PDA

View Full Version : Question about Jewish Results on GED Match and statistical significance

curiousDNAguy12
08-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Hey everyone

I'm kind of a novice with DNA stuff but have an understanding of statistics and am curious about my family's 'path' throughout history. I know I'm mostly Ashkenazi (said specifically from Romania, Moldova, Ukraine) with 6% Spanish and 4% Levantine (Ancestry), but I wanted to dive more deeply into what Ashkenazi truly is since we've been everywhere. After fiddling around with each calculator, this was by far the most significant statistically (even less than .5 at times). Which one would you consider correct about my ancient ancestries? And also, what does Turkish mean? Isn't turkish a mix in itself? Also, why do some say Spanish, while others say Romanian? Wouldn't those be pretty different genetically?

Also, i'm guessing these are more 'ancient' populations since I know from the other calculator I've been mostly Ashkenazi for the most recent history. Is that a correct way to read this? As in, these kinds of ancient peoples joined together and then intermarried and became Ashkenazi? And if I was Ashkenazi, shouldn't I be reading as more Italian than Spanish? I thought that was more sephardic.

Please help a curious guy out!

CItalianDodecad + Murcia1000Genomes + SamaritiansBehar + Turkish_Dodecad - 0.487971

Andalucia1000Genomes + CItalianDodecad + SamaritiansBehar + TurkishDodecad - 0.532950

AshkenazyJewsBehar + RomaniansBehar + SamaritiansBehar + SicilianDodecad - 0.579648

Cantabria1000Genomes + S_ItalianSicilianDodecad + SamaritiansBehar + TurkishDodecad 0 0.629836

AshkenaziDodecad + RomaniansBehar + SamaritiansBehar + SicilianDodecad - 0.656467

CItalianDodecad + Galicia1000Genomes + SamaritiansBehar + TurkishDodecad - 0.664137

BalkarsYunusbayev + SamaritiansBehar + SardinianHGDP + TuscanHGDP - 0.688942

CItalianDodecad + CastillaYLeon1000Genomes + SamaritiansBehar + TurkishDodecad - 0.694244

Thanks

Dmitry
08-11-2018, 11:28 PM
Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry is generally thought of as a mixture of Levantine men and North Italian women, being 50% of each. However, there is an interesting thread going on in this forum about Western Jews where people are discussing the possibility that Jews descend from Agean Greeks and Levantines.

palamede
08-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry is generally thought of as a mixture of Levantine men and North Italian women, being 50% of each. However, there is an interesting thread going on in this forum about Western Jews where people are discussing the possibility that Jews descend from Agean Greeks and Levantines.

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?14484-Could-Western-Jews-(Ash-and-Seph-)-descend-from-Aegeans-and-Levantine-admixture

It needs to be cautious with the results of the mix of several populations. Somes mixes are a proxi with balanced mixing of remote populations and the more interesting are the nearest ones of the history of your ancestry. It is preferable to select the mixed results according to what certain you know from your ancestry and then to discover the remaining pops what does the calculator select to balance in order of giving you the nearest result.

generally, the calculators work from a whole set of SNPs and don't select particular haplotypes which could particularize your ancestry in particular ancestral populations, it is the reason to find good resulst with remote populations without relation with the great majority pf our ancstry. I was told 23andme uses haplotypes, but their results have not been very convincing until now . Maybe in the future we can hope important improvments

HaSofer
08-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Is it true that Italian, Greek and Jewish dna is very similar?

palamede
08-26-2018, 04:20 PM
Is it true that Italian, Greek and Jewish dna is very similar?

There is already a big file about this subject
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?14484-Could-Western-Jews-(Ash-and-Seph-)-descend-from-Aegeans-and-Levantine-admixture