PDA

View Full Version : S/SC ASIAN Results :: AncestryDNA

khanabadoshi
06-26-2018, 08:22 PM
Post your AncestryDNA results here. Be sure to include the Version of your kit, if you know it (Ancestry DNA also has various version up to V3). At your convenience add your results to this spreadsheet: S/SC ASIAN :: AncestryDNA Ancestry Composition.
DO NOT create a new thread for individual results.

kush
06-27-2018, 01:28 AM
I have the V2
https://i.imgur.com/GMs7O3U.png

ssamlal
06-27-2018, 11:29 AM
Mine (v2)

nuplix
06-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Don't know the version.

https://i.imgur.com/HkadQMD.png

kush
06-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Mine (v2)

woah how did you get that division? I just checked for updates and I found nothing.

MuslimPatel123
06-27-2018, 04:28 PM
woah how did you get that division? I just checked for updates and I found nothing.
Yeah I also haven't gotten that update yet. I'm really skeptical of separating western and central India from the rest of south asia given the large genetic diversity in a single region. Also, the diagram looks kind of ridiculous.

Hopefully they've at least fixed the fact that "melanesian" and "polynesian" keep showing up for south asians.

Jatt1
06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Post your AncestryDNA results here. Be sure to include the Version of your kit, if you know it (Ancestry DNA also has various version up to V3). At your convenience add your results to this spreadsheet: S/SC ASIAN :: AncestryDNA Ancestry Composition.
DO NOT create a new thread for individual results.

Can you please advise me if it is right to test with MyHeritage or AncestryDNA for autosomal test, and which one is a better test, how many SNPs each test for, both have it on sale right now? Thanks.

poi
06-27-2018, 07:30 PM
Can you please advise me if it is right to test with MyHeritage or AncestryDNA for autosomal test, and which one is a better test, how many SNPs each test for, both have it on sale right now? Thanks.

Use this chart to compare SNPs across various companies. You can't get 23andme v2/3/4 and older chips for other companies. Take your time looking at what company is the right fit. If this is your first time, you probably also want to find out your y/mtDna haplogroups, so Ancestry and FTDNA are NOT going to be providing that. So, use 23andme for example. But 23andme is horrible for past/existing calculators, so you probably also want Ancestry or FTDNA for those calculators. I have both 23andme+FTDNA. That gives me the haplogroup info as well as good-enough coverage for calculators in existence.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_SNP_comparison_chart

poi
06-27-2018, 07:38 PM
My SiL's Ancestry:

coolguy
06-27-2018, 10:20 PM

I think that's because they haven't broken down the rest of South Asia yet. It's only broken down into Western and Central India, Balochistan, Burusho and (generic) Southern Asia. Althogh this component is labeled Western and Central India, it only covers the westernmost part of India (all of Gujarat, plus south Rajasthan, northwest Maharashtra, western Madhya Pradesh, and southeast Sindh outside India). Here's there subregions for Asia (listed here (https://www.ancestry.com/boards/topics.dnaresearch.ethnicity/1195/mb.ashx)), I've bolded the South Asian regions.

Asia
-Balochistan
-Burusho
-Central and Northern Asia
-China
-Japan
-Korea and Northern China
-Philippines
-Southeast Asia-Dai (Tai)
-Southeast Asia-Vietnam
-Southern Asia
-Western and Central India
West Asia
-Iran/Persia
-Middle East
-Turkey and the Caucasus

poi
06-27-2018, 11:00 PM
I have the V2
https://i.imgur.com/GMs7O3U.png

I just don't understand why you'd get more East Asian than my SIL.

ssamlal
06-27-2018, 11:02 PM
Yeah I also haven't gotten that update yet. I'm really skeptical of separating western and central India from the rest of south asia given the large genetic diversity in a single region. Also, the diagram looks kind of ridiculous.

Hopefully they've at least fixed the fact that "Melanesian" and "polynesian" keep showing up for south asians.

One of my brothers and I got the update about 3 weeks ago. The rest of my family still have not. Melanesian and Polynesian have disappeared for both of us. I agree, the map does look strange.

Jatt1
06-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Use this chart to compare SNPs across various companies. You can't get 23andme v2/3/4 and older chips for other companies. Take your time looking at what company is the right fit. If this is your first time, you probably also want to find out your y/mtDna haplogroups, so Ancestry and FTDNA are NOT going to be providing that. So, use 23andme for example. But 23andme is horrible for past/existing calculators, so you probably also want Ancestry or FTDNA for those calculators. I have both 23andme+FTDNA. That gives me the haplogroup info as well as good-enough coverage for calculators in existence.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_SNP_comparison_chart

Thanks. But that link gives no information on the present chip that Ancestry DNA uses.

poi
06-28-2018, 02:17 PM
Thanks. But that link gives no information on the present chip that Ancestry DNA uses.

The present chip is v2. I doubt they sell kits based on v1 anymore. Similar to Ancestry, 23andme also exclusively sells kit based on their v5 chip. Basically, if the list has multiple chips listed for a company, it is safe to assume that they only sell the newest version.

vintage_sky
07-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Mine (v2)

That is the strangest division of South Asia I have seen in my life!

poi
07-02-2018, 05:24 PM
My SiL's Ancestry:

My Mother-in-law(SiL's mom)'s results from Ancestry is sort of similar, but her CentralAsia is not in "low confidence", instead her EastAsia is under "low confidence".

MuslimPatel123
07-06-2018, 02:06 AM
V2

Sapporo
07-06-2018, 09:05 AM
V2

I believe they used Punjabis and/or Sindhis as their South Asian proxy? Hence, why some other South Asians score a combo of additional East Asian, Melanesian, Polynesian or Caucasus (in comparison to the reference population) depending on their background if they're not from the NW of the subcontinent.

I just don't understand why you'd get more East Asian than my SIL.

East Asian here includes SE Asia such as Cambodia, Indonesia and the Philippines. I'm presuming it can also include Austro-Asiatic like or "Munda" like admixture depending on the individual.

poi
07-06-2018, 10:15 PM
East Asian here includes SE Asia such as Cambodia, Indonesia and the Philippines. I'm presuming it can also include Austro-Asiatic like or "Munda" like admixture depending on the individual.

My mother-in-law is getting "low confidence" for East Asian, but has 7% "Central Asian". Is there a possibility that Ancestry is completely screwing up when it comes to separating East/Central/oceanic Asian components? Basically, they have hard time separating East Eurasian components.

Zuran
07-06-2018, 10:56 PM

pnb123
07-07-2018, 04:22 AM
My mother-in-law is getting "low confidence" for East Asian, but has 7% "Central Asian". Is there a possibility that Ancestry is completely screwing up when it comes to separating East/Central/oceanic Asian components? Basically, they have hard time separating East Eurasian components.

How's she scoring on Gedmatch calculators ?

poi
07-07-2018, 06:34 AM
How's she scoring on Gedmatch calculators ?

I have run her through all Gedmatch calcs... basically, she has the higher NEEuro and ASI than most or all Nepali samples I have. Her daughter, my SIL, is similar... both were tested on Ancestry. My FIL is surprisingly lower ASI and lower Ne euro, but he was tested with 23andme v5.

Anyway, until I compile newer Gedmatch kits results, here is my MIL harappa

Population
S-Indian 33.85
Baloch 33.41
Caucasian 7.43
NE-Euro 15.62
SE-Asian -
Siberian -
NE-Asian 5.22
Papuan 0.39
American 1.45
Beringian 0.38
Mediterranean 2.11
SW-Asian -
San -
E-African -
Pygmy 0.15
W-African -

pnb123
07-07-2018, 07:14 AM
I have run her through all Gedmatch calcs... basically, she has the higher NEEuro and ASI than most or all Nepali samples I have. Her daughter, my SIL, is similar... both were tested on Ancestry. My FIL is surprisingly lower ASI and lower Ne euro, but he was tested with 23andme v5.

Anyway, until I compile newer Gedmatch kits results, here is my MIL harappa

Population
S-Indian 33.85
Baloch 33.41
Caucasian 7.43
NE-Euro 15.62
SE-Asian -
Siberian -
NE-Asian 5.22
Papuan 0.39
American 1.45
Beringian 0.38
Mediterranean 2.11
SW-Asian -
San -
E-African -
Pygmy 0.15
W-African -

Yes her NE Euro is a bit higher than average. So she’s basically scoring similar to your SIL. Is your FIL scoring drastically different than other samples? I think what I’ve observed with Nepali Brahmins so far is that they’ve pretty consistent NE Euro. But I’ve seen variations in Caucasian admixture. Btw, By ASI, do you mean South Indian in HarappaWorld or AASI in nmonte?

spicyshuwa&empanadas
07-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Here are my results,

Asia South 51%
Iberian Peninsula 15%
Native American 14%
Africa North 6%
Asia East 4%
Europe West 4%
Europe South 2%
Polynesia 1%
Melanesia 1%
Asia Central <1%
European Jewish <1%

poi
07-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Here are my results,

Asia South 51%
Iberian Peninsula 15%
Native American 14%
Africa North 6%
Asia East 4%
Europe West 4%
Europe South 2%
Polynesia 1%
Melanesia 1%
Asia Central <1%
European Jewish <1%

Wow, you have ancestry from all continents except Antarctica. lol

poi
07-24-2018, 08:41 PM
My mom's Ancestry kit has been processing for over 5 weeks and still no results. In contrast to my mother-in-law, whose ancestry kit processed within 2 weeks! They were sent at the same time. I think the reason could be because my sister-in-law already had processed through Ancestry, so my mother-in-law's processing went much faster because of her daughter's results. Is that a likely theory? Or simply random luck.

poi
07-29-2018, 07:26 PM
My mom's ancestry kit just finished. It's insane how much more "Central Asian" she had compared to my Mother In Law and Sister In Law.

Mom

Mother in law

Ancestry's "Central Asian" is true Central Asian, not like FTDNA's. But why would my mom be scoring it so much higher.

pnb123
07-30-2018, 02:22 AM
My mom's ancestry kit just finished. It's insane how much more "Central Asian" she had compared to my Mother In Law and Sister In Law.

Mom

Mother in law

Ancestry's "Central Asian" is true Central Asian, not like FTDNA's. But why would my mom be scoring it so much higher.

That’s surprising to me as well. Have you run other calculators yet?

poi
07-30-2018, 02:25 AM
That’s surprising to me as well. Have you run other calculators yet?

Ran her against all gedmatch ones... Nothing out of the ordinary. Similar to rest of the bahuns and within our general variation. I have also phased myself against them and seeing some crazy results. Not sure where to begin lol

pnb123
07-30-2018, 02:33 AM
Ran her against all gedmatch ones... Nothing out of the ordinary. Similar to rest of the bahuns and within our general variation. I have also phased myself against them and seeing some crazy results. Not sure where to begin lol

Have you checked how other Bahuns are scoring on Ancestry DNA? It is possible that Ancestry is confused whether to include steppe admixture in S Asian or Central Asian.

poi
07-30-2018, 02:55 AM
Have you checked how other Bahuns are scoring on Ancestry DNA? It is possible that Ancestry is confused whether to include steppe admixture in S Asian or Central Asian.

Yes, basically she has 10 less South Asian, 20 more Central Asian, 5 less East Asian and 5 less European. Basically, her extra Central Asian is a mix of South Asian+East Asian+European that she is lacking. Over 20% is insane. The max I've seen in Bahuns is 8% lol

sammymcgoff
08-21-2018, 03:59 PM
My grandfather, who is from Madhya Pradesh, received 82% Asia South, 12% Asia East, and 6% Melanesia

Jatt1
08-21-2018, 10:29 PM
My grandfather, who is from Madhya Pradesh, received 82% Asia South, 12% Asia East, and 6% Melanesia

Check him at gedmatch.com for a better idea.

bmoney
08-22-2018, 02:43 AM
Ancestrydna is honestly a joke

Lollybolly
08-22-2018, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know why I am scoring 2% Native American in this test? Seems really strange.

MonkeyDLuffy
08-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know why I am scoring 2% Native American in this test? Seems really strange.

Basically a bad calculator, they usually detect ANE which is shared by both South Asians and Native Americans as Native american ancestry.

