PDA

View Full Version : Flora. Interesting fact. Did you know?

BasilChaves
07-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Hello everybody.
Did you know that the grass that was bent should be left in place and not cleaned? Mowing grass is a valuable source of nutrients for the lawn. It provides a new growing herb with nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus, reducing the need for fertilizers. Short cuttings of young grasses quickly decompose. In addition, at the same time, the amount of waste entering the landfill is reduced.

glentane
07-14-2018, 12:50 PM
I collect them in the old Qualcast Panther's grass box (ancient push, and I mean push lol) mower.
Then I dump them in as thick a mulch pile as I can round the inside of the fence, where the mower won't reach.
Unsightly? Not as bad as the 3- to 5-foot nettles, docks and bishop-weed that would swarm the place from the fields otherwise.

It's always wet here (apart from this very odd summer we're having now), and the grass needs attacking at least every 3 days to a week, or else it's out with the petrol weedwhacker with my wellies on, and off into the jungle to make green slurry as the rain buckets down.
Leaving the clippings is not appreciated by the wife, as they stick to everything and everyone because of the eternal dampness, and soon even the bed is covered in the perishing stuff.

If I told you how I keep the ground dressed with my own brand of "Nitro-Top®", I'm very much afraid no-one would ever speak to me again ..

Webb
07-25-2018, 11:08 PM
Hello everybody.
Did you know that the grass that was bent should be left in place and not cleaned? Mowing grass is a valuable source of nutrients for the lawn. It provides a new growing herb with nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus, reducing the need for fertilizers. Short cuttings of young grasses quickly decompose. In addition, at the same time, the amount of waste entering the landfill is reduced.

It is best to buy a mower with a mulching blade. Never remove more than a third of the grass height when mowing, and mow at the highest setting the mower will allow. In the U.S. for cool season grasses, 3.5 inches. The grass needs plenty of blade to photosynthesize. The tall height also keeps the soil moist and shaded providing the best habitat for micro organisms to break down the mulched grass.

Webb
07-25-2018, 11:10 PM

The National Cenetery of the Alleghenies, just south of Pittsburgh. I am the foreman.

MikeWhalen
07-26-2018, 04:26 PM
lovely job on the cemetery Webb

and while I do not enjoy lawn work, I do exactly what you say....mulching mower, let it grow long before you cut, mower on highest wheel settings so the ground does not dry out or get fried cause you cut too short, very cold beer for hydration during and after the event, ect :)

Mike

C J Wyatt III
07-26-2018, 04:47 PM
very cold beer for hydration during and after the event, ect :)
Mike

If you really want to hydrate, you need to match a glass of water for each beer. But sometimes we just want the beer.

Jack

MikeWhalen
07-26-2018, 08:25 PM
^
Boooooooooo ban him, ban him!!

:)

just kidding, water is a good option, for sissy mary's and children

Mike

George Chandler
07-26-2018, 10:54 PM
The Chandler Method:

1) Sit in lawn chair with beer and Colt Old Port Cigar (Cohiba if available).

2) Plan and ponder anticipated mowing.

3) See if any available niece or nephew can be bought off to do said mowing while on vacation as I have no progeny of my own.

4) If none can be bribed..break out the mighty Toro.

5) Sit in chair again with another beer for more pondering.

6) Cut said lawn as short as possible to delay growth.

7) Agreed..do not rake...raking is bad.

8) Sit down with another beer and observe what has been achieved.

MikeWhalen
07-27-2018, 11:42 AM
^
tested and true methodology there George

the only thing I would disagree with is: if your eco concious (or just plain lazy and avoiding the chore), you let the grass grow quite high before you cut...if you do this, and then cut it short, there is way too much cuttings to mulch properly and lots of large grass killing clumps get left behind and are a general PITA

...so I found the easiest thing is,much like you: drink a frosty cool one, think, cuss a bit, sip a bit more, rest the back a last wee bit, pull out the old 3 pull lawn boy...sit, have a sip, contemplate and cogitate, cuss lazy no good new generation of kids uninterested in making a few bucks,
...hmm, where was I...oh well, back to the beginning
...admire the old lawnboy, get some gas to fill it, take a break, have another sip or two, fill the fucking gas tank with minimal splashing of gas on me and other precious things, finish that first brewski, man up, roar a bit, fire the old beast up, yup its working, shut her down, get a new brew, organize the cut, figure out any special timing or skill set issues....
honestly folks, this goes on in like kind for a while, and then the stupid chore is done for another 2-3 weeks

Mike

George Chandler
07-27-2018, 03:14 PM
LMAO!

Yes while on vacation I go into slow mode for sure.

Well said.

Saetro
07-28-2018, 03:25 AM
It is best to buy a mower with a mulching blade. Never remove more than a third of the grass height when mowing, and mow at the highest setting the mower will allow. In the U.S. for cool season grasses, 3.5 inches. The grass needs plenty of blade to photosynthesize. The tall height also keeps the soil moist and shaded providing the best habitat for micro organisms to break down the mulched grass.

Read similar advice on grass height from groundsman in equivalent climate decades ago and it has worked well ever since.
Even now that I am in the subtropics with a wet summer and dry winter.
Also keeps down broad leaf weeds.

However in summer when our grass grows it goes berserk.
I have to remove clippings via a catcher - there are so many of them.
Municipal lawn carers, however, seem fine with a mulching blade and no catcher.

I had a little helper last year for thatch removal.
Our native turkeys collect thatch for their nest mounds, and one kindly de-thatched my lawn.
And then tried to remove the lawn and half the bedding plants as well. Oh well.

Webb
07-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Read similar advice on grass height from groundsman in equivalent climate decades ago and it has worked well ever since.
Even now that I am in the subtropics with a wet summer and dry winter.
Also keeps down broad leaf weeds.

However in summer when our grass grows it goes berserk.
I have to remove clippings via a catcher - there are so many of them.
Municipal lawn carers, however, seem fine with a mulching blade and no catcher.

I had a little helper last year for thatch removal.
Our native turkeys collect thatch for their nest mounds, and one kindly de-thatched my lawn.
And then tried to remove the lawn and half the bedding plants as well. Oh well.

You are right about the weeds. The best prevention is a nice thick stand of grass. Here in Pittsburgh it is rough mowing from the beginning of the mowing season to about mid June. No need to fertilize until then. It is aggressive enough without the fertilizer. Lol. The turkeys are the best way to de-thatch. Mike Whalen’s method of having a cold one while watching the turkeys work would apply in this case.