling is the lack of uniformity amongst the various customer service representatives responses. You would think that they would all be privy to the same information from their superiors and that they would all have a similar scripted response.

One representative says everyone will be updated in 2-4 weeks. Another representative says they’ve never heard of this update. Another representative says the update is in beta with no planned release date.

digital_noise
05-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Im not surprised. They are probably scattered all over the world, some working in an office, some in sweatpants on their bed still.

also, sometimes when I log into Ancestry, it has to "reload" my results. I always thing now is the time the update hits but it always is the same.

timberwolf
05-24-2018, 06:43 PM
What I find a bit troubling is the lack of uniformity amongst the various customer service representatives responses. You would think that they would all be privy to the same information from their superiors and that they would all have a similar scripted response.

One representative says everyone will be updated in 2-4 weeks. Another representative says they’ve never heard of this update. Another representative says the update is in beta with no planned release date.

Totally agree with you.

Again from the 23andme forum

Someone on a FB group said they called Ancestry and they said the update/transition is happening now and they are updating it by oldest customers first and also by region the tests were purchased. And that they hope to have it go live by the end of the month.

It is the inconsistent nature of the information, being relayed, that I find the most frustrating aspect of this. So what is actually happening, is anyone's guess.

FionnSneachta
05-24-2018, 06:48 PM
(Edited for added photos)

Just an observation for two out of my four kits:

Myself and my mother's kits now no longer have a "+ Low Confidence Regions" tab to click on and reveal the Low Confidence Regions; they're just part of one big list now, which I think is the format that the new Update is taking. My sister's and father's kits though are still with the clickable "+ Low Confidence Regions" list.

My father's with the "+ Low Confidence Regions" tab still in place:

Mine no longer having the "+ Low Confidence Regions" tab:

That's happened with my aunt's results too. They've changed so that the low confidence regions are listed with the other regions. My mum's, grandaunt's and my own kit remain unchanged though.

Sizzles
05-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Nothing has changed for me. Same results

kujira692
05-25-2018, 01:39 AM
Well my mother's has just been uodated to the new format (!!!!). I haven't looked at any others yet, but it's happening! 😄

I knew somthing was up when the pie chart looked different, (she used to have a clean 50% Great Britain so it was pretty distinct)

Sorry i keep editing this to add on, but she is now just 71% England and Wales, and 29% Ireland and Scotland which is a LOT more accurate than her prior assignments.

hdurmic
05-25-2018, 01:42 AM
Can you share her new results? Thank you.

kujira692
05-25-2018, 01:47 AM
So actually ALL 4 of my kits have been updated, and ine concern I had seems to be warranted though: none of us, absolutely none, have received Germanic Europe (which for my father about half his ancestry is from Southwest Germany), instead we all have really high England and Wales. Now while that DOES encompass areas like Heidelberg, Mannheim and Montbeliard, the title England and Wales is pretty misleading.

(also: none of the Genetic Communities seem to be affected, they are all the original ones)

hdurmic
05-25-2018, 01:50 AM
Can you share the before and after for your results?

Idwaajeden
05-25-2018, 01:51 AM

hdurmic
05-25-2018, 01:52 AM
did you get it also? Send before and after results

euromutt
05-25-2018, 01:52 AM
Well my mother's has just been uodated to the new format (!!!!). I haven't looked at any others yet, but it's happening! 😄

I knew somthing was up when the pie chart looked different, (she used to have a clean 50% Great Britain so it was pretty distinct)

Sorry i keep editing this to add on, but she is now just 71% England and Wales, and 29% Ireland and Scotland which is a LOT more accurate than her prior assignments.

Do you remember approx. when she tested? If they are doing it in order of oldest kits first I’m curious where they’re at in their database with the update.

hdurmic
05-25-2018, 01:54 AM
Looks like if they did the little update removing the “Low Confidence Regions” labeling and the update to the pie chart is a early indication

kujira692
05-25-2018, 01:55 AM
I'm on a tablet right now and don't think i can screencap, but i had posted a picture my father's results and mine a page back or so, and they are now for him:

46% Ireland and Scotland
46% England and Wales
3% Sweden
3% France
2% Norway

And mine:
70% England and Wales
30% Ireland and Scotland

Edit also: one REALLY good point is my new results and my sisters new results are QUITE close now, before they were both hugely different. Hers are England and Wales 65%, Ireland and Scotland 35%.

kujira692
05-25-2018, 01:57 AM
The earliest kit i had done was my father's and that might have been 4/5 years back now.

timberwolf
05-25-2018, 01:59 AM
I'm on a tablet right now and don't think i can screencap, but i had posted a picture my father's results and mine a page back or so, and they are now for him:

46% Ireland and Scotland
46% England and Wales
3% Sweden
3% France
2% Norway

And mine:
70% England and Wales
30% Ireland and Scotland

Edit also: one REALLY good point is my new results and my sisters new results are QUITE close now, before they were both hugely different. Hers are England and Wales 65%, Ireland and Scotland 35%.

Quick question mate, Have you just recently tested at Ancestry, or are these older kits?

hdurmic
05-25-2018, 01:59 AM
They need to rename England and Wales to Great Britain and Northwestern Europe or Great Britain and Western Europe.

Idwaajeden
05-25-2018, 02:01 AM
Can you share the before and after for your results?

Before

99% Europe East
0% Finland/Northwest Russia
0-1% Middle East
0-1% Caucasus
0-1% Iberian Peninsula
0-1% Asia Central

After

71% Eastern Europe and Russia
29% Baltic States

kujira692
05-25-2018, 02:02 AM
They're fairly old, the earliest being my fathers which is around 4/5 years back. My sisters though is maybe a year old.

hdurmic
05-25-2018, 02:05 AM
What’s your known Ancestry?

euromutt
05-25-2018, 02:07 AM
So then we have 2 forum members and a total of 5 kits we know of being updated. I’d say this is a good sign.

Idwaajeden
05-25-2018, 02:15 AM
My kit is early 2016 AncestryDNA

hdurmic
05-25-2018, 02:23 AM
Can you check and see how many people are in the reference populations by clicking on the “Up to date” button

kujira692
05-25-2018, 02:27 AM
It has Total Regions 166, and Reference Samples 2995

Idwaajeden
05-25-2018, 02:30 AM
For compare here is detailed results that is aligned with my paper trail:

68.4% Baltic
12.7% Sicilian
12.2% Southern Slavic
4.5% Tatar
2.2% Southwest Europe

Eurogenes K13

1 81.4% Belorussian + 18.6% Algerian Jewish

MDLP World

1 54.9% Latvian (derived) + 45.1% Romania (derived)

hdurmic
05-25-2018, 02:32 AM
Seems like it still needs some work. Would think you would pick up some “Italy” and that your Eastern Europe and Baltic states would be reversed

Idwaajeden
05-25-2018, 02:45 AM
Seems like it still needs some work. Would think you would pick up some “Italy” and that your Eastern Europe and Baltic states would be reversed

I usually get Spain here I get Sicilian, is proxy for my Sephardic, Ashkenazi mix

I usually get South Slavic also from my direct paternal line

Here they include on AncestryDNA Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia, Moldova, Croatia etc as "Eastern Europe and Russia" so that component will eat up my MENA/Mediterranean, Paleo-Balkan influences as well as my Asiatic