PDA

View Full Version : Pro Genealogist?

chelle
06-14-2018, 09:54 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has ever used the Pro Genealogist service through Ancestry or something similar and what your experience was. I have started giving it some thought to help with my brick wall in regards to my Jewish ancestors. Thanks.

Osiris
06-15-2018, 07:20 PM
I did it about 15 yeas ago for my Slovakian grandmother. I think I got 4 or 5 hours, hard to recall. He did good work and had access to records that I didn't at the time so I was happy if poorer. I think the key might be to know if there are records that could contain the info you want and how complicated they are.

Recently FamilySearch.org scanned the Slovakian church books so I was able to confirm his research myself.

chelle
06-15-2018, 08:03 PM
I did it about 15 yeas ago for my Slovakian grandmother. I think I got 4 or 5 hours, hard to recall. He did good work and had access to records that I didn't at the time so I was happy if poorer. I think the key might be to know if there are records that could contain the info you want and how complicated they are.

Recently FamilySearch.org scanned the Slovakian church books so I was able to confirm his research myself.

I wish that was an option. The website says 2500 to start basically and then when I heard back, they said about 40 hours minimum/5,000 dollars is what it would cost for what I wanted. I mean it would answer a lot of questions, but wow......guess I will continue to have questions for now.

C J Wyatt III
06-15-2018, 08:26 PM
I wish that was an option. The website says 2500 to start basically and then when I heard back, they said about 40 hours minimum/5,000 dollars is what it would cost for what I wanted. I mean it would answer a lot of questions, but wow......guess I will continue to have questions for now.

That's a lot. Where and how far back do you think your brickwall is?

Jack

Osiris
06-15-2018, 08:43 PM
That is a lot. Mine was basically they guy went to the archives and used the index to review for my family information. It wasn't totally unreasonable per hour either. I don't recall where exactly I got the name of the guy from, maybe a genealogy magazine or a website that lists lots of professional genealogists around the world, probably the later. I think he might have been $50 an hour.

chelle
06-15-2018, 10:35 PM
That's a lot. Where and how far back do you think your brickwall is?

Jack

I have a few issues. The first is I am not positive of my great-grandmother's father's name, since he supposedly died before they immigrated. Also, her mother and sisters have the last name Barron, but her brothers got the name Brown. So I have no clue what the original name or spelling was. The second is that I always thought most of my lines probably came from Ukraine area, but now I have a couple of lines that I am thinking might have had ties to Poland. So really, I have no definitive tie to anything beyond the ones that came here in late 1800's and early 1900's and are listed as Russian-Jewish or Yiddish on all census records. I did find that my great-great grandfather's brother who came over some years after him listed Konotop as last residence on some forms and I tried to look up records, but couldn't find English translations. I also found a passenger inquiry for a different great-great-great grandfather that said Rowno I think as last residence. I am not sure if that was Poland or Ukraine. I am grateful I have managed to find out as much as I have, but would love to find out more about everyone before they came over and be able to trace a few more lines back.

chelle
06-15-2018, 10:38 PM
That is a lot. Mine was basically they guy went to the archives and used the index to review for my family information. It wasn't totally unreasonable per hour either. I don't recall where exactly I got the name of the guy from, maybe a genealogy magazine or a website that lists lots of professional genealogists around the world, probably the later. I think he might have been $50 an hour.

Yeah, I am thinking using the Ancestry brand probably allows for a higher rate. They said 125 and hour. I would love to be able to afford to just say go for it and call it a gift to myself,or see if some other relatives wanted to go in together on it, but I doubt it.

On the bright side, I just got back from a trip to England and Scotland, so at least I can say I visited some ancestral homelands of other branches. ;)

C J Wyatt III
06-15-2018, 11:18 PM
I have a few issues. The first is I am not positive of my great-grandmother's father's name, since he supposedly died before they immigrated. Also, her mother and sisters have the last name Barron, but her brothers got the name Brown. So I have no clue what the original name or spelling was. The second is that I always thought most of my lines probably came from Ukraine area, but now I have a couple of lines that I am thinking might have had ties to Poland. So really, I have no definitive tie to anything beyond the ones that came here in late 1800's and early 1900's and are listed as Russian-Jewish or Yiddish on all census records. I did find that my great-great grandfather's brother who came over some years after him listed Konotop as last residence on some forms and I tried to look up records, but couldn't find English translations. I also found a passenger inquiry for a different great-great-great grandfather that said Rowno I think as last residence. I am not sure if that was Poland or Ukraine. I am grateful I have managed to find out as much as I have, but would love to find out more about everyone before they came over and be able to trace a few more lines back.

Looks like you had a male family member to do Y-DNA testing, and either you or a relative with the same matrilineal line has done mtDNA testing. I assume you have covered the autosomal DNA, too. Looks like some of what you are looking for is close enough that you might have some luck with autosomal analysis, but I guess you feel like have already exhausted those possibilities. I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to paper genealogy, but I would make sure that I had done all that I could with DNA before paying the big bucks for the professional.

Good luck.

Jack

chelle
06-15-2018, 11:41 PM
Thanks. :)

rms2
06-16-2018, 12:40 AM
A second cousin and I recently paid for research by Ancestry's genealogists. We got nearly nothing for all the money we paid. We gave them a lot of information and told them not to waste time on the stuff everyone had already done, but they wasted time on that anyway.

I cannot recommend Ancestry's genealogists to anyone who is not a millionaire or billionaire.

Paul333
06-16-2018, 12:08 PM
I would seek an independant and qualified Genealogist, for deep research. A lot of people advertise a service but are not qualified, but hobbyists, so be carefull. Buy Family History magazine's etc and look for professional qualified researchers. These are often advertised in these type magazines, and show their qualifications. I used the services of a few good and professional genealogists in UK, many years ago, and it was a sound investment. It was based on hourly work, and although it cost, it saved me a lot of time and expense in the long term. In the UK many older records, wills etc would be hard to read and understand today, and they usually have access to records that are not generally available to the public.

rms2
06-16-2018, 12:15 PM
A second cousin and I recently paid for research by Ancestry's genealogists. We got nearly nothing for all the money we paid. We gave them a lot of information and told them not to waste time on the stuff everyone had already done, but they wasted time on that anyway.

I cannot recommend Ancestry's genealogists to anyone who is not a millionaire or billionaire.

Here's another thing about Ancestry's genealogists: we were in their damned queue for over four months before they even started working for us. I don't think it was possible for them to still be conversant with the information we had given them by that time.

And evidently they weren't.