Lollybolly
08-22-2018, 04:00 PM
So, they updated the results guys! On your DNA origins page, add /transition to the link and you'll see your updated results. It's even worse to be honest. They took away Gujarat and Sindh and put it into a separate region. I am getting 100% Southern Asia without Gujarat and Sindh like what is this ???? They grouped South India, Sri Lanka and West Pakistan/Afganistan TOGETHER! That means a Tamil and a NW shifted Pakistani will get the same results. I'm DONE with these DNA companies. In the meantime, these companies are able to distinguish between French and German and British. Like REALLY??? Are you kidding me??? You are not able to distinguish between a South Indian and a West-Asian shifted Pakistani but you're able to distinguish French and German? That's eurocentrism for you guys.

Jatt1
08-22-2018, 06:20 PM
So, they updated the results guys! On your DNA origins page, add /transition to the link and you'll see your updated results. It's even worse to be honest. They took away Gujarat and Sindh and put it into a separate region. I am getting 100% Southern Asia without Gujarat and Sindh like what is this ???? They grouped South India, Sri Lanka and West Pakistan/Afganistan TOGETHER! That means a Tamil and a NW shifted Pakistani will get the same results. I'm DONE with these DNA companies. In the meantime, these companies are able to distinguish between French and German and British. Like REALLY??? Are you kidding me??? You are not able to distinguish between a South Indian and a West-Asian shifted Pakistani but you're able to distinguish French and German? That's eurocentrism for you guys.

Relax. DNA companies are there to get the DNA sequencing done, for the rest matching etc., we have gedmatch and other experts here.

Lollybolly
08-22-2018, 07:22 PM
Relax. DNA companies are there to get the DNA sequencing done, for the rest matching etc., we have gedmatch and other experts here.

Yes I know this, but I am getting tired of DNA companies putting everyone in South Asia in the same basket while they are able to distinguish 1000 ethnicities for a European. South Asia is 100000x more diverse than Europe, yet every SA gets the same results. Compare my results and Ssamlal results for example. If you look at the way the results are divided, one may guess that Ssamlal is more West-Asian shifted than me, given that he scores 45% West India while I seem to be more South Indian/Dravidian shifted, which is EXTREMELY misguiding. It's ridiculous.

Jatt1
08-22-2018, 08:02 PM
Yes I know this, but I am getting tired of DNA companies putting everyone in South Asia in the same basket while they are able to distinguish 1000 ethnicities for a European. South Asia is 100000x more diverse than Europe, yet every SA gets the same results. Compare my results and Ssamlal results for example. If you look at the way the results are divided, one may guess that Ssamlal is more West-Asian shifted than me, given that he scores 45% West India while I seem to be more South Indian/Dravidian shifted, which is EXTREMELY misguiding. It's ridiculous.

As everybody else here is saying, these are shitty calculators, just ignore them. Take your data and go to experts for further analysis, and we got so many of them right here doing a great job for all of us for free, don't we?

sammymcgoff
08-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Check him at gedmatch.com for a better idea.

Population
East_European 4.83
West_European 7.73
Mediterranean 5.54
Neo_African -
West_Asian 5.41
South_Asian 58.71
Northeast_Asian 2.56
Southeast_Asian 9.74
East_African 1.33
Southwest_Asian 3.31
Northwest_African 0.39
Palaeo_African 0.45

I know this thread is for ancestry dna only, but here's his Dodecad v3 results

Censored
08-22-2018, 09:07 PM

I don't agree with how Ancestry decided to break down South Asia but I think that all of us getting 100% South Asian is a very useful first step for most commercial companies. To be able to break down South Asia further, you have to be able to establish that we're all South Asian first, and not 20% Central Asian, 6% East Asian, w/e.

You have to realize that these are commercial companies and laymen will take the results at face value. I have seen so many South Asians look at erroneous results and then claim to be Persian, Turkic, Euro, whatever. I don't know much about my family history, but part of my father's side are mixed Muslims, so if I saw 15% Central Asian, I'd be highly inclined to believe it was legit recent ancestry without even checking to see if these are normal results of a person from my area.

Dividing South Asia into reasonable categories is not easy. The high rate of endogamy means that going by a regional gradient isn't helpful. We have South Indian brahmins that are closer to the average for north India than South India. It's just way too much work for little reward, since most of their customers are Euro-Americans anyway.

Jatt1
08-23-2018, 10:43 AM
I don't agree with how Ancestry decided to break down South Asia but I think that all of us getting 100% South Asian is a very useful first step for most commercial companies. To be able to break down South Asia further, you have to be able to establish that we're all South Asian first, and not 20% Central Asian, 6% East Asian, w/e.

You have to realize that these are commercial companies and laymen will take the results at face value. I have seen so many South Asians look at erroneous results and then claim to be Persian, Turkic, Euro, whatever. I don't know much about my family history, but part of my father's side are mixed Muslims, so if I saw 15% Central Asian, I'd be highly inclined to believe it was legit recent ancestry without even checking to see if these are normal results of a person from my area.

Dividing South Asia into reasonable categories is not easy. The high rate of endogamy means that going by a regional gradient isn't helpful. We have South Indian brahmins that are closer to the average for north India than South India. It's just way too much work for little reward, since most of their customers are Euro-Americans anyway.

Come on man, don't we already know already that we are south Asians?

Jatt1
08-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Population
East_European 4.83
West_European 7.73
Mediterranean 5.54
Neo_African -
West_Asian 5.41
South_Asian 58.71
Northeast_Asian 2.56
Southeast_Asian 9.74
East_African 1.33
Southwest_Asian 3.31
Northwest_African 0.39
Palaeo_African 0.45

I know this thread is for ancestry dna only, but here's his Dodecad v3 results

Please post the Harappa world results and include oracles.

Censored
08-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Come on man, don't we already know already that we are south Asians?

Not all of us realize we are unlikely to be anything other than 100% South Asian. See this female’s prediction for example at 1:25 seconds:
https://youtu.be/ktng7Ede1Ls

poi
08-23-2018, 05:42 PM
Not all of us realize we are unlikely to be anything other than 100% South Asian. See this female’s prediction for example at 1:25 seconds:
https://youtu.be/ktng7Ede1Ls

Did she come out 50% East Asian from AncestryDNA?? LMAO. Is she full South Asian? I think her DNA might have been swapped with somebody else. Even my mom and mother-in-law(both had AncestryDNA kits) got East Asian in "low probability" category and all East Asian went to the "Central Asian" instead. You'd think we would be the only South Asian with a much greater chance for East Asian. She needs to ask for refund. Or get tested with Global25 so that we get her "correct" admixture :P

midichlorian
08-23-2018, 06:12 PM
Did she come out 50% East Asian from AncestryDNA?? LMAO. Is she full South Asian? I think her DNA might have been swapped with somebody else. Even my mom and mother-in-law(both had AncestryDNA kits) got East Asian in "low probability" category and all East Asian went to the "Central Asian" instead. You'd think we would be the only South Asian with a much greater chance for East Asian. She needs to ask for refund. Or get tested with Global25 so that we get her "correct" admixture :P

All's I know is that she's cute af doe.

08-23-2018, 06:35 PM

I see no lies here.

Censored
08-23-2018, 06:41 PM

To be honest I think so too, apparently she’s also getting tested with 23andme so well find out soon enough hopefully. Her parents are from Punjab, so she’s definitely full South Asian in spite of her predictions and the results being dubious(in this case).

My point is more about the prediction than the result, as I have seen many similar sentiments and those erroneous predictions can be sometimes confirmed by shit testing sites which can’t properly identify South Asians.

bmoney
08-24-2018, 01:22 AM

#nolie

Ancestral composition: 100% Cutistan 0% Unassigned

Censored
08-24-2018, 01:26 AM

I disagree with u guys. She is ok looking.

08-24-2018, 01:36 AM
#nolie

Ancestral composition: 100% Cutistan 0% Unassigned

Can you model this fit with ancients?

Soultalker5
08-24-2018, 09:27 PM
Hello Everyone! This is my first time on the forum and I wanted to share my husband and I updated results from AncestryDNA. I'm not sure what version of the test this is, but we got these results back in Feb 2018.

Southern Asian: 56%
Western/Central India: 44%
(My parents are from Trinidad)

My husband's results:
Southern Asian: 60%
Western/Central India: 39%
Cameroon, Congo, and Southern Bantu Peoples: 1%
(His mom is from Mumbai and his dad is from Hyderabad)

poi
08-24-2018, 09:34 PM
Hello Everyone! This is my first time on the forum and I wanted to share my husband and I updated results from AncestryDNA. I'm not sure what version of the test this is, but we got these results back in Feb 2018.

My husband's results:

Welcome to the forum! Just note that AncestryDNA's classification can be a bit crazy. Like Southern Asian versus Western/Central India... like wtf. But they also allow you to download the RAW file that you can upload to various free calculator websites. If you need help, just ask around. You will become expert in admixture of your family (and others) if you stick around this forum. :)

Lollybolly
08-24-2018, 09:40 PM

My husband's results:

Welcome! First, do not trust Ancestry's results. Their division of South Asia is outrageous and completely stupid in my opinion. Download your raw data on GEDmatch and you'll get much more accurate results for free. It seems that the "Western and Central India" component in Ancestry DNA is REALLY REALLY bad sampled. My ethnic group is from the NW (I am clearly West Asian shifted compared to the average SA) yet I score 100% Southern Asia. I am really wondering what type of population they used for their "Western India" component. Really really bad.

Censored
08-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Welcome! First, do not trust Ancestry's results. Their division of South Asia is outrageous and completely stupid in my opinion. Download your raw data on GEDmatch and you'll get much more accurate results for free. It seems that the "Western and Central India" component in Ancestry DNA is REALLY REALLY bad sampled. My ethnic group is from the NW (I am clearly West Asian shifted compared to the average SA) yet I score 100% Southern Asia. I am really wondering what type of population they used for their "Western India" component. Really really bad.

This is what happens when companies give in to people’s demands for higher specificity when the data is still scarce-absurd categorization.

Soultalker5
08-24-2018, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Wow, this DNA stuff is so confusing. I don't even know what to think. All I know is both my parents great-grand parents are from India. I pretty much haven't learnt anything new.
I do have my raw data uploaded in Gedmatch, but have no clue which calculator I should start with. Any direction would be so appreciate it. Thanks again!!!

Censored
08-24-2018, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Wow, this DNA stuff is so confusing. I don't even know what to think. All I know is both my parents great-grand parents are from India. I pretty much haven't learnt anything new.
I do have my raw data uploaded in Gedmatch, but have no clue which calculator I should start with. Any direction would be so appreciate it. Thanks again!!!

Harappa is always the first thing they ask.

bmoney
08-25-2018, 02:43 AM
Harappa and MDLP K16. Post your 'oracles' as well

poi
08-26-2018, 03:57 AM

If you don't mind, let me know the kits. I will run all calculators for you, compile the scores, and even plot where you fit I'm.

Adam A
08-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Not sure of the version. I am 1/4 from Mauritius and 1/4 from New Delhi.

sammymcgoff
08-26-2018, 06:55 PM
Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
1 S-Indian 53.71
2 Baloch 27.41
3 NE-Euro 4.49
4 SE-Asian 2.74
5 Mediterranean 2.70
6 Caucasian 2.36
7 Siberian 2.05
8 SW-Asian 1.80
9 Papuan 1.14

Finished reading population data. 377 populations found.
16 components mode.

--------------------------------

Least-squares method.

