PDA

View Full Version : LivingDNA MtDNA results just H Haplogroup & H only.

Ana26K
08-01-2018, 02:48 PM
I got my LivingDNA results this past Sunday and was excited to get my Haplogroup results. Upon receiving them, I was very disappointed as the result was what I already knew from WeGene for free..."H." And H only... evidently no subvariation/mutation beyond this. Anyone have any explanation for me? Someone on another forum suggested it's bc I obviously have a rare subclade not identified in the company's testing capacity. Anyone have the same experience? THANKS! :)

td120
08-01-2018, 06:31 PM
....I obviously have a rare subclade not identified in the company's testing capacity. Anyone have the same experience? THANKS! :)

This. Or you are really "just H Haplogroup & H only". Deeper testing needed . Now mtFull analysis is $149 at FTDNA (summer promo campaign has just started) .

Ana26K
08-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Okay that explanation also makes sense too. Thanks for responding!

chelle
08-03-2018, 08:26 AM
I was given H3 on 23andme, so I was surprised when LivingDNA gave me just H and keep thinking it will change at some point.

TopLobster
08-04-2018, 12:47 PM
I was given only I1 for my Y-DNA haplogroup. I did a full test with YSEQ I1 superclade and discovered I had a somewhat rare subclade. Most people with I1 are downstream of I1a, while I am downstream of I1c.

Living DNA did tell me the subclade for my Mt-DNA though, with more detail than 23andMe gave.

msmarjoribanks
08-04-2018, 02:37 PM
LivingDNA gave me my full mtDNA subclade too, whereas 23andMe didn't quite (K2b vs. K2b2). It probably just depends on the particular subclade and where the distinguishing mutations are.

Geborgenheit
08-09-2018, 01:01 PM
This. Or you are really "just H Haplogroup & H only". Deeper testing needed . Now mtFull analysis is $149 at FTDNA (summer promo campaign has just started) .

Deeper testing does not guarantee that any subclade will be determined. I am "H" after full mtDNA analysis by FTDNA.

MacUalraig
08-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Deeper testing does not guarantee that any subclade will be determined. I am "H" after full mtDNA analysis by FTDNA.

Have you uploaded your mutations to Genbank? for future scientific consideration.

Geborgenheit
08-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Have you uploaded your mutations to Genbank? for future scientific consideration.

Yes, I have done it in April. I have tried to persuade my 0 genetic distance matches to upload their data as well which hasn't been successful.

td120
08-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Then you are "H only" :-)
I have not been successful in persuading my matches to upload theirs either. What is worse some of them are hesitant to mark the place of birth of their most distant known ancestor too (after spending $199 on the test)...weird.

Geborgenheit
08-10-2018, 05:25 PM
You can ask them directly. :) Actually, only one match hasn't responded to me, others have told me about their known ancestors.

td120
08-10-2018, 08:37 PM
That I did. Polite and detailed instruction what to do etc(8 zero-distance matches)...a kid would do it it no time.Alas...only one person responded with info about his ancestor AND conviniently forgot to put the place of birth on the map. Laziness or paranoia, I do not know :-)

Ana26K
08-12-2018, 06:19 PM

Exactly, I don't want to run risk of shelling out more money to be told what I already know again.

jshook
08-16-2018, 02:37 PM
I was given H3 on 23andme, so I was surprised when LivingDNA gave me just H and keep thinking it will change at some point.

I had this same exact result (just H for LivingDNA but H3 for 23andMe.) Conversely, LivingDNA gave me a paternal haplogroup of R-Z9 whereas 23andMe originally stopped upstream at R-L48. 23andMe has since updated though to match the Z9 result.

Geborgenheit
08-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Exactly, I don't want to run risk of shelling out more money to be told what I already know again.

To be fair, I have found out more with Full Sequence test despite no subclade designation. First, I do have some "private" mutations in the mtDNA control region which will eventually become a new subclade when more people will test. I have also found exact matches and can make some conclusions about geographic distribution of my cousins. I have also ordered the mtDNA report from Ann Turner.

Mango
08-22-2018, 05:13 AM
Same thing but with 23andme

jshook
08-28-2018, 12:53 AM
For what it's worth, I emailed them about this (I also only get H with them but H3 with 23andMe). This was the reply:

I can see that we have given you results for your fatherline (Y haplogroup) with a subclade, but I can also see the results for your motherline haplogroup shows without a subclade.

When you look at the haplogroup that has been assigned to you, it's important to know that the detail of the results will depend on which of the markers that we test for are positive for your DNA sample. If the sample is of low quality or quantity, it may not be possible for a particular marker that you're expecting to be tested as positive.

Each company will select markers based on certain criteria and so may be able to deliver differing calls. The markers on our custom Orion chip have been chosen to provide better representation in a wider range of global populations, allowing us to give results to a wider section of people.

We have included roughly 20,000 SNP locations on the Y chromosome, and over 4,000 SNP locations on your mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA).

But even with all those markers being included it may mean that there are a few cases we are not able to assign a subclade or take you as far in to the tree as you may expect. In these cases, we will assign the relevant branch in your haplogroup only.

In order for us to be able to provide more information, we would need to re-design our testing chip. Unfortunately at this time we are not able to start such a large project. We are always working to improve the information we offer for our customers and will be delivering updates to the service, so it may be something that we look at over the coming years.

greerpalmer
09-04-2018, 05:20 PM
I feel pretty fortunate, as an H24a1 most tests identify H24, WeGene went to H24a, but LivingDNA was the deepest at H24a1

FionnSneachta
09-04-2018, 05:42 PM
Living DNA was good for me too. It revealed that I was H6a1b2. I recently did the full sequence with FTDNA and it revealed the same thing so I only gained matches with FTDNA.