PDA

View Full Version : Best DNA company for full Y, and MTDNA information.

Paul333
05-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Having tested with Living DNA, and results given regarding my Y H2, and MTDNA H1c3. I would like to know which is the most informative testing company for the UK, other than Living DNA regarding further testing further subclades of information. I think the results came as a by product of Autosomal testing, by Living Dna, and I do not feel good about sending/uploading my more detailed 'Y' related positive snps etc to Gedmatch or other, at the moment,but would rather gain a second Y & MTDNA which would test deeper or further. Any opinions/views would be gratefull.

fostert
05-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Having tested with Living DNA, and results given regarding my Y H2, and MTDNA H1c3. I would like to know which is the most informative testing company for the UK, other than Living DNA regarding further testing further subclades of information. I think the results came as a by product of Autosomal testing, by Living Dna, and I do not feel good about sending/uploading my more detailed 'Y' related positive snps etc to Gedmatch or other, at the moment,but would rather gain a second Y & MTDNA which would test deeper or further. Any opinions/views would be gratefull.

I have always had the most success with FamilyTreeDNA. When you test with them, you are not only buying the test, but I always say you're also buying their incredible database of Y and mtDNA testers. The ability to match people there is invaluable. I have had my mtDNA fully sequenced there (J1c2e), and have 16 close matches, many of which have shown their countries of origin for their most distant maternal ancestor. This has finally allowed me to find out where my small bit of Romanian ancestry was from (which always showed up in ethnicity estimates). And their YDNA database allowed me to discover my father's surname at birth (he was adopted) - thanks to that I have now built out my father's entire paternal tree.

I just bought BigY/Y500 test with them last week during the sale. I anticipate it will give me a much deeper look at my Y haplogroup than LivingDNA does (R-CTS4065), and I'm looking forward to seeing some BigY matches on there too. My two strongest Ystr matches at FTDNA both have taken the BigY and their haplogroup is R-FGC-34856) - I anticipate this will be my branch too.

If you're going to test your mtDNA with them, do it soon because their MOther's Day Sale offers a very good price.

MacUalraig
05-05-2018, 06:45 PM

The Full Genomes Inc. 'Y Elite' test is the best Y test on the market and bundles in a full mtDNA sequencing in the results. Upload the Y to YFull for matching and contact purposes.

Paul333
06-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I Have chosen another test, and went with 23&me, as they test both the Y & Mt DNA, and I will see if they offer more information, it will be a while as Ive only just sent the test back and registered with them on Monday. I'll see what information they supply and then possibly think about the tests mentioned.

rms2
06-16-2018, 04:43 PM
The Full Genomes Inc. 'Y Elite' test is the best Y test on the market and bundles in a full mtDNA sequencing in the results. Upload the Y to YFull for matching and contact purposes.

How much is that going for now?

Saetro
06-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. I Have chosen another test, and went with 23&me, as they test both the Y & Mt DNA, and I will see if they offer more information, it will be a while as Ive only just sent the test back and registered with them on Monday. I'll see what information they supply and then possibly think about the tests mentioned.

They provide stub results for Y and mtDNA haplogroups.
There used to be some real bargains with depth of information on some, and others with very little at all.
Most reports on the current chip seem to show some sort of evening up.
It's not a lot of information.
But it could be exactly what you are after.
There are always other possibilities later.
Good luck.

JerryS.
06-16-2018, 08:06 PM
excuse the layman question here, but the mtDNA will show both sides of your mother's family because she got an X from her dad and an X from her mom, but the Y-DNA will only show the father's father's side and nothing from the father's mother's side, correct?

fostert
06-16-2018, 08:45 PM
excuse the layman question here, but the mtDNA will show both sides of your mother's family because she got an X from her dad and an X from her mom, but the Y-DNA will only show the father's father's side and nothing from the father's mother's side, correct?

No, mitochondrial DNA is not part of one's 23 pairs of nucleic DNA chromosomes; it is extra DNA (separate from X,Y and the 22 autosomal chromosome pairs) inside only the mitochondrian which are inside each cell in your body, but separate from the nucleus. Only your mom can pass on mtDNA, because it is part of her egg. Once the male's sperm penetrates an egg, the sperm jettisons its mitochondria (contained at the base of its tail), so you can't ever get it from your father. mtDNA is actually a small remnant of an ancient single-celled bacterium that symbiotically joined with animal cells billions of years ago because of mutual benefit (the animal cell gains an energy-making factory, and the bacterium gained a home).

