PDA

View Full Version : Match Strength - 23 and me Ancestry composition

Saad2016
04-29-2018, 04:16 PM
Hi forum members,

Sharing my match strength :

https://i.gyazo.com/3c9fe115f437a106012be5226ebfaf81.png

My question :

23andme defines match strength as the number of filled-in 'dots' next to a recent ancestor location — reflects the amount of DNA you share with people from that location.

Is this match strength based on what 23andme have collected as samples or based on some other wider study samples. Caz if 23andme is comparing my DNA to the samples they have ( people who identify themselves as Pakistani and Indians), then that might be a very small sample. Lets say that 50 pakistanies tested with them and 50 Indians. Is this the reason that my match strength comes to be very low. Just one dot?

What do u guys think?

MonkeyDLuffy
04-29-2018, 04:26 PM
Hi forum members,

Sharing my match strength :

https://i.gyazo.com/3c9fe115f437a106012be5226ebfaf81.png

My question :

23andme defines match strength as the number of filled-in 'dots' next to a recent ancestor location — reflects the amount of DNA you share with people from that location.

Is this match strength based on what 23andme have collected as samples or based on some other wider study samples. Caz if 23andme is comparing my DNA to the samples they have ( people who identify themselves as Pakistani and Indians), then that might be a very small sample. Lets say that 50 pakistanies tested with them and 50 Indians. Is this the reason that my match strength comes to be very low. Just one dot?

What do u guys think?

Match strength is useless, they basically look at the countries selected for grandparents and then assign it to you.

Saad2016
04-29-2018, 04:33 PM
Match strength is useless, they basically look at the countries selected for grandparents and then assign it to you.

No, if that were the case then I would have got all 5 dots for Pakistan. I did identify all my grandparents as being from Pakistan both from Maternal and Paternal side. So your logic does not hold true for my case. but thanks for your input.

MonkeyDLuffy
04-29-2018, 07:44 PM
No, if that were the case then I would have got all 5 dots for Pakistan. I did identify all my grandparents as being from Pakistan both from Maternal and Paternal side. So your logic does not hold true for my case. but thanks for your input.

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13601-Please-post-your-23andme-ancestry-composition/page15

Read this, Nepali users who listed all grandparents as Nepali had all dots Nepali. A Sikh jatt user who listed all his grandparents as Indian, got all dots Indian, even though he is more West Asian shifted than good chunk of Pakistanis. The reason why you've one dot as India is because you might be a little AASI shifted than their NW South Asian samples, or share more alleles with Indian groups.

IMO they use combination of the countries of grandparents and samples they used. Have you posted your results for any gedmatch calc before? That might answer why you're getting India.

RobinBMc
04-29-2018, 11:52 PM
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13601-Please-post-your-23andme-ancestry-composition/page15

Read this, Nepali users who listed all grandparents as Nepali had all dots Nepali. A Sikh jatt user who listed all his grandparents as Indian, got all dots Indian, even though he is more West Asian shifted than good chunk of Pakistanis. The reason why you've one dot as India is because you might be a little AASI shifted than their NW South Asian samples, or share more alleles with Indian groups.

IMO they use combination of the countries of grandparents and samples they used. Have you posted your results for any gedmatch calc before? That might answer why you're getting India.

Have you ever considered they got 5 dots in Nepali because their DNA IS from Nepali?

I did not fill out the data for grandparents for my dad's test yet he gets 5 dots for Italy. (I realize this is in the Asian section but it's still relevant).