PDA

View Full Version : S/SC ASIAN Results :: FTDNA

Pages : [1] 2

misanthropy
06-24-2018, 04:33 PM
MODERATOR EDIT:

Post your FTDNA results here. At your convenience add your results to this spreadsheet: S/SC ASIAN :: FTDNA myOrigins (https://1drv.ms/x/s!Am_OOQX_t-4DgY0vG-7KE-sQ1TSs9g).
DO NOT create a new thread for individual results.

misanthropy's Original Post

via autosomal transfer from 23andme v4

https://i.imgur.com/0n1lCzK.png

Ancient European Origins
55% Metal Age Invader
16% Farmer
0% Hunter Gatherer
28% Non-European

Saad2016
06-24-2018, 05:05 PM
My results:

https://i.gyazo.com/c06ff44fc1c03763fdeadd70ac636030.png

https://i.gyazo.com/e3dfbe14b358fa273a3a9aa9bba98ef7.png

khanabadoshi
06-25-2018, 08:10 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/6fec9f94cd7046da1dbb9d7941dd4fa4.pnghttps://i.gyazo.com/39470b24f118f5fb916e0796fd8b7b6f.png
https://i.gyazo.com/fcc38389525089c2908df18d3e0878a3.pnghttps://i.gyazo.com/6278da629c37729494d53863edbeb836.png

coolguy
06-26-2018, 02:19 AM
Can somebody explain why north and central India and eastern Pakistan are labelled Central Asia? I have seen some other websites also mislabeled clearly South Asian components under Central Asia. The real Central Asia except for parts of Afghanistan and Tajikistan is mostly Mongoloid and Mongoloid-Caucasoid hybrids. What do they have to do with brown, racially South Asian people who are considered South Asian everywhere? And why did they give ancient European origins for non-Europeans?

MonkeyDLuffy
06-26-2018, 03:14 AM
Can somebody explain why north and central India and eastern Pakistan are labelled Central Asia? I have seen some other websites also mislabeled clearly South Asian components under Central Asia. The real Central Asia except for parts of Afghanistan and Tajikistan is mostly Mongoloid and Mongoloid-Caucasoid hybrids. What do they have to do with brown, racially South Asian people who are considered South Asian everywhere? And why did they give ancient European origins for non-Europeans?

https://i.imgur.com/qZzSaRB.gif

Anyhow, on the post, at most NW south Asia can be used with South Central asia since it is such a huge geographic region. I believe they divided it based on genetics of people of that region which does create a circle of some kind.

And ancient origins simply apply on all the the populations in the world that have genetic contribution from Hunter gatherers, Neolithic farmers and steppe pops.

Varun R
06-26-2018, 03:24 AM

Rahuls77
06-26-2018, 03:27 AM
My results:

Mine, Ancient Origins, are almost identical to yours. Its based on a generalised model with mostly western inputs, as such it does not mean much.

poi
06-26-2018, 05:58 AM

nuplix
06-26-2018, 08:09 AM
https://i.imgur.com/fwiXtyc.png

Rahuls77
06-26-2018, 08:27 AM
https://i.imgur.com/fwiXtyc.png

Much like mine, Pahpa, except for the Siberia / American which my results read of.

Saad2016
06-26-2018, 10:08 AM

You are right in pointing out to this error. Central Asia is not India/Pakistan but countries like Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan etc. . Afghanistan is not so central Asian though as most of its population is either pakthun or farsi speakers with a minority central Asian people living in the north of Afghanistan.

Saad2016
06-26-2018, 10:11 AM
Definition of central asia from encyclopedia Britannica :

Central Asia, central region of Asia, extending from the Caspian Sea in the west to the border of western China in the east. It is bounded on the north by Russia and on the south by Iran, Afghanistan, and China. The region consists of the former Soviet republics of Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Turkmenistan
https://cdn.britannica.com/700x450/40/7240-004-2F862B56.jpg

coolguy
06-26-2018, 10:24 AM
https://i.imgur.com/qZzSaRB.gif

Anyhow, on the post, at most NW south Asia can be used with South Central asia since it is such a huge geographic region. I believe they divided it based on genetics of people of that region which does create a circle of some kind.

And ancient origins simply apply on all the the populations in the world that have genetic contribution from Hunter gatherers, Neolithic farmers and steppe pops.

I think NW South Asia is also a wrong generalization. Not everyone in NW South Asia has the same ancestry. Some Punjabis are more similar to some South Indians than to other Punjabis. I think they should just divide the South Asia category into ANI and ASI.

coolguy
06-26-2018, 10:28 AM
You are right in pointing out to this error. Central Asia is not India/Pakistan but countries like Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan etc. . Afghanistan is not so central Asian though as most of its population is either pakthun or farsi speakers with a minority central Asian people living in the north of Afghanistan.

I agree. I think Afghanistan and west Pakistan can be considered South-Central Asia (ie transitional between south and central Asia). Eastern Pakistan and North India (except maybe Kashmir) is just south Asia, they are too south Asian to be considered transitional.

khanabadoshi
06-26-2018, 08:07 PM
MODERATOR NOTE: I am going to rename and sticky this thread. This will be the official curation thread of all FTDNA results. DO NOT start a new thread for individual results for any company. I will be making a similar sticky thread for 23andme, AncestryDNA, and LivingDNA.
Additionally, I will be making a spreadsheet for each respective company so that we have a subforum-wide curation for each company.

If you have a request for another company, let me know. I will make a sticky.

poi
06-26-2018, 08:17 PM
MODERATOR NOTE: I am going to rename and sticky this thread. This will be the official curation thread of all FTDNA results. DO NOT start a new thread for individual results for any company. I will be making a similar sticky thread for 23andme, AncestryDNA, and LivingDNA.
Additionally, I will be making a spreadsheet for each respective company so that we have a subforum-wide curation for each company.

WTG bro! This helps things be tidy and info available in 1 place.

khanabadoshi
06-26-2018, 08:31 PM
WTG bro! This helps things be tidy and info available in 1 place.

Yeah, I need to tidy up the forum. It's driving me nuts. We have lots of information but it's scattered all over. We make way too many redundant threads.
I am also going to make a Haplogroup sticky thread.

Smashorpass
07-07-2018, 11:22 PM

Thatís so weird! My results on the European side is totally Eastern European (8%) and my South Central Asian isnít nearly as high (13%). But I also get Siberian and NE Asian, as you.

misanthropy
07-08-2018, 02:31 AM
Me and poi get 7% and 8% SE Europe, respectively. Dunno what's up with that but the only similarity I see with poi is me having a lot of maternal ancestors from UP (more westward before that) while he's Nepali Brahmin.

pnb123
07-08-2018, 06:36 AM
Transfer from 23andmeV4

https://image.ibb.co/fw3aU8/14_D0950_E_83_A9_4_AC6_9_E8_B_C8_C49124_E62_A.jpg

MuslimPatel123
07-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Ancestry V2 Transfer
https://i.imgur.com/y4YFVPs.png

poi
07-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Ancestry V2 Transfer
https://i.imgur.com/y4YFVPs.png

Wow, 20% Middle Eastern. Does you family have tradition of Arab ancestry? 20% looks like a substantial chunk.

poi
07-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Me and poi get 7% and 8% SE Europe, respectively. Dunno what's up with that but the only similarity I see with poi is me having a lot of maternal ancestors from UP (more westward before that) while he's Nepali Brahmin.

Transfer from 23andmeV4

https://image.ibb.co/gAKhro/7905652_A_35_E1_460_E_90_E8_4_C8951407_D27.jpg

Me and pnb have same South Asian breakdown but our Euro/EastAsian breakdowns are different as well. I always feel like we shouldn't take the exact populations and percentages, instead look at trends with other in-group person's scores. One thing I have seen across calculators that I have higher East Asian than pnb in almost all calculators.

pnb123
07-08-2018, 05:01 PM
Me and pnb have same South Asian breakdown but our Euro/EastAsian breakdowns are different as well. I always feel like we shouldn't take the exact populations and percentages, instead look at trends with other in-group person's scores. One thing I have seen across calculators that I have higher East Asian than pnb in almost all calculators.

I think you score EEF/Med on top of usual NE Euro, so that’s why it might be showing SE Europe. I don’t score any of that, so my Euro is all NE Euro. But I do tend to score little West Middle East (SW Asian) pretty much across all calculators (even 23andm, lol), but I think it’s just noise. Here’s my ancestry timeline from 23andme. Idk how they figure out about your ancestors though :

https://image.ibb.co/jrLiGo/3_D908738_1862_4_D9_E_8641_9_D7_C2_CA4_E5_CA.jpg

misanthropy
07-08-2018, 05:58 PM

One trend that I see with myself across calculators is elevated SE Asian and Euro, with Euro sometimes slightly or a lot more than expected for my geographic location. Pretty sure the Euro is some sort of steppe, of course. Even shows up on my 23andme. Also very lowered Indus Periphery across calcs.

MuslimPatel123
07-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Wow, 20% Middle Eastern. Does you family have tradition of Arab ancestry? 20% looks like a substantial chunk.

Nope, we claim 100% hindu descent but I do seem to get middle eastern pops on every calculator https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13001-Gujarati-Muslim-Results&p=392524&viewfull=1#post392524

The ftdna result seems strange since it completely skips over a lot of the plausible source regions like Persia, Balochistan, Afganistan etc.

aaronbee2010
07-08-2018, 06:45 PM
MyHeritage Transfer

Sapporo
07-08-2018, 10:26 PM
FTDNA Kit Results: No Transfer

khanabadoshi
07-09-2018, 04:34 AM
FTDNA is definitely showing a difference between between the Brahmin and Jatts v. everyone else, even in Punjab. Looks like all the Jatt and Brahmin members score some European, and everyone else is 0 or negligible. Even the Kho and my 1st Cousin score very little European, preferring Asia Minor. Just something I noticed.

misanthropy
07-09-2018, 05:34 AM
FTDNA is definitely showing a difference between between the Brahmin and Jatts v. everyone else, even in Punjab. Looks like all the Jatt and Brahmin members score some European, and everyone else is 0 or negligible. Even the Kho and my 1st Cousin score very little European, preferring Asia Minor. Just something I noticed.

That's a neat observation, but what about me over here in South Central India? I doubt I had Brahmin ancestors. Probably picked up by one side of my mom's family that migrated from the "Khorasan" region around the 1300s. Definitely my mom's side though since my dad has pretty much all southern ancestry in general.

Edit: I find it comical that I don't really fit neatly into any one group in general on most of these calcs. I'm always the wild card here lol.

khanabadoshi
07-09-2018, 06:12 AM
That's a neat observation, but what about me over here in South Central India? I doubt I had Brahmin ancestors. Probably picked up by one side of my mom's family that migrated from the "Khorasan" region around the 1300s. Definitely my mom's side though since my dad has pretty much all southern ancestry in general.

Edit: I find it comical that I don't really fit neatly into any one group in general on most of these calcs. I'm always the wild card here lol.

LOL I was thinking about that as I was typing... 'except misanthropy'. TBH, I don't know what it implies. I think your European is 7%? So it means something. Goes to show that all "groups" we make and observable patterns we see aren't to be taken rigidly or as rules. They are just ways to help orient ourselves.

Reza
07-09-2018, 06:37 AM
Have you had either of your parents tested?

I doubt that specific West Asian heritage from one single ancestor from 700 years ago would show in your results. Alot of these family traditions exist in Muslim societies, but even with syeds who demonstrate written shajaras... I'm yet to see a genuine Arab y dna profile on this forum (taking on board the argument for whatever might be the true syed profile).

Totally take on board the background on your dad's side though.

More likely the euro is either part and parcel of the more recent Arab heritage from your father's side, or representative of your mother's UP heritage. That UP heritage could feasibly include a more cosmopolitan Muslim heritage, but one shouldn't exclude brahmin or 'higher caste' converts in the melange either.

Testing either of your parents would be fascinating, you have a very interesting background.

misanthropy
07-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Have you had either of your parents tested?

I doubt that specific West Asian heritage from one single ancestor from 700 years ago would show in your results. Alot of these family traditions exist in Muslim societies, but even with syeds who demonstrate written shajaras... I'm yet to see a genuine Arab y dna profile on this forum (taking on board the argument for whatever might be the true syed profile).

Totally take on board the background on your dad's side though.

More likely the euro is either part and parcel of the more recent Arab heritage from your father's side, or representative of your mother's UP heritage. That UP heritage could feasibly include a more cosmopolitan Muslim heritage, but one shouldn't exclude brahmin or 'higher caste' converts in the melange either.

Testing either of your parents would be fascinating, you have a very interesting background.
Haven't tested either and they don't trust these ancestry companies in general, so the idea of testing them would be far fetched for me. My brother, however, is interested and wants to get tested soon.

Maternally, both sides had origins in what covers the area of "West Asia" in 23andme around the 1100-1300s and there was a lot of intermarrying involved, so I guess that's how it even manages to show up as 1.7% "West Asia" on 23andme after so many generations.

I don't know if it makes any difference and I've never mentioned it, but I heard my dad's maternal side had the last name of Shaykh or Shiekh. Not sure if that's the same as in Punjabis or NW Indians, but it is another possibility for the Euro I guess.

Sapporo
07-10-2018, 11:03 PM
Based on my observations and seeing how some Euros from the Balkans score, I’ve positive that the SE Europe component is very Near Easterm shifted and even peaks in groups like Greeks and Albanians while also being high in Near Eastern populations. For misanthropy, it probably represents a Euro shifted West Asian/Near Eastern population.

Compared to the Eastern Euro, British Isles, Scandinavia or even West & Central Europe components, it’s quite distinct.

winsome
07-17-2018, 05:57 AM
myOrigins
Central / South Asia - 85%
West & Central Europe - 12%
South Central Asia - <2%
South America - <1%
South Central Africa - <1%

Ancient Origins
METAL AGE INVADER 57%
FARMER 22%
NON-EUROPEAN 15%
HUNTER-GATHERER 7%

I got a 3rd to 5th cousin as match on FTDNA ,
Shared cM - 40
Longest block - 23
X-Match

So where does it fit in the family tree and how close is sharing 40 cM's of DNA?

Censored
07-21-2018, 12:22 AM

MonkeyDLuffy
07-21-2018, 12:25 AM

I have noticed you've Middle east showing up in multiple testing companies but not in gedmatch calcs. Do you have your g25 coordinates? I can try to model you to find out if you've legit west asian ancestry.