Using 1 population approximation:
1 sri-lankan_harappa @ 4.158412
2 south-african-indian_harappa @ 4.797119
3 caribbean-indian_harappa @ 5.205166
4 sourastrian_harappa @ 5.525273
5 kerala-muslim_harappa @ 6.375216
6 up-muslim_metspalu @ 6.578142
7 andhra-pradesh_harappa @ 6.615783
8 up-scheduled-caste_metspalu @ 6.676542
9 bihari_harappa @ 6.729301
10 sinhalese_harappa @ 7.002657
11 tamil_harappa @ 7.092580
12 tharu_metspalu @ 7.100173
13 kanjar_metspalu @ 7.219626
14 ap-hyderabad_harappa @ 7.331352
15 bengali_metspalu @ 7.401480
16 dharkar_metspalu @ 7.414266
17 srivastava_reich @ 7.522840
18 tharu_reich @ 7.711082
19 lambadi_metspalu @ 7.804921
20 lodi_reich @ 7.821113

Using 2 populations approximation:
1 50% south-african-indian_harappa +50% sri-lankan_harappa @ 2.433497

Using 3 populations approximation:
1 50% karnataka-brahmin_harappa +25% nihali_metspalu +25% sri-lankan_harappa @ 1.791314

Using 4 populations approximation:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 gond_metspalu + iyengar-brahmin_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa @ 1.641210
2 cochin-jew_behar + malayan_behar + oriya_harappa + oriya_harappa @ 1.662330
3 bihari-brahmin_harappa + nihali_metspalu + sri-lankan_harappa + tamil_harappa @ 1.677049
4 nihali_metspalu + punjabi-ramgarhia_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa + up-scheduled-caste_metspalu @ 1.694947
5 nihali_metspalu + rajasthani_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa + vaish_reich @ 1.700872
6 gond_metspalu + south-african-indian_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa + vaish_reich @ 1.705109
7 gond_metspalu + meghawal_reich + sri-lankan_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa @ 1.705787
8 ap-brahmin_xing + nihali_metspalu + sri-lankan_harappa + vaish_reich @ 1.708562
9 south-african-indian_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa + tharu_reich @ 1.709082
10 nihali_metspalu + sri-lankan_harappa + up_harappa + vaish_reich @ 1.714546
11 nihali_metspalu + sri-lankan_harappa + up_harappa + up-kshatriya_metspalu @ 1.725897
12 kerala-christian_harappa + nihali_metspalu + sri-lankan_harappa + vaish_reich @ 1.727934
13 ap-brahmin_xing + gond_metspalu + sri-lankan_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa @ 1.728131
14 kerala-nair_harappa + nihali_metspalu + sri-lankan_harappa + vaish_reich @ 1.752160
15 ap-brahmin_xing + karnataka-brahmin_harappa + nihali_metspalu + sri-lankan_harappa @ 1.777205
16 gond_metspalu + maharashtrian_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa @ 1.780581
17 gond_metspalu + karnataka-brahmin_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa @ 1.782284
18 bengali-brahmin_harappa + mala_reich + sri-lankan_harappa + sri-lankan_harappa @ 1.783382
19 andhra-pradesh_harappa + bihari-brahmin_harappa + nihali_metspalu + sri-lankan_harappa @ 1.791233
20 karnataka-brahmin_harappa + karnataka-brahmin_harappa + nihali_metspalu + sri-lankan_harappa @ 1.791314

My grandfather's HarappaWorld results on GEDMatch

Soultalker5
08-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Okay thank you. I will jump on that now. :beerchug:

Soultalker5
08-27-2018, 06:56 PM
Harappa and MDLP K16. Post your 'oracles' as well

Okay I will pull those reports and post them....here or in another thread? I am soooo thankful for the direction!!!

Soultalker5
08-27-2018, 06:59 PM
If you don't mind, let me know the kits. I will run all calculators for you, compile the scores, and even plot where you fit I'm.

Oh wow, thank you so much! I tried to send you a PM but looks like Im a few post short to send... How should I get them to you? I have myself, husband, sister-in-law and a 4th cousin who found me on Ancestry... I have permission to send the kit #s to you.

poi
08-27-2018, 07:57 PM
Oh wow, thank you so much! I tried to send you a PM but looks like Im a few post short to send... How should I get them to you? I have myself, husband, sister-in-law and a 4th cousin who found me on Ancestry... I have permission to send the kit #s to you.

If PM doesn't work for now, send them to [email protected]

Soultalker5
08-27-2018, 10:50 PM
If PM doesn't work for now, send them to

Okay I sent it to your email.. Thank you for helping me out!

spicyshuwa&empanadas
09-13-2018, 03:42 PM
Hi there everyone,

I checked my updated results today and found that my results had changed quite drastically. The biggest surprise was the incorporation of a little Balochi DNA. Being mixed (half Hyderabadi & half Colombian), I suppose it comes from my father's side but I'm not really sure where exactly.

In my research I have found some vague Persian/Afghani/Balochi ancestry but nothing definite. In addition, no one in my family is aware of any Balochi ancestry so yeah. Basically what I'd like to know is, is this component among people in the subcontinent common? Is it just noise? Perhaps it is too early to tell so, if anything, I'd like to initiate the conversation.

Cheers

Lollybolly
09-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Hi there everyone,

I checked my updated results today and found that my results had changed quite drastically. The biggest surprise was the incorporation of a little Balochi DNA. Being mixed (half Hyderabadi & half Colombian), I suppose it comes from my father's side but I'm not really sure where exactly.

In my research I have found some vague Persian/Afghani/Balochi ancestry but nothing definite. In addition, no one in my family is aware of any Balochi ancestry so yeah. Basically what I'd like to know is, is this component among people in the subcontinent common? Is it just noise? Perhaps it is too early to tell so, if anything, I'd like to initiate the conversation.

Cheers

I think it's due somewhat to do the bias of Ancestry DNA towards SA. I noticed that when someone is originally SA from both sides, they will get the same generic results. However, if you add a non-south Asian population to the genetic mix, then all of sudden, the results become much more colourful and include the entire globe.

jortita
09-14-2018, 01:56 AM
I got my updated results, and they did not base it on the survey. As i took the survey a minute before getting the results, they are completely off/wrong about my ancestry:

South Asian 58%

West and Central India 37%

Vietnam - SE Asia 5%

I have officially sent them a written complaint that my results are completely wrong and they need to reevaluate

poi
09-14-2018, 02:12 AM
Wow, after the update, my mom's previous 22% "Central Asian" is gone completely and her "South Asian" jumped to 99%. 1% being "Korea and North China".

Both my MotherInLaw and SisterInLaw are 100% SouthAsian. Gone are their Finland and EastAsian scores.

jortita
09-14-2018, 03:11 AM
Wow, after the update, my mom's previous 22% "Central Asian" is gone completely and her "South Asian" jumped to 99%. 1% being "Korea and North China".

Both my MotherInLaw and SisterInLaw are 100% SouthAsian. Gone are there Finland and EastAsian scores.

I think they are completely inaccurate for people in the Himalayan region, you get 99% South Asian while I got 58% South Asian, 37% West and Central India and 5% Vietnam, which I think is ridiculous and no Tai/Dai, their Tai/Dai is actually probably more austroasiatic Thai than Dai/Tai

poi
09-14-2018, 03:22 AM
I think they are completely inaccurate for people in the Himalayan region, you get 99% South Asian while I got 58% South Asian, 37% West and Central India and 5% Vietnam, which I think is ridiculous and no Tai/Dai, their Tai/Dai is actually probably more austroasiatic Thai than Dai/Tai

To be fair, Ancestry lists "Nepal" as part of "South Asian", so it is possible that they are grouping TB and AA groups as "South Asian" via those groups. 23andme is doing similar but their "Nepal" group looks exclusively Nepali Brahmins as Chettris are getting at most 90% SouthAsian and groups like Tamangs are getting 0% SouthAsian.

jortita
09-14-2018, 06:44 AM
To be fair, Ancestry lists "Nepal" as part of "South Asian", so it is possible that they are grouping TB and AA groups as "South Asian" via those groups. 23andme is doing similar but their "Nepal" group looks exclusively Nepali Brahmins as Chettris are getting at most 90% SouthAsian and groups like Tamangs are getting 0% SouthAsian.

Then why are people who are 25% Southeast Asian origin with AA and Dai ancestry and the remaining being South Asian Mauritian ancestry getting 25% instead of 5%. I think their problem is telling apart South Asian ancestry from SE Asian and generalising atleast my ancestry as South Asian. They do not include Myanmar or parts of Southern China under South Asia which is what some of my ancestry is related to.

Zuran
09-14-2018, 10:17 PM

Sapporo
09-14-2018, 11:00 PM

Mines is the same as well now.

jortita
09-15-2018, 08:32 AM
I personally think ancestry with the update is now worse than the previous version of 23andMe

agent_lime
09-15-2018, 12:41 PM
I am 100% Southern Asian now.

It's full of crap now.

Lollybolly
09-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Mines is the same as well now.

Same! 100% "Southern Asia" without Gujarat and Sindh (because of course these are completely different populations that must be classified in a different category) ... Knowing that I am genetically close to Sindhi... wtf?

09-17-2018, 09:15 PM
Same! 100% "Southern Asia" without Gujarat and Sindh (because of course these are completely different populations that must be classified in a different category) ... Knowing that I am genetically close to Sindhi... wtf?

I don't understand why Gujarat is the one thing they exclude. Pretty pathetic IMO.

Amber29
09-22-2018, 11:57 PM

I have the same result 100% south asia without the west and central indian! lol.

Kart
11-28-2018, 10:46 PM

winsome
12-01-2018, 08:07 AM

Still not a 💯

agent_lime
12-03-2018, 11:44 AM

Amber29
12-03-2018, 12:02 PM

is that yours updated?

agent_lime
12-03-2018, 12:43 PM
is that yours updated?

Yes. Almost useless now.

Amber29
12-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Yes. Almost useless now.

you have like three layers of the same thing, looks confusing

agent_lime
12-03-2018, 02:40 PM
you have like three layers of the same thing, looks confusing

I'm thinking it means majority of ancestry is from North Indian and Pakistan. Very little from Gujarat and the rest of India. But there isn't any explanation. So hard to say.

Amber29
12-04-2018, 05:57 PM
is that yours updated?

I have the same update as you lol! i dont even know what to think of it :/

Amber29
12-04-2018, 05:58 PM

I have the same one as you now its just abit more updated

tipirneni
01-07-2019, 03:57 AM
50% South Asia
50% Western India/Central India28195

sammymcgoff
01-07-2019, 04:39 PM
My Indian grandfather's updated results are 52% Southern Asian, 47% Western and central India and 1% Norway. He did grow up speaking English rather than Hindi, but the Norway was still a surprise

agent_lime
01-07-2019, 04:53 PM
My Indian grandfather's updated results are 52% Southern Asian, 47% Western and central India and 1% Norway. He did grow up speaking English rather than Hindi, but the Norway was still a surprise

That's an odd result. Even the North shifted folks are getting 100% South Asian. Would you mind posting his harappa..?

Kart
01-07-2019, 05:10 PM

is your grandparent Marathi?

sammymcgoff
01-08-2019, 10:04 PM
That's an odd result. Even the North shifted folks are getting 100% South Asian. Would you mind posting his harappa..?

Here's his Harappa results.

Population
S-Indian 53.70 Pct
Baloch 27.41 Pct
Caucasian 2.36 Pct
NE-Euro 4.50 Pct
SE-Asian 2.77 Pct
Siberian 2.06 Pct
NE-Asian 0.69 Pct
Papuan 1.14 Pct
American 0.45 Pct
Beringian 0.05 Pct
Mediterranean 2.71 Pct
SW-Asian 1.80 Pct
San -
E-African 0.37 Pct
Pygmy -
W-African -

poi
01-08-2019, 10:48 PM
Ancestry has this weird "Western and central India". I think that could be more IVC shifted versus the "regular" South Asia. Just a guess. I have 4 family members' kits through ancestry and all get 99-100% "South Asia".

Sapporo
01-08-2019, 11:18 PM
Ancestry has this weird "Western and central India". I think that could be more IVC shifted versus the "regular" South Asia. Just a guess. I have 4 family members' kits through ancestry and all get 99-100% "South Asia".

I’m pretty sure the Ancestry DNA proxy for South Asian is some combo of Punjabis and Sindhis. Hence, NW users scoring nearly 100% South Asian quite frequently while other South Asians are scoring South Asian + West/Central Indian, Oceanian, SE Asia, etc.

Even most Pashtuns on Ancestry DNA are scoring 65-80% South Asian.

poi
01-08-2019, 11:42 PM
I’m pretty sure the Ancestry DNA proxy for South Asian is some combo of Punjabis and Sindhis. Hence, NW users scoring nearly 100% South Asian quite frequently while other South Asians are scoring South Asian + West/Central Indian, Oceanian, SE Asia, etc.

Even most Pashtuns on Ancestry DNA are scoring 65-80% South Asian.

