PDA

View Full Version : E1b1b in Senegambia is it due to Berber admixture?

NetNomad
06-27-2018, 05:28 PM
https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-V1039/
https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-Y10561*/
https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-SK872/

Note: U6a and M1b, maternal Berber markers are also found there at low frequencies. Fulanis also score Berber on autosomal studies, less for the Mende and more generic Senegambians.

Lank
06-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Those lineages look too divergent to be Berber, unless they spread from relatively isolated groups. Even with the limited North African representation at YFull, you can clearly tell that mainstream Berber lineages are generally well-represented across the Mediterranean in Europe as well. Yet, these West African lineages seem to be distantly related to the Maghreb/European lineages as a rule. No TMRCA is given for V1039, but that is shared with a sample from Sardinia, which is fairly isolated, so the TMRCA is likely to be fairly old.

They probably spread from North Africa in earlier periods accompanied by mtDNA U6 and M1b, perhaps during the Green Sahara?

NetNomad
06-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Those lineages look too divergent to be Berber, unless they spread from relatively isolated groups. Even with the limited North African representation at YFull, you can clearly tell that mainstream Berber lineages are generally well-represented across the Mediterranean in Europe as well. Yet, these West African lineages seem to be distantly related to the Maghreb/European lineages as a rule. No TMRCA is given for V1039, but that is shared with a sample from Sardinia, which is fairly isolated, so the TMRCA is likely to be fairly old.

They probably spread from North Africa in earlier periods accompanied by mtDNA U6 and M1b, perhaps during the Green Sahara?

proto-Berber perhaps.. or something similar to Iberomaurusians.

I noticed that the Senegalese always appear more Eurasian-shifted on PCAs than other West Africans (Ghanaians, Yoruba etc).

Piquerobi
06-28-2018, 03:58 PM
I would not be surprised if it were. On Dodecad k12b, this Senegalese sample shows the "Northwest African" component:

Dodecad K12b results (Senegalese):

# Population Percent
1 Sub_Saharan 87.81
2 East_African 7.73
3 Northwest_African 4.37
4 Southeast_Asian 0.09

By comparison, this Nigerian sample (Yoruba) does not show any:

Dodecad k12b results (Yoruba):

Dodecad K12b Oracle results:

Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
1 Sub_Saharan 92.76
2 East_African 6.98
3 South_Asian 0.26

Shamayim
07-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Obviously

Squad
08-28-2018, 08:22 AM
My theory postulates that a berber-like population lived during the green Sahara era and survived until relatively recent times when the last ones were absorbed by the Fulanis in their migration. This theory is 100% supported by genetic evidence. Of course I had already said that Senegambia was also somewhat influenced by these ancient people. These people were the Kiffians and their descendants.

NetNomad
08-29-2018, 10:19 AM
My theory postulates that a Berber-like population lived during the green Sahara era and survived until relatively recent times when the last ones were absorbed by the Fulanis in their migration. This theory is 100% supported by genetic evidence. Of course I had already said that Senegambia was also somewhat influenced by these ancient people. These people were the Kiffians and their descendants.

Eastern Fulanis from Nigeria and Cameroon surprisingly have their SSA autosomal signal mostly with Senegambians. Definitely points to a Senegambian origin for Fulanis.

Senegal isn't that far from Morocco. It would be surprising if they didn't have any geneflow for such a long time.