Censored
07-21-2018, 12:32 AM
I have noticed you've Middle east showing up in multiple testing companies but not in gedmatch calcs. Do you have your g25 coordinates? I can try to model you to find out if you've legit west asian ancestry.

G25 coordinates? I'm not familiar with that. Is it a new thing? I took a break from the forum for a while. How do I get them?

MonkeyDLuffy
07-21-2018, 12:41 AM
G25 coordinates? I'm not familiar with that. Is it a new thing? I took a break from the forum for a while. How do I get them?

Check out the pinned thread, almost all users here got it. Basically it is the most accurate method right now since rather than certain SNPs, it compares the whole genome and places you on a plot. Contact David from eurogenes to get it. There is like $15 charge but it's worth imo. You can send it to me and poi and we will compare it to every ancient pop from South asia and nearby region to get accurate ancestry for you.

Censored
07-21-2018, 12:47 AM
Check out the pinned thread, almost all users here got it. Basically it is the most accurate method right now since rather than certain SNPs, it compares the whole genome and places you on a plot. Contact David from eurogenes to get it. There is like $15 charge but it's worth imo. You can send it to me and poi and we will compare it to every ancient pop from South asia and nearby region to get accurate ancestry for you.

Yes I just checked. I guess that was around the time I was less active. I will try to get one. Thanks so much brother.

bmoney
07-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Yes I just checked. I guess that was around the time I was less active. I will try to get one. Thanks so much brother.

Please bro, right now the SA results are NW heavy. We need to get an idea of the diversity of the South and the Gangetic plains too

Jatt1
08-03-2018, 05:48 PM

If you have a request for another company, let me know. I will make a sticky.

There are no sticky threads for MyHeritage and Livingdna.

My MyHeritage kit just been recieved by them, does anybody have any idea how long it takes to have the results back?

08-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Please bro, right now the SA results are NW heavy. We need to get an idea of the diversity of the South and the Gangetic plains too

That would be an understatement. It's all love though :D.

I'd like to see a little more diversity as well. Would really contextualize things more.

khanabadoshi
08-10-2018, 02:30 AM
There are no sticky threads for MyHeritage and Livingdna.

My MyHeritage kit just been recieved by them, does anybody have any idea how long it takes to have the results back?

I just made one for MyHeritageDNA and I'm looking for the old LivingDNA thread to sticky. If I don't find it, I'll just make a new one.

Dmitry
08-10-2018, 02:47 AM

In my opinion, Afghanistan doesn't really fit neatly into any category. I see it categorized as either Middle Eastern, South Asian, or Central Asian. Each of those labels does relate to Afghanistan somewhat, but none of them alone describe Afghanistan well.

Most Afghans I know define themselves as either Central Asian or Middle Eastern, but I have yet to hear an Afghan claim to be a South Asian (which I don't know why).

misanthropy
08-10-2018, 03:14 AM

How do we contact David? If I get it, could it help narrow down some of my outside of India ancestry? Also interested in the within India ancestry.

Censored
08-10-2018, 03:20 AM
In my opinion, Afghanistan doesn't really fit neatly into any category. I see it categorized as either Middle Eastern, South Asian, or Central Asian. Each of those labels does relate to Afghanistan somewhat, but none of them alone describe Afghanistan well.

Most Afghans I know define themselves as either Central Asian or Middle Eastern, but I have yet to hear an Afghan claim to be a South Asian (which I don't know why).

Most people, if they had to choose, would rather define themselves as Central Asian or Middle Eastern rather than South Asian. Afghans can call themselves west/central Asian because they are far enough outside of the South Asian sphere to be able to do so, but realistically I think a huge chunk of South Asians would also prefer to call themselves something else if they could get away with it.

If a Pakistani punjabi called himself anything other than South Asian then someone else would call them out on it. Not so for a Pashtun or Tajik.

MonkeyDLuffy
08-10-2018, 03:23 AM
How do we contact David? If I get it, could it help narrow down some of my outside of India ancestry? Also interested in the within India ancestry.

Of course, it works better than any admixture based calculator. Send email to eurogenesblog @ gmail .com. poi can add you on the list and you can run different ancient or modern pops combo to narrow down your ancestry.

bmoney
08-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Most people, if they had to choose, would rather define themselves as Central Asian or Middle Eastern rather than South Asian. Afghans can call themselves west/central Asian because they are far enough outside of the South Asian sphere to be able to do so, but realistically I think a huge chunk of South Asians would also prefer to call themselves something else if they could get away with it.

If a Pakistani punjabi called himself anything other than South Asian then someone else would call them out on it. Not so for a Pashtun or Tajik.

Don't project onto others bro :P

Censored
08-10-2018, 06:32 AM
Don't project onto others bro :P

I'm just projecting onto South Asians outside the Anthrogenica forum ;)

Saad2016
08-10-2018, 10:25 AM
I'm just projecting onto South Asians outside the Anthrogenica forum ;)

Half of south Asians have become greeks, iraqies and Syrians in this forum.;) the other half are ancient sycthians/aryans etc. !

Jatt1
08-13-2018, 07:26 PM
Half of south Asians have become greeks, iraqies and Syrians in this forum.;) the other half are ancient sycthians/aryans etc. !

What a south Asian supposed to be if I may ask you that, they don't all look alike, some are more steppe shifted, others more east Asians shifted, and then there are those who are mostly AASI, none claims to be Greek, Mongol or from Congo, do they?

Lollybolly
08-13-2018, 08:26 PM
I feel like the term "South Asian" has a negative stigma related to it. Most South Asians are stereotyped by the media as the Australoid Indians who are fat, dark-skinned, and have exaggerated features. South Asians are considered the "spare", those who are not attractive and who are taking over the world in terms of population. Given the huge amount of South Asian people there is, one may easily be lost in these stereotypes and this leads to the loss of one's own individuality.

If only we were given a chance to show our diversity, the world would understand that we come in all shapes and colours.

I had identity problems (and still have to a certain extent) regarding my South Asian ancestry. Most people who meet me ask me stereotypical questions ("Why is your skin so white then?", "Why don't you have a big nose then?") when I tell them I am South Asian (because, of course, I do not fit the stereotypical South Asian look so they are all surprised when I tell them which is not always funny). Guys, you know what: No, I don't speak English with a huge accent; no, I don't speak my ancestral language because I was never taught how to speak it. When I tell people that French is my native tongue, they don't seem to understand how a "South Asian" (because they continue to doubt my ancestry) could speak French... but guess what: it happens!

08-13-2018, 08:36 PM
I feel like the term "South Asian" has a negative stigma related to it. Most South Asians are stereotyped by the media as the Australoid Indians who are fat, dark-skinned, and have exaggerated features. South Asians are considered the "spare", those who are not attractive and who are taking over the world in terms of population. Given the huge amount of South Asian people there is, one may easily be lost in these stereotypes and this leads to the loss of one's own individuality.

If only we were given a chance to show our diversity, the world would understand that we come in all shapes and colours.

Obviously it's a bit anecdotal, but I don't identify with this either, for what it's worth.

That being said, I've seen calculators e.g. the geneplaza K14 where I have as more steppe/euro ancestry than AASI. Doesn't mean that I'm not proud to be Indian nationality wise, but there's something to be said for being proud of that culture AND also being proud of your heritage/genetic roots. A lot of us in here, many of whom have more than me, have significant steppe/central asia/east asia ties, which we shouldn't just write off.

I'll never tell someone that I'm not south asian, but south asian doesn't just entail AASI for example and sometimes when people are lumped into that (e.g. "oh but you don't look like _______ (super stereotypical south asian)"), you acknowledge (obviously) that you have ancestry from elsewhere that may cause you to look different than the stereotypical person that they are referring to. It's the same reason for example that Punjabis may not identify with Tamils in that way (i.e. north vs south indian), and to a degree the same reason why caste often divides people in terms of association.

08-13-2018, 11:47 PM
What a south Asian supposed to be if I may ask you that, they don't all look alike, some are more steppe shifted, others more east Asians shifted, and then there are those who are mostly AASI, none claims to be Greek, Mongol or from Congo, do they?

Honestly though Jatts do look more Greek than Australoid, if we're gonna use that qualifier. And for what it's worth, I've never heard most Indians in real life claim "I can pass as _____". Usually it's insecure ones who say stuff like that, or use their caste as a justification of how they look (which you often see with south indian brahmins, many of whom look no different than your average tamilian, whom many strongly resemble genentically). Jatts, northerners, and those who look phenotypically northwestern only have to refute south asian stereotypes because they sometimes look like they belong to a different continent from the steretoypical people that society referes to, if we're being honest.

Censored
08-14-2018, 12:07 AM

I had identity problems (and still have to a certain extent) regarding my South Asian ancestry. Most people who meet me ask me stereotypical questions ("Why is your skin so white then?", "Why don't you have a big nose then?") when I tell them I am South Asian (because, of course, I do not fit the stereotypical South Asian look so they are all surprised when I tell them which is not always funny). Guys, you know what: No, I don't speak English with a huge accent; no, I don't speak my ancestral language because I was never taught how to speak it. When I tell people that French is my native tongue, they don't seem to understand how a "South Asian" (because they continue to doubt my ancestry) could speak French... but guess what: it happens!

This here is the problem. People use skin color as an indicator for everything. Those who are informed about genetics and anthropology will always tell you that phenotype=/=genotype but this goes one step further in that not only are people using phenotype, they are using the worst possible measure of it. Skin tone is so prone to environmental and individual variation that it literally means nothing. Someone who is familiar with South Asians will be able to pick out facial similarities in people who look as different as Punjabis and Tamils and tell that they're both Indian. It's about bone structure, hair texture, etc.

I could spend a month in the Bahamas and come back looking like a Tamiil, yet people act like pigmentation is fixed or reliable. That's why you get absurdities like people claiming Deepika Padukone or other Bollywood actors "don't look Indian" or some people thinking that some South Indians are "black". And then you have people like me getting mistaken for Middle Eastern. Lol.

Censored
08-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Obviously it's a bit anecdotal, but I don't identify with this either, for what it's worth.

That being said, I've seen calculators e.g. the geneplaza K14 where I have as more steppe/euro ancestry than AASI. Doesn't mean that I'm not proud to be Indian nationality wise, but there's something to be said for being proud of that culture AND also being proud of your heritage/genetic roots. A lot of us in here, many of whom have more than me, have significant steppe/central asia/east asia ties, which we shouldn't just write off.

I'll never tell someone that I'm not south asian, but south asian doesn't just entail AASI for example and sometimes when people are lumped into that (e.g. "oh but you don't look like _______ (super stereotypical south asian)"), you acknowledge (obviously) that you have ancestry from elsewhere that may cause you to look different than the stereotypical person that they are referring to. It's the same reason for example that Punjabis may not identify with Tamils in that way (i.e. north vs south indian), and to a degree the same reason why caste often divides people in terms of association.

AASI is not the only ancestral component that's "Indian" although it is what makes us unique. Everything that came to India and mixed there aside from recent times(let's say the past ~1500 years) can and should be considered Indian in my opinion. That definitely includes Iranian neolithic and steppe. It would not include Turkic, Persian, or Arab ancestry.

08-14-2018, 12:16 AM
AASI is not the only ancestral component that's "Indian" although it is what makes us unique. Everything that came to India and mixed there aside from recent times(let's say the past ~1500 years) can and should be considered Indian in my opinion. That definitely includes Iranian neolithic and steppe. It would not include Turkic, Persian, or Arab ancestry.

Oh obviously. I only mentioned it to bring up a point. Obviously there are a lot of unique components but not everyone associates them with being "Indian". That's part of my point.

08-14-2018, 02:39 AM
This here is the problem. People use skin color as an indicator for everything. Those who are informed about genetics and anthropology will always tell you that phenotype=/=genotype but this goes one step further in that not only are people using phenotype, they are using the worst possible measure of it. Skin tone is so prone to environmental and individual variation that it literally means nothing. Someone who is familiar with South Asians will be able to pick out facial similarities in people who look as different as Punjabis and Tamils and tell that they're both Indian. It's about bone structure, hair texture, etc.

I could spend a month in the Bahamas and come back looking like a Tamiil, yet people act like pigmentation is fixed or reliable. That's why you get absurdities like people claiming Deepika Padukone or other Bollywood actors "don't look Indian" or some people thinking that some South Indians are "black". And then you have people like me getting mistaken for Middle Eastern. Lol.

I wouldn't say skin color "means nothing" either. Base shade of skin tone is as much genotypic as anything. People across india have different kinds of melanin/tan differently due to undertones.

I also wouldn't say that Punjabis and Tamils have similar facial features. That seems like a vast generalization. People can easily tell the difference between most Tamils and Punjabis. Indian is such a broad connotation which is more regional than genetic.

Censored
08-14-2018, 02:54 AM
I wouldn't say skin color "means nothing" either. Base shade of skin tone is as much genotypic as anything. People across india have different kinds of melanin/tan differently due to undertones.

I also wouldn't say that Punjabis and Tamils have similar facial features. That seems like a vast generalization. People can easily tell the difference between most Tamils and Punjabis. Indian is such a broad connotation which is more regional than genetic.

Well, skin color obviously has a genetic basis but the thing is that it varies a lot between individuals of the same ethnicity, and can vary in the individual as well based on climate/sun exposure. So I'm sort of exaggerating when I say "literally nothing" but it's still a poor metric to go by, generally.

I didn't say Tamils and Punjabis had the same facial features. What I was trying to get across is that someone who is familiar with South Asians can still tell that they're both Indian, so there's definitely something in common in terms of facial features in spite of the fact that the average skin tone in both groups is so different. That kind of negates the "dark=Indian, not dark=not Indian" idea that a lot of people have, which is the whole point of my comment.

MonkeyDLuffy
08-14-2018, 03:07 AM
Guys this thread is getting derailed to a different direction, let's discuss this in the dedicated thread. Mods can you please move the irrelevant to thread posts to Face thread?

khanabadoshi
08-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Guys this thread is getting derailed to a different direction, let's discuss this in the dedicated thread. Mods can you please move the irrelevant to thread posts to Face thread?