Sounds like they could use better terminology than "Western and Central India" if indeed they exclude Sindhis, who would literally be "Western Indian". It seems odd that very northern pops are "South Asian", but Southerners are "West and Central Indian". /rant

Sapporo
01-08-2019, 11:55 PM
Sounds like they could use better terminology than "Western and Central India" if indeed they exclude Sindhis, who would literally be "Western Indian". It seems odd that very northern pops are "South Asian", but Southerners are "West and Central Indian". /rant

Yeah, it makes no sense geographically but I imagine that West & Central Indian didn't work for Sindhis since most Gujaratis don't really cluster with Sindhis outside of those with Sindhi origins such as Lohana or some Gujarati Brahmins.

MuslimPatel123
01-09-2019, 01:44 AM
Yeah, it makes no sense geographically but I imagine that West & Central Indian didn't work for Sindhis since most Gujaratis don't really cluster with Sindhis outside of those with Sindhi origins such as Lohana or some Gujarati Brahmins.

It didn't work much for me either, and Bharuch is pretty far from Sindh.

https://i.imgur.com/s31spYa.png

bmoney
01-09-2019, 01:48 AM
Here's his Harappa results.

Population
S-Indian 53.70 Pct
Baloch 27.41 Pct
Caucasian 2.36 Pct
NE-Euro 4.50 Pct
SE-Asian 2.77 Pct
Siberian 2.06 Pct
NE-Asian 0.69 Pct
Papuan 1.14 Pct
American 0.45 Pct
Beringian 0.05 Pct
Mediterranean 2.71 Pct
SW-Asian 1.80 Pct
San -
E-African 0.37 Pct
Pygmy -
W-African -

He has a very low Baloch+Caucasian to NE Euro+Med ratio could you post his single oracle? seems eastern Gangetic to me

Sapporo
01-09-2019, 01:49 AM
It didn't work much for me either, and Bharuch is pretty far from Sindh.

That makes sense considering you are also pretty distinct from most other Gujaratis and have a prominent West Asian shift in your GEDMatch oracles, which pulls you toward groups such as Muslim Sindhis.

scobar
05-10-2019, 01:20 AM
My Ancestry V2 results

Lollybolly
09-02-2019, 03:07 PM
The Ancestry Alpha Update is pretty shitty tbh. It gives me 89% Pakistan 8% India North and 3% India South (0% at low confidence). What's the point of creating "Pakistan" as a category? Pakistan is a nationality, not an ethnicity.

agent_lime
09-02-2019, 03:34 PM
The Ancestry Alpha Update is pretty shitty tbh. It gives me 89% Pakistan 8% India North and 3% India South (0% at low confidence). What's the point of creating "Pakistan" as a category? Pakistan is a nationality, not an ethnicity.

How can I see these results?

Lollybolly
09-02-2019, 03:49 PM
https://www.ancestry.com/dna/secure/tests/input your ID number here/ethnicity?v=2019

Lollybolly
09-02-2019, 03:50 PM
The ID number is the long series of number that appears in your ancestry dna results webpage

agent_lime
09-02-2019, 04:05 PM
The ID number is the long series of number that appears in your ancestry dna results webpage

Thanks bro. They locked it down. I looked on reddit. I'll have to wait, but I'll probably be similar to you.

Lollybolly
09-02-2019, 04:34 PM
Thanks bro. They locked it down. I looked on reddit. I'll have to wait, but I'll probably be similar to you.

It's still works:https://www.ancestry.com/dna/secure/tests/_____/ethnicity?v=2019. Just replace the blank with your ID and you'll get your results.

ssamlal
09-02-2019, 05:04 PM
My Alpha update results:

{"version":2019,"regions":[{"color":"#f1e000","key":"IndiaSouth","lowConfidenceAssignment":false,"lowerConfidence":56,"percentage":73,"upperConfidence":84},{"color":"#75cd00","key":"IndiaNorth","lowConfidenceAssignment":false,"lowerConfidence":25,"percentage":27,"upperConfidence":29}],"mismatch":false}

Assuming that I'm parsing the above correctly:

India South - 73 %
India North - 27 %

agent_lime
09-02-2019, 08:21 PM
It's still works:https://www.ancestry.com/dna/secure/tests/_____/ethnicity?v=2019. Just replace the blank with your ID and you'll get your results.

{"version":2019,"regions":[{"color":"#f1e000","key":"Pakistan","lowConfidenceAssignment":false,"lowerConfidence":65,"percentage":68,"upperConfidence":100},{"color":"#75cd00","key":"IndiaNorth","lowConfidenceAssignment":false,"lowerConfidence":31,"percentage":32,"upperConfidence":34}],"mismatch":false}

Lollybolly
09-02-2019, 08:42 PM
{"version":2019,"regions":[{"color":"#f1e000","key":"Pakistan","lowConfidenceAssignment":false,"lowerConfidence":65,"percentage":68,"upperConfidence":100},{"color":"#75cd00","key":"IndiaNorth","lowConfidenceAssignment":false,"lowerConfidence":31,"percentage":32,"upperConfidence":34}],"mismatch":false}

How are we getting so different results?

agent_lime
09-02-2019, 09:25 PM

Bad calculator. They probably have different criteria.

kush
09-03-2019, 05:36 AM
I'm a pure thambi :D

South India - 100%

"IndiaSouth","lowConfidenceAssignment":false,"lowerConfidence":100,"percentage":100,"upperConfidence":100

MonkeyDLuffy
09-03-2019, 08:08 AM
I'm a pure thambi :D

South India - 100%

"IndiaSouth","lowConfidenceAssignment":false,"lowerConfidence":100,"percentage":100,"upperConfidence":100

Super!

agent_lime
10-21-2019, 01:15 PM

Got this updated. Can some Punjabis/ Pakistanis/ Pashtuns post their new ones?

https://i.imgur.com/7Yp7arZ.png

agent_lime
10-21-2019, 01:16 PM

I've thought about it. I probably have a lot of upwardly mobile DNA relatives in India vs you. See my range on Central Asia South.

68%
Your ethnicity estimate is 68%, but it can range from 65--100%

Amber29
10-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Mine n sis2

Dad

Bro

Sis1

Mum

Lollybolly
10-21-2019, 02:20 PM
34024 Ancestry is so much bullshit. Why am I scoring Southern Indian? Is it because of my slight siberian/east asian shift which was classified under "eastern India"?

agent_lime
10-21-2019, 02:28 PM
34024 Ancestry is so much bullshit. Why am I scoring Southern Indian? Is it because of my slight siberian/east asian shift which was classified under "eastern India"?

Guessing the original Lohana mixed a little into mid caste Gujaratis. Even though our genetic profiles are similar you might have 1/32 ancestors as a Patel like profile plus even a few as Pashtun type. It is probably matching some segments with the inhabitants in that area.

tipirneni
10-21-2019, 02:31 PM
Didn't change much.
50/50 West/Central & South Asia34025

kush
10-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Mine didn't change. Its the same. I had this update like last year itself where it took out my melanesian/east asian and stuff. But they didnt update anything since then. Would be nice if they gave updates with regional division like south india, north india, etc similar to what northern south asians got.. Me and tipirneni just got a broad south asian percentage from afghanistan to south india with random western indian reference from gujarat.

66% Southern Asia
34% West/central india

https://i.imgur.com/mpPjYRE.png

JFWinstone
10-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Our South Asian changed from Southern Asia to Southern & Eastern India

Pakistani match changed from 100% Southern Asia to 93% Central Asia - South, 7% Northern & Western India.

https://i.imgur.com/6WZg5Wy.png

tipirneni
10-21-2019, 08:30 PM
Our South Asian changed from Southern Asia to Southern & Eastern India

Pakistani match changed from 100% Southern Asia to 93% Central Asia - South, 7% Northern & Western India.

https://i.imgur.com/6WZg5Wy.png

You have higher SouthEast Asian since that part of South Asia is mixed with Munda people who are Austroausiatic

agent_lime
10-22-2019, 03:40 AM
Mine didn't change. Its the same. I had this update like last year itself where it took out my melanesian/east asian and stuff. But they didnt update anything since then. Would be nice if they gave updates with regional division like south india, north india, etc similar to what northern south asians got.. Me and tipirneni just got a broad south asian percentage from afghanistan to south india with random western indian reference from gujarat.

66% Southern Asia
34% West/central india

https://i.imgur.com/mpPjYRE.png

You haven't gotten the update yet. This is the old style map..

spicyshuwa&empanadas
10-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Here are my updated results

I'm half Hyderabadi-Omani and half Colombian

Here is the old version

agent_lime
10-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Here are my updated results

I'm half Hyderabadi-Omani and half Colombian

Here is the old version

So one parent is a mix of Hyderabadi and Omani? These results don't show 25% Middle Eastern.

Censored
10-23-2019, 11:42 PM
So one parent is a mix of Hyderabadi and Omani? These results don't show 25% Middle Eastern.

His father was an Omani of Hydrabadi Muslim descent.

Sapporo
10-27-2019, 12:13 PM
My results are a bit different in comparison to agent_lime or Amber's family. At least more than expected. Only reason I could think of is there might be different types of Punjabi samples in Central Asia - South, which includes all of Pakistan and the Punjabi samples possibly in Northern and Western India? I wonder if they take into consideration whether someone claims ancestry/grandparents from Pakistani Punjab/AJK vs. Indian Punjab.

That would explain the GED Match/Global 25 discrepancy vs. Ancestry DNA? Any other ideas?

Here is also the results of a Pakistani who is half Pashtun (his father is a tribal Daudzai from a rural village outside Peshawar) and half Punjabi Awan from Gujar Khan. So, his results are confusing me too. :\

10-28-2019, 03:55 AM
My results are a bit different in comparison to agent_lime or Amber's family. At least more than expected. Only reason I could think of is there might be different types of Punjabi samples in Central Asia - South, which includes all of Pakistan and the Punjabi samples possibly in Northern and Western India? I wonder if they take into consideration whether someone claims ancestry/grandparents from Pakistani Punjab/AJK vs. Indian Punjab.

That would explain the GED Match/Global 25 discrepancy vs. Ancestry DNA? Any other ideas?

Here is also the results of a Pakistani who is half Pashtun (his father is a tribal Daudzai from a rural village outside Peshawar) and half Punjabi Awan from Gujar Khan. So, his results are confusing me too. :\

I think to some degree the groupings will be arbitrary. That would best explain it. I mean Pak Punjab and India Punjab have a lot of people who are ethnically very similar, but Ancestry delineates between them, as seen with the color-coding. It would require an actual understanding of south asian genetics to understand where/how to separate ancestry and how futile it is to some extent, as seen by the intra-ethnic diversity in a place like Punjab itself.

agent_lime
10-28-2019, 06:29 AM
I think to some degree the groupings will be arbitrary. That would best explain it. I mean Pak Punjab and India Punjab have a lot of people who are ethnically very similar, but Ancestry delineates between them, as seen with the color-coding. It would require an actual understanding of south asian genetics to understand where/how to separate ancestry and how futile it is to some extent, as seen by the intra-ethnic diversity in a place like Punjab itself.

I think it's DNA relatives. Indian Punjabis have less chance of having relatives in Pakistan vs look at Lollybolly who is coming out as mostly Central Asia South.

MonkeyDLuffy
10-28-2019, 08:20 AM
I think it's DNA relatives. Indian Punjabis have less chance of having relatives in Pakistan vs look at Lollybolly who is coming out as mostly Central Asia South.

Actually Indian Punjabis have high chances of having relatives in Pak Punjab, considering the huge migration that happened during 1947. I get a lot of Pakistani Punjabis on gedmatch, although it's hard to tell their biradaris because of random Islamic names they have.

Sapporo
10-28-2019, 09:50 AM
As an update to show how bogus Ancestry DNA's update is:

Some of my closest Ancestry DNA matches:

New Hansra 3-4th cousin:
77% Northern and Western India
23% Central Asia South

4th to 6th Hayer cousin:
37% Northern and Western India
63% Central Asia South

4th to 6th Sandhu cousin:
46% Northern and Western India
52% Central Asia South
2% Southern and Eastern India

4th to 6th Johal cousin:
50% Northern and Western India
50% Central Asia South

4th to 6th Gill cousin:
36% Northern and Western India
64% Central Asia South

4th to 6th Bains cousin:
59% Northern and Western India
41% Central Asia South

The Sandhu scores identical to a few Haryana Jatt on Harappa and the Gill is the former member pgill from this forum who scores nearly identical to me on admixture calcs.

agent_lime
10-28-2019, 01:17 PM
Actually Indian Punjabis have high chances of having relatives in Pak Punjab, considering the huge migration that happened during 1947. I get a lot of Pakistani Punjabis on gedmatch, although it's hard to tell their biradaris because of random Islamic names they have.

