PDA

View Full Version : "The genes of many marine creatures are patented—and one company owns half of them"

History-of-Things
06-07-2018, 03:10 AM
https://www.popsci.com/marine-genetic-patents?src=SOC&dom=fb

firemonkey
06-07-2018, 04:15 AM
And this advances science? How?

Webb
06-07-2018, 01:14 PM
This is interesting as the United States Supreme Court has already ruled that genes cannot be patented. This was done when the one company, I forget which one, was trying to claim patent on the markers used to determine the propensity for breast cancer. This was two years ago , I think.

Kale
06-07-2018, 05:16 PM
This is interesting as the United States Supreme Court has already ruled that genes cannot be patented. This was done when the one company, I forget which one, was trying to claim patent on the markers used to determine the propensity for breast cancer. This was two years ago , I think.

Are not the genes of GMO foodstuffs patented however?
I distinctly remember buying some seeds for a garden a few years ago and on the back of the packet it said it was illegal to sell the resulting fruit because it was patented (this is in the U.S.)

Webb
06-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Are not the genes of GMO foodstuffs patented however?
I distinctly remember buying some seeds for a garden a few years ago and on the back of the packet it said it was illegal to sell the resulting fruit because it was patented (this is in the U.S.)

If it is genetically altered then it can be patented, but not the original genome.

Kale
06-08-2018, 02:44 AM
Seems kind of dumb considering a lot of GMO's (if I'm correctly informed) are just original genes of one plant spliced into another.

Webb
06-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Seems kind of dumb considering a lot of GMO's (if I'm correctly informed) are just original genes of one plant spliced into another.

Yes, but it is very common in the United States to buy cultivated varieties of native plants. Maple trees as an example. You have Silver Maple and Red Maple natives. There are so many hybrids and cultivars available that when you look at the tag to purchase you will often see the Trade Mark of the cultivar. Red Maple “Autumn Blaze”. Fremanni Maple, which is a hybrid of the Silver and Red. These are examples of a native plant being cultivated and hybridized for specific qualities then being sold with a trade mark/ patent. The original donor species is not patented but the cultivar is.