Gonna have to make you a mod LOL

MonkeyDLuffy
08-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Gonna have to make you a mod LOL

I don't have patience like you and reza lol.

misanthropy
08-29-2018, 10:37 PM
Based on my observations and seeing how some Euros from the Balkans score, I’ve positive that the SE Europe component is very Near Easterm shifted and even peaks in groups like Greeks and Albanians while also being high in Near Eastern populations. For misanthropy, it probably represents a Euro shifted West Asian/Near Eastern population.

Compared to the Eastern Euro, British Isles, Scandinavia or even West & Central Europe components, it’s quite distinct.

I'm noticing this across three calcs, it's very interesting.

FTDNA

DNA.Land (I read Levantines easily score med islander for this one)
https://i.imgur.com/renNf21.png

My genecove attachment of my results got deleted, although it was a shitty calc I clearly remember scoring Mediterranean islander (I believe Italy/Greece/Malta) for that too. Their site doesn't show any ancestry results anymore either when I log in, must've flopped.

My brother is awaiting his results too, definitely looking forward to them. Wish either parent was willing to get tested though.

poi
08-30-2018, 01:23 AM
I'm noticing this across three calcs, it's very interesting.

FTDNA

DNA.Land (I read Levantines easily score med islander for this one)
https://i.imgur.com/renNf21.png

My genecove attachment of my results got deleted, although it was a shitty calc I clearly remember scoring Mediterranean islander (I believe Italy/Greece/Malta) for that too. Their site doesn't show any ancestry results anymore either when I log in, must've flopped.

My brother is awaiting his results too, definitely looking forward to them. Wish either parent was willing to get tested though.

It took me 4 months of constant annoying asking until they cracked and agreed to it. Even got my inlaws to do that.

BMG
09-02-2018, 10:36 AM

spicyshuwa&empanadas
09-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Here are the results from my family. I did find some weird inconsistencies (where did the Turkish/Anatolian come from?)

Me

Father

Mother

Sister

Rustyshakelford
10-02-2018, 06:43 AM

Amber29
10-04-2018, 12:41 AM
96 CENTRAL ASIAN (dont understand why I never got south asian)
4 Percent British isles on both test. (Cant upload my 23andmeversion)

misanthropy
10-04-2018, 02:31 AM

Which company did you test with? And what version? It's weird I get SE Europe and none Asia Minor. I'm suspecting some East Med/Levant or North African signal is giving that for me. I wonder if it's legit or a flaw with 23andme V4, and if it's overstated or not.

Also, do you suspect any particular country area where your Middle Eastern admixture is from?

Rustyshakelford
10-04-2018, 05:05 AM
Which company did you test with? And what version? It's weird I get SE Europe and none Asia Minor. I'm suspecting some East Med/Levant or North African signal is giving that for me. I wonder if it's legit or a flaw with 23andme V4, and if it's overstated or not.

Also, do you suspect any particular country area where your Middle Eastern admixture is from?

I tested with FTDNA, not sure what version but I did it recently so probably the latest. I was thrown off by the SE Europe also. In my case I assumed it was just spillover of Asia minor since they’re close by. In your case not sure but I would guess it has something to do with levantine/ Mediterranean type admix. Also another malayalee on this forum has got 8% SE Europe and another one had 3%, So it may just be a quirk with the test.

In terms of which country my admix came from, it would be anyone’s guess. Official narrative in the community is that It was from some villages in southern Iraq near Basra, although this is based on legends and not any actual historical proof. Admix happened in the remote past so it’s hard to say I’m hoping to find some tool that can narrow it down a bit more.

Rahuls77
10-04-2018, 11:21 AM
96 CENTRAL ASIAN (dont understand why I never got south asian)
4 Percent British isles on both test. (Cant upload my 23andmeversion)

Pretty close to mine as well. 94% Central Asian, although FTDNA considers NW Subcontinent to be Central Asian for some silly reason.
I had 2% Asia Minor and 2% Beringian/American and then 2% British Isles.
Must be some funny Potohari thing.

Rahuls77
10-04-2018, 11:22 AM
I tested with FTDNA, not sure what version but I did it recently so probably the latest. I was thrown off by the SE Europe also. In my case I assumed it was just spillover of Asia minor since they’re close by. In your case not sure but I would guess it has something to do with levantine/ Mediterranean type admix. Also another malayalee on this forum has got 8% SE Europe and another one had 3%, So it may just be a quirk with the test.

In terms of which country my admix came from, it would be anyone’s guess. Official narrative in the community is that It was from some villages in southern Iraq near Basra, although this is based on legends and not any actual historical proof. Admix happened in the remote past so it’s hard to say I’m hoping to find some tool that can narrow it down a bit more.

Are you a Syrian Catholic, by heritage?
And what is your Y haplogroup? You may PM me.

Censored
10-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Pretty close to mine as well. 94% Central Asian, although FTDNA considers NW Subcontinent to be Central Asian for some silly reason.

I get 4% Anatolia minor while being South Indian. They overestimate it.

Censored
10-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Levantine or Assyrian mix seem like possibilities.

Amber29
10-04-2018, 01:22 PM

Haha yes possibly Potohari thing

Rustyshakelford
10-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Are you a Syrian Catholic, by heritage?
And what is your Y haplogroup? You may PM me.

Yes but I belong to a subgroup called Knanaya Catholics that claims seperate ethnic origins from other Syrian Christians. I haven’t tested Y-DNA yet but I’ll update when I do. Is Y-111 worth it or do you think Y-67 is enough?

Jatt1
10-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Yes but I belong to a subgroup called Knanaya Catholics that claims seperate ethnic origins from other Syrian Christians. I haven’t tested Y-DNA yet but I’ll update when I do. Is Y-111 worth it or do you think Y-67 is enough?

Do not waste your money on STRs, do a WGS test at Dante Labs https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?12075-Dante-Labs-(WGS).
or get one or more tests at https://anthrogenica.com/forumdisplay.php?183-YSEQ,

https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=56898&osCsid=a4cedbd372bcb26d533c9cc0017935be,

or https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=32&osCsid=a4cedbd372bcb26d533c9cc0017935be + haplogroup panel this test shows you belong to. This path will take a little longer but may be a little cheaper and also gives you 17 STRs.

Rahuls77
10-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Do not waste your money on STRs, do a WGS test at Dante Labs https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?12075-Dante-Labs-(WGS).
or get one or more tests at https://anthrogenica.com/forumdisplay.php?183-YSEQ,

https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=56898&osCsid=a4cedbd372bcb26d533c9cc0017935be,

or https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=32&osCsid=a4cedbd372bcb26d533c9cc0017935be + haplogroup panel you this test shows you belong to. This path will take a little longer but may be a little cheaper and also gives you 17 STRs.

I was about to say something similar. My Y-37 was disappointing, hardly any results and they are now advising me to go for Y-111!

Rahuls77
10-04-2018, 06:53 PM

Nope! Check what Jatt1 recommends.

misanthropy
10-04-2018, 07:09 PM

Could you post DNA.land results in its stickied thread as well? I want to see if you get Med Islander like my brother and I.

Also, I just realized that SE Europe could be siphoning off some of my 'Central Asian' component since mine is unusually low. Then again, my other mixtures could too.

Censored
10-05-2018, 12:13 AM
If you had G25 coordinates we could possibly try to figure out the source of that Mideastern ancestry.

Rustyshakelford
10-05-2018, 03:32 AM
Could you post DNA.land results in its stickied thread as well? I want to see if you get Med Islander like my brother and I.

Also, I just realized that SE Europe could be siphoning off some of my 'Central Asian' component since mine is unusually low. Then again, my other mixtures could too.

just uploaded it. I'll let you know when I get it back.

Rustyshakelford
10-05-2018, 04:06 AM
If you had G25 coordinates we could possibly try to figure out the source of that Mideastern ancestry.

,PC1,PC2,PC3,PC4,PC5,PC6,PC7,PC8,PC9,PC10,PC11,PC1 2,PC13,PC14,PC15,PC16,PC17,PC18,PC19,PC20,PC21,PC2 2,PC23,PC24,PC25
JosephN_scaled,0.053497,-0.036559,-0.147454,0.079781,-0.071706,0.052431,0.00094,0.007384,0.02802,0.01366 8,0.000162,-0.001798,0.001933,0.001514,0.001764,0.004773,0.002 738,0.002154,0.005279,-0.009379,0.004367,-0.004204,-0.001972,-0.005543,0.000359

,PC1,PC2,PC3,PC4,PC5,PC6,PC7,PC8,PC9,PC10,PC11,PC1 2,PC13,PC14,PC15,PC16,PC17,PC18,PC19,PC20,PC21,PC2 2,PC23,PC24,PC25
JosephN,0.0047,-0.0036,-0.0391,0.0247,-0.0233,0.0188,0.0004,0.0032,0.0137,0.0075,0.0001,-0.0012,0.0013,0.0011,0.0013,0.0036,0.0021,0.0017,0 .0042,-0.0075,0.0035,-0.0034,-0.0016,-0.0046,0.0003

[1] "distance%=2.0467"

JosephN_scaled

Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3,73.2
Barcin_N,10.8
Ganj_Dareh_N,9.8
Yamnaya_Samara,3
Han,1.8
WHG,1.4

bmoney already did some modeling with that showed some elevated west asian compared to other south indian users on here: 26465
I believe he did it at 15 percent exclusion and 1000x500 cycles.

I tried doing some comparison of mine with misanthropy: 2646726466
did it at 15 percent exclusion although im using the web version which only lets me do 200x120.

please correct me if i'm misinterpreting anything, i'm very new to this.

Censored
10-05-2018, 04:22 AM
JosephN_scaled,0.053497,-0.036559,-0.147454,0.079781,-0.071706,0.052431,0.00094,0.007384,0.02802,0.01366 8,0.000162,-0.001798,0.001933,0.001514,0.001764,0.004773,0.002 738,0.002154,0.005279,-0.009379,0.004367,-0.004204,-0.001972,-0.005543,0.000359

JosephN,0.0047,-0.0036,-0.0391,0.0247,-0.0233,0.0188,0.0004,0.0032,0.0137,0.0075,0.0001,-0.0012,0.0013,0.0011,0.0013,0.0036,0.0021,0.0017,0 .0042,-0.0075,0.0035,-0.0034,-0.0016,-0.0046,0.0003

[1] "distance%=2.0467"

JosephN_scaled

Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3,73.2
Barcin_N,10.8
Ganj_Dareh_N,9.8
Yamnaya_Samara,3
Han,1.8
WHG,1.4

bmoney already did some modeling with that showed some elevated west asian compared to other south indian users on here: 26465

did it at 15 percent exclusion although im using the web version which only lets me do 200x120.

Thanks. Tomorrow I will try to see which fertile crescent group you match best with.

tipirneni
10-05-2018, 04:53 AM

[1] "distance%=2.0467"

JosephN_scaled

Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3,73.2
Barcin_N,10.8
Ganj_Dareh_N,9.8
Yamnaya_Samara,3
Han,1.8
WHG,1.4

try myHeritage test. They have more people (Indians too) in the system that they match you with. You will get email with list of matches their names & age & place & exact chr/place/segment length of match

Rustyshakelford
10-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Here’s the DNA.land results:

I don’t show any med islander

Censored
10-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Hereís the DNA.land results:

I donít show any med islander

DNA.land is very hit or miss. There was a very slight change that 23andme made to my raw data and I ended up getting 1.1% NW European when I reuploaded it. I didn't get any before that. On all other calculators the change was practically nonexistent. Also my steppe actually appears to be higher than yours on nMonte and yet DNAland would have you believing it was the opposite.

Model Sample Details Fit Assyrian Brahmin Gujarat Irula Paniya Velamas
1 Assyrian +Brahmin_Gujarat +Irula +Paniya +Velamas Custom:AGUser_censored 1.2895 0 43.33 23.33 0 33.33
2 Assyrian +Brahmin_Gujarat +Irula +Paniya +Velamas Custom:JosephN_scaled 1.1941 12.5 25 7.5 0 55

Model Sample Details Fit Assyrian Paniya Saidu Sharif IA Shahr I Sokhta BA3
1 Assyrian +Paniya +Saidu_Sharif_IA +Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3 Custom:AGUser_censored 1.5185 2.5 22.5 43.33 31.67
2 Assyrian +Paniya +Saidu_Sharif_IA +Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3 Custom:JosephN_scaled 1.6421 16.67 13.33 24.17 45.83

If my sister did the same test she could easily end up with drastically different results compared to me, DNA.land is so random.

poi
10-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Here’s the DNA.land results:

I don’t show any med islander

Do you want your coordinates in the G25 web tool? It would be great to have a Malayali there, don't think we have one. If you do, then could you paste them?

Rustyshakelford
10-05-2018, 10:37 PM
Do you want your coordinates in the G25 web tool? It would be great to have a Malayali there, don't think we have one. If you do, then could you paste them?

Yeah sure go ahead I have the coordinates posted a few posts above. User Thomas48 has 3 more global25 coordinates for Knanaya samples that can be added and user traject and his family, who are Syrian Catholic are already on there.

Rustyshakelford
10-05-2018, 10:49 PM
DNA.land is very hit or miss. There was a very slight change that 23andme made to my raw data and I ended up getting 1.1% NW European when I reuploaded it. I didn't get any before that. On all other calculators the change was practically nonexistent. Also my steppe actually appears to be higher than yours on nMonte and yet DNAland would have you believing it was the opposite.

Model Sample Details Fit Assyrian Brahmin Gujarat Irula Paniya Velamas
1 Assyrian +Brahmin_Gujarat +Irula +Paniya +Velamas Custom:AGUser_censored 1.2895 0 43.33 23.33 0 33.33
2 Assyrian +Brahmin_Gujarat +Irula +Paniya +Velamas Custom:JosephN_scaled 1.1941 12.5 25 7.5 0 55

Model Sample Details Fit Assyrian Paniya Saidu Sharif IA Shahr I Sokhta BA3
1 Assyrian +Paniya +Saidu_Sharif_IA +Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3 Custom:AGUser_censored 1.5185 2.5 22.5 43.33 31.67
2 Assyrian +Paniya +Saidu_Sharif_IA +Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3 Custom:JosephN_scaled 1.6421 16.67 13.33 24.17 45.83

If my sister did the same test she could easily end up with drastically different results compared to me, DNA.land is so random.

