PDA

View Full Version : LivingDNA and Findmypast

JFWinstone
08-28-2018, 08:32 PM
I clicked on the DNA tab on findmypast out of curiousity and it looks like they are teaming up with livingdna.

It says this on the page: Already done an ancestry DNA test?
Get the world's most detailed ethnicity results for free, including your British and Irish regional breakdown. You'll also be able to connect with living family members if you choose to. We accept autosomal DNA uploads from AncestryDNA, 23andMe, MyHeritage and Family Tree DNA. If you have a different test please contact us on [email protected]

Yet when you click on the link to upload DNA it says that "You will also have the option to upgrade your account to get further analysis of your results such as ethnicity breakdowns" suggesting that it will be a purchaseable upgrade..

So which page is correct? The one on findmypast or the one on livingdna. Another stunt to try to get more uploads for their matching service? I've emailed them, will see what their reply is. :suspicious:

timberwolf
08-28-2018, 10:32 PM
I clicked on the DNA tab on findmypast out of curiousity and it looks like they are teaming up with livingdna.

It says this on the page: Already done an ancestry DNA test?
Get the world's most detailed ethnicity results for free, including your British and Irish regional breakdown. You'll also be able to connect with living family members if you choose to. We accept autosomal DNA uploads from AncestryDNA, 23andMe, MyHeritage and Family Tree DNA. If you have a different test please contact us on [email protected]

Yet when you click on the link to upload DNA it says that "You will also have the option to upgrade your account to get further analysis of your results such as ethnicity breakdowns" suggesting that it will be a purchaseable upgrade..

So which page is correct? The one on findmypast or the one on livingdna. Another stunt to try to get more uploads for their matching service? I've emailed them, will see what their reply is. :suspicious:

The matching service that never seems to go live. I would doubt the ancestry estimate will be free.

I will be very interested to see what their response to your email will be? Assuming you get a reply.

JFWinstone
08-29-2018, 11:28 AM
The matching service that never seems to go live. I would doubt the ancestry estimate will be free.

I will be very interested to see what their response to your email will be? Assuming you get a reply.

I'll let you all know when/if I hear back. I'm going on the assumption that the ethnicity won't be free and that the write up on the findmypast website is incorrect.

JFWinstone
08-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Quick reply "We are currently accepting uploads via our Find My Past partnership.

Those who upload via Find My Past will receive free access to our Family Networks service and a free autosomal DNA ancestry breakdown. Please note that the offer of this ancestry breakdown is for a limited time - customers uploading to us after this offer expires will receive access to Family Networks only"

FionnSneachta
08-29-2018, 06:12 PM
My issue with this is that I think that I uploaded through Find My Past. I followed their links on Find My Past but it still just led me to the Living DNA website with nothing to say that I had uploaded through Find My Past. I'm wary that at the end of this, they'll tell me that I didn't upload through Find My Past and that I won't get the ethnicity update despite that being the only way to upload. They haven't released any updates on time that give me much confidence or trust in the company to be honest. I hope that we will end up getting the ethnicity estimate but it wouldn't surprise me if at the end of this, they somehow go back on their word in some way. I just don't have much confidence in them at the moment.

timberwolf
08-29-2018, 06:46 PM
My issue with this is that I think that I uploaded through Find My Past. I followed their links on Find My Past but it still just led me to the Living DNA website with nothing to say that I had uploaded through Find My Past. I'm wary that at the end of this, they'll tell me that I didn't upload through Find My Past and that I won't get the ethnicity update despite that being the only way to upload. They haven't released any updates on time that give me much confidence or trust in the company to be honest. I hope that we will end up getting the ethnicity estimate but it wouldn't surprise me if at the end of this, they somehow go back on their word in some way. I just don't have much confidence in them at the moment.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

sktibo
09-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Good point.

Titane
09-03-2018, 07:41 PM
I decided to try uploading to them as well and it tells me my status is "awaiting testing". Then when I look at their Family Networks page, I don't particularly like the phrase that once it's there, it is considered public. Really, I was curious about the ethnicity analysis that seems better than average at the moment, but nowhere does it says how much it will cost for the "upgrade"...

shazou
09-05-2018, 05:08 AM
Should we upload 23andme V4/5/3/2, Ancestry.com, FTDNA, or MH raw data for the most accurate and highest genotyping rated results?