I am not sure I agree. 3 out of 4 of my grandparents are from now in Pakistan; 1 was born a few kms away in Poonch. Lollybolly and Amber have full roots in Pakistan. The thing that it even more confounding is Jats have about as much steppe as anyone in Pakistani Punjab if not more. Kashmiris that are Indian citizens are also similar to biradri Pakistani Punjabis. So my guess stays that they are segment matching from your place of birth and don't care where your genetics are from outside of the last 3 gens. In which case the results although confounding and frankly stupid make sense. What would make sense is that they make Indian Punjab, Kashmir and Haryana as one region along with most of Pakistani Punjab. Separate the Baloch with Southern Iranics. Eastern Afghans can be separated with areas near Peshawar and Chitral.

They have made arbitrary divisions without much genetic difference, if any.

agent_lime
10-28-2019, 01:34 PM
On the topic of Pashtuns, the Pakistani ones seem very similar to Kamboj. The Afghanistan ones have about half AASI and more MLBA Steppe. Are these folks Northern Indus populations that got colonized by the Afghan empires?

https://i.imgur.com/ZWZpVqG.png

Censored
10-29-2019, 04:00 AM
I am not sure I agree. 3 out of 4 of my grandparents are from now in Pakistan; 1 was born a few kms away in Poonch. Lollybolly and Amber have full roots in Pakistan. The thing that it even more confounding is Jats have about as much steppe as anyone in Pakistani Punjab if not more. Kashmiris that are Indian citizens are also similar to biradri Pakistani Punjabis. So my guess stays that they are segment matching from your place of birth and don't care where your genetics are from outside of the last 3 gens. In which case the results although confounding and frankly stupid make sense. What would make sense is that they make Indian Punjab, Kashmir and Haryana as one region along with most of Pakistani Punjab. Separate the Baloch with Southern Iranics. Eastern Afghans can be separated with areas near Peshawar and Chitral.

The Pakistani ones have been mixing more with Pashtuns and Balochis but also PJL types. So while there is not much of a difference on an autosomal level it shows up on 23andme or AncestryDNA anyway due to their sampling methods. It's the EXACT same reason why a lot of southern bramans are getting like 80-90% South Indians with little anything else while I get a hefty amount of north Indian despite actually being more south shifted than them.

agent_lime
10-29-2019, 04:25 AM
The Pakistani ones have been mixing more with Pashtuns and Balochis but also PJL types. So while there is not much of a difference on an autosomal level it shows up on 23andme or AncestryDNA anyway due to their sampling methods. It's the EXACT same reason why a lot of southern bramans are getting like 80-90% South Indians with little anything else while I get a hefty amount of north Indian despite actually being more south shifted than them.

Yup, we have to consider the genetics of Punjabi Lahore types that could be less common in Indian Punjab, and certainly the Indian Biradris aren't mixing with them readily. And yes they are also mixing with Pashtuns and Balochis. They DON'T care how much Steppe MLBA or Iran_N or AASI you have.

pegasus
10-29-2019, 06:28 AM
On the topic of Pashtuns, the Pakistani ones seem very similar to Kamboj. The Afghanistan ones have about half AASI and more MLBA Steppe. Are these folks Northern Indus populations that got colonized by the Afghan empires?

https://i.imgur.com/ZWZpVqG.png

There are only 3 Afghan pashtuns on G25 one of which is a clear outlier (Af 20 looks partially Uzbek mixed) . Not at all Barnacle and Velvet are from areas much 200-300 km west from Swat/Dir and they are essentially the same, Mingle is even more Western shifted than both of them. They were was no colonization they are essentially locals who get further Steppe and ANF from Kushans and/ or other East Iranic groups and there is just way too many of them and a complex clan structure to argue a Medieval intrusion. Ghaznavid 2959 is a local in the region , the other one is not.

Sapporo
10-29-2019, 02:20 PM

It's not a Pakistani versus Afghan thing. Pashtuns have a North-South cline where Northerners are more Dardic or Indo-Aryan shifted (essentially higher IVC shift) while Southerners are less IVC and more BMAC shifted. Central ones seem to be closer to their Southern counterparts with a little extra Steppe shift (though we don't have any large set of Central samples and are relying on 2-3 user provided kits including a Chamkani/his family settled in Kabul and an Ormuri from South Waziristan who isn't technically a Pashtun). Also, it's worth noting that the HGDP Pashtun samples in G25 include some of the more Kohistani/Khatri shifted individuals. From examining the Harappa scores of the HGDP Pashtun dataset, HGDP00226 and HGDP00234 are probably the most representative of the average Northern Pashtun (and would score around 11-12% AASI in your run).

The academic Afghan Pashtuns in G25 are from the Di Cristofaro study and were collected from around Kunduz/Baghlan provinces. They are likely some mix of Ghilzai/Durrani originally from the Central/Southern regions of the Pashtun belt who were banished to the North by certain Afghan rulers (Pashtuns aren't native to these provinces). It's possible they have minor Uzbek/Turkmen/Northern Afghan Tajik admixture.

At least that is what I've seen suggested by someone more familiar with the region/demographics.

bol_nat
10-29-2019, 02:45 PM
As an update to show how bogus Ancestry DNA's update is:

Some of my closest Ancestry DNA matches:

New Hansra 3-4th cousin:
77% Northern and Western India
23% Central Asia South

4th to 6th Hayer cousin:
37% Northern and Western India
63% Central Asia South

52% Central Asia South

4th to 6th Johal cousin:
50% Northern and Western India
50% Central Asia South

4th to 6th Gill cousin:
36% Northern and Western India
64% Central Asia South

4th to 6th Bains cousin:
59% Northern and Western India
41% Central Asia South

The Sandhu scores identical to a few Haryana Jatt on Harappa and the Gill is the former member pgill from this forum who scores nearly identical to me on admixture calcs.

Its hard to guess on what basis they are scoring because its all over the place.

kakiasumi
10-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Eastern Afghans can be separated with areas near Peshawar and Chitral.

To be particular which Districts of KPK and which provinces of Afghanistan you would include in this group?

agent_lime
10-29-2019, 04:23 PM
To be particular which Districts of KPK and which provinces of Afghanistan you would include in this group?

I don't frankly know enough to call out districts. My point is the Pashtuns can be be divided with the Eastern Afghans. The Afghans that have Uzbek and Iranic blood can be separated. And I realize it is all a gradient so obviously the Pakistani Pashtuns carry more AASI, and less ANF.

laltota
10-29-2019, 08:35 PM

Lollybolly has roots in Pakistan? I thought he is from Gujarat, India?

poi
10-30-2019, 03:02 AM
Drastic differences:

Mother-in-law:

Northern & Western India: 96%
Central Asia—South: 4%

Mom:

Northern & Western India: 62%
Southern & Eastern India: 30%
Central Asia—South: 8%

Sapporo
10-30-2019, 03:25 AM
Lollybolly has roots in Pakistan? I thought he is from Gujarat, India?

Pakistan has a large population of native and migrant (from Kutch) Khoja and Memons who are ethnically identical to Lollybolly.

passion
10-30-2019, 03:34 AM
Pakistan has a large population of native and migrant (from Kutch) Khoja and Memons who are ethnically identical to Lollybolly.

yeah lots of muhajirs are memon/khojas ismaelis/lohanas from gujarat, India, most famous is non other than county's foremost intellectual, Dr pervez Hoodbhoy.They generally dominate Karachi's stock exchange.

https://dailytimes.com.pk/assets/uploads/2018/03/25/keynote-speaker-pervez-hoodbhoy.jpg

Sapporo
10-30-2019, 04:06 AM

Most if not all of Northern/Central KPK (Chitral, Dir, Swat, Kohistan, Manshera, Swabi, Abbottabad, Malakand, Charsadda, Peshawar, Kohat, Bajuar Agency, Mohmand Agency, Khyber Agency, Orakzai Agency and Kurram Agency, etc) fall into the Northern Pashtun cluster. Bannu, Karak and North Waziristan will at least partially fall into this as well. I’m less sure about South Waziristan, Tank and Lakki Marwat as I haven’t seen data from there other than an Ormuri. I’d consider them falling into the Central Pashtun cluster though. North Balochistan (Quetta) is closer to Southern Pashtuns in Kandahar and surrounding provinces.

For Afghanistan, the provinces falling into the Northern KPK/Central KPK grouping are the N2KL provinces Nangarhar, Nuristsn, Kunar and Laghman. Some individuals from Kabul (including some Tajiks) will fall into this group as well. There is not enough data from Khost or Paktia. They might have some individuals in this group as well. In some cases, it might be tribe dependent as tribes have migrated/relocated over time.

bol_nat
10-30-2019, 04:18 AM
This is how they include someone in reference population

"A reference panel is made up of people with a long family history in one place or as part of one group. To make it into the AncestryDNA reference panel, these folks need two things. First, they need a paper trail that proves their family history. Then, they must have their ethnicity confirmed at the DNA level. It is not easy to make it into the panel!To tell your DNA story, we compare your DNA to the people in the reference panel and look for DNA you share. If some of your DNA is similar to the DNA of folks from Senegal, for example, we assign that part of your DNA to our Senegal region. And so on until we have looked at your whole DNA sample.On your results list, regions based on the reference panel have a solid-circle icon that looks like this:"

Amber29
10-30-2019, 07:23 AM
This is how they include someone in reference population

"A reference panel is made up of people with a long family history in one place or as part of one group. To make it into the AncestryDNA reference panel, these folks need two things. First, they need a paper trail that proves their family history. Then, they must have their ethnicity confirmed at the DNA level. It is not easy to make it into the panel!To tell your DNA story, we compare your DNA to the people in the reference panel and look for DNA you share. If some of your DNA is similar to the DNA of folks from Senegal, for example, we assign that part of your DNA to our Senegal region. And so on until we have looked at your whole DNA sample.On your results list, regions based on the reference panel have a solid-circle icon that looks like this:"

We dont even have a papertrail how does that work LOL

agent_lime
10-30-2019, 08:05 AM
Found someone on the Ancestry subreddit. She is asking why she is not more Central Asian.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AncestryDNA/comments/dobf00/can_someone_help_me_analyze_my_results_i_have/

Her Harappa results-

Can someone help me analyze my results? I have already uploaded my data to, Family Tree DNA, Myheritage, Gedmatch. How can I be more Northern and Western India when my family are Punjabis from Pakistan and I know that they have always been living in the Pakistani region. I should be more Central Asi

My HarappaWorld results: S-Indian 34.92 Pct - Baloch 37.35 Pct - Caucasian12.84 Pct - NE-Euro 6.87 Pct - SE-Asian 0.80 Pct - Siberian 0.62 Pct - NE-Asian 0.51 Pct - Papuan 0.27 Pct - American 1.63 Pct - Beringian 0.82 Pct - Mediterranean 1.56 Pct - SW-Asian - 1.82 Pct

Sapporo
10-30-2019, 09:05 AM
@LollyBolly

I’m assuming you’re ibfreak on reddit. You’re wrong about Ancestry DNA’s algorithm. I have a cousin scoring like 1.4% more SI than you on Harappa yet scores like this on Ancestry DNA:

52% Central Asia South

Even agent lime scores much more Northern and Western India than you while scoring like 1.4% more SI than you as well. It’s partially compensated by your higher Southern and Eastern India but it’s still a far too large of a discrepancy. Ancestry DNA’s algorithm is clearly broken. Even their algorithm explanation is vague. Either way, their division of Pakistan & NW India (including Kutch) into separate groupings is clearly problematic as this region has a complicated and shared population history.

pegasus
10-30-2019, 09:48 AM
Found someone on the Ancestry subreddit. She is asking why she is not more Central Asian.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AncestryDNA/comments/dobf00/can_someone_help_me_analyze_my_results_i_have/

Her Harappa results-

Is she retarded?