Thanks! So does this mean that out of all the middle eastern reference groups available on nmonte the closest fit was Assyrian? Is 1.19 considered a relatively accurate fit?

And I would definitely trust nmonte over DNA.land cus I’ve consistently scored less steppe than other malayalees on multiple calculators and you get much higher Brahmin_Gujarat than me also.

Censored
10-06-2018, 01:31 AM
Thanks! So does this mean that out of all the middle eastern reference groups available on nmonte the closest fit was Assyrian? Is 1.19 considered a relatively accurate fit?

And I would definitely trust nmonte over DNA.land cus I’ve consistently scored less steppe than other malayalees on multiple calculators and you get much higher Brahmin_Gujarat than me also.

Yeah 1.19 is a pretty good fit. Your closest fit actually seems to be Iraqi Jew for some reason. I tried Assyrian, Lebanese, and Palestinian as well and they're not much different from each other.

pegasus
10-11-2018, 04:23 PM

[1] "distance%=2.0467"

JosephN_scaled

Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3,73.2
Barcin_N,10.8
Ganj_Dareh_N,9.8
Yamnaya_Samara,3
Han,1.8
WHG,1.4

I modelled you , your quite different from any South Indian sample or any South Asian sample actually I have seen you have around ,10-12% Assyrian/Northern Iraqi ancestry, which makes sense as the Aramaic used with St Thomas Christians is the Eastern variety. Are you from some priest class, the other member traject lacked that ancestry.

pegasus
10-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Yeah 1.19 is a pretty good fit. Your closest fit actually seems to be Iraqi Jew for some reason. I tried Assyrian, Lebanese, and Palestinian as well and they're not much different from each other.

The Iraqi Jew connection make sense as well, as some in that community migrate to the Malabar coast, mixed with locals who later became Christian in Antiquity.

Censored
10-11-2018, 05:48 PM
The Iraqi Jew connection make sense as well, as some in that community migrate to the Malabar coast, mixed with locals who later became Christian in Antiquity.

>Iraqi jews moving to India, mixing with locals, and then becoming Christians

And I thought I heard everything.

poi
10-11-2018, 08:15 PM

Iraqi Jews are proxies for native West Asians, right? Pre-European Christians in India would have been middle easterners who migrated/fled to India either from religious termoil or as missionaries. Either way, they would have absorbed local Indians through marriage and conversions. Makes perfect sense actually.

Edit - read Pegasus' post. It would indeed be crazy if actual West Asian Jews migrated, mixed with local Hindus and tribals and then converted to Christianity. May be the European influence was great enough that they shed their Jewish and Hindu/animist roots to become Christians.

I have read that Northeast India had something similar. Old Israelite tribes arrived, mixed with the northeast pops, and became Christians due to British influence. Later, after Israel was formed, many converted back to Judiasm and migrated to Israel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bnei_Menashe

Rustyshakelford
10-11-2018, 08:17 PM
I modelled you , your quite different from any South Indian sample or any South Asian sample actually I have seen you have around ,10-12% Assyrian/Northern Iraqi ancestry, which makes sense as the Aramaic used with St Thomas Christians is the Eastern variety. Are you from some priest class, the other member traject lacked that ancestry.

Me and traject are both kerala syrian catholics and are from nearby places in kerala actually, but i belong to a subgroup that maintains a tradition of foreign ancestry. we are religiously the same but we dont intermarry and have some different customs associated with childbirth, marriage, funerals, etc.

Rustyshakelford
10-11-2018, 08:31 PM

They were probably Christian before arriving. I think i've read somewhere that the early Christian communities of southern Iraq we're converts from Judaism whereas those in the north were ethnic Assyrians and arameans. I think southern iraq makes sense given that our folklore referances certain place names in that region. In fact they say that before embarking they prayed at the tomb of the prohpet ezra which is located in Maysan province of iraq. Folklore also says they embarked on ships from "Uz" which some historian in the community believe was an older name for the place known as Beth Huzzaye (present day Khuzistan).

poi
10-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Me and traject are both kerala syrian catholics and are from nearby in kerala actually, but i belong to a subgroup that maintains a tradition of foreign ancestry. we are religiously the same but we dont intermarry and have some different customs associated with childbirth, marriage, funerals, etc.

Question -- I know very little about the history of Indian Christians, but it sounds like many have Europeanized names. Middle Eastern names for ancient Christians would have been Yakub instead of Joseph, Yohan instead of John, etc. right? Did they "anglicize" after the British/Portuguese?

Censored
10-11-2018, 08:50 PM
Question -- I know very little about the history of Indian Christians, but it sounds like many have Europeanized names. Middle Eastern names for ancient Christians would have been Yakub instead of Joseph, Yohan instead of John, etc. right? Did they "anglicize" after the British/Portuguese?

Yakub/Yakob means Jacob. Yusuf/Yossef means Joseph.

Rustyshakelford
10-11-2018, 08:59 PM

yeah anglicanized names are really recent, maybe just a generation or two ago. we actually had our own "malayalamized" names which are so corrupted from the originals that its hard to tell which name they signify. an example would be the name jacob which is the commonly used anglicanized version of the name Yakob. so at church we still say "Yakob sleeha" when referring to St. Jacob, but you wont find anyone actually named Yakob, instead people from my grandparents generation would have the name "chacko" which is the malayalam verision of Yakob/jacob.

These are some other malayalam versions that are seldom used today:

Chandy=Alexander
Chummar= Simon (simeon--->chimeon--->chummar)
Mathai, Mathoo, Mathan=Mathew
Ouseph, Ouda, Youseff= Joseph
Itty, Ittack=isaac
Yohanan, Ulahanan, Onachan, Lonan=John
Patrose=Peter
Pawlose, Pilley=Paul
Thoma, Thommi, Thomman=Thomas

The middle easter names are usually used at church (Yakob, Yohannan, Simeon) but people will usually be named using the malayalam version (chacko, onan, chummar) etc.

Most of these names have fallen out of favor and most people starting with my parents generation (1950s/1960s) have secular names that dont reveal caste/regiouse affiliation.

Censored
10-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Iraqi Jews are proxies for native West Asians, right? Pre-European Christians in India would have been middle easterners who migrated/fled to India either from religious termoil or as missionaries. Either way, they would have absorbed local Indians through marriage and conversions. Makes perfect sense actually.

Edit - read Pegasus' post. It would indeed be crazy if actual West Asian Jews migrated, mixed with local Hindus and tribals and then converted to Christianity. May be the European influence was great enough that they shed their Jewish and Hindu/animist roots to become Christians.

I have read that Northeast India had something similar. Old Israelite tribes arrived, mixed with the northeast pops, and became Christians due to British influence. Later, after Israel was formed, many converted back to Judiasm and migrated to Israel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bnei_Menashe

Yes-but you can't really generalize West Asia like that. Genetically speaking each adjacent region within west Asia is a bit different to each other. Assyrians and Mandaeans could be considered proxies for the native Mesopotamian population. From what I've read, the Iraqi Jews are similar to them except they have a Levantine shift which makes perfect sense, considering the Jews came from the Levant, lol. Basically the history of the Iraqi Jews is similar to many other Jewry where there is a Levantine substrate combined with distinct local genetics.

Maybe Pegasus knows more...

poi
10-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Yes-but you can't really generalize West Asia like that. Genetically speaking each adjacent region within west Asia is a bit different to each other. Assyrians and Mandaeans could be considered proxies for the native Mesopotamian population. From what I've read, the Iraqi Jews are similar to them except they have a Levantine shift which makes perfect sense, considering the Jews came from the Levant, lol. Basically the history of the Iraqi Jews is similar to many other Jewry where there is a Levantine substrate combined with distinct local genetics.

Maybe Pegasus knows more...

True, but from the South Asian context, when trying to check West Asian ancestry, for example, in old-school Christians from India, using Iraqi Jews or other West Asians would be similar. Basically, these West Eurasian populations are so similar to each other, relative to South Asians, that determining "foreign" ancestry is pretty easy using whichever group as proxy. Similar to using Finn or Norwegian as a proxy to get Steppe. Sure, Finns are a different linguistic group than Norwegians, but genetically, they and Norwegians are relatively close enough to use either as a modern proxy for South Asian steppe.

Slap me down if I'm off. Open to being corrected. :biggrin1:

Censored
10-11-2018, 09:23 PM
True, but from the South Asian context, when trying to check West Asian ancestry, for example, in old-school Christians from India, using Iraqi Jews or other West Asians would be similar. Basically, these West Eurasian populations are so similar to each other, relative to South Asians, that determining "foreign" ancestry is pretty easy using whichever group as proxy. Similar to using Finn or Norwegian as a proxy to get Steppe. Sure, Finns are a different linguistic group than Norwegians, but genetically, they and Norwegians are relatively close enough to use either as a modern proxy for South Asian steppe.

Yeah that's pretty much true. I was looking at it from the perspective of trying to figure out which west Asian group the admixture is from, although it may require more than nMonte to totally know for sure. There's a lot more genetic diversity in South Asia than Mideast definitely:
The genetic differences considered major there would be minor by SA standards.

pegasus
10-11-2018, 09:27 PM
Me and traject are both kerala syrian catholics and are from nearby places in kerala actually, but i belong to a subgroup that maintains a tradition of foreign ancestry. we are religiously the same but we dont intermarry and have some different customs associated with childbirth, marriage, funerals, etc.

Its obvious from that Nmonte , also completely different from other Indian Christians who are largely recent converts and are Protestant or Roman Catholic type, the Rumi/Syriac Orthodox Christians in Kerala are definitely earliest Christians from Antiquity comparable with Copts.

misanthropy
10-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Edit: wrong thread

bmoney
10-12-2018, 03:08 AM
Its obvious from that Nmonte , also completely different from other Indian Christians who are largely recent converts and are Protestant or Roman Catholic type, the Rumi/Syriac Orthodox Christians in Kerala are definitely earliest Christians from Antiquity comparable with Copts.

Traject scores about a 1/5 to 1/4 of the West Asian Rustyshakleford scores and I dont score any at all, so its possibly that the lack of endogamy among the non-Knanaya could have diluted their founding settler ancestry

Rustyshakelford
10-12-2018, 05:35 AM
Traject scores about a 1/5 to 1/4 of the West Asian Rustyshakleford scores and I dont score any at all, so its possibly that the lack of endogamy among the non-Knanaya could have diluted their founding settler ancestry

Trajects sister would be a better example since she shows a more significant west asian signal. But i doubt this trend exists for all non-knanaya Syrians since they are a much larger group spread throughout Kerala and have origins from almost every section of society. Just looking at some of the Gedmatch kits the non-knanaya kits vary greatly in their Harappa scores with some being very ASI shifted while others have elevated caucasian+SW asian indicating admixture but to a lesser degree than the knanaya kits.
it would be nice to get some G25s of syrians from south kerala as these areas never had a knanaya presence and so theirs no chance of diffusion from us.

pegasus
10-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Actually thats true , Plateau Iranians to Levantines are quite similar, their populations have been largely stable since the early Bronze Age. BMAC populations are different while they are mainly derived from Iran_N and 10-20% Barcin , but they have WSHG + minor AASI but , a good chunk of them can be modeled with 20% SIS3/Gonur2 and the ones south of the BMAC likely had more IVC admixture.
In fact "Gonur Girl" one of the reconstructions is very likely an IVC migrant or descended from one. Its also the only IVC facial reconstruction come to think of it.

http://www.sankofaarchives.com/Ancestors_pdf/Woman%20Veddoid%20Gonur%20Depe%20necropolis.pdf

Censored
10-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Actually thats true , Plateau Iranians to Levantines are quite similar, their populations have been largely stable since the early Bronze Age. BMAC populations are different while they are mainly derived from Iran_N and 10-20% Barcin , but they have WSHG + minor AASI but , a good chunk of them can be modeled with 20% SIS3/Gonur2 and the ones south of the BMAC likely had more IVC admixture.
In fact "Gonur Girl" one of the reconstructions is very likely an IVC migrant or descended from one. Its also the only IVC facial reconstruction come to think of it.

http://www.sankofaarchives.com/Ancestors_pdf/Woman%20Veddoid%20Gonur%20Depe%20necropolis.pdf

It looks negroid?

khanabadoshi
10-13-2018, 09:05 AM

You are totally correct. All he needs to make the nMonte fit good is to be a certain % pulled away from South Asia towards West Asia, which any of the W Asian populations can supply. We can narrow down that he doesn't need a pull towards SSA as well, so that will exclude some W Asian populations. At that distance, many populations are a good choice, and then you need to use history and common sense to figure out which is most likely.

For example my cousin is half British; if we nMonte her, it will be difficult to figure out anything -- so let's say we nMonte'd one of her kids, who are now 25% British. So they will definitely plot near and along the South Asian spectrum but pulled towards Europe... however which group in Europe will not be clear at all... because at that distance most of Europe will be a good proxy for the % pull they need away from the main SA cline. Even if you could figure out the pull was towards the UK (which is just not likely... but even...) then how would you figure out it's specifically towards the Welsh, Irish, English, Scottish, etc? This is actually a more fitting comparison for what we are doing with these results... we can figure out Levant probably... but which group from this region is orders of magnitude harder. The way to make it easier, is make as much of the equation "known" as possible. ie. for my cousin, I would not use general Pakistani populations as one part of the nMonte... I'd use an average of specific members of my family. So, Khandaan + _________ and let nMonte solve...the more specific you are on one side of the equation, the more specific outputs you will get. If the goal is solve for X, then it doesn't matter what the mix of my khandaan (specifically the part she shares) is, we aren't solving for that... we are solving for the mix away from my family.

However, I've been able to figure out specific countries before by seeing pull on 3 dimensions and across various admixture calculators. f.ex. there is a user on here who is Iranian, I was noting on several plots that there was consistent pull towards what was most likely Egyptian to me, so I told him that, and it turns out his great grandparent was Egyptian. Now, this was still a guess, and there was lots of deduction involved just to reach an opinion that there is a chance he may have some Egyptian ancestors. It was even more unsure because there was no reason to assume he had some outside lineage because he still fit well in the Iranian cline -- I was just noticing slight deviations.

