PDA

View Full Version : Primarily German results

Mstock
07-18-2018, 07:06 PM
I decided to crack and get the living Dna test. Results came today and are pretty interesting. I have one grandmother from kingslynn England. The rest of my family is mostly German about 65% for me total and a little French and Swedish. Whatís weird is this test shows South Asia again like ftdna gencove and Eurogene v2 Oracle. Iím bit surprised because I heard this test is bad for German people but I didnít think it was this bad. Turned out it didnít pick up any at all and through it all into many other England categories.

Heres complete mode
Europe98.5%
Great Britain and Ireland84.9%
East Anglia25.6%

Devon13.9%

South Wales Border12.7%

Lincolnshire8.9%

South Central England7.9%

Aberdeenshire6.3%

South England2.7%

Central England2.1%

North Yorkshire1.8%

Orkney1.5%

Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland1.4%

Europe (East)11.4%
Baltics3.9%

Northeast Europe3.6%

Mordovia2%

Finland and Western Russia1.9%

Europe (South)2.1%
Tuscany2.1%

Asia (South)1.5%
Pashtun1.5%

Dewsloth
07-19-2018, 07:21 AM
my dad had similar results with them and a ~40/40/20 German//British/Belgian&Ashkenazi background:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13150-Does-LivingDNA-often-overestimate-British-DNA&p=334761&viewfull=1#post334761

and

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13972-How-much-ancestry-in-SE-England-(East-Anglia-Essex-Kent-etc)-is-pre-Anglo-Saxon&p=381530&viewfull=1#post381530

Arnfried
07-19-2018, 08:21 AM
Nice you got it the same day than me.
Your results will be improve, most of your germanic is hidden into different GB's regions. Hope the next regional's countries will come soon

Finn
07-19-2018, 01:25 PM
I’m bit surprised because I heard this test is bad for German people but I didn’t think it was this bad

I think it's not bad, but simply written towards the US/UK market! As such nothing wrong with that, but this can lead to pretty wierd outcomes. I saw a result from a Dutch lady, no single tie to the UK:

Living DNA even breaks down my supposed 94.4% British further into 21% South Central England, 17.3% South Yorkshire, 15.1% East Anglia, 13.6% South England, 13.1% Lincolnshire, 5.2% Central England, 3% Cornwall, 1.7% Northwest Scotland , 1.7% Aberdeenshire, 1.6% Devon and 1.2% Southeast England. It thinks my North and West European is Germanic (1.1%).

https://www.dutchgenealogy.nl/what-dutch-dna-looks-like-2018-edition/

Quite bizar isn't it?

The actual situation is, see the different plots of members ph2ter and LukaszM, there is an Anglo-Saxon overlap between England and North Dutch-NW Germany-Denmark region! Simply: (North Sea) Germans of the migration time!

But of course when all the people with roots in Anglo-Saxon England were plotted in this region, Living DNA would be overwhelmed by reactions: 'how on earth can you plot me in Denmark or North Dutch!'.

And I guess Living DNA is following the costumer and the market is bigger in US/UK than in outmost NW Europe ;)

But from a 'anthro and genetica' perspecitive this can lead to confusing and wierd outcomes.....:biggrin1:

jshook
07-19-2018, 07:07 PM
Wow. I'm kind of surprised by this because my father-in-law (who was born and raised in Germany) also got his this week and he didn't get anything nearly this bad. His UK result was so small that they didn't even bother to break it down past "England and Wales." His results:

Europe 98.8%

Germanic 49%
Baltics 11.9%
Northeast Europe 11.8%
Pannonia 3.4%
Finland and Western Russia 1.2%
Tuscany 13.3%
South Italy 3.7%
Aegean 2.7%
England and Wales 1.9%

Kurdish 1.2%

Mstock
07-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Jshook looks like he must of lucked out with his results. As far as my England results the east anglia nailed my grandmother from kingslynn right to the t. Everything else in that category should be a little Scandinavia and the rest German.
anyone interested in my 23andme feel free to take a peak

https://you.23andme.com/published/reports/149af35c06564378/?share_id=62a7eec207d84b08

Angriff
07-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Wow. I'm kind of surprised by this because my father-in-law (who was born and raised in Germany) also got his this week and he didn't get anything nearly this bad. His UK result was so small that they didn't even bother to break it down past "England and Wales." His results:

Europe 98.8%

Germanic 49%
Baltics 11.9%
Northeast Europe 11.8%
Pannonia 3.4%
Tuscany 13.3%
South Italy 3.7%
Aegean 2.7%
England and Wales 1.9%

Kurdish 1.2%

I suspect the biggest difference in this result and what Mstock got is that he has English mixed in which is driving the results to assume his German DNA is also tied to that, while someone without the anchor into the English groupings avoids this. As an American with about equal amounts of English and German (as well as some French), all 3 got rolled into English regions in the current version of the test. The German (and Irish) regional data ought to help with these types of results.

msmarjoribanks
07-19-2018, 10:55 PM
I'm a mixed American, around an eighth German and an eighth Swedish. It seems to have caught the Scandinavian, giving me 11%, but the German is far to0 low at 1.4, plus an additional smallish amount of unexpected Eastern European that could be from the German ancestry for all I know.