Lollybolly
10-30-2019, 09:51 AM
@LollyBolly

I’m assuming you’re ibfreak on reddit. You’re wrong about Ancestry DNA’s algorithm. I have a cousin scoring like 1.4% more SI than you on Harappa yet scores like this on Ancestry DNA:

52% Central Asia South

Even agent lime scores much more Northern and Western India than you while scoring like 1.4% more SI than you as well. It’s partially compensated by your higher Southern and Eastern India but it’s still a far too large of a discrepancy. Ancestry DNA’s algorithm is clearly broken. Even their algorithm explanation is vague. Either way, their division of Pakistan & NW India (including Kutch) into separate groupings is clearly problematic as this region has a complicated and shared population history.

I mean there should be some sort of consistency no? is there a detailed breakdown of what ethnic groups is contained in each of these categories?

agent_lime
10-30-2019, 12:17 PM
Is she retarded?

I came here thinking we might have some British mixing, especially since my great granddad used to practice law in London; his wife has said to never do any domestic work and was very fair. Even my idea of Punjabi has been questioned since I am very much like some of inhabitants of NWFP. I think she is just ignorant. That's it.

kakiasumi
10-30-2019, 12:39 PM
Most if not all of Northern/Central KPK (Chitral, Dir, Swat, Kohistan, Manshera, Swabi, Abbottabad, Malakand, Charsadda, Peshawar, Kohat, Bajuar Agency, Mohmand Agency, Khyber Agency, Orakzai Agency and Kurram Agency, etc) fall into the Northern Pashtun cluster. Bannu, Karak and North Waziristan will at least partially fall into this as well. I’m less sure about South Waziristan, Tank and Lakki Marwat as I haven’t seen data from there other than an Ormuri. I’d consider them falling into the Central Pashtun cluster though. North Balochistan (Quetta) is closer to Southern Pashtuns in Kandahar and surrounding provinces.

For Afghanistan, the provinces falling into the Northern KPK/Central KPK grouping are the N2KL provinces Nangarhar, Nuristsn, Kunar and Laghman. Some individuals from Kabul (including some Tajiks) will fall into this group as well. There is not enough data from Khost or Paktia. They might have some individuals in this group as well. In some cases, it might be tribe dependent as tribes have migrated/relocated over time.

Thank you for your opinion. Can you give a link to harrappa world scorecard of Afghan Pashtoons. Just want to know how different they are?

Adam A
10-30-2019, 01:28 PM
I like the update and feel it was much needed for South Asians. But the categorisations throw me off a little, what ethnicities would possibly be encompassed under ‘Central Asia - South’?

https://i.imgur.com/dtaNX8b_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Adam A
10-30-2019, 01:50 PM
Mine n sis2

Dad

Bro

Sis1

Mum

Incredible how you managed to get so many of your fam tested. Thanks for sharing

Deftextra
10-30-2019, 02:32 PM
Looks like my old 20% South Asian percentage has split into, North&Western India, Iran/Persia and Southern& Eastern India.

Adam A
10-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Looks like my old 20% South Asian percentage has split into, North&Western India, Iran/Persia and Southern& Eastern India.

Did you know about South Asian ancestry beforehand? I think I saw another Somali on youtube who also scored significant South Asian

Deftextra
10-30-2019, 03:02 PM
Did you know about South Asian ancestry beforehand? I think I saw another Somali on youtube who also scored significant South Asian

Nope. I was not expecting any South-Asian ancestry since it was never mentioned to me, however, I was also not that surprised, since some sections of my family have obvious South-Asian appearances. I am Benadiri Somali, A city dweller community inhabiting three towns in a 200KM coastal strip in southern-Somalia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benadiri_people.

pnb123
10-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Drastic differences:

Mother-in-law:

Northern & Western India: 96%
Central Asia—South: 4%

Mom:

Northern & Western India: 62%
Southern & Eastern India: 30%
Central Asia—South: 8%

Their algorithm is definitely broken.

passion
10-31-2019, 04:11 AM
Is she retarded?

many real life people tend to be very ignorant about race , genetics and geography and other stuff. I have some second generation cousins in USA , they told me many people think Pakistanis are called Pakistani arabs and Pakistanians.

Sapporo
10-31-2019, 12:59 PM
Thank you for your opinion. Can you give a link to harrappa world scorecard of Afghan Pashtoons. Just want to know how different they are?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mTH_BnLv9riKKwHeNpjFmu7flT6_ekTuYij0juxnjb4/edit?pli=1#gid=557474067

Scroll to the sheet/tab labeled Pashtun Gedmatch Kit Harappa. If your review some of the tabs further right of it, you'll also see the results of academic Pakistani Pashtun samples collected from Dir/Swat (Yusufzai, Uthmankhel and Tarkalani) and Kurram Agency (HGDP).

Also, I'd add that Kapisa province in Afghanistan is likely part of the Northern Pashtun cluster alongside the N2KL provinces (Nangarhar, Nuristan, Kunar and Laghman).

kush
11-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Finally they updated my results.

https://i.imgur.com/WG4QoC9.png

ssamlal
11-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Updated results for my family and I. Not sure how to interpret the disparity between our results.

Censored
11-14-2019, 10:25 PM
many real life people tend to be very ignorant about race , genetics and geography and other stuff. I have some second generation cousins in USA , they told me many people think Pakistanis are called Pakistani arabs and Pakistanians.

Lol yeah. If I had to guess I’d say most of the US population thinks Pakistan is in the Middle East while a substantial number also thinks India is as well.

jortita
11-16-2019, 11:54 PM
Crazy and incorrect updated results, 99% southern and eastern indian, 1% Southeast Asian. Ethnogene is the most accurate for me

kush
11-17-2019, 12:06 AM
Crazy and incorrect updated results, 99% southern and eastern indian, 1% Southeast Asian. Ethnogene is the most accurate for me

do they have caste system in assam similar to mainland? i know groups like baruahs, kalitas, goswamis, etc. are they brahmins mostly? also what percentage of assam is split between indo aryan and bodo/mongoloid descent?

jortita
11-17-2019, 12:10 AM
do they have caste system in assam similar to mainland? i know groups like baruahs, kalitas, goswamis, etc. are they brahmins mostly? also what percentage of assam is split between indo aryan and bodo/mongoloid descent?

The only caste traditionally we have is brahmin and kalita in lower assam. Baruah can be brahmin and ahom. Have you seen my ethnogene results for all three livingdna, geno 2.0 and ancestry dna?

kush
11-17-2019, 12:24 AM
The only caste traditionally we have is brahmin and kalita in lower assam. Baruah can be brahmin and ahom. Have you seen my ethnogene results for all three livingdna, geno 2.0 and ancestry dna?

oh ok cool

and yeah i've seen your results for ancestry and livingdna. havent seen geno 2.0. btw what group do you belong to if you dont mind me asking. i dont think you ever mentioned it on here.

jortita
11-17-2019, 12:27 AM
oh ok cool

and yeah i've seen your results for ancestry and livingdna. havent seen geno 2.0. btw what group do you belong to if you dont mind me asking. i dont think you ever mentioned it on here.

I meant my ethnogene results and not my original results from these three companies

kush
11-17-2019, 12:56 AM
I meant my ethnogene results and not my original results from these three companies

iirc you got majority assamese tribal group affiliation like around 60-70% garo or something. i forgot actually. can you post your results again?

jortita
11-17-2019, 08:48 AM
iirc you got majority assamese tribal group affiliation like around 60-70% garo or something. i forgot actually. can you post your results again?

Not really, more broader bodo kachari which includes tai ahom. The below results are my Nat Geo results which I sent from a completely new gmail account created as asianviking without giving any indication of where I am, in terms of my surname etc.

Results Overview - Geographic Regions
South Asia, Southeast Asia, East Asia

Trace Ethnicity
Malaysian 0.92%
Bihari 0.99%
Hmong 0.93%
Yi 0.97%
Khasi 0.98%
Tibetan 0.89%
Karbi 0.94%

Overall Regional Estimate

East Asia 1.1%
South Asia 86.2%
Southeast Asia 12.7%

Specific Ancestry Estimates

Bodo Kachari (India (Assam) 62.1%
Bamar (Northern Burma) 3.3%
Rajbongshi (India, Assam, West Bengal) 8.0%
Makrani 1.0%
Rajasthani 1.6%
Moluccan 3.1%
Bengali 6.9%
Odisha 2.7%
Vietnamese (Northern Vietnam) 1.8%
Nepalese 1.3%
Tangsa (Arunachal Pradesh, Myanmar)1.3%
Mon (Myanmar, Mon State)1.0%
Zhuang 1.1%
Miao 1.0%
Nyishi (Arunachal Pradesh)1.2%
Uttar Pradesh 2.6%

Bmar, Miao, Nyishi, Vietnamese, Zhuang, Tangsa, Mon are all linked to my Tai ancestry, with my MTDNA evaluated as being either M13C or M13'46'61, please read these articles as well, https://www.telegraphindia.com/states/north-east/dna-samples-throw-light-on-thai-ahom-link/cid/1447621; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3620166/ (link with Zhuang)

So my ancestry is a mix of Assamese Tibeto Burmese tribes primarily related to the Kachari group and Tai.

Bodo Kachari defined by Ethnogene - This is a generic term used to describe a collection of ethnic groups which are native to the state of Assam and surrounding areas in Northeast India. Although each group is distinct,there is significant genetic overlap. These groups are generally intermediates between South
Asian and Southeast Asian populations. These include, but are not limited to, the Ahom, Deuri, Thengal Kachari, Dimasa Kachari, Tiprasa, Rabha, Tiwa and Phulgaria.

Even though phenotype and genotype are not sometimes the way to determine, however I look and have the genetic characteristics of upper assam Tai+Kachari mixed people including Sutiya/Deori people

kush
11-17-2019, 09:44 AM
Not really, more broader bodo kachari which includes tai ahom. The below results are my Nat Geo results which I sent from a completely new gmail account created as asianviking without giving any indication of where I am, in terms of my surname etc.

Results Overview - Geographic Regions
South Asia, Southeast Asia, East Asia

Trace Ethnicity
Malaysian 0.92%
Bihari 0.99%
Hmong 0.93%
Yi 0.97%
Khasi 0.98%
Tibetan 0.89%
Karbi 0.94%

Overall Regional Estimate

East Asia 1.1%
South Asia 86.2%
Southeast Asia 12.7%

Specific Ancestry Estimates

Bodo Kachari (India (Assam) 62.1%
Bamar (Northern Burma) 3.3%
Rajbongshi (India, Assam, West Bengal) 8.0%
Makrani 1.0%
Rajasthani 1.6%
Moluccan 3.1%
Bengali 6.9%
Odisha 2.7%
Vietnamese (Northern Vietnam) 1.8%
Nepalese 1.3%
Tangsa (Arunachal Pradesh, Myanmar)1.3%
Mon (Myanmar, Mon State)1.0%
Zhuang 1.1%
Miao 1.0%
Nyishi (Arunachal Pradesh)1.2%
Uttar Pradesh 2.6%

Bmar, Miao, Nyishi, Vietnamese, Zhuang, Tangsa, Mon are all linked to my Tai ancestry, with my MTDNA evaluated as being either M13C or M13'46'61, please read these articles as well, https://www.telegraphindia.com/states/north-east/dna-samples-throw-light-on-thai-ahom-link/cid/1447621; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3620166/ (link with Zhuang)

So my ancestry is a mix of Assamese Tibeto Burmese tribes primarily related to the Kachari group and Tai.

Bodo Kachari defined by Ethnogene - This is a generic term used to describe a collection of ethnic groups which are native to the state of Assam and surrounding areas in Northeast India. Although each group is distinct,there is significant genetic overlap. These groups are generally intermediates between South
Asian and Southeast Asian populations. These include, but are not limited to, the Ahom, Deuri, Thengal Kachari, Dimasa Kachari, Tiprasa, Rabha, Tiwa and Phulgaria.

