PDA

View Full Version : Could ASI/AASI have originated outside the Indian subcontinent?

Dmitry
07-25-2018, 12:51 AM
I've noticed that on MLDP K11, there are ancient European groups such as the Magdalenians and Gravettians scoring up to nearly 30% ASI. Could it be that some South Indians largely retained the AASI profile while other ancient groups who had it went extinct? I know that the two cultures in question were replaced by Vilabrunna/WHG. I know that GEDmatch calculators can come up with some funny things, and that most academic studies have suggested that AASI is native to the Indian subcontinent, but does anyone have an explanation as to why these ancient European cultures were scoring such high ASI?

GoyetQ_2_Magdalenian

ASI - 17.83%

GoyetQ53_1_Gravettian

ASI - 28.92%

HohleFels49_Magdalenian

ASI - 13.60%

HohleFels79_Magdalenian

ASI - 17.73%

Nordic_BA

ASI - 4.56%

Generalissimo
07-25-2018, 01:21 AM
But does anyone have an explanation as to why these ancient European cultures were scoring such high ASI?

They're scoring it because it's not ASI. What you're seeing labeled as ASI, or something similar, are just allele frequencies that today peak in Indians relative to other modern populations.

I can assure you that when an ASI genome is sequenced, no European will score any ancestry from it in any decent formal mixture test, unless they have ancestry from South Asia, and are probably of Roma (gypsy) origin.

Dmitry
07-25-2018, 01:51 AM
They're scoring it because it's not ASI. What you're seeing labeled as ASI, or something similar, are just allele frequencies that today peak in Indians relative to other modern populations.

I can assure you that when an ASI genome is sequenced, no European will score any ancestry from it in any decent formal mixture test, unless they have ancestry from South Asia, and are probably of Roma (gypsy) origin.

I don't believe that ASI or even AASI was just one population, but a combination of multiple populations, and that is why some ancient Europeans are scoring it.

Generalissimo
07-25-2018, 02:53 AM
I don't believe that ASI or even AASI was just one population, but a combination of multiple populations, and that is why some ancient Europeans are scoring it.

There's substructure in any continental cluster, so there are bound to be some differences between pre-Neolithic Indian forager groups, but that's not the reason why Europeans are scoring the so called ASI in these tests. I explained the reason above.

Dmitry
07-25-2018, 01:39 PM
There's substructure in any continental cluster, so there are bound to be some differences between pre-Neolithic Indian forager groups, but that's not the reason why Europeans are scoring the so called ASI in these tests. I explained the reason above.

Well, these Europeans (the Magdalenians and Gravettians) were wiped out by the WHG and hardly left a trace on any modern-day Europeans

Generalissimo
07-25-2018, 09:39 PM
Well, these Europeans (the Magdalenians and Gravettians) were wiped out by the WHG and hardly left a trace on any modern-day Europeans

Not really.