PDA

View Full Version : Britain's DNA

ADW_1981
10-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Hello folks,

Just curious if this test has anything to offer. Right now I'm looking for a test that would tell me where in UK or Ireland my ancestors may have come from, or at least whatever the origin was of the "bulk" of the DNA I have inherited. Some recent studies have confirmed lots of travel between UK and Ireland within the last 500 years. However, I'm hoping that that a test could say "you are overwhelmingly from Somerset", or "you definitely have Orkney ancestry". I would imagine this type of result can only be accomplished through the use of many many samples strictly from the UK and Ireland, and covering every inch of the landmass... ignoring the rest of the European continent altogether ;)

Thoughts? Ideas? Is there a test out there? I don't need to see a rehash of 23andMe or FTDNA. I know where most of my ancestry stems, but I would like a more narrowed result within that group if possible.

Wing Genealogist
10-15-2013, 04:09 PM
This may be possible "sometime" down the road, but at the present moment in time is really beyond what we can technically achieve.

The "Peoples of the British Isles Project" http://www.peopleofthebritishisles.org/press/?r=I is probably in the forefront of this research.

While the BritainsDNA Chromo 2 test results can include an analysis (which may claim a tribal origination for your Y-DNA clade), most DNA enthusiasts believe this analysis is closer to snake oil remedies than factual.

ADW_1981
10-15-2013, 04:48 PM
This may be possible "sometime" down the road, but at the present moment in time is really beyond what we can technically achieve.

The "Peoples of the British Isles Project" http://www.peopleofthebritishisles.org/press/?r=I is probably in the forefront of this research.

While the BritainsDNA Chromo 2 test results can include an analysis (which may claim a tribal origination for your Y-DNA clade), most DNA enthusiasts believe this analysis is closer to snake oil remedies than factual.

Thanks for the input. I'll likely stay away from this one then, but the 40 red hair variants seems kinda neat. Not sure if these are in the raw 23andMe data anyhow..?

rms2
10-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Since you posted this in the autosomal dna subforum, I assume you were referring to BritainsDNA's Chromo2 "All My Ancestry" test, which includes 250,000 autosomal markers.

http://www.britainsdna.com/products/all-my-ancestry

I ordered the Chromo2 Complete, which includes this test along with the y-dna, mtDNA, and red hair variants tests.

You get the data yourself, and there is nothing "snake oil" about that. You can ignore the tribal references if you disagree with them or don't like them. It seems to me the questions are whether or not BritainsDNA is a reputable and reliable firm - I think it is -, whether or not Dr. Jim Wilson is someone you can count on - I think he is -, and whether or not the Chromo2 "All My Ancestry" test is worth the money - I think it is, but time will tell.

Personally, I regard the historical narrative, with its possible tribal or ethnic references, to be a bit of fun and clever marketing. An intelligent person can make up his or her own mind about how seriously to take all that. After all, isn't National Geographic still telling people via its web site that R1b is Cro Magnon? I know they were doing that for quite some time if they aren't still doing it. That's not "snake oil" then?

Of course, the proof is in the pudding, so I'll be able to speak more authoritatively once my results come in.

ADW_1981
10-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Since you posted this in the autosomal dna subforum, I assume you were referring to BritainsDNA's Chromo2 "All My Ancestry" test, which includes 250,000 autosomal markers.

http://www.britainsdna.com/products/all-my-ancestry

I ordered the Chromo2 Complete, which includes this test along with the y-dna, mtDNA, and red hair variants tests.

You get the data yourself, and there is nothing "snake oil" about that. You can ignore the tribal references if you disagree with them or don't like them. It seems to me the questions are whether or not BritainsDNA is a reputable and reliable firm - I think it is -, whether or not Dr. Jim Wilson is someone you can count on - I think he is -, and whether or not the Chromo2 "All My Ancestry" test is worth the money - I think it is, but time will tell.

Personally, I regard the historical narrative, with its possible tribal or ethnic references, to be a bit of fun and clever marketing. An intelligent person can make up his or her own mind about how seriously to take all that. After all, isn't National Geographic still telling people via its web site that R1b is Cro Magnon? I know they were doing that for quite some time if they aren't still doing it. That's not "snake oil" then?

Of course, the proof is in the pudding, so I'll be able to speak more authoritatively once my results come in.

rms2,

My questions were not regarding the credibility of the company. My questions were pertaining the actual usefulness of the test. If it's just a poor man's version (or rich man's!) of 23andMe or FTDNA, then I will not spend the 300 USD or whatever it will turn out to be. A company called Britain's DNA sounds exciting, but if it's not going to tell me anything beyond K=12 ADMIXTURE, then there is absolutely no point. How about K=12 intra-British, that sounds far better to me - but if we're not there yet, that's fine. Once *that* product comes out, I'll be interested again.

Wing Genealogist
10-15-2013, 09:08 PM
I should have been clear about my concerns about the BritainsDNA Chromo2 test. I fully expect the raw data from the Chromo2 chip to be high-quality. I was only commenting about the "analysis" which comes with an additional fee. I apologize for this lack of clarity earlier.

As others have mentioned, we cannot know for certain what will & what will not appear in the results (Y, mt & autosomal) until we actually receive results. Chip-based tests (such as this Chromo 2, as well as 23andMe and Geno 2.0) are prone to leave out some SNPs. This is due to the complex manufacturing process on a microscopic scale. Some SNPs are much more difficult to capture on these chips, and inevitably some probes (how SNPs are detected on the chips) fail for technical reasons.

rms2
10-16-2013, 08:02 AM
rms2,

My questions were not regarding the credibility of the company. My questions were pertaining the actual usefulness of the test. If it's just a poor man's version (or rich man's!) of 23andMe or FTDNA, then I will not spend the 300 USD or whatever it will turn out to be. A company called Britain's DNA sounds exciting, but if it's not going to tell me anything beyond K=12 ADMIXTURE, then there is absolutely no point. How about K=12 intra-British, that sounds far better to me - but if we're not there yet, that's fine. Once *that* product comes out, I'll be interested again.

Of course, if you look at my post, you will see that it does not merely address the company's credibility but whether or not the test itself is worth the money. I think it is. I believe BritainsDNA's database is mostly British and Irish and pretty extensive.

Time will tell. I'm still looking forward to my own results.

jeanL
10-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Here is an interesting map about the distribution of red hair/ or red hair gene(I'm not sure which) in the UK and Ireland based on the results of the British DNA Project:

jacky374
11-01-2013, 10:30 AM
I will not spend the 300 USD or whatever it will turn out to be. A company called Britain's DNA sounds exciting, but if it's not going to tell me anything beyond K=12 ADMIXTURE, then there is absolutely no point. How about K=12 intra-British, that sounds far better to me - but if we're not there yet, that's fine. Once *that* product comes out, I'll be interested again.

Clinton P
11-01-2013, 12:13 PM
None of the testing companies or third party tools are capable fine-scale population structure in the UK analysis at the moment.

We'll just have to wait until the People of the British Isles (PoBI) project publication is formally issued, and hope that high-quality ancestrally informative markers identified in the PoBI project are included in your preferred testing companies product.

Clinton P

Humanist
11-01-2013, 01:08 PM

I will not spend the 300 USD or whatever it will turn out to be. A company called Britain's DNA sounds exciting, but if it's not going to tell me anything beyond K=12 ADMIXTURE, then there is absolutely no point. How about K=12 intra-British, that sounds far better to me - but if we're not there yet, that's fine. Once *that* product comes out, I'll be interested again.

jacky374: Next time you wish to quote another member, please use the "[QUOTE]" tags.