So in the case we have here, we start with the known history and test it. W Asian Jewish is a good proxy, Assyrians, Syrians; etc. Try modeling with just local populations and see if a fit becomes bad. Try modeling with all SA populations, see if the fit is bad. Eventually the idea is to get to the point where you form the model of just local populace + specific distant external source and the fits are notably superior to local populace + regional sources. So basically, we need to model the Kerala Syrian Christians as solely: non-Christian Malayali + _______ and then look at the patterns for deduction. Censored's model is basically breaking down the Malayali part into regional stand-ins. This complicates the matter when trying to figure out what X is. They are all going to be Malayali + something or nothing... so to get the most accurate estimation of what that something/nothing is, we start with the most accurate known, a Malayali average, or the closest thing to it (which covers the majority of their SA ancestry in the correct proportions), and attempt to solve for X. The first thing to try is Malayali + Assyrian. This is the same logic I would apply to a Parsi; Gujarati + Zoroastrian.

Now we don't have a Malayali average on G25, I don't think, but we made some for Gedmatch, so one can use that to deduce things. Though the majority of those were Christians, so I suppose to be safe, just use the Muslim and Hindu scores.

pegasus
10-13-2018, 11:51 AM
It looks negroid?

NO she does not, while her nose maybe a bit exaggerated she looks like Indian women I have seen, in particular those who hail from Hyderabad, but I am sure she would fit in most places in India .

BMG
10-13-2018, 12:59 PM

The anglicisation is recent and I think it started happening during grandparent's time probably due to British influence . My paternal great grandfather's name was Yohannan but my in grandfather's name it was changed to John . Similarly my maternal great grandfather's name was Mathai which got changed to Mathew .
As rusty said many of our generation have generic indian names or meaningless like Bijo,Sijo,Binu,Jinu etc instead of biblical names .Some have even non biblical european names like Richard ,William ,Eric ,Alan etc .

BMG
10-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Trajects sister would be a better example since she shows a more significant west asian signal. But i doubt this trend exists for all non-knanaya Syrians since they are a much larger group spread throughout Kerala and have origins from almost every section of society. Just looking at some of the Gedmatch kits the non-knanaya kits vary greatly in their Harappa scores with some being very ASI shifted while others have elevated caucasian+SW asian indicating admixture but to a lesser degree than the knanaya kits.
it would be nice to get some G25s of syrians from south kerala as these areas never had a knanaya presence and so theirs no chance of diffusion from us.

Traject like me seems to be less west Asian shifted than the average at least going by various gedmatch calculators. I would be even less west Asian shifted than traject . Even though there are many gedmatch kits for most kits I don't know the exact origins . But with the few I know the trend seems to be south Kerala Syrians seems to be more SI shifted and less west Asian shifted compared to central Kerala Syrians . But we would need more robust data to be sure .

Rustyshakelford
10-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Traject like me seems to be less west Asian shifted than the average at least going by various gedmatch calculators. I would be even less west Asian shifted than traject . Even though there are many gedmatch kits for most kits I don't know the exact origins . But with the few I know the trend seems to be south Kerala Syrians seems to be more SI shifted and less west Asian shifted compared to central Kerala Syrians . But we would need more robust data to be sure .

Do you think it has to do with differences in conversion policies between different churches? There is a geographical pattern to denominational affiliation afterall, as it gets more catholic as you move north and more orthodox/Jacobite/marthomite ad you move south. Do you think the latter groups may have been more open to conversion? I know the marthomite Church was very progressive in this regard given the Protestant influence. or maybe the constant infighting between orthodox/Jacobite/marthomite could have motivated them to get more members in order to gain some power over each other?

BMG
10-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Do you think it has to do with differences in conversion policies between different churches? There is a geographical pattern to denominational affiliation afterall, as it gets more catholic as you move north and more orthodox/Jacobite/marthomite ad you move south. Do you think the latter groups may have been more open to conversion? I know the marthomite Church was very progressive in this regard given the Protestant influence. or maybe the constant infighting between orthodox/Jacobite/marthomite could have motivated them to get more members in order to gain some power over each other?
Those events are too recent .I don't think it would affect as we would actually be knowing recent events .

Amber29
01-27-2019, 03:35 PM
Has anyone taken the MTdna test on here? is it worth taking one, and if you have taken it what did you find?

Also which FTDNA test for the Male line should I take? where i can get matches with secure results or one that applies or good results for asians? (apart from YSEQ which is processing)

Jatt1
01-27-2019, 07:43 PM
Has anyone taken the MTdna test on here? is it worth taking one, and if you have taken it what did you find?

Also which FTDNA test for the Male line should I take? where i can get matches with secure results or one that applies or good results for asians? (apart from YSEQ which is processing)

Take a cheap WGS test one like the POI took. It will give you everything including your aDNA mtDNA and mtDNA be complete with all the extra mutations. Aslo you can run the whole thing through some program to see if you need to take extra care health wise in certain areas.

Amber29
01-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Take a cheap WGS test one like the POI took. It will give you everything including your aDNA mtDNA and mtDNA be complete with all the extra mutations. Aslo you can run the whole thing through some program to see if you need to take extra care health wise in certain areas.

does this give matches too?

Jatt1
01-27-2019, 08:35 PM
does this give matches too?

No, it is simple complete sequencing of your dna, but you can donate your mtDNA to bank and also find your present and future mtDNA matches there. Someone should be able to extract from that all kinds of SNPs in V3,V4 and V5 kits and then able to load them to gedmatch, myheritage etc. to get matches.

Amber29
01-27-2019, 08:52 PM
No, it is simple complete sequencing of your dna, but you can donate your mtDNA to bank and also find your present and future mtDNA matches there. Someone should be able to extract from that all kinds of SNPs in V3,V4 and V5 kits and then able to load them to gedmatch, myheritage etc. to get matches.

which bank is this? because i only know a limited stuff when it comes to haplogroup testing, there so much going on in my head and i dont know what to products to choose, and do next, which goes well with what i can afford too...

Jatt1
01-28-2019, 05:54 AM
which bank is this? because i only know a limited stuff when it comes to haplogroup testing, there so much going on in my head and i dont know what to products to choose, and do next, which goes well with what i can afford too...

Maybe someone else can guide you in that but there are many of them I guess, like Genbank etc.

misanthropy
01-28-2019, 06:27 PM
misanthropy_brother (V5)

He gets 6% Asia Minor while I (V4) get 7% Southeast Europe, so it must be a similar component.

https://i.imgur.com/FflTHp8.png

tipirneni
01-28-2019, 10:15 PM

Your MyHeritage kit shows up in my myHeritage kit under genesis
MJ1661095 A *Amber R000000 7.7 7.7 7.4 303569 2018-12-10 MyHeritage

However when I do 1-on-1 match at 100SNP/1cM I get following

Largest segment = 8.4 cM
Total Half-Match segments (HIR) = 820.1 cM (22.868 Pct)
539 shared segments found for this comparison.
615870 SNPs used for this comparison.
54.680 Pct SNPs are full identical

From our area in the South India there are big matches to PAK GUJAR , Burusho samples & Balouch samples. Khana shows up as a match in our of the guy from the area.

It might be due to the Pallava & Hun influence among Kamma Caste in Andhra

aaronbee2010
01-28-2019, 10:18 PM

duplicate post

Thank you for posting her full name and email address for the world to see

tipirneni
01-28-2019, 10:21 PM
Thank you for posting her full name and email address for the world to see :)

it was already in the GED match id she posted

aaronbee2010
01-28-2019, 10:23 PM
it was already in the GED match id she posted

She shouldn't be posting her full information like that and neither should you. Just because she does it doesn't mean you should.

EDIT: By full information I mean she shouldn't publicly post her GEDmatch ID like that.

EDIT 2: Never mind. Thanks for correcting :)

tipirneni
01-28-2019, 10:26 PM
She shouldn't be posting her full information like that and neither should you. Just because she does it doesn't mean you should.

I removed the email id. I never post GED ids. if they match people then they should get it, otherwise it is of no use thats how I see it. we can use calculator results to discuss other Anthro issues unless it doesnt cover 1-2-1.

aaronbee2010
01-28-2019, 10:28 PM
I removed the email id. I never post GED ids. if they match people then they should get it, otherwise it is of no use thats how I see it. we can use calculator results to discuss other Anthro issues unless it doesnt cover 1-2-1.

It's fine if you use a matches ID for your own use, its just the posting of it for everyone to see I disagree with. For example, if you and x have a close mutual match on GEDmatch, it would probably be a better idea to send a PM to x with the ID.

Amber29
01-28-2019, 10:36 PM

Largest segment = 8.4 cM

From our area in the South India there are big matches to PAK GUJAR , Burusho samples & Balouch samples. Khana shows up as a match in our of the guy from the area.

Does it match all the kits? Try my fathers kit too please haha it'll be there!

Amber29
01-28-2019, 10:40 PM

EDIT: By full information I mean she shouldn't publicly post her GEDmatch ID like that.

EDIT 2: Never mind. Thanks for correcting :)

i appreciate what you did there - lol but i did it because sometimes, there are Gedmatch i match that are not in the list and match my kits.

aaronbee2010
01-28-2019, 10:41 PM
i appreciate what you did there - lol but i did it because sometimes, there are Gedmatch i match that are not in the list and match my kits.

Its up to you my b o i

Amber29
01-28-2019, 10:42 PM
Its up to you my b o i

thanks g! (and i never say that LOL)

aaronbee2010
01-28-2019, 10:44 PM
thanks g! (and i never say that LOL)

Not a lot of G's in Leicester I see D:

I would say come to Birmingham, but its not much better here lol

tipirneni
01-28-2019, 10:44 PM
Does it match all the kits? Try my fathers kit too please haha it'll be there!

Match with Hafiz, 100SNP/1cM on myHeritage

Largest segment = 5.6 cM
Total Half-Match segments (HIR) = 611.7 cM (17.056 Pct)
375 shared segments found for this comparison.
425496 SNPs used for this comparison.
51.493 Pct SNPs are full identical

on Ancestry
Largest segment = 4.5 cM

Total Half-Match segments (HIR) = 637.7 cM (17.782 Pct)
420 shared segments found for this comparison.
502899 SNPs used for this comparison.
52.323 Pct SNPs are full identical

There are no big segments like on yours probably due to less SNP in Ancestry file compared to FTDNA & MyHerit

Amber29
01-28-2019, 10:48 PM

birmingham is my second home im always there LOOL! i know so many people there even though it a junkyard :p

Amber29
01-28-2019, 10:49 PM
Match with Hafiz, 100SNP/1cM on myHeritage

Largest segment = 5.6 cM
Total Half-Match segments (HIR) = 611.7 cM (17.056 Pct)
375 shared segments found for this comparison.
425496 SNPs used for this comparison.
51.493 Pct SNPs are full identical

on Ancestry
Largest segment = 4.5 cM

Total Half-Match segments (HIR) = 637.7 cM (17.782 Pct)
420 shared segments found for this comparison.
502899 SNPs used for this comparison.
52.323 Pct SNPs are full identical

There are no big segments like on yours probably due to less SNP in Ancestry file compared to FTDNA & MyHerit

This is interesting, Ill inbox you want to keep the thread clean lol.

bmoney
01-28-2019, 11:01 PM

burrrming haam*

aaronbee2010
01-28-2019, 11:14 PM
burrrming haam*

O I

L A D

bmoney
01-28-2019, 11:29 PM

Largest segment = 8.4 cM

Pak Gujjar and Baloch are due to old Iran N which is high in the Kamma/Velama. I like to call it Dravidian farmer

Its very very unlikely to be more recent than than 2k years old

Amber29
01-28-2019, 11:34 PM
Pak Gujjar and Baloch are due to old Iran N which is high in the Kamma/Velama. I like to call it Dravidian farmer

That makes alot of sense now. I was thinking what was the connection but im so amazed!

tipirneni
01-28-2019, 11:56 PM

The one velama sample matched with Indian Gujjar ones, where the Kamma ones match with the Pak Gujjar ones. Some velma mixed Brahmin samples also match Indian gujjar samples. There also Uyghur & Burusho come up.

There might be some older than 2k samples but there is strong Pallava presence in Guntur area where Kamma & Velama armies where based in during Satavahana times, there are also records of early Chalukya defeating Pallava before both forming kingdoms after the Satavahana/Ikshvaku rule. In Madhya Pradesh many of these people were called simply as Saka during Andhra/Saka wars. The Pallavas were later assimilated into Chola armies who were basically Kamma army under maternal descent & other Tamilian groups local to Kanchi.

According to Dr Jouveau Dubreuil, Savisakha, a Pahlava minister of Rudradaman-I, was the ancestor of the Pallavas of Kanchi. From Anarta and Konkan, the Pahlavas had penetrated southern India via Kuntala or Banvasi. It is probable that the Pahlavas had penetrated Deccan before the reign of Gautamiputra Satkarni. Gautamiputra Satkarni is stated to have put to sword the Sakas, Yavanas, Pahlavas and the Kshahratas. The defeat of Pahlavas, Kambojas etc by Gautamiputra Satakarani had probably forced them to move further into the Deccan. The Pahlavas and Kambojas appear to have made inroads into western and south-western India and the Pahlavas subsequently settled at North Tamil nadu and on east coast of India. When the Satavahana fortunes sagged, these Pahlavas seized the opportunity and established themselves as the lords of Kanchi.

bmoney
01-29-2019, 01:07 AM
The one velama sample matched with Indian Gujjar ones, where the Kamma ones match with the Pak Gujjar ones. Some velma mixed Brahmin samples also match Indian gujjar samples. There also Uyghur & Burusho come up.

There might be some older than 2k samples but there is strong Pallava presence in Guntur area where Kamma & Velama armies where based in during Satavahana times, there are also records of early Chalukya defeating Pallava before both forming kingdoms after the Satavahana/Ikshvaku rule. In Madhya Pradesh many of these people were called simply as Saka during Andhra/Saka wars. The Pallavas were later assimilated into Chola armies who were basically Kamma army under maternal descent & other Tamilian groups local to Kanchi.

According to Dr Jouveau Dubreuil, Savisakha, a Pahlava minister of Rudradaman-I, was the ancestor of the Pallavas of Kanchi. From Anarta and Konkan, the Pahlavas had penetrated southern India via Kuntala or Banvasi. It is probable that the Pahlavas had penetrated Deccan before the reign of Gautamiputra Satkarni. Gautamiputra Satkarni is stated to have put to sword the Sakas, Yavanas, Pahlavas and the Kshahratas. The defeat of Pahlavas, Kambojas etc by Gautamiputra Satakarani had probably forced them to move further into the Deccan. The Pahlavas and Kambojas appear to have made inroads into western and south-western India and the Pahlavas subsequently settled at North Tamil nadu and on east coast of India. When the Satavahana fortunes sagged, these Pahlavas seized the opportunity and established themselves as the lords of Kanchi.

