PDA

View Full Version : I suggest you relax about "pseudoscience"

ApostateAbe
05-22-2018, 08:28 PM
This thread was closed due to "pseudoscientific content":

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?14337-How-will-humans-divide-into-many-species-next

I think pseudoscience should be allowed to talk about. I expect the words, "caucasoid, mongoloid and negroid," raised the objection, but that isn't even pseudoscience. They are racial classifications used by modern professional forensic anthropologists and orthopedic/orthodontic anthropologists (i.e. see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5278581/), and for good reason: the differences are observable, replicable, and grounded in evolutionary biology (genotypic differences among races are largely a function of the ancestral geographic differences, following from genetic drift). Whenever the word, "pseudoscience," is used, it is usually taken to mean ideas that are wrong, but in fact they are merely ideas that are morally uncomfortable. For example, the theory of luminiferous ether was wrong, but it was never called "pseudoscience." Ideas we just don't like are called "pseudoscience." Should we guide our scientific thinking according to our morals? Our wishes? Our politics? Of course not. Objective reality doesn't care one way or the other for our feelings or our ideology or anything like that. Should we prohibit all improbable ideas from consideration? That would cripple scientific progress: it always starts with improbable hypotheses.

ApostateAbe
05-22-2018, 09:53 PM
Sorry I did not see the "Suggestions" sub-forum.

Administrator
05-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Apparently you have difficulty reading the Terms of Service.

3.13 Anthrogenica is a forum for free and honest discussion. It is not a pulpit to proselytize or to promote certain viewpoints that would be better-suited to a personal blog. Such behaviour is prohibited. What constitutes the aforementioned, and whether infraction delivery is warranted, will be determined at the administration's discretion.

3.14 Pseudoscientific material that is presented as scientific will be deleted immediately and without notice by the administration. Furthermore, it is the poster's duty to preemptively determine whether their imminent posts contain masked pseudoscience.

3.15 Users who disregard these aforementioned limitations to 3.1 will be found to be in violation of the Terms of Service and will be disciplined accordingly.