PDA

View Full Version : Which Y DNA test should I go for?

nuplix
04-20-2018, 11:11 PM
Hey guys,

I am thinking of to do Y DNA test. My Y DNA is R2a. Which Y DNA test should I go for?

Thank you!

GoldenHind
04-21-2018, 05:27 PM
Presumably you have already done a DNA test of some kind to learn you are R2a. Which company did you test with and what test did you tale?

rms2
04-21-2018, 06:01 PM
If you can afford it, I recommend Family Tree DNA's Big Y, but you would need a Family Tree DNA STR (Short Tandem Repeat) test first. That is good, too, because FTDNA's STR tests hook you up with STR matches. I am so glad I went with FTDNA back in 2006 when I first tested. I don't regret a single dime I have spent with them.

ajc347
04-21-2018, 07:40 PM
I guess it all comes down to your budget @noman. I would suggest either FTDNA Big Y500 or Full Genomes Corporation's Elite 2.1 if your pockets are deep enough.

They both currently cost the same amount of $645 (FTDNA have increased the price of their product to $799 but have it in their DNA Day sale for $645). It would cost an extra $49 to submit the raw data files to YFull for inclusion in their tree if you wanted to go down that route as well.

A significantly cheaper alternative would be to use a company such as 23andMe or Living DNA. These tests will give you a basic Y-DNA Haplogroup as well as autosomal and maternal DNA results as well, but do not offer testing to the level of Big Y500 or Elite 2.1.

EDIT: I've just seen that you are already have results for a Y-DNA Haplogroup and mtDNA. Please, therefore, ignore my last suggestion. :)

nuplix
04-22-2018, 06:58 AM
Presumably you have already done a DNA test of some kind to learn you are R2a. Which company did you test with and what test did you tale?

I did my testing with 23andme.

If you can afford it, I recommend Family Tree DNA's Big Y, but you would need a Family Tree DNA STR (Short Tandem Repeat) test first. That is good, too, because FTDNA's STR tests hook you up with STR matches. I am so glad I went with FTDNA back in 2006 when I first tested. I don't regret a single dime I have spent with them.

FTDNA is really good, but I can't afford it right now. Is YSEQ a good option?

I guess it all comes down to your budget @noman. I would suggest either FTDNA Big Y500 or Full Genomes Corporation's Elite 2.1 if your pockets are deep enough.

They both currently cost the same amount of $645 (FTDNA have increased the price of their product to $799 but have it in their DNA Day sale for $645). It would cost an extra $49 to submit the raw data files to YFull for inclusion in their tree if you wanted to go down that route as well.

A significantly cheaper alternative would be to use a company such as 23andMe or Living DNA. These tests will give you a basic Y-DNA Haplogroup as well as autosomal and maternal DNA results as well, but do not offer testing to the level of Big Y500 or Elite 2.1.

EDIT: I've just seen that you are already have results for a Y-DNA Haplogroup and mtDNA. Please, therefore, ignore my last suggestion. :)

Thank you! My Living DNA results are already due. Since I don't have a lot of money for FTDNA, I can either go for YFULL or YSEQ.

ajc347
04-22-2018, 10:17 AM
As L266 appears to be equivalent to M479/PF6107, you might want to consider the R2-M479 Haplogroup panel at YSEQ. At $88 it should help place you further down the tree pretty cheaply.

YFull only accepts data from NGS tests so you wouldn't be able to upload the Haplogroup panel results there I'm afraid.

Alternatively, it might be worth waiting to see what result Living DNA gives you first. :)

Bobby Martnen
04-30-2018, 06:31 AM
Where does R2a come from?

I've never heard of R2 before, only ever R1...

Dibran
05-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Where does R2a come from?

I've never heard of R2 before, only ever R1...

Hows you get here from the assricity. lol.

R2 is predominantly found in South-Asia. Its the Brother of R1.