Sure not ruling out more recent migrations, but that should have also brought steppe adna proportionate to the Iran_N as seen in North Indian populations (ex Gedrosians)

Kammas/Reddys have little to no steppe ancestry

tipirneni
01-29-2019, 05:05 AM
Sure not ruling out more recent migrations, but that should have also brought steppe adna proportionate to the Iran_N as seen in North Indian populations (ex Gedrosians)

Kammas/Reddys have little to no steppe ancestry

Many of the current populations also lack higher steppe. Other than populations routinely mixing with Steppe high north Brahmins on regular basis while maintaining endogamy or other like Jat who have some outside steppe high population mixing on regular basis many regular castes don't have the high steppe.

MonkeyDLuffy
01-29-2019, 08:16 AM
Many of the current populations also lack higher steppe. Other than populations routinely mixing with Steppe high north Brahmins on regular basis while maintaining endogamy or other like Jat who have some outside steppe high population mixing on regular basis many regular castes don't have the high steppe.

Please provide reference for that. I don't believe they've regularly mixed with high steppe population. The steppe is most likely from same or two populations, and has been preserved for long time, at least that's what DMXX observed and nmonte shows.

tipirneni
01-29-2019, 02:32 PM
Please provide reference for that. I don't believe they've regularly mixed with high steppe population. The steppe is most likely from same or two populations, and has been preserved for long time, at least that's what DMXX observed and nmonte shows.

Those are theories that experts like DMXX are still refining based on observations. nMonte is just an aid after you exhaust all other direct methods

to see what there is check how L haplogroup mix with agriculturalists & newcomers to form new caste

How even after 1500 years due to high Endogamy the early mix is still preserved.

tipirneni
01-29-2019, 02:44 PM

Similarly in your case, it is copper hoard culture that had Swat & MLBA folks taking the metallurgy of the tribals & mixing with them to populate newer areas

agent_lime
01-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Those are theories that experts like DMXX are still refining based on observations. nMonte is just an aid after you exhaust all other direct methods

to see what there is check how L haplogroup mix with agriculturalists & newcomers to form new caste

How even after 1500 years due to high Endogamy the early mix is still preserved.

They are just a different branch of Indo Aryans. The last admixture event is probably still 2000 years ago. I don't know what direct Steppe populations have been coming into India without getting recorded.

Amber29
01-29-2019, 06:01 PM
I want to convert my fathers Ancestry data into FTDNA so i can upload it? i think one of the website has been taken down and the xcode life one just full of crap -doesnt anyone else know what I can do here or another link they know?

tipirneni
01-30-2019, 03:28 AM
They are just a different branch of Indo Aryans. The last admixture event is probably still 2000 years ago. I don't know what direct Steppe populations have been coming into India without getting recorded.

do you keep record of people entering your area for more than 2000 years ?

agent_lime
01-30-2019, 05:53 AM
do you keep record of people entering your area for more than 2000 years ?

Poi posted their last mixing date. I think it was called ALDER analysis.

Amber29
01-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Edit Price list and other info:

aaronbee2010
01-30-2019, 01:01 PM

Wonder if the extra Y-STR's are byproduct of a new sequencing process with more coverage. This would mean more new SNP's discovered.

Considering the pricing is the same, this is definitely more competitive against FGC Y Elite.

Amber29
01-30-2019, 01:44 PM
Wonder if the extra Y-STR's are byproduct of a new sequencing process with more coverage. This would mean more new SNP's discovered.

Considering the pricing is the same, this is definitely more competitive against FGC Y Elite.

I just realised this thought id share incase someone didnt know about it -

and i think the same too that if it is providing more coverage? you will know you will know you are the expert here :D

il post the price here too.

MonkeyDLuffy
01-30-2019, 03:55 PM
I just realised this thought id share incase someone didnt know about it -

and i think the same too that if it is providing more coverage? you will know you will know you are the expert here :D

il post the price here too.

Now Yseq seems like such a nice option to me.

aaronbee2010
01-30-2019, 04:11 PM
Now Yseq seems like such a nice option to me.

YSEQ and Dante Labs need to do a Y-DNA sequencing service.

A Dante Labs representative said they'll consider after I messaged them on Facebook but I don't think they really will :(

bmoney
01-30-2019, 11:27 PM
YSEQ and Dante Labs need to do a Y-DNA sequencing service.

A Dante Labs representative said they'll consider after I messaged them on Facebook but I don't think they really will :(

Hypothetically If i were to get deep Y testing done, what would be the most cost effective?

aaronbee2010
01-30-2019, 11:51 PM
Hypothetically If i were to get deep Y testing done, what would be the most cost effective?

Big Y-700 from FTDNA was just announced. They state improved coverage in terms of Y-STR's but don't give a metric for how much SNP discovery's improved.

I would say if they can grab 700 Y-STR's then their Y-SNP discovery rate is similar to that of FGC's. FGC is a lot cheaper at only $430 including shipping if you use the code fgca18 compared to $658.95 for FTDNA including shipping, however FTDNA analyses your data for new SNP's and adds you to their database of closest matches for free, whereas FGC will charge you $50 for SNP discovery + database addition (but they can add you to their database with this service even if you test with FTDNA). Besides, you might want to also get YFulls service for $49 instead of FGC's. They discover SNP's and add you to their fancy tree (as well as database matches). Bear in mind FTDNA have offers from time to time!

Overall, I would say FGC works out to be cheaper, but while FTDNA's South Asian userbase isn't great, it is the best out there. I would just get the FGC service + YFull and possibly FTDNA STR's when they're on offer but getting a Big-Y700 when it's on offer isn't a bad idea too :)

I can't recommend any other company at this time.

Jatt1
01-31-2019, 06:26 AM

Edit Price list and other info:

Fullgenome.com and Dentelabs be better and may even be cheaper.

aaronbee2010
01-31-2019, 12:58 PM
Fullgenome.com and Dentelabs be better and may even be cheaper.

For Y-DNA sequencing, fullgenome.com is my current recommendation.

Dante Labs are best for cost-effective WGS in my opinion.

MonkeyDLuffy
01-31-2019, 07:29 PM

Rather than spending $700 on this, dante labs WGS would give you this and way more.

Jatt1
01-31-2019, 07:49 PM

Fullgenomes Y Elite at $450. should be very good, but DanteLabs WGS would be better but you will need someone to extract yDNA information from that for you, in any case, you should get the analyses done by YFull. In my opinion these both are better options than Big Y.

aaronbee2010
01-31-2019, 08:25 PM
Fullgenomes Y Elite at $450. should be very good, but DanteLabs WGS would be better but you will need someone to extract yDNA information from that for you, in any case, you should get the analyses done by YFull. In my opinion these both are better options than Big Y.

I think for Y-DNA sequencing, FGC is better right now. Y Elite is actually $430 (free shipping) if you use their coupon :)

Their coverage is the best in the business for Y-DNA and it's now affordable :)

I can recommend FGC to everyone who wants Y-DNA sequencing.

For WGS, Dante Labs is the most affordable with good coverage.

aaronbee2010
01-31-2019, 08:30 PM
YFull is best for Y-DNA SNP extraction, I would use them even with FGC

aaronbee2010
01-31-2019, 08:56 PM
Rather than spending $700 on this, dante labs WGS would give you this and way more.

FGC is like $430 with free shipping, not $700. it's Y-DNA only but the coverage is brilliant. If you want to discover new SNPs and grow the YFull tree then its the best for that.

aaronbee2010
01-31-2019, 09:13 PM
Dante Labs should be sufficient if you just want to add yourself to the tree and you're not too bothered about growing the tree.

laltota
01-31-2019, 09:31 PM
Dante Labs should be sufficient if you just want to add yourself to the tree and you're not too bothered about growing the tree.

Always good if tree grows though, especially for tiny trees and branches like R2b.

aaronbee2010
01-31-2019, 09:37 PM
Always good if tree grows though, especially for tiny trees and branches like R2b.

Yes. Y-DNA sequencing is better for this. FGC is my current recommendation however I'm still waiting for more information on coverage with the Big Y-700 service that was just announced.

laltota
01-31-2019, 09:41 PM
FGC is like $430 with free shipping, not $700. it's Y-DNA only but the coverage is brilliant. If you want to discover new SNPs and grow the YFull tree then its the best for that.

I was going to get the FGC Y-Elite test instead of FTDNA Big-Y, but FGC had temporarily stopped doing their tests in EU countries at that time.

Another thing is I also like these kind of charts that FTDNA has for their STR test results https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R2?iframe=yresults

aaronbee2010
01-31-2019, 10:05 PM
I was going to get the FGC Y-Elite test instead of FTDNA Big-Y, but FGC had temporarily stopped doing their tests in EU countries at that time.

Another thing is I also like these kind of charts that FTDNA has for their STR test results https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R2?iframe=yresults

Post Removed

laltota
01-31-2019, 10:12 PM
They didn't stop dude! They have a manual sales mechanism for people in the EU. You have to message them at sales[at]fullgenomes[dot]com. They never stopped my man.

As per their email to me when I was going to do the test, they had stopped offering their tests in EU for a while due to a new privacy protection law. They restarted in EU after some time, I assume when they worked out how to be within the new EU rules.

aaronbee2010
01-31-2019, 10:52 PM
As per their email to me when I was going to do the test, they had stopped offering their tests in EU for a while due to a new privacy protection law. They restarted in EU after some time, I assume when they worked out how to be within the new EU rules.

Ahh, my bad!

Ignore me please :P

Mingle
02-07-2019, 08:12 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2OpaCcj.png

https://i.imgur.com/ZTgAdUA.png

Amber29
02-10-2019, 01:28 PM
this is my fathers result from Ancestry Transfer

scobar
03-04-2019, 01:09 AM
23andMe v5 upload to DNA.Land --> downloaded imputed file from DNA.Land --> converted to 23andMe v3 format for upload to ftDna

Ancient Origins

misanthropy
03-05-2019, 02:50 AM
23andMe v5 upload to DNA.Land --> downloaded imputed file from DNA.Land --> converted to 23andMe v3 format for upload to ftDna

Ancient Origins

Oh wow, you got pretty damn similar results as my V4 did. I have yet to try my V5 (I would use the V3 convert ofc).

I'm guessing that the SE Europe is a Levantine/Fertile Crescent kind of signal. After comparing me and my bro's 23andme with Yemenis, all the Yemenis get these West Asian traces that is probably from the Levant during ancient times (see "peopling of Arabia" thread in ancient dna subforum).

scobar
03-05-2019, 03:10 AM
Oh wow, you got pretty damn similar results as my V4 did. I have yet to try my V5 (I would use the V3 convert ofc).

I'm guessing that the SE Europe is a Levantine/Fertile Crescent kind of signal. After comparing me and my bro's 23andme with Yemenis, all the Yemenis get these West Asian traces that is probably from the Levant during ancient times (see "peopling of Arabia" thread in ancient dna subforum).

That's interesting...I was guessing is it has to do something with a more recent signal in my case because of the diversity of dna relatives I get on 23andMe & GedMatch - including chromosome matches with native americans on european/iberian segments - & my great grandmother's family being from Calicut, a famous trading port. What do your dna relatives look like on these platforms?

misanthropy
03-05-2019, 03:19 AM
That's interesting...I was guessing is it has to do something with a more recent signal in my case because of the diversity of dna relatives I get on 23andMe & GedMatch - including chromosome matches with native americans on european/iberian segments - & my great grandmother's family being from Calicut, a famous trading port. What do your dna relatives look like on these platforms?

Me (V5):

Rank Ancestry Percent of DNA Relatives with ancestry
1 British & Irish 59%
2 French & German 55%
3 Scandinavian 36%
4 South Asian 30%
5 Italian 24%
6 Spanish & Portuguese 21%
7 Eastern European 18%
8 Greek & Balkan 15%
9 Western Asian 12%
10 Native American 9%
11 West African 9%
12 Ashkenazi Jewish 6%
13 North African & Arabian 6%
14 Southeast Asian 3%

United States of America (45)
India (24)
Italy (9)
United Kingdom (6)
Canada (4)
Ireland (3)
Argentina (2)
Brazil (2)
China (2)
Germany (2)
Portugal (2)
Puerto Rico (2)
Trinidad and Tobago (2)
Afghanistan (1)
Australia (1)
Austria (1)
Colombia (1)
Croatia (1)
Denmark (1)
El Salvador (1)

My brother (also V5):

1 British & Irish 61%
2 French & German 54%
3 Scandinavian 39%
4 South Asian 29%
5 Italian 25%
6 Western Asian 21%
7 Eastern European 18%
8 Spanish & Portuguese 18%
9 Greek & Balkan 14%
10 North African & Arabian 11%
11 Native American 7%
12 West African 7%
13 Ashkenazi Jewish 4%
14 East African 4%
15 Finnish 4%
16 Southeast Asian 4%

United States of America (36)
India (14)
Italy (8)
United Kingdom (6)
Canada (3)
China (3)
Ireland (3)
Brazil (2)
Iran (2)
Pakistan (2)
Poland (2)
Somalia (2)
Sweden (2)
Argentina (1)
Belarus (1)
Croatia (1)
Finland (1)
Germany (1)
Greece (1)
Kenya (1)

scobar
03-05-2019, 03:34 AM
Me (V5):

1 British & Irish 59%
2 French & German 55%
3 Scandinavian 36%
4 South Asian 30%
5 Italian 24%
7 Eastern European 18%
8 Greek & Balkan 15%
9 Western Asian 12%
10 Native American 9%
11 West African 9%
12 Ashkenazi Jewish 6%
14 Southeast Asian 3%

India (24)
Italy (9)
United Kingdom (6)
Canada (4)
Ireland (3)
Argentina (2)
Brazil (2)
China (2)
Germany (2)
Portugal (2)
Puerto Rico (2)
Trinidad and Tobago (2)
Afghanistan (1)
Australia (1)
Austria (1)
Colombia (1)
Croatia (1)
Denmark (1)
El Salvador (1)

My brother (also V5):

1 British & Irish 61%
2 French & German 54%
3 Scandinavian 39%
4 South Asian 29%
5 Italian 25%
6 Western Asian 21%
7 Eastern European 18%
9 Greek & Balkan 14%
11 Native American 7%
12 West African 7%
13 Ashkenazi Jewish 4%
14 East African 4%
15 Finnish 4%
16 Southeast Asian 4%

India (14)
Italy (8)
United Kingdom (6)
Canada (3)
China (3)
Ireland (3)
Brazil (2)
Iran (2)
Pakistan (2)
Poland (2)
Somalia (2)
Sweden (2)
Argentina (1)
Belarus (1)
Croatia (1)
Finland (1)
Germany (1)
Greece (1)
Kenya (1)

23&Me should be showing you people you're related to and not going back more than 500 years for common ancestors..I doubt this could be just one Yemeni ancestor. Have you looked at the segments you match with them on and what 23&Me assigns to them for those segments? You could also note the positions of matching segments & look them up on chromosome paintings for your kits on GedMatch.

