PDA

View Full Version : YDNA Testing Options

MJost
10-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Lets cover the options as I know them realizing that some outilier options may not be listed.

As I understand it, about a month ago, FtDNA has reported that they have temporarily stopped WTY testing orders and made refunds to those in the queue. They stated that they anticipation of even better testing options that will be available in the near future. FtDNA has continued existing SINGLE SNP testing and FtDNA has stated that they plan on offering testing of the newest found SNPs. But I haven't heard of any new SNP product developed has been offered lately.

FtDNA, a long while back, dropped its YDNA haplogroup Deep Clade testing in favor of the Nat Geo's Geno2 Chip which FtDNA does the testing for. Since Y DNA Geno2's introduction and more recently a BritishDNA's Chomo2 and a Full Genomes' Comprehensive Y-DNA Sequencing service, FtDNA has drawn a line in the business sand to not implement any competitive products either due to contract non-compete clause(s) and/or the need for new acquisitions required to proceed with a more complex analysis on the newer DNA sequencing platforms.

We are waiting to hear what FtDNA has for any future plans ourselves. I would advise monitoring what new L21 subclades are being tested in the Chromo2 panel as they are reveled and follow your haplogroup's position on Isogg's phylogenetic chart.

If there is a time issue with a testee, contact FtDNA and see if they will send a couple of extra vials for future use storage.

Chromo2 covers over 15,000 predefined Y chromosome markers (but no definitive list has been publised that I am aware of) at a current 189 British Pound Sterling conversion price of over $300 US.

FtDNA's WTY, its SNP discovery testing program, had a last published pricing of $950. If this price seems reasonable, I would consider the Full Y DNA testing option that would sequence a FULL Y chromosome allowing you to determine the exact SNP's and STR's for the approx. current price of over $1,300.

MJost

MacUalraig
10-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Lets cover the options as I know them realizing that some outilier options may not be listed.

As I understand it, about a month ago, FtDNA has reported that they have temporarily stopped WTY testing orders and made refunds to those in the queue. They stated that they anticipation of even better testing options that will be available in the near future. FtDNA has continued existing SINGLE SNP testing and FtDNA has stated that they plan on offering testing of the newest found SNPs. But I haven't heard of any new SNP product developed has been offered lately.

FtDNA, a long while back, dropped its YDNA haplogroup Deep Clade testing in favor of the Nat Geo's Geno2 Chip which FtDNA does the testing for. Since Y DNA Geno2's introduction and more recently a BritishDNA's Chomo2 and a Full Genomes' Comprehensive Y-DNA Sequencing service, FtDNA has drawn a line in the business sand to not implement any competitive products either due to contract non-compete clause(s) and/or the need for new acquisitions required to proceed with a more complex analysis on the newer DNA sequencing platforms.

We are waiting to hear what FtDNA has for any future plans ourselves. I would advise monitoring what new L21 subclades are being tested in the Chromo2 panel as they are reveled and follow your haplogroup's position on Isogg's phylogenetic chart.

If there is a time issue with a testee, contact FtDNA and see if they will send a couple of extra vials for future use storage.

Chromo2 covers over 15,000 predefined Y chromosome markers (but no definitive list has been publised that I am aware of) at a current 189 British Pound Sterling conversion price of over $300 US.

FtDNA's WTY, its SNP discovery testing program, had a last published pricing of $950. If this price seems reasonable, I would consider the Full Y DNA testing option that would sequence a FULL Y chromosome allowing you to determine the exact SNP's and STR's for the approx. current price of over $1,300.

MJost

Chromo2 RAW is 129 (USD205 as of today) and gives you all the data available. The price you quoted adds on the silly narratives/Genographic style maps etc. and can be done without.

GoldenHind
10-09-2013, 06:26 PM
I keep hearing rumors about plans by some company to offer al a carte SNP testing at a reasonable price, for so far nothing definite. I think there is certainly a market for it at the moment. We have promises by FTDNA that they plan to continue with testing for newly discovered SNPs, but absolutely no action on their part. I know of some FTDNA customers who have tired of waiting, and have turned to Chromo 2. But even Chromo 2 will have its limits as new SNPs are discovered. Unless there are some new developments, testing with FullGenomes will be the only option, and not many will be willing to spring for it. Thus the advancement of our knowledge may soon come to a screetching halt.