PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with my Y-DNA raw data

05-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Sorry if this has been asked or if the answer is obvious but I cannot understand what I should do with it since Gedmatch only deals with Autosomal DNA

So I got a bunch of numbers and I have no idea what they mean

RobertCasey
05-28-2018, 07:52 PM
Sorry if this has been asked or if the answer is obvious but I cannot understand what I should do with it since Gedmatch only deals with Autosomal DNA

So I got a bunch of numbers and I have no idea what they mean

You need to join your Surname project and your Haplogroup project. And then get on the "Activity Feed" and post your questions. You should also attempt to get up to speed as much as you can by watching YouTube videos on YDNA analysis. Just go to YouTube and search "Genetic Genealogy Ireland" for the best videos on YDNA research.

05-29-2018, 05:52 AM
You need to join your Surname project and your Haplogroup project. And then get on the "Activity Feed" and post your questions. You should also attempt to get up to speed as much as you can by watching YouTube videos on YDNA analysis. Just go to YouTube and search "Genetic Genealogy Ireland" for the best videos on YDNA research.

But I took the test with Living DNA, aren't those projects you mention for FTDNA users only?

Osiris
05-29-2018, 06:48 AM
I poked around and while I could be wrong it seems like Living DNA gave you the SNP of L24 which occurred about 15,000 years ago. I think if you wish to test deeper and find more recent SNPs you'd have to test with another company like FTDNA or YSEQ. The raw data from Living DNA on the Y chromosome doesn't appear to have additional data on the Y chromosome or they would have reported it.