FrostAssassin0701
03-05-2019, 03:41 AM
23&Me should be showing you people you're related to and not going back more than 500 years for common ancestors..I doubt this could be just one Yemeni ancestor. Have you looked at the segments you match with them on and what 23&Me assigns to them for those segments? You could also note the positions of matching segments & look them up on chromosome paintings for your kits on GedMatch.
In theory, you’re correct, but in practice this is not what occurs. Virtually every single South Asian, for instance, matches with Europeans. It’s virtually impossible for nearly all South Asians to have European ancestry, so what it’s really finding is ancient shared segments.

tipirneni
03-05-2019, 04:46 AM
Me (V5):

1 British & Irish 59%
2 French & German 55%
3 Scandinavian 36%
4 South Asian 30%
5 Italian 24%
7 Eastern European 18%
8 Greek & Balkan 15%
9 Western Asian 12%
10 Native American 9%
11 West African 9%
12 Ashkenazi Jewish 6%
14 Southeast Asian 3%

India (24)
Italy (9)
United Kingdom (6)
Canada (4)
Ireland (3)
Argentina (2)
Brazil (2)
China (2)
Germany (2)
Portugal (2)
Puerto Rico (2)
Trinidad and Tobago (2)
Afghanistan (1)
Australia (1)
Austria (1)
Colombia (1)
Croatia (1)
Denmark (1)
El Salvador (1)

My brother (also V5):

1 British & Irish 61%
2 French & German 54%
3 Scandinavian 39%
4 South Asian 29%
5 Italian 25%
6 Western Asian 21%
7 Eastern European 18%
9 Greek & Balkan 14%
11 Native American 7%
12 West African 7%
13 Ashkenazi Jewish 4%
14 East African 4%
15 Finnish 4%
16 Southeast Asian 4%

India (14)
Italy (8)
United Kingdom (6)
Canada (3)
China (3)
Ireland (3)
Brazil (2)
Iran (2)
Pakistan (2)
Poland (2)
Somalia (2)
Sweden (2)
Argentina (1)
Belarus (1)
Croatia (1)
Finland (1)
Germany (1)
Greece (1)
Kenya (1)

on GED you can triangulate by chromosome & get matching segments for people matching most. that will enable you see the segment if they are IBD or iBS or so.

https://blog.kittycooper.com/2014/10/when-is-a-dna-segment-match-a-real-match-ibd-or-ibs-or-ibc/

scobar
03-05-2019, 04:55 AM
on GED you can triangulate by chromosome & get matching segments for people matching most. that will enable you see the segment if they are IBD or iBS or so.

https://blog.kittycooper.com/2014/10/when-is-a-dna-segment-match-a-real-match-ibd-or-ibs-or-ibc/

For my case, I do see instances where multiple people match on the same segment..and my relatives seem to split into three groups with me in common. I thought 23&Me was being rigorous enough to try and show high-probability IBD matches, but seems like it doesn't work in practice for a lot of people.

tipirneni
03-05-2019, 02:34 PM
For my case, I do see instances where multiple people match on the same segment..and my relatives seem to split into three groups with me in common. I thought 23&Me was being rigorous enough to try and show high-probability IBD matches, but seems like it doesn't work in practice for a lot of people.

you have to further check between those people matching. if say a segment matches between many people & many other smaller segments look like sharing then it is IBD

Amber29
03-10-2019, 11:04 PM
My 23andMe version .....similar to my myheritage version i added before.

i get the exact same with my Myheritage upload too, same trace results just with an extra 1% Central asian.
My ancestry was without the trace so bang on central asian and british isles... the 4% was consistent all the way lol.

Amber29
03-26-2019, 06:40 PM

can someone explain what does the 1/2/3 step match mean?

also only at HRV1 i get 33 exact matches - maybe im assuming this is just the W or W1 thingy?

scobar
05-10-2019, 07:22 AM

Ancient Origins

Ancestry V2 upload

Almost identical to v5, bit more in central asia, bit less in SE Europe.

Amber29
06-21-2019, 03:11 PM
Sister 1 Ancestry upload:

96% Central Asia
2% Southeast Europe
<2% Asia Minor

Sister 2 ancestry upload:
94% Central Asia
4%Southeast Europe
<2% Asia Minor
<1% West Middle East

Mum ancestry upload:
95% Central Asia
4% Asia Minor
<1% West Middle East
<2% East Europe

Mothers 23andme upload:
99% Central Asia
<2% Asia minor

bloody makes sense where all our dna matches coming from though I show british isles only? Hmmm and east middle east (which is to a point real persian gulf) all of them are real.... though I wonder which side and i shall find out once i get my grandparents and cousins result (sent a non-liquid kit to Pakistan XD) quite more mixed than i thought i was oops

Orchid
08-01-2019, 10:47 PM
My origin results on ftdna were basically:

100% South Central Asia

Jaffna Tamil Vellala caste from Sri Lanka.

Orchid
08-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Has anyone found the ftDNA yDNA and mtDNA matching services useful from a south asian context? For me personally the ydna 37 was a waste of money. I did not get any matches at a 37 level. i only got one match at a 25 level, a person from gujarat (which probably extends from the Vedic period).

I was considering doing the mtDNA test too, because i really want to know if my mtDNA is an indigenous line to SL (over 2000 years history). But I suspect there will be a dearth of samples from south asia, let alone SL.

laltota
08-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Has anyone found the ftDNA yDNA and mtDNA matching services useful from a south asian context? For me personally the ydna 37 was a waste of money. I did not get any matches at a 37 level. i only got one match at a 25 level, a person from gujarat (which probably extends from the Vedic period).

I was considering doing the mtDNA test too, because i really want to know if my mtDNA is an indigenous line to SL (over 2000 years history). But I suspect there will be a dearth of samples from south asia, let alone SL.

Probably everyone is waiting for everyone else. Best for people to do the tests if they can afford and eventually there will be more samples in database for matching comparison.

tipirneni
08-02-2019, 10:36 PM

Ancestry has more South Asian matches. MyHeritage also provides some interesting matches.

aaronbee2010
08-03-2019, 01:08 AM

Absolutely not. I only have 11 Y12 matches on FTDNA, and only 4 of them are South Asians. I even have no Y25 matches at a close enough distance for FTDNA to consider them matches at the Y25 level.

Amber29
08-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Sister 1 Ancestry upload:

96% Central Asia
2% Southeast Europe
<2% Asia Minor

Sister 2 ancestry upload:
94% Central Asia
4%Southeast Europe
<2% Asia Minor
<1% West Middle East

Mum ancestry upload:
95% Central Asia
4% Asia Minor
<1% West Middle East
<2% East Europe

Mothers 23andme upload:
99% Central Asia
<2% Asia minor

bloody makes sense where all our dna matches coming from though I show british isles only? Hmmm and east middle east (which is to a point real persian gulf) all of them are real.... though I wonder which side and i shall find out once i get my grandparents and cousins result (sent a non-liquid kit to Pakistan XD) quite more mixed than i thought i was oops

Brothers ancestry upload:
South central asian:5%
Central asian 85%
Asia Minor 7%
British isles 3%

23andme v5 upload:
Central asia:97%
British isles 2%
Asia minor <2%

MonkeyDLuffy
08-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Brothers ancestry upload:
South central asian:5%
Central asian 85%
Asia Minor 7%
British isles 3%

23andme v5 upload:
Central asia:97%
British isles 2%
Asia minor <2%

I'm just amazed how much variation exist even among siblings. Imagine being a clueless SA born and raised in UK, getting british isle in their test. They'll automatically think it's legit and try to connect more with England.

aaronbee2010
08-19-2019, 01:44 PM
I'm just amazed how much variation exist even among siblings. Imagine being a clueless SA born and raised in UK, getting british isle in their test. They'll automatically think it's legit and try to connect more with England.

This happened with my family XD one of my cousins kept calling me a ginger because I got 18% celt on MyHeritage :(

Press F to pay respects

MonkeyDLuffy
08-19-2019, 01:55 PM
This happened with my family XD one of my cousins kept calling me a ginger because I got 18% celt on MyHeritage :(

Press F to pay respects

My avatar is me paying respect.

Amber29
08-19-2019, 01:56 PM

LOOOOOOOL love it��

aaronbee2010
08-19-2019, 02:29 PM

That pic just needs a keyboard with a massive F photoshopped on it XD

aaronbee2010
08-19-2019, 02:43 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/d5eef5a9e16e62f15d4ec423bf5c6520.png

Rahuls77
08-19-2019, 02:44 PM
Absolutely not. I only have 11 Y12 matches on FTDNA, and only 4 of them are South Asians. I even have no Y25 matches at a close enough distance for FTDNA to consider them matches at the Y25 level.

I have no matches for y37 or Y25. However many of them for Y12, and almost all of them are Russian and several Europeans(Swedes, Germans, Poles Czechs, Anglos, Scottish etc) and then there is one Bahraini as well. No Indians at all
Family finder has been some solace, with two matches so far, both from Potohar.

tipirneni
08-19-2019, 02:59 PM
I get 9/10 list of American matches on Y-12 marker all H-M82 might be Gypsy ones since the numbers are close & I am just 1 branch away from their branch. Only 1 Indian one.

The FamilyFinder is closer, it gives me 6 out of 10 possible related surnames from Andhra & 4 white

aaronbee2010
08-19-2019, 03:18 PM
I have no matches for y37 or Y25. However many of them for Y12, and almost all of them are Russian and several Europeans(Swedes, Germans, Poles Czechs, Anglos, Scottish etc) and then there is one Bahraini as well. No Indians at all

That's true for me as well. I get a few matches from my ethnic background, which is nice.

But with Y-DNA, only 1 of the South Asian matches I had at Y-12 was likely to come under a similar subclade to mine (there's another one on FTDNA's R2-M124-WTY project, but he's got tight privacy settings).

Even then, coming under the same subclade (within a 5300 year TMRCA) is still nowhere near as good as a close match within 10-20 generations.

Amber29
08-19-2019, 04:17 PM
That's true for me as well. I get a few matches from my ethnic background, which is nice.

But with Y-DNA, only 1 of the South Asian matches I had at Y-12 was likely to come under a similar subclade to mine (there's another one on FTDNA's R2-M124-WTY project, but he's got tight privacy settings.

Even then, coming under the same subclade (within a 5300 year TMRCA) is still nowhere near as good as a close match within 10-20 generations.

I am still yet to be found well my dad is ��

aaronbee2010
08-19-2019, 04:28 PM
I am still yet to be found well my dad is ��

https://i.gyazo.com/24f4e27cfcf69135a4955119dbb030ee.png

Amber29
08-19-2019, 04:31 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/24f4e27cfcf69135a4955119dbb030ee.png

OMG please stop it im literally laughing out loud out here LOOOOL.....mate got delayed 4/5 times haha but the lady said today that my dad samples is in 'top priority' or something but that better be there at 15th Sept! or even better before! ha

parasar
08-21-2019, 07:27 PM

That is actually very good - especially if the same person also stays close at 37.

parasar
08-21-2019, 07:42 PM

Matches at 12 are often useless for R1a1-Z645 which is only about 5500 years old. The Europeans are all likely to be Z283+.

Are you confirmed Z93+? The two other matches from Potohar indicate that you likely are.

Amber29
08-21-2019, 10:05 PM
OMGGGGG I GOT MY RESULTS OMGGGG FINALLY!

Censored
08-22-2019, 12:21 AM
OMG please stop it im literally laughing out loud out here LOOOOL.....mate got delayed 4/5 times haha but the lady said today that my dad samples is in 'top priority' or something but that better be there at 15th Sept! or even better before! ha

You guys are an enigma

Amber29
08-27-2019, 08:45 PM
guys what to do with the new File format for FTDNA? is it safe to convert the file etc?

solarius
11-13-2019, 05:31 AM
Maternal grandmother is 90% "Central Asian", 9% European and my father is 87% "Central Asian", 13% European.

agent_lime
11-13-2019, 05:54 AM
Maternal grandmother is 90% "Central Asian", 9% European and my father is 87% "Central Asian", 13% European.

Are you mixed? Can you post your Harappa world results?

solarius
11-13-2019, 06:01 AM
Are you mixed? Can you post your Harappa world results?

No, we're all Punjabi Jatts from Sikh families.

Where is the link, this rings a bell, is it something to do with GEDMatch? I have both kits registered there.

agent_lime
11-13-2019, 06:14 AM
No, we're all Punjabi Jatts from Sikh families.

Where is the link, this rings a bell, is it something to do with GEDMatch? I have both kits registered there.

https://genesis.gedmatch.com/

On the Admixture link you can find harappa. Copy paste your kit in it.

solarius
11-13-2019, 06:23 AM
https://genesis.gedmatch.com/

On the Admixture link you can find harappa. Copy paste your kit in it.

The first one with the Siberian component is my maternal grandmother and the second one with Beringian component is my father.

agent_lime
11-13-2019, 06:50 AM
The first one with the Siberian component is my maternal grandmother and the second one with Beringian component is my father.

They seem like standard Punjabi Jatt kits. No recent Central Asian or Euro mixture. You can check the oracles as well.

solarius
11-13-2019, 06:58 AM
They seem like standard Punjabi Jatt kits. No recent Central Asian or Euro mixture. You can check the oracles as well.

