PDA

View Full Version : Flemings in Cumberland

castle3
10-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm awaiting my Chromo 2 test results (via Prof Jim W) with great anticipation. All the familes my surname lived closest to, & inherited land from, in the 13th C were ultimately of Flemish stock. Charters I've studied from the 12th & 13th Cs show many of the above moved across from Northumberland & Yorkshire to claim land in Cumberland. I've also traced several of those surnames as they settled in Scotland.
I read that many of the Flemish masons & soldiers were involved in building defences in Northumberland. Many of those were later sent to Pembrokeshire (from memory!).
I also found that some Carlisle-based Flemings worked in Anglesey following their fortification of the Cumbrian town. It's possible that some of the Welsh names came via those Flemings, although I'd guess most Welsh surnames were via Brythonic stock. I wonder if the Bala R-P312** testee might be from the Anglesey Flemings? A long shot, but worth considering.
Cheers,
Bob

castle3
11-21-2013, 02:23 PM
My L624 test result is positive. My Chromo 2 results will be in by the 29th of this month.
Cheers,
Bob