Even though phenotype and genotype are not sometimes the way to determine, however I look and have the genetic characteristics of upper assam Tai+Kachari mixed people including Sutiya/Deori people

sorry maybe im just misunderstanding this but you get 80% south asian on pretty much everything including gedmatch. you basically come out as slightly (around 1/8 or so) mongoloid shifted version of a bengali. thats enough to give you the features you have since many bengalis themselves have decent mongoloid influence. I mean do you belong to a bodo group or an indo aryan group? If you belong to a bodo/mongoloid/tibeto burman tribe i understand where you're coming from and why you're upset with your results but if you're an indoaryan feeling this way, i really have nothing else to say man.

jortita
11-17-2019, 10:56 AM
sorry maybe im just misunderstanding this but you get 80% south asian on pretty much everything including gedmatch. you basically come out as slightly (around 1/8 or so) mongoloid shifted version of a bengali. thats enough to give you the features you have since many bengalis themselves have decent mongoloid influence. I mean do you belong to a bodo group or an indo aryan group? If you belong to a bodo/mongoloid/tibeto burman tribe i understand where you're coming from and why you're upset with your results but if you're an indoaryan feeling this way, i really have nothing else to say man.

I do not come from an Info aryan heritage at all, its not just features its all genetic traits and practically zero body hair, my friend. I cannot grow any facial hair, I have EDAR, alcohol flush. I am much more eastern shifted from bangladesh or Bengal, I believe ethnogene has correctly identified my genetic heritage.

kakiasumi
11-19-2019, 02:26 PM
Is she retarded?

Quoted you only to get your attention. Below is a link to Sappro spreadsheet which he has shared a few pages back in this thread.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mTH_BnLv9riKKwHeNpjFmu7flT6_ekTuYij0juxnjb4/edit?pli=1#gid=557474067

In this spreadsheet there is a Kho sample citing you as a source. Which area of Chitral the sample is and also which tribe?

pegasus
11-19-2019, 09:43 PM
Quoted you only to get your attention. Below is a link to Sappro spreadsheet which he has shared a few pages back in this thread.

In this spreadsheet there is a Kho sample citing you as a source. Which area of Chitral the sample is and also which tribe?

I believe that is from the "Ul Mulk " family, from the royal family of Chitral.

clocknative
11-30-2019, 04:24 PM

These are my results which I got recently, I'm not too sure what to make of the results because it seems like they have split up Indian Punjab and Pakistani Punjab which makes no sense but when you click on Central Asia South it shows all of Indian Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh highlighted as well as northern part of Rajasthan which is quite confusing to me. Seems like they did not put much thought and effort in this update.

My HarappaWorld results:

# Population Percent
1 Baloch 42.74
2 S-Indian 31.63
3 Caucasian 12.66
4 NE-Euro 6.60
5 SW-Asian 1.78

Using 1 population approximation:
1 punjabi-arain_xing @ 3.617151
2 kashmiri-pahari_harappa @ 4.691914
3 kashmiri-pandit_reich @ 4.906475
4 punjabi_harappa @ 4.993001
5 punjabi-jatt-muslim_harappa @ 5.521616
6 singapore-indian-c_sgvp @ 5.643425
7 sindhi_hgdp @ 5.690948
8 punjabi-brahmin_harappa @ 5.892766
9 punjabi-ramgarhia_harappa @ 6.145417
10 sindhi_harappa @ 6.637305
11 punjabi-khatri_harappa @ 7.032463
12 kashmiri_harappa @ 7.122962
13 gujarati-muslim_harappa @ 7.317006
14 punjabi-jatt-sikh_harappa @ 8.117663
15 pushtikar-brahmin_harappa @ 8.599157
16 bhatia_harappa @ 9.022285
17 up-muslim_harappa @ 9.886688
18 pathan_hgdp @ 10.359113
19 rajasthani-brahmin_harappa @ 10.486460
20 nepalese-a_xing @ 11.970327

Using 2 populations approximation:
1 50% kashmiri-pandit_reich +50% sindhi_hgdp @ 2.614972

Using 3 populations approximation:
1 50% kalash_hgdp +25% sindhi_hgdp +25% velama_metspalu @ 1.851148

Using 4 populations approximation:
1 ap-reddy_harappa + kalash_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + sindhi_hgdp @ 1.759534
2 kalash_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + sindhi_hgdp + velama_metspalu @ 1.851148
3 brahui_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + madiga_reich @ 1.866012
4 goan_harappa + kalash_hgdp + sindhi_harappa + sindhi_hgdp @ 1.890342
5 brahui_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + sakilli_chaubey @ 1.910310
6 balochi_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + punjabi-khatri_harappa + tamil-vellalar_harappa @ 1.914380
7 ap-reddy_harappa + kalash_hgdp + pathan_hgdp + sindhi_hgdp @ 1.917443
8 kalash_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + karnataka_harappa + sindhi_hgdp @ 1.938745
9 balochi_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + punjabi-khatri_harappa + vysya_reich @ 1.950199
10 balochi_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + rajasthani-brahmin_harappa + velama_reich @ 1.952522
11 balochi_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + kashmiri-pandit_reich + lodi_reich @ 1.952837
12 balochi_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + kashmiri-pandit_reich + tamil-vellalar_harappa @ 1.953107
13 gujarati-muslim_harappa + kalash_hgdp + meena_metspalu + sindhi_hgdp @ 1.955840
14 balochi_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + karnataka_harappa + punjabi-brahmin_harappa @ 1.969197
15 balochi_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + sakilli_chaubey @ 1.974262
16 balochi_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + punjabi-brahmin_harappa + velama_reich @ 1.989105
17 bhatia_harappa + kalash_hgdp + kerala-christian_harappa + sindhi_hgdp @ 1.989292
18 balochi_hgdp + bhatia_harappa + kalash_hgdp + sakilli_chaubey @ 1.992461
19 balochi_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + lodi_reich + punjabi-khatri_harappa @ 2.003965
20 balochi_hgdp + kalash_hgdp + kashmiri-pandit_reich + velama_reich @ 2.009681

jortita
12-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Ancestry DNA updated results:

Southern and Eastern Indian 99%
East Asian 1%

Does not make sense at all, I think Ethnogene is the best

Living DNA updated results

Asia South 79.3%
Indian Sub-Continent 35.7%
Sindh 23.7%
Pashtun 16.9%
Burusho 2.9%

Asia (East) 20.7%
Southwest China 12%
Southeast Asia 8.7%

I think Living DNA and these other tests completely misread Bodo Kachari and Tai Ahom genetic markers as being Sindhi or Pathan and other South Asian ethnic groups

clocknative
12-23-2019, 08:57 PM

East Asian 1%

Asia South 79.3%
Sindh 23.7%
Pashtun 16.9%
Burusho 2.9%

Asia (East) 20.7%
Southwest China 12%
Southeast Asia 8.7%

I think Living DNA and these other tests completely misread Bodo Kachari and Tai Ahom genetic markers as being Sindhi or Pathan and other South Asian ethnic groups

Yeah I'm not sure why livingDNA gives such high pashtun % to some south asians. Btw are these your updated livingDNA results, still haven't got mine yet.

FrostAssassin0701
12-24-2019, 12:30 AM

East Asian 1%

Asia South 79.3%
Sindh 23.7%
Pashtun 16.9%
Burusho 2.9%

Asia (East) 20.7%
Southwest China 12%
Southeast Asia 8.7%

Based on nMonte runs done, this (LivingDNA) seems to be a fairly accurate breakdown of East Asian vs South Asian for you.

jortita
12-24-2019, 03:17 AM
Based on nMonte runs done, this (LivingDNA) seems to be a fairly accurate breakdown of East Asian vs South Asian for you.

Please look at my ethnogene results which I posted earlier as I believe they are the only who have understood the NE Indian genetic markers whereas others have got them wrong

agent_lime
01-31-2020, 05:20 PM
All my close relatives(4th generation) are super high South Central Asian. I don't even understand if it means anything.

https://i.imgur.com/5LaeoFZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/A0Mvkby.png

https://i.imgur.com/ZFq92xg.png

https://i.imgur.com/y36hmsu.png

poi
01-31-2020, 08:58 PM
The highest "Northern and Western India" (in Ancestry's model) has to be my mother-in-law. Does anyone have found anyone higher than 96%? Her profile looks like the mirror(opposite) image of that "Chawla" one @agent.

I am surprised at such a low "Central Asia-South", which means -- at least according to Ancestry -- her ancestry in the last few (or more?) centuries has been entirely inner SouthAsia.

https://i.imgur.com/6gKhTTkr.png

Adam A
02-01-2020, 03:05 AM
The highest "Northern and Western India" (in Ancestry's model) has to be my mother-in-law. Does anyone have found anyone higher than 96%? Her profile looks like the mirror(opposite) image of that "Chawla" one @agent.

I am surprised at such a low "Central Asia-South", which means -- at least according to Ancestry -- her ancestry in the last few (or more?) centuries has been entirely inner SouthAsia.

https://i.imgur.com/6gKhTTkr.png

What is her South Asian ethnicity?

poi
02-04-2020, 06:12 PM
What is her South Asian ethnicity?

She’s a Nepali Khas Brahmin/Bahun.

karnalIroh
05-20-2020, 05:34 PM

hey everyone
i just wanted to know if other punjabis/paharis are getting similar results especially the south indian part.or does this point to recent bengali or south indian ancestry??

agent_lime
05-20-2020, 06:36 PM

hey everyone
i just wanted to know if other punjabis/paharis are getting similar results especially the south indian part.or does this point to recent bengali or south indian ancestry??

Most of them get not more than a few % South Indian. You are higher than the average.

MonkeyDLuffy
05-20-2020, 07:04 PM
Punjabi Ramgarhia (Bilkhu)

agent_lime
07-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Pakistani Mujahir (UP Pathan)
-
https://www.reddit.com/r/AncestryDNA/comments/hi7sah/pakistani_results_ethnically_we_identify_as/

Harappa-
S-Indian: 41.71 Pct Baloch: 33.56 Pct Caucasian: 7.80 Pct NE-Euro: 7.21 Pct SE-Asian: 0.27 Pct Siberian: 1.65 Pct NE-Asian: 1.91 Pct Papuan: 1.21 Pct American: 0.47 Pct Beringian: 0.92 Pct Mediterranean: 3.16 Pct SW-Asian: 0.14 Pct On HarappaWorld

MonkeyDLuffy
07-01-2020, 02:47 PM
Pakistani Mujahir (UP Pathan)
-
https://www.reddit.com/r/AncestryDNA/comments/hi7sah/pakistani_results_ethnically_we_identify_as/

Harappa-
S-Indian: 41.71 Pct Baloch: 33.56 Pct Caucasian: 7.80 Pct NE-Euro: 7.21 Pct SE-Asian: 0.27 Pct Siberian: 1.65 Pct NE-Asian: 1.91 Pct Papuan: 1.21 Pct American: 0.47 Pct Beringian: 0.92 Pct Mediterranean: 3.16 Pct SW-Asian: 0.14 Pct On HarappaWorld

I saw his results few months ago too. I think he posted again. I hope he takes the advice of kingkhushi and joins genica.

subzero85
07-14-2020, 11:40 PM

tipirneni
07-14-2020, 11:47 PM

Are you getting any south Indian matches in DNA relatives ?

subzero85
07-15-2020, 02:36 PM
Are you getting any south Indian matches in DNA relatives ?

I have plenty of Muslim Hyderabad Indian matches, but I suspect many of them ended up in Hyderabad through UP.

agent_lime
07-25-2020, 07:32 AM
Found a Punjabi on Reddit again. Just looking at last 2-3 generation causes confusion for a lot of folks for sure. High Baloch and South Indian. I haven't seen this. Almost looks like his mixture is Baloch/Sindhi + South Indian mixed.

https://i.redd.it/clyh5mus0wc51.jpg

MonkeyDLuffy
07-25-2020, 02:26 PM
Found a Punjabi on Reddit again. Just looking at last 2-3 generation causes confusion for a lot of folks for sure. High Baloch and South Indian. I haven't seen this. Almost looks like his mixture is Baloch/Sindhi + South Indian mixed.

Tbh I'd expect some kaamis to score like this, like kumhars etc. I found 1 lubana samples last year that was similar to this.

agent_lime
07-25-2020, 02:51 PM
Tbh I'd expect some kaamis to score like this, like kumhars etc. I found 1 lubana samples last year that was similar to this.

