PDA

View Full Version : H1bi

kujira692
08-30-2018, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone,

Just got my LivingDNA results and my maternal haplogroup is H1bi, and I was wondering is that downstream of H1b, or is it something different than H1b? I hope that made sense *haha*.

Thank you for any input!

geebee
09-12-2018, 03:29 AM
It's something different from H1b. It isn't downstream of H1b at all, but is at the same level as H1a. Oddly enough, H1b is downstream of H1a.

Here's a link to the R0 branch of the mtDNA phylotree. HV and H are downstream of R0, so they and their subclades are included in this branch. http://www.phylotree.org/tree/R0.htm

I think the simplest explanation for why some haplogroup names seem "out of pattern" is that sometimes when a SNP is determined to define a new haplogroup, the designation that would fit the pattern has already been used. To use that designation anyway could end up requiring that a lot of existing haplogroups be renamed. And it is likely that a number of papers have already been written using the existing names, which would likely result in a great deal of confusion. So sometimes it's better to "break" the pattern, or at least "bend" it.