JerryS.
06-16-2018, 09:40 PM
No, mitochondrial DNA is not part of one's 23 pairs of nucleic DNA chromosomes; it is extra DNA (separate from X,Y and the 22 autosomal chromosome pairs) inside only the mitochondrian which are inside each cell in your body, but separate from the nucleus. Only your mom can pass on mtDNA, because it is part of her egg. Once the male's sperm penetrates an egg, the sperm jettisons its mitochondria (contained at the base of its tail), so you can't ever get it from your father. mtDNA is actually a small remnant of an ancient single-celled bacterium that symbiotically joined with animal cells billions of years ago because of mutual benefit (the animal cell gains an energy-making factory, and the bacterium gained a home).

so mtdna does show just your mom's side as I asked? I see server limits with these additional tests because the Y test does not show the paternal mother's line and the mt test does not show the maternal father's line. still a lot of data unaccounted for.

fostert
06-16-2018, 09:57 PM
so mtdna does show just your mom's side as I asked? I see server limits with these additional tests because the Y test does not show the paternal mother's line and the mt test does not show the maternal father's line. still a lot of data unaccounted for.

Not only your mom's side, but her mother, and her mother's mother, and so on. Only females pass on mtDNA; males can inherit but never pass it on. mtDNA is to the all-female (maternal) line what the Y-chromosome is to the all-male (paternal) line.

JerryS.
06-16-2018, 10:51 PM
Not only your mom's side, but her mother, and her mother's mother, and so on. Only females pass on mtDNA; males can inherit but never pass it on. mtDNA is to the all-female (maternal) line what the Y-chromosome is to the all-male (paternal) line.

that's what I stated in the beginning just to be sure.

how is this/these tests any good when they each only show on side of the side they analyze? your mom's dad is still a mystery and your dad's mom is still a mystery. seems like there'd be a way to check those lines buy now.

thejkhan
06-16-2018, 11:00 PM
how is this/these tests any good when they each only show on side of the side they analyze? your mom's dad is still a mystery and your dad's mom is still a mystery. seems like there'd be a way to check those lines buy now.

Of course there is. Test your dad's mom/sister's mtDNA and your mom's dad/brother's y-DNA.

JerryS.
06-16-2018, 11:09 PM
Of course there is. Test your dad's mom/sister's mtDNA and your mom's dad/brother's y-DNA.

yes, I understood that, I was referring to what I thought was you testing with these tests using your own dna, not somebody else. I mention this because in cases of adoption or no older family members left or willing to test.... thank you for your replies.

Jatt1
06-17-2018, 04:51 AM

That is a mistake, 23andme is not going to tell you anything more on your maternal and paternal line, livingdna might.

msmarjoribanks
06-17-2018, 11:11 AM
For mtDNA and YDNA I'd go to FTDNA -- the resources there with the matches and projects are great, and I don't see any faults in the tests themselves. I mean, the issue with mtDNA is just whether it's a full test or not, and FTDNA offers that. With Y there are different types of tests and it depends how comprehensive you get, but you can get as comprehensive as I think you'd want at FTDNA -- the issue I see there, perhaps, would be whether you can get the same information more cheaply elsewhere, but that is going to depend on what your haplogroup is.

For those recommending other testing services, what do you see as the benefits vs. FTDNA?

Quick aside on mtDNA -- I wanted the full test for a variety of reasons, but if I'd just wanted to know my most specific haplogroup, to the level it's defined now, I got that at LivingDNA, as well as FTDNA (it's K2b2). But whether it will get you there is going to depend on haplogroup, of course.

Paul333
06-17-2018, 11:32 AM
I tested with Living Dna, and it will be nearly a year since then, and a year will be a long time in DNA research. I feel and 23 & me, may offer new and updated information, and it was not expensive, so I'll see what their information is before I follow up with FTDNA etc.

dsm
06-17-2018, 12:28 PM

1) If cost is not a big issue go for a BigY test at FTDNA. Note that most of the best DNA projects look to FTDNA and openly say that their tests are very good. But BigY while it includes 500 STR data too, is just that Y-DNA and STRs. However ...

2) If really expensive testing is no issue the org to go to is FGC (Full Genomes Corp) and take their Y-Elite test. They do the lot and to a finer granularity than FTDNA but are a lot more expensive and also will not retain any samples of your DNA while FTDNA will (good for doing the Family Finder later on at a cheap price).

