PDA

View Full Version : E-BY5650

Noa
05-25-2018, 06:34 PM
I am new to the forum and genetic genealogy.

I am searching for info about my paternal grandfather. No one knows anything about him except his birthplace in a town on the Bosnia/Croatia border. He stated his ethnicity was "Serbian" on his immigration papers.

My auDNA results show Montenegro, Bosnia and Serbia.

On FTDNA I have one match with the same surname, who is in Serbia. He states his Y-DNA haplogroup is E-BY5650.

Does anyone know the origin of this haplogroup? Thank you so much for any info anyone can provide.

(My only two known male paternal relatives do not want to take a DNA test. Since I am female I can't test for my Y-haplogroup so this FTDNA match is my only info).

AbdoNumen
05-26-2018, 03:29 AM
Hi Noa,

Haplogroup E-BY5650 is a subgroup of E-L241, which is estimated to be 3-4k ybp, and is in turn a subclade of the general haplogroup E-V13. It seems to be "native" to the Balkans, but was also found as far as England.

https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-L241/

Noa
05-26-2018, 04:52 PM
Hi Noa,

Haplogroup E-BY5650 is a subgroup of E-L241, which is estimated to be 3-4k ybp, and is in turn a subclade of the general haplogroup E-V13. It seems to be "native" to the Balkans, but was also found as far as England.

Thank you so much AbdoNumen!

I had looked at the tree but could not find it. Very much appreciate your help!

AbdoNumen
05-28-2018, 10:53 PM
Thank you so much AbdoNumen!

I had looked at the tree but could not find it. Very much appreciate your help!

That's because FTDNA has a more up-to-date tree, with a SNP below E-L241. You can see it if you click on "Haplotree & SNPs" under the Y-DNA menu.
Did you try contacting the match? I assume he's on a high enough resolution (25 markers or above). Otherwise, try contacting the E-M35 project admins.

AbdoNumen
05-30-2018, 01:37 AM
Correction to the last statement (forgot he's an atDNA match and not Y-DNA): It would depend if he's matching significant amounts of DNA. Without testing yDNA it's hard to establish whether the man indeed shares a paternal common ancestor with you.

Noa
06-04-2018, 09:48 PM
Correction to the last statement (forgot he's an atDNA match and not Y-DNA): It would depend if he's matching significant amounts of DNA. Without testing yDNA it's hard to establish whether the man indeed shares a paternal common ancestor with you.

He's a "5th - distant cousin" so not very close.

But I told my uncle about this potential paternal relative and it interested him enough that he agreed to take a test!!!! I just ordered the test today from FTDNA for him (as soon as it went on sale) so it will be a few months wait, and then I'll know.

Thank you again for your help!

Noa
06-14-2018, 04:53 AM
I have a new match at Gedmatch and his Ydna is E-L241*.

He's using an alias so I don't know his surname. His email is Russian, but all of his closest matches are all over the Balkans (east, west and south) + Turkey. He is a different match than the one at FTDNA. Does this strengthen the possibility of my paternal Ydna haplogroup being E-L241?

I just received the FTDNA kit for my uncle yesterday. I will mail it to him tomorrow (auDNA + 37 Ydna).

(The first hurdle was getting him to agree to take the test. The 2nd will be for him to actually do it, and the 3rd will be to get him to sign the consent form so we can see his matches). *sigh*

Noa
06-18-2018, 12:14 AM
My uncle received the FTDNA kit yesterday and phoned to say how excited he was about it and wants to mail the samples in first thing monday morning. He also said no problem signing the consent form because he really wants to see his matches! This is great!

He's the best uncle ever! :thumb: :)

tsunami
06-19-2018, 11:58 PM
Hi Noa,

why don't you contact that match? My experience is that persons from Gedmatch usually respond back.

Noa
06-20-2018, 04:39 AM
Hi Noa,

why don't you contact that match? My experience is that persons from Gedmatch usually respond back.

Since my uncle has agreed to be tested, I thought I should wait until I have more info before contacting the match.

Good to know that people from Gedmatch usually respond back!

tsunami
06-20-2018, 02:13 PM
If your uncle will match auDNA an Y-DNA with the mentioned person from FTDNA (same surname), that would be really great. For Y-DNA tests you will see only matches whose difference in STR markers is below some value. Limit for Y-37 is 4 markers or less. Because STR mutations can go back-and-forth it is quite possible that close maches would be from different subgroups (usually neighboring), while you will not have any from the same subgroup.

Noa
07-23-2018, 12:29 AM
My uncle's results came in this past week and....

......I'm in the wrong thread;)

My uncles hg is I2a1b3 > S17250