PDA

View Full Version : Best test for J subclades?

Ust-Ishim
04-28-2018, 07:31 AM
I did a myHeritage test which has some limited testing of Y SNPs. I've got M172 and some upstream SNPs as well, but that's as much as I could extract from the raw data. Now I'm wondering what would be the best place to go to from here:
1. Obviously Full Genomes Corp and FTDNA offer the best resolution, however I'm cognisant of the fact that genetic testing is a highly deflationary industry. I'll get much more for much less money if I just wait 10 years. So although I could buy one of these, I'm not sure if they're value for money over the long term;
2. FTDNA has the advantage of a big community. Also I understand that you get your sample done and then request more tests without requiring new samples. How deep does their 37 STR go for J2?
3. YSEQ seems a good, cost-effective option if all I want is to determine if I'm J2a vs J2b.
At the moment I'm leaning towards the cheapest FTDNA and then upgrading as the costs come down and the tree improves.

Moe12
09-16-2018, 06:03 PM
I did a myHeritage test which has some limited testing of Y SNPs. I've got M172 and some upstream SNPs as well, but that's as much as I could extract from the raw data. Now I'm wondering what would be the best place to go to from here:
1. Obviously Full Genomes Corp and FTDNA offer the best resolution, however I'm cognisant of the fact that genetic testing is a highly deflationary industry. I'll get much more for much less money if I just wait 10 years. So although I could buy one of these, I'm not sure if they're value for money over the long term;
2. FTDNA has the advantage of a big community. Also I understand that you get your sample done and then request more tests without requiring new samples. How deep does their 37 STR go for J2?
3. YSEQ seems a good, cost-effective option if all I want is to determine if I'm J2a vs J2b.
At the moment I'm leaning towards the cheapest FTDNA and then upgrading as the costs come down and the tree improves.

Since you already have been predicted as J-M172/Known popularly as "J2", then Yseq is better for you to get more information about your subclade,

good luck!

Globalman
02-09-2019, 08:25 AM
I didn't want to open an other thread, because op and me in the same boat.I had test with geno 1.0(the previous version of geno 2.0) 10 years a go and I only got J2 m172 so I know I'm m172 so what my next step should be?Should I take the same step/tests with the op?

Regards

Jatt1
02-09-2019, 07:56 PM
I didn't want to open an other thread, because op and me in the same boat.I had test with geno 1.0(the previous version of geno 2.0) 10 years a go and I only got J2 m172 so I know I'm m172 so what my next step should be?Should I take the same step/tests with the op?

Regards

The cheapest test which will give you lots more information be the https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=11093.

aaronbee2010
02-09-2019, 08:59 PM

Since you already have been predicted as J-M172/Known popularly as "J2", then Yseq is better for you to get more information about your subclade,

good luck!

Regards

The cheapest test which will give you lots more information be the https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=11093.

For Ust-Ishim and Globalman, I would recommend the YSEQ J2-M172 panel test that Moe12 and Jatt1 have recommended as well.