I'm curious if my ancestry from Southern England will go down when the German regional data goes live (based on my knowledge I am more Southern English than not, but hard to know for sure).

I'm just as curious about adding the Irish regions, since my mom scores pretty high Irish/Scottish, etc. in her estimates (she doesn't have LivingDNA), and on paper she's about 25% Scots Irish, and yet I get essentially no Irish or Scottish.

Angriff
07-19-2018, 11:57 PM
I'm a mixed American, around an eighth German and an eighth Swedish. It seems to have caught the Scandinavian, giving me 11%, but the German is far to0 low at 1.4, plus an additional smallish amount of unexpected Eastern European that could be from the German ancestry for all I know.

I'm curious if my ancestry from Southern England will go down when the German regional data goes live (based on my knowledge I am more Southern English than not, but hard to know for sure).

I'm just as curious about adding the Irish regions, since my mom scores pretty high Irish/Scottish, etc. in her estimates (she doesn't have LivingDNA), and on paper she's about 25% Scots Irish, and yet I get essentially no Irish or Scottish.

I have 1/8 Swedish as well and about 20% German and my results are 11.4% Scandinavian and 0% German, as the German was sent into my 33.9% SE England for Northern Germany and 3.1% Northern Italian for the branch from WŁrttemberg.

kingjohn
07-20-2018, 12:11 PM

Europe 98.8%

Germanic 49%
Baltics 11.9%
Northeast Europe 11.8%
Pannonia 3.4%
Tuscany 13.3%
South Italy 3.7%
Aegean 2.7%
England and Wales 1.9%

Kurdish 1.2%

wow look damn impressive :thumb:

look logical for a person of full german ancestery
may i ask from where in germany?
because he do sore 23-24% pure slavic /eastern european elments {not counting the pannonia which can also reflect germanic ancestery}
regards
adam

Pylsteen
07-23-2018, 11:48 AM
It depends on what their "Germanic" reference is at the moment. Most of their referents now are British. Currently, most references they have are British, so results will certainly be skewed towards GB. With me (Dutch) ancestry was divided between Great Britain and Scandinavia; half of the ancestry was put into SE England, Lincolnshire and East Anglia; these are areas probably most connected to the continent. They do have a "German" project; this will probably take some time before it will operate.

kingjohn
07-23-2018, 12:28 PM
this person must be from eastern germany or from baltic german ancestery he got to many eastern
european elements

Mstock
07-24-2018, 06:32 PM
I had great grandfather that always said he was born in Prussia. When I looked up his documents online I found some saying Russia and some saying Poland. His death certificate stated he was born in Russia. I couldn’t track any parents from him. I found ssggee documents stating he was from valentinow which is now modern day lutsk Ukraine.

jshook
07-25-2018, 02:21 AM
wow look damn impressive :thumb:

look logical for a person of full german ancestery
may i ask from where in germany?
because he do sore 23-24% pure slavic /eastern european elments {not counting the pannonia which can also reflect germanic ancestery}
regards
adam

Hi guys,

Sorry. In grad school and been away. To answer your question, he was born in central Germany, Hesse area.

jshook
07-25-2018, 02:25 AM
I suspect the biggest difference in this result and what Mstock got is that he has English mixed in which is driving the results to assume his German DNA is also tied to that, while someone without the anchor into the English groupings avoids this. As an American with about equal amounts of English and German (as well as some French), all 3 got rolled into English regions in the current version of the test. The German (and Irish) regional data ought to help with these types of results.

Yeah, I suspect you're right. I'm American, mostly English ancestry but with a not insignificant chunk of German ancestry and on LivingDNA it gets miscalled into into the UK (whereas I get 7.8% French/German on 23andMe and 11% Europe West on Ancestry.) I get nothing outside of Britain on LivingDNA aside from a 1.4% Scandinavian result.

Mstock
08-21-2018, 05:53 AM
Heres my new 23andme ancestry report for my German results

https://you.23andme.com/published/reports/149af35c06564378/?share_id=6208088d48cf41f7

seems like a big difference from my original results from livingdna with no German