Indeed, FTDNA's autosomal results aren't very useful.

I should have included this in my post but didn't realise these were there:

My father:

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
1 punjabi-jatt-sikh (harappa) 2.53
2 punjabi-khatri (harappa) 5.06
3 haryana-jatt (harappa) 5.57
4 sindhi (harappa) 5.93
5 punjabi-jatt-muslim (harappa) 6.57
6 pathan (hgdp) 6.95
7 punjabi-brahmin (harappa) 7.03
8 kashmiri-pandit (reich) 7.13
9 punjabi (harappa) 7.24
10 singapore-indian-c (sgvp) 7.33
11 kashmiri (harappa) 7.47
12 bhatia (harappa) 7.56
13 punjabi-arain (xing) 8.23
14 kashmiri-pahari (harappa) 8.56
15 punjabi-ramgarhia (harappa) 8.6
16 nepalese-a (xing) 9.42
17 sindhi (hgdp) 9.51
18 burusho (hgdp) 9.75
19 up-muslim (harappa) 9.97
20 gujarati-muslim (harappa) 10.33

Maternal grandmother:

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
1 punjabi-jatt-sikh (harappa) 3.7
2 punjabi-khatri (harappa) 4.24
3 kashmiri-pandit (reich) 4.93
4 punjabi-brahmin (harappa) 5.19
5 kashmiri (harappa) 5.91
6 singapore-indian-c (sgvp) 5.94
7 punjabi-jatt-muslim (harappa) 5.97
8 punjabi (harappa) 6.06
9 haryana-jatt (harappa) 6.42
10 sindhi (harappa) 6.43
11 punjabi-ramgarhia (harappa) 7.27
12 kashmiri-pahari (harappa) 7.31
13 pathan (hgdp) 7.68
14 punjabi-arain (xing) 7.98
15 nepalese-a (xing) 8.38
16 bhatia (harappa) 8.47
17 up-muslim (harappa) 8.67
18 gujarati-muslim (harappa) 9.55
19 sindhi (hgdp) 10.11
20 burusho (hgdp) 10.28

solarius
12-10-2019, 07:45 PM
I've just got my own results in today. FTDNA still need to tweak their algorithm in line with Harappa.

88% "Central Asian", 9% Scandinavian, Finland <1%, South America <1%, Southeast Europe <2%.

Censored
02-28-2020, 01:18 AM
Father's results just came in. He is a pure Dravidian.

16% North India
82% South India

clocknative
02-28-2020, 11:14 AM
Father's results just came in. He is a pure Dravidian.

16% North India
82% South India

Have you got your mothers results for FTDNA ?

Censored
02-29-2020, 07:42 AM
Have you got your mothers results for FTDNA ?

No but since I have 28% North Indian my mom is sure to be over 40%.

Dr_McNinja
03-06-2020, 10:19 PM
https://dna-explained.com/2020/02/28/sneak-preview-familytreednas-myorigins-version-3-0/?fbclid=IwAR0sEcbSWQNGsJ7VMoYIfzjGPfD6Z2d9Nu7nXNA5 QIIzFs5qzJ4aGh6iZW8

Looks like possibly the HGDP populations added onto the existing reference populations? We'll see I suppose

vishankar
03-20-2020, 10:59 AM
posting my ft dna MY origins and ancient origins.36886

vishankar
03-20-2020, 11:00 AM
cant hide my real name here)))....poor editing skills LOL

vishankar
03-20-2020, 11:02 AM

these are my Mom's results.

vishankar
03-20-2020, 11:04 AM

my brothers ancient origins.

vishankar
03-20-2020, 11:08 AM
In my sample set of around 50 , all south indian ( malayali and tulu) groups, i have never come across hunter gatherer DNA!!!....my own brother seems to possess 2% of that!
Parasar has an interesting explanation of this, ( which i will share later with his permission!).

i have seen Aaronbee and a pashtun sample with HG DNA, which in my opinion is of somewhat recent european admixture!.

I would greatly appreciate if my jatt and Pakistani friends post their ancient origins from family tree dna , i feel it is in that subset we may uncover more HG DNA!

MonkeyDLuffy
03-20-2020, 05:24 PM
In my sample set of around 50 , all south indian ( malayali and tulu) groups, i have never come across hunter gatherer DNA!!!....my own brother seems to possess 2% of that!
Parasar has an interesting explanation of this, ( which i will share later with his permission!).

i have seen Aaronbee and a pashtun sample with HG DNA, which in my opinion is of somewhat recent european admixture!.

I would greatly appreciate if my jatt and Pakistani friends post their ancient origins from family tree dna , i feel it is in that subset we may uncover more HG DNA!

I get 4% of HG on ancient origins. It's nothing extra lol. Fairly common among high steppe population of South Asia, especially in North. One thing I can assure you, we don't have any "recent european admixture", in mine or aaronbee or other northern users case.

These ancestry Compositions on commercial websites are good for fun and can give you some false results, for some serious digging you'll have to dive into nmonte.

aaronbee2010
03-20-2020, 05:42 PM

To add to Luffys excellent point, what's made you come to the conclusion that this Euro admix is recent? Are you saying that the more Euro DNA, the more recent? I don't understand how you're making such an inference about my Euro DNA being recently acquired.

vishankar
03-20-2020, 08:22 PM
To add to Luffys excellent point, what's made you come to the conclusion that this Euro admix is recent? Are you saying that the more Euro DNA, the more recent? I don't understand how you're making such an inference about my Euro DNA being recently acquired.

maybe i rephrase it.....would you find that HG among the punjabi brahmins??.....possibly they came from an earlier steppe migration than the scythian influenced Jats and tarkhans?

vishankar
03-20-2020, 08:24 PM
i mean to say that the HG DNA -may not be there in the vedic folk!...more likely in the post vedic invasions- scythic in Punjab.

vishankar
03-20-2020, 08:24 PM
I get 4% of HG on ancient origins. It's nothing extra lol. Fairly common among high steppe population of South Asia, especially in North. One thing I can assure you, we don't have any "recent european admixture", in mine or aaronbee or other northern users case.

These ancestry Compositions on commercial websites are good for fun and can give you some false results, for some serious digging you'll have to dive into nmonte.

you are right about the nmonte!....far superior to the admix calcs!

MonkeyDLuffy
03-20-2020, 09:16 PM
maybe i rephrase it.....would you find that HG among the punjabi brahmins??.....possibly they came from an earlier steppe migration than the scythian influenced Jats and tarkhans?

I don't see why not among Brahmins. WHG is part of the steppe we've. That includes Brahmins as well. Punjabi Brahmins are no different from other Punjabis.

Censored
03-20-2020, 10:11 PM
I don't see why not among Brahmins. WHG is part of the steppe we've. That includes Brahmins as well. Punjabi Brahmins are no different from other Punjabis.

WHG in us is so minor as to not even register on tests.

MonkeyDLuffy
03-20-2020, 10:17 PM
WHG in us is so minor as to not even register on tests.

Us? There is a difference in steppe levels in us. So not sure how you define us. We are not homogeneous subcontinent.

Censored
03-20-2020, 10:22 PM
Us? There is a difference in steppe levels in us. So not sure how you define us. We are not homogeneous subcontinent.

Yes, us. South Asians.

MonkeyDLuffy
03-20-2020, 10:42 PM
Yes, us. South Asians.

Then you're pretty wrong. We have huge variation in subcontinent to see everyone under same lens. Anyhow, the WHG (or like population) %age in you and a Paniya and a ror and a Nepali Brahmin is very different, despite being from same sub continent. Pretty ignorant statement.

Censored
03-20-2020, 11:04 PM
Then you're pretty wrong. We have huge variation in subcontinent to see everyone under same lens. Anyhow, the WHG (or like population) %age in you and a Paniya and a ror and a Nepali Brahmin is very different, despite being from same sub continent. Pretty ignorant statement.

"sample": "Brahmin_Khas_Nepal:Average",
"fit": 3.724,
"IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N": 34.17,
"Simulated_AASI": 31.67,
"RUS_Sidelkino_HG": 20.83,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 6.67,
"GEO_CHG": 6.67,
"WHG": 0,

"sample": "Custom:AGUser_censored",
"fit": 2.8384,
"Simulated_AASI": 42.5,
"RUS_Sidelkino_HG": 10.83,
"GEO_CHG": 9.17,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 3.33,

"sample": "Paniya:Average",
"fit": 1.605,
"Simulated_AASI": 75.83,
"IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N": 10.83,
"GEO_CHG": 7.5,
"RUS_Sidelkino_HG": 3.33,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 2.5,

"sample": "Punjab_Ramgharia:MonkeyDLuffy_AGUser",
"fit": 4.3479,
"IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N": 37.5,
"Simulated_AASI": 27.5,
"RUS_Sidelkino_HG": 19.17,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 8.33,

"sample": "Ror:Average",
"fit": 3.3958,
"IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N": 38.33,
"RUS_Sidelkino_HG": 27.5,
"Simulated_AASI": 18.33,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 10.83,
"GEO_CHG": 5,

MonkeyDLuffy
03-20-2020, 11:14 PM
"sample": "Brahmin_Khas_Nepal:Average",
"fit": 3.724,
"Simulated_AASI": 31.67,
"RUS_Sidelkino_HG": 20.83,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 6.67,

"sample": "Custom:AGUser_censored",
"fit": 2.8384,
"Simulated_AASI": 42.5,
"RUS_Sidelkino_HG": 10.83,
"GEO_CHG": 9.17,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 3.33,

"sample": "Paniya:Average",
"fit": 1.605,
"Simulated_AASI": 75.83,
"IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N": 10.83,
"RUS_Sidelkino_HG": 3.33,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 2.5,

"sample": "Punjab_Ramgharia:MonkeyDLuffy_AGUser",
"fit": 4.3479,
"IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N": 37.5,
"Simulated_AASI": 27.5,
"RUS_Sidelkino_HG": 19.17,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 8.33,

"fit": 3.3958,
"IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N": 38.33,
"RUS_Sidelkino_HG": 27.5,
"Simulated_AASI": 18.33,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 10.83,
"GEO_CHG": 5,

RUS sidelkino HG itself has EHG/WSHG like ancestry, which absorbs the WHG. Not sure why you'd use two populations with similar ancesty.

And thanks for the run, despite terrible fits, it shows the clear difference in all of "Us".

Censored
03-20-2020, 11:41 PM
RUS sidelkino HG itself has EHG/WSHG like ancestry, which absorbs the WHG. Not sure why you'd use two populations with similar ancesty.

And thanks for the run, despite terrible fits, it shows the clear difference in all of "Us".
Ok switched to WSHG instead of EHG. Ror gets 5% WHG the rest do not or .83%.

"fit": 3.7495,
"IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N": 35,
"RUS_Tyumen_HG": 21.67,
"Simulated_AASI": 17.5,
"Anatolia_Barcin_N": 14.17,
"WHG": 5,

And the differences between us arent that big, Europeans and West Asians internally vary as much or more but the distances are large due to the diverged nature of AASI.

MonkeyDLuffy
03-21-2020, 12:14 AM

And the differences between us arent that big, Europeans and West Asians internally vary as much or more but the distances are large due to the diverged nature of AASI.

Again very terrible fits, feels more like a forced fit run. And even with atrocious fits in above post, you still proved my point that we've a lot of difference.

A simple run pretty much shows where we stand:

sample": "Punjab_Ramgharia:Average",
"fit": 1.2791,
"Pashtun": 65,
"Hyderabad_Muslim": 35,

So should I start claiming we're same as pashtuns? Nope. Forced association is sad

Censored
03-21-2020, 12:42 AM
Again very terrible fits, feels more like a forced fit run. And even with atrocious fits in above post, you still proved my point that we've a lot of difference.

A simple run pretty much shows where we stand:

sample": "Punjab_Ramgharia:Average",
"fit": 1.2791,
"Pashtun": 65,
"Hyderabad_Muslim": 35,

So should I start claiming we're same as pashtuns? Nope. Forced association is sad

You might want to develop a sense of nuance rather than taking a hard stance on anything perceived to be contrary to your worldview.

Yes, good fits are difficult without proper ancients. It doesnt mean much.

MonkeyDLuffy
03-21-2020, 12:48 AM
You might want to develop a sense of nuance rather than taking a hard stance on anything perceived to be contrary to your worldview.

Yes, good fits are difficult without proper ancients. It doesnt mean much.

Atleast my world view can be backed up by genetics and facts rather than posting pics of same few internet celebrities. Again, thank you for saving me time of running all the populations, you ended up proving my point.

Kulin
03-21-2020, 12:50 AM
Guys please refrain from off-topic discussions. Lets keep this thread about FTDNA.

clocknative
03-21-2020, 05:48 AM

Have you not seen South Asian PCA? Sometimes I think your are just trolling. Whats really annoying is when I tell people I'm from Punjab and then they come out with the classic "wE WeRe aLl InDIanS tHoUgh". What does that mean lol. We were all British Indian something that was forced upon us, we all became British Indians because we were CONQUERED lol not out of choice.

Censored
03-21-2020, 07:12 AM
Have you not seen South Asian PCA? Sometimes I think your are just trolling. Whats really annoying is when I tell people I'm from Punjab and then they come out with the classic "wE WeRe aLl InDIanS tHoUgh". What does that mean lol. We were all British Indian something that was forced upon us, we all became British Indians because we were CONQUERED lol not out of choice.

As I said, the PCA spans a wide distance due to the diverged nature of AASI. Had it not been for that we would have similar overall diversity to Europeans.

clocknative
03-21-2020, 07:19 AM
As I said, the PCA spans a wide distance due to the diverged nature of AASI. Had it not been for that we would have similar overall diversity to Europeans.

cool bro.

vishankar
03-21-2020, 06:25 PM
just have a look at my run!...using more or less the same components Censored used!

MonkeyDLuffy
03-21-2020, 09:15 PM
just have a look at my run!...using more or less the same components Censored used!

The fit is very bad Vishankar. I'll see if I can run a model for you with better fits. Also let's post this in G25 thread.

03-21-2020, 09:33 PM
The fit is very bad Vishankar. I'll see if I can run a model for you with better fits. Also let's post this in G25 thread.

Let's get the G25 thread up and running again. I'm sad how much it's slowed down.