PDA

View Full Version : Any news on German and Irish update?

Hatton1995
06-13-2018, 10:16 PM
I seen a post from March saying that the Ireland update is 60 percent complete. I'm wondering if it's almost done now.

FionnSneachta
07-24-2018, 05:36 PM
An update posted today on Twitter:

Our 1F1W German project is currently 60% complete & we need more people with all 4 grandparents born within 80km (50mi) of each other inside Germany to help us - if you would like to help then please visit http://bit.ly/2IwZ5BF

There's no word on the Irish project. Considering Germany is now 60% complete and that's what Ireland was, you would think that the Irish project should be nearly complete by now.

Angriff
07-24-2018, 05:44 PM
An update posted today on Twitter:

There's no word on the Irish project. Considering Germany is now 60% complete and that's what Ireland was, you would think that the Irish project should be nearly complete by now.

The last update mentioned that the German project was moving faster than the Irish one though, IIRC. So it's possible that Ireland hasn't progressed as much in the interim.

FionnSneachta
07-24-2018, 06:00 PM
The last update mentioned that the German project was moving faster than the Irish one though, IIRC. So it's possible that Ireland hasn't progressed as much in the interim.

I wasn't aware of that. I can understand why it may be difficult to get Irish testers. Unless you have an interest, you're not going to spend €99 on a DNA test and then of course there's the people that are wary of DNA tests. People may just not have heard about the product also. I remember that I heard about the project through the Irish Independent since they put an ad up on the website. A while later they had an ad up looking for more testers in certain areas but nothing since then. I might just upload my parents results to it. They should also get the free ethnicity update now. I didn't want to at first because I didn't know if an upload would accurately match their imputation technique and also I didn't want to create some sort of bias by having myself and two people that I'm closely related to in the database. Three samples could hardly skew it too badly though.

I'm tempted to contact them again about the project but I don't know if I'll be told anything specific.

MacEochaidh
07-25-2018, 04:08 PM
LivingDNA posted this today (7/25/2018) on facebook: Our Irish Project is currently 40% complete - We are looking for people with all four grandparents born within 80km (50mi) of each other inside Ireland.

It would appear the Irish update is years away.

FionnSneachta
07-25-2018, 05:56 PM
LivingDNA posted this today (7/25/2018) on facebook: Our Irish Project is currently 40% complete - We are looking for people with all four grandparents born within 80km (50mi) of each other inside Ireland.

It would appear the Irish update is years away.

Did they not say before that the Irish project was 60% complete before this? I can't find where they said now though. They must have had a major setback or else samples have stopped coming in. Still, it makes you wonder if these percentages that they announce mean much at all. This time last year I had been told early to mid 2018. At least, he did say that development could be unpredictable and that it's not set in stone. Before that, there was that puzzling Debbie Kennett article that claimed there would be an Irish update eight weeks after 20 April 2017.

TopLobster
07-26-2018, 04:06 PM
They said the Irish project was 60% complete at the Roots Tech Conference 2018. I think that was in March.

The slideshow presentation showed:
Irish One Family Project
60% Complete
Collecting samples in all regions
Interesting structure starting to appear

AntG
07-27-2018, 09:19 AM
They said the Irish project was 60% complete at the Roots Tech Conference 2018. I think that was in March.

The slideshow presentation showed:
Irish One Family Project
60% Complete
Collecting samples in all regions
Interesting structure starting to appear

Correct... https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13773-Living-DNA-at-RootsTech-18-(Irish-German-Scottish-Project-update)

07-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Correct... https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13773-Living-DNA-at-RootsTech-18-(Irish-German-Scottish-Project-update)

Interesting I will query that on their Twitter account and feed back to you.

TopLobster
07-28-2018, 06:07 PM
It may be that the person who posted the Twitter updates accidentally switched the completion percentages of the Irish and German projects, but that would mean that they haven't made any progress since March, or that they increased their target number of reference members.

FionnSneachta
07-28-2018, 06:49 PM
It may be that the person who posted the Twitter updates accidentally switched the completion percentages of the Irish and German projects, but that would mean that they haven't made any progress since March, or that they increased their target number of reference members.

That would be a gap of 4 months and that wouldn't be the first time that it looks like they've made no progress in a few months.

Debbie Kennett posted on 20th April 2017, "We learnt at Who Do You Think You Are? Live this year that they now have around 1200 samples from Ireland and are expecting to roll out their Irish update in about eight weeks' time." https://cruwys.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-dna-day-sale-at-living-dna-and-news.html

Debbie later posted three months later on 30th July 2017, "Their Irish DNA Research Project is going well and they already have 1200 samples. They now have 450 people in their German DNA Research Project." https://cruwys.blogspot.com/2017/07/living-dna-updates-and-gedmatch-genesis.html

Once again, the whole thing is making me doubt any of their claims.

07-28-2018, 07:21 PM
They sure seem to drag their feet.

My opinion is if they are trying to iron out flaws in their science and software, just put it out as Beta, people then can see what their trying to achieve and will also be more forgiving.

08-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Interesting I will query that on their Twitter account and feed back to you.

@Living_DNA
Replying to @Doodle7
It is 40% - The progress of the project can rise and fall as we gather samples/run quality checks. At Roots tech the no. of samples added was 60% of the samples we believed we needed, sadly we had to reject some of that number because they didn't meet the deep ancestry quality.
1:29 pm 1 Aug 2018
SG-D
SG-D
@Doodle7

5h
Replying to @Living_DNA
Thank you for the clarification, to a lay person it just seemed confusing, but you explained it beautifully.

Jessie
08-13-2018, 06:16 AM
I wonder why LivingDNA did not organise to get access to the Irish DNA Atlas database as some of the people involved with the PoBI were involved with the IDA as well? At least with scientific studies you are sure they are authentic in that you have to prove where your grandparents were born in the case of the PoBI and great grandparents with the IDA. Not sure of the legalities though but a lot of dna companies appear to get access to some of these studies' databases. There doesn't appear to have been any updates with LivingDNA for a while and some of the information they have on countries such as Ireland are way out of date and not really accurate.

Loderingo
08-13-2018, 08:38 AM
I wonder whether they are trying to go too granular with Ireland. They are collecting data in 13 Irish regions but the population of the whole island is 6.7 million. Compare with England, where there are 14 regions and a population of 57 million

Capitalis
08-13-2018, 07:16 PM
I wonder whether they are trying to go too granular with Ireland. They are collecting data in 13 Irish regions but the population of the whole island is 6.7 million. Compare with England, where there are 14 regions and a population of 57 million

And most of the English population is in the ‘red’ South & Central England cluster that doesn’t split easily, despite the various regions that LivingDNA present.

sktibo
08-16-2018, 04:21 AM

I think what they're doing is a bit excessive. It would be fantastic even if they could split Ireland into 4-6 regions. Of course the IDA were able to identify more regions than that..

Whatever gets it rolled out sooner and with accuracy, even if that means less regions is what they should do IMO