The high Baloch + SI is rare for Punjabis. Perhaps rural also Sindhis can score like this.

MonkeyDLuffy
07-25-2020, 03:29 PM
The high Baloch + SI is rare for Punjabis. Perhaps rural also Sindhis can score like this.

We've only seen handful of biradaris, and all of them are socially higher. This person is 4-5 points higher si than Nai, but follow the same pattern of high baloch + SI with not much "steppe/Ne euro".

pegasus
07-25-2020, 10:08 PM
We've only seen handful of biradaris, and all of them are socially higher. This person is 4-5 points higher si than Nai, but follow the same pattern of high baloch + SI with not much "steppe/Ne euro".

Looks similar to the Saini or a Gujarati Brahmin frankly don't see anything that special about this sample.

agent_lime
07-26-2020, 05:05 AM
Looks similar to the Saini or a Gujarati Brahmin frankly don't see anything that special about this sample.

Pulled some Gujarati results. I wish we got more folks joining us. Some are high NE Euro without Caucasian. High Baloch is common. One sample is 47%.

https://i.imgur.com/UhQ0xh4.png

pegasus
07-26-2020, 10:58 AM
Pulled some Gujarati results. I wish we got more folks joining us. Some are high NE Euro without Caucasian. High Baloch is common. One sample is 47%.

https://i.imgur.com/UhQ0xh4.png

These are from 2011/2012 from Sugarland/Houston Gujaratis I am assuming, the updated versions won't have such high Baloch and low Caucasus, it reminds me of those weird Arain results . Yeah it would be nice to see more Patels , the samples on G25 are very insufficient, there needs to be way more of them. Also only 5 Velama-Reddy samples. The lion's share of Indians in the US are from these groups ( Patel, Velama- Reddy groups) so having more samples from these groups is important.

Dr_McNinja
07-27-2020, 02:19 PM

That is a somewhat unusual combination though the MyHeritage results look typical. Could be mix of various Pakistani types in Pakistan Punjab. Like Sindhi/Balochi + PJL from 1000 Genomes

Deftextra
07-30-2020, 11:11 PM
I just checked my ancestry DNA in a long time and found a community assigned to me for the first time.

How common is it for south-Asians to be assigned this community? Anyone else got assigned to this community as well?

Adam A
08-01-2020, 02:13 AM
After waiting 3 years I have a community finally

https://i.gyazo.com/97d4ec3482918faca2f6862d38470aa6.jpg

https://i.gyazo.com/86ce1583fb21de293d34fe6c8ce42a90.png

It looks like they did a mass update of communities, i'd check your accounts to see if you have a new one

Sapporo
08-01-2020, 02:10 PM
I just checked my ancestry DNA in a long time and found a community assigned to me for the first time.

How common is it for south-Asians to be assigned this community? Anyone else got assigned to this community as well?

I was apparently assigned it too. However, it's worth noting that Punjab/Western India encompasses a huge area. Both my parents are from Punjab but it's possible for you, your South Asian ancestry could be anywhere from Punjab to Rajasthan to Gujarat to Maharashtra, etc. For South Asian ancestry in Somalia, it's most likely from a Western coastal region of South Asia like Gujarat or Maharashtra.

tipirneni
08-01-2020, 11:03 PM
There is newly created Community of SouthEastern India encompassing AP, Telangana, TN, Mysore (Southeast Karnataka bordering Andhra/TN). There are 4484 people assigned to it including myself.

ssamlal
08-01-2020, 11:40 PM
As expected my family and I are now part of the "Indian Diaspora in the Caribbean & Fiji" community (36,312 members):

MonkeyDLuffy
08-02-2020, 02:06 AM
As expected my family and I are now part of the "Indian Diaspora in the Caribbean & Fiji" community (36,312 members):

Interesting there are some Sikhs too in it, I wonder if that'll affect the affiliation for some.

agent_lime
08-02-2020, 09:11 AM
Punjab and Western India added for me too. Makes zero sense.

https://i.imgur.com/UeSmDtV.png

discreetmaverick
08-02-2020, 10:12 AM
There is newly created Community of SouthEastern India encompassing AP, Telangana, TN, Mysore (Southeast Karnataka bordering Andhra/TN). There are 4484 people assigned to it including myself.

what is southwestern India?

Kirtan24
08-02-2020, 10:32 AM

Yeah, his results are somewhat similar to mine, with a bit higher Caucasian and a bit lower NE Euro.

tipirneni
08-02-2020, 07:56 PM
what is southwestern India?

I don't know if there is South West India or not. Usually it is SouthEast & Kerala coast upto Uttarkarnataka & Central India & Maha & Gujarat are distinct areas

Dr_McNinja
09-03-2020, 12:49 PM
Don't know if you guys have heard about this already or what:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?21568-New-update-coming-soon-preview-your-results-here!

Paste your account ID into this URL: https //www.ancestry.com/dna/origins/secure/tests/INSERT ACCOUNT ID HERE/ethnicity?version=2020

Changing 2020 to 2019 shows current results.

There's almost no change in the one South Asian kit I have access to. Even the components are mostly named the same.

ssamlal
09-03-2020, 07:04 PM
Updated and comparative results for my family and I:

Mine
Brother RS
Brother VS
Pat_Uncle
Mum
Niece_TS
Cousin_LS

IndiaSouth

IndiaNorth

Mine
Brother RS
Brother VS
Pat_Uncle
Mum
Niece_TS
Cousin_LS

IndiaSouth

IndiaNorth

Sapporo
09-03-2020, 11:10 PM
I'm getting this error when I try to do the 2020 results:

{"status":403,"error":"FORBIDDEN","message":"","timeStamp":1599173756895}

ssamlal
09-04-2020, 12:26 AM
I'm getting this error when I try to do the 2020 results:

I got the same error message last night and just now, but it worked this afternoon for me (Eastern time).

Not sure if it matters but I logged in to the US site (ancestry.com) not the Canadian one, before navigating to the link. Maybe try again tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Adam A
09-04-2020, 07:41 PM
It looks like they patched the exploit. Was interesting to see the new results anyways

ssamlal
09-11-2020, 04:33 PM
Updated and comparative results for my family and I:

Mine
Brother RS
Brother VS
Pat_Uncle
Mum
Niece_TS
Cousin_LS

IndiaSouth

IndiaNorth

Mine
Brother RS
Brother VS
Pat_Uncle
Mum
Niece_TS
Cousin_LS

IndiaSouth

IndiaNorth

Results have been updated in Ancestry now (and they match the ones obtained using the "hacked" URL):

Mine:

Adam A
09-11-2020, 07:05 PM
They upped my total South Asian by 2%, this update is much more accurate for me

In total:

42% South Asian
32% European
15% East Asian
11% Sub-Saharan African

https://i.gyazo.com/5801bad2c44aeb4133035eae49a88f6a.png

MuslimPatel123
11-04-2020, 05:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/JrurWbX.png

Northern India has a range of 87-100%
Central Asia-South has a range of 0-30%
The algorithm + references here eliminate all of my West Asian like admixture.

Kapisa
12-24-2020, 08:38 PM
My Ancestry results just arrived:
Central Asia South:66%range (56% - 100%)
North India: 31% range (30 - 36%)
South India: 3% range (0 - 15%)

Additional communities assigned: Punjab and Western India.

Deftextra
01-29-2021, 04:50 AM
My south Asian percentage almost disappeared(I am normally around 20% south Asian). I am 5% north Indian + 2% Central Asia-south now. While I have noticed that the update is very conservative and improved for many people, the algorithm still has big problems with Cushitic + Middle-Eastern admixed people.

poi
01-30-2021, 08:56 PM
The breakdown for my mother in law is 100% "Northern Indian". It is a pretty broad category, so room for improvement there.

https://i.imgur.com/oBvaNmgr.png

Her daughter is 98% "Northern Indian" with 2% "Central Asian - South"

https://i.imgur.com/EVWptCAr.png

My mom is 84% "Northern Indian" and 16% "Central Asian - South".

https://i.imgur.com/IiRIUwBr.png

Sapporo
02-03-2021, 05:34 PM
My Ancestry results just arrived:
Central Asia South:66%range (56% - 100%)
North India: 31% range (30 - 36%)
South India: 3% range (0 - 15%)

Additional communities assigned: Punjab and Western India.
No idea why part of East Punjab, Haryana and even Himachal are still part of the super broad "Northern India" rather than the Pakistani portion of Central Asia South. Anyways, I get a 50% 50% split between South Central Asia and Northern India and it probably varies between 45-70% or so for most Punjabis from East Punjab.

I also go the additional communities: Punjab and Western India:

Personally, I think there might be a Swat IA (SPGT) vs. Cemetery H dynamic going on.

Kapisa
02-03-2021, 06:41 PM
No idea why part of East Punjab, Haryana and even Himachal are still part of the super broad "Northern India" rather than the Pakistani portion of Central Asia South. Anyways, I get a 50% 50% split between South Central Asia and Northern India and it probably varies between 45-70% or so for most Punjabis from East Punjab.

I also go the additional communities: Punjab and Western India:

Personally, I think there might be a Swat IA (SPGT) vs. Cemetery H dynamic going on.

Most of my Sikh Jatt matches on Ancestry are similar to me in terms of proportions.

Sidhu
Central Asia—South84%
Northern India16%
Southern India0%

Sidhu
Central Asia—South65%
Northern India32%
Southern India3%

Singh
Central Asia—South65%
Northern India35%
Southern India0%

Singh
Central Asia—South8%
Northern India82%
Southern India10%

There are major issues with Ancestry's population clusters. The problem with Ancestry is that they do not further divide South Central Asian cluster so both Iran-N heavy (or BMAC derived) and Turkmenistan-IA derived Iranics end up in the same pile, FTDNA makes a separate cluster for both. Similarly, FTDNA and Ancestry seem to be clustering all peninsular regions (Haryana, Himanchal, UP, Rajasthan and Gujarat) into one cluster. Ancestry also has a combined cluster of South and East Indians where its hard to tell whether its excess South Indian or East Indian that one is scoring. Its probably the reason why East Asian (Tibetan) ancestry in Kashmiris and Himanchalis makes some of them score high on 'East India' cluster on FTDNA. 'North India' cluster on FTDNA is Punjab focused yet Punjabis don't score higher than 10% on it, reason being 'Indus Valley cluster' is preferred.

MonkeyDLuffy
02-04-2021, 02:51 AM
Most of my Sikh Jatt matches on Ancestry are similar to me in terms of proportions.

Sidhu
Central Asia—South84%
Northern India16%
Southern India0%

Sidhu
Central Asia—South65%
Northern India32%
Southern India3%

Singh
Central Asia—South65%
Northern India35%
Southern India0%

Singh
Central Asia—South8%
Northern India82%
Southern India10%

There are major issues with Ancestry's population clusters. The problem with Ancestry is that they do not further divide South Central Asian cluster so both Iran-N heavy (or BMAC derived) and Turkmenistan-IA derived Iranics end up in the same pile, FTDNA makes a separate cluster for both. Similarly, FTDNA and Ancestry seem to be clustering all peninsular regions (Haryana, Himanchal, UP, Rajasthan and Gujarat) into one cluster. Ancestry also has a combined cluster of South and East Indians where its hard to tell whether its excess South Indian or East Indian that one is scoring. Its probably the reason why East Asian (Tibetan) ancestry in Kashmiris and Himanchalis makes some of them score high on 'East India' cluster on FTDNA. 'North India' cluster on FTDNA is Punjab focused yet Punjabis don't score higher than 10% on it, reason being 'Indus Valley cluster' is preferred.

I think the Punjabi dataset on FTDNA is based on outdated Punjabi lahore samples, most of which resemble Punjabi Dalits.

Kapisa
02-04-2021, 03:42 AM
I think the Punjabi dataset on FTDNA is based on outdated Punjabi lahore samples, most of which resemble Punjabi Dalits.

Just like Gujarati samples PJL fall into various distinct clusters. One group is below 30% SI (they cluster with Khatris/Sheikhs), then there is 30-40% SI (some of them cluster with Kashmiris/Paharis), then there are those above 40% SI they seem to be similar to Saidu Sharif outlier. I am not sure if Jatts are part of this random sample.