PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people prefer bitter drinks?

Clinton P
10-25-2013, 06:32 PM
"There's been a wave of popularity for drinks like the Aperol spritz, the Negroni, and a host of cocktails flavoured with "bitters". Why are people turning their backs on sweet cocktails in favour of a bitter taste?"

Click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24616185) to read more about this story.

You can find your 'Bitter Taste Perception' at 23andMe > Traits > Marker: rs713598

Clinton P

MikeWhalen
10-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Blah, Ewww, Ptweewy!
I despise the bitter stuff, be it beer or some of those ridiculous after dinner drink type things

if bad guys ever wanted to torture me, make me listen to justin bieber or drink bitters would pretty much break my soul!

-in any case, this is my result-no clue what it means though

Gene Position SNP Versions Michael Whalen's Genotype
TAS2R38 141673345 rs713598 C or G CG

M

Ian B
10-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Leaving alcoholic drinks aside for a moment, how about unsweetened black Tea or Coffee, both are bitter to the taste and yet are consumed around the world. Native drinks such as Kava, and the sour milk drinks of the Steppe people are also sour. Doesn't seem to make sense, does it?

alan
10-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Hot sure about bitterness but I dislike the very sugary beers and lagers and prefer the slightly bitter very dark beers.

R. Walker
10-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Campari/soda with a twist for me. Although I had to learn to like it. My Italian grandpa was a Fernet.Branca man. My Italian father preferred a small glass of beer over wine.

ilmari
10-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Blah, Ewww, Ptweewy!
I despise the bitter stuff, be it beer or some of those ridiculous after dinner drink type things

if bad guys ever wanted to torture me, make me listen to justin bieber or drink bitters would pretty much break my soul!

-in any case, this is my result-no clue what it means though

Gene Position SNP Versions Michael Whalen's Genotype
TAS2R38 141673345 rs713598 C or G CG

M

My results are the same, but I can both taste and enjoy bitter things, and I do very much, particularly bitters!