3 ) My terminal haplogroup is S1194 which is a brother to P312 and U106. BUT, Living DNA when I sent them my sample, listed me as L51 with a haplogroup of L151. That is way up the tree and about 80% of Europe are L151 (incl all P13 and all U106). But, the Living DNA data did come very close to my Family Finder data so, maybe them calling me as L151 is no big deal. Living DNA are partnering with Eupedia to produce what looks like an excellent set of reference populations for mapping Living DNA autosomal results. In time they may prove to be the best.

4) Ancestry seem to be building the biggest database but their marketing is so over the top and their early population analysis so abstract that I simply donít trust them yet. In time they may be a force to be reckoned with.

5) 23andme - donít know if they are better than anyone else. The other autosomal testers are similar.

6) Natgeo2 NGS plus stopped using FTDNA to do their analysis and while I rate them very highly (they test Y-DNA and mt and auto), I can no longer get their raw data into gedmatch (which to me is one of the great admixture analysis sites available). They are in the data sense, the best value for money.

Happy hunting.

Paul333
06-17-2018, 12:50 PM
1) If cost is not a big issue go for a BigY test at FTDNA. Note that most of the best DNA projects look to FTDNA and openly say that their tests are very good. But BigY while it includes 500 STR data too, is just that Y-DNA and STRs. However ...

2) If really expensive testing is no issue the org to go to is FGC (Full Genomes Corp) and take their Y-Elite test. They do the lot and to a finer granularity than FTDNA but are a lot more expensive and also will not retain any samples of your DNA while FTDNA will (good for doing the Family Finder later on at a cheap price).

3 ) My terminal haplogroup is S1194 which is a brother to P312 and U106. BUT, Living DNA when I sent them my sample, listed me as L51 with a haplogroup of L151. That is way up the tree and about 80% of Europe are L151 (incl all P13 and all U106). But, the Living DNA data did come very close to my Family Finder data so, maybe them calling me as L151 is no big deal. Living DNA are partnering with Eupedia to produce what looks like an excellent set of reference populations for mapping Living DNA autosomal results. In time they may prove to be the best.

4) Ancestry seem to be building the biggest database but their marketing is so over the top and their early population analysis so abstract that I simply don’t trust them yet. In time they may be a force to be reckoned with.

5) 23andme - don’t know if they are better than anyone else. The other autosomal testers are similar.

6) Natgeo2 NGS plus stopped using FTDNA to do their analysis and while I rate them very highly (they test Y-DNA and mt and auto), I can no longer get their raw data into gedmatch (which to me is one of the great admixture analysis sites available). They are in the data sense, the best value for money.

Happy hunting.

Ive already commited to 23 & Me, as they do their own Y & Mtdna test, and have sent the sample etc, as mentioned above. I will wait and see what information they supply.

I have my LivingDNA Autosomal results, showing 100% Great Britian & Ireland, 100% European, and cautious has my results as 54.3% Northumbria related, 29.7% South East England, 4.4 % Orkney, and Cornwall 3.2%, ( have no link with Cornwall that I know of ) with the rest Great Britian & Ireland unassigned 8.3%, and it will be intresting to look forward to the 23 & me to see what they show.

Ive already noticed some changes about DNA data protection changes in UK, and EU. The Swedish DNA Data Base, which was open to the public, has now closed recently due to the new E.U. rulings coming into effect, (think it was 25th May 2018 ). So I think this action may have a knock on effect regarding Data sharing and public access, and may even effect pricing, so it may be better to wait and see, short term with Ftdna etc.

My Y-DNA ( H2 ) is so rare here in UK, it will not be too difficult to match, but finding information about it is. At one stage it was believed to be extinct..lol, there is only one other person with Y H2 i know of in Uk ,and he is Picto22 from Scotland,on this site.

Jatt1
06-17-2018, 07:08 PM
23andme may be good only if you are testing for health reasons, it is of little use for haplogroups.

FGC test will give you both maternal and paternal detailed information but at FTDNA you will need two different test to get the same, and for that reason it will actually cost you more at FTDNA .

ajc347
06-17-2018, 08:33 PM

$645 for Y Elite 2.1 mans that it is now cheaper than Big Y-500 which has a non-sale price of $649.

MacUalraig
06-19-2018, 07:14 AM

I funded one